• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can't easily play Mario Kart 8 online with friends against others.

Spman2099

It doesn't have that function. You can play online multiplayer together in the same location split screen, though. But if you want online parties etc it's not that console.

But we need to acknowledge how absurd that is...

I don't understand how Nintendo can so consistently get the easy stuff wrong.

Future

I fundamentally don't understand why you wouldn't allow parties. Maybe it's for family environment? No parties of 6 owning the tracks and making it harder for randoma?

hiim_haz

Banned
It was like that on the Wii U version too. It's annoying but I hope with the paid online service in the fall they'll fix a lot of the annoyances playing with friends online.

The post is hyperbolic but it does highlight the truth, mainly that Nintendo constantly make things more difficult for themselves and their consumers.

Sure but their online system isn't in place yet. I'm fine with using the old system for Mario Kart and Splatoon until it launches.

Smasher89

In the wii u version, you can play with friends you recently played with, so if a friend joins any cup, you can join the friends lobby after the first race i think!
Use that for a number of players to get what you want!

Didnt they say that a party system is coming with the fall release of their new online system?

oh but you need a smartphone cuz their tablet cant handle an app for some reason

Jubenhimer

Considering this is a port of a Wii U game, I'm not really surprised. What makes it annoying is due the fact that the Switch doesn't have a system wide Join Game function yet, something even the 3DS has had for years. Granted it took until fall 2011 for the 3DS to get one but still. I imagine this would come with the launch of the Smart Phone app, and fuller online features of the system, but that just makes it worse. They should've had this stuff ready a lot sooner. For how well Nintendo has handled everything else about the Switch, you'd think getting a fully featured online service out at or near launch would be a top priority. But Nintendo is famously inconsistent and slow with online gaming that it doesn't surprise anyone at this point.

13ruce

Banned
Whether it's well done or not, cheap or not, they still want to make people pay for online.
That's the only thing I can't swallow.
And never will.

I won't pay unless it's 25 bucks max a year not gonna pay 50 for Nintendo online and never will.

Gator86

Classic Nintendo - stellar 1st party games and hilarious incompetence at literally everything else. People should stop expecting Nintendo to be good at things not developing good games. It would be great if they were, but it's not gonna happen.

Yah its annoying that Nintendo doesn't have their online infastructure in place already. Should have been there at launch of the system no excuses about it. Let's not shit on MK8 though, played the game for 4 hours last night with just randoms racing and it was buttery smooth. The game looks and runs amazing imo.

I am hoping once the paid service launches, they will have a huge update for the system that has a party chat feature and just more online features like psn and xbox live have. All games should be integrated into that system MK8 included.

Even normal online is funky. Half the time when I join an online lobby as a spectator it doesn't work and boots me out due to a "communication error."

It's the same way in Mario Kart 7 (3DS 2011) and Mario Kart Wii (Wii 2008). Someone joins a worldwide/regional public lobby, then all his friends try to join him via the in-game friend list.

Sounds like it's the same as on Wii U. But me and my regular clique never had much problem with it. Worst case is you gotta wait one race to join.

I personally think the way Nintendo treats multiplayer is on of the reasons they did so poor with the Wii U and will be a reason why the Switch won't really do amazing.

I guess they just underestimate how important peer pressure is. Why is cod so popular? Because everyone is saying 'hey bro, let's play the new cod together'. No one say that with Nintendo games. I wish Pikmin 3 challenge mode was online Co op. It's such a pain to get my friends to come over. I also never bought Mario 3d world because it didn't have online.

Prologue

Its a shame the game got as reviewed highly as it did. Reviewers need to take harder stances on features like this and send Nintendo a message.

I had in game chat back in 2002 with xbox live and game invites.

Acerac

Banned
93 metacritic because everyone loves nintendo nostalgia. I bet no reviews mention any of this
Goddamn Nintendo games only reviewing well because of nostalgia! First Zelda, now Mario Kart!!!!

hecan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

I personally think the way Nintendo treats multiplayer is on of the reasons they did so poor with the Wii U and will be a reason why the Switch won't really do amazing.

I guess they just underestimate how important peer pressure is. Why is cod so popular? Because everyone is saying 'hey bro, let's play the new cod together'. No one say that with Nintendo games. I wish Pikmin 3 challenge mode was online Co op. It's such a pain to get my friends to come over. I also never bought Mario 3d world because it didn't have online.

This isn't the reason Wii U did terrible and it's not going to hinder the Switch, which is already the opposite of the Wii U in terms of success and marketability.

Your post is pretty off base.

Its a shame the game got as reviewed highly as it did. Reviewers need to take harder stances on features like this and send Nintendo a message.

I had in game chat back in 2002 with xbox live and game invites.

Sad this post isn't sarcasm.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I fundamentally don't understand why you wouldn't allow parties. Maybe it's for family environment? No parties of 6 owning the tracks and making it harder for randoma?

Maybe because they want to advertise the new online subscription features with Mario Kart 8D?

Prologue

This isn't the reason Wii U did terrible and it's not going to hinder the Switch, which is already the opposite of the Wii U in terms of success and marketability.

Its sad that you think its acceptable regarding the stance nintendo has taken with online play during the last decade. I know it might blow your mind, but some people actually like to be social when they play their games. They like to talk to their friends while playing MULTIPLAYER oriented games. Some people even dare to talk to strangers, converse with them and maybe even add them for future matches.

This type of interaction does not exist in Nintendo's ecosystem. I cannot chat in game during races in mario kart .I cannot chat in game during matches of smash brothers. There is no online co op for any main stream mario game. Its a complete joke and borderline embarrasement when a company refuses to offer similar services of more successful competitors and continues to ignore the market trend and customer feedback.

Online play isn't new. I enjoyed it almost 3 console generations ago. And it continues to be like this because of Nintendo fans like yourself.

I don't think it's the sole reason Wii U failed. But it's jus t one more straw on the camels back.

Yes Switch is doing better than Wii U. But I don't feel like it will sell all that well if it doesn't embrace the conventional multiplayer that users are accustomed to.

Multiplayer sells systems. Word of mouth sells systems. Peer pressure sells systems. I strongly believe that if the switch doesn't have a strong multiplayer component, it will be hindered.

Timeaisis

My only huge complaint is you can't race just CPUs in a tournament lobby. If you could, you could just play forever while friends popped in and out.

Tournament lobbies are awesome. I don't know why more games don't use this feature.

Why can't they compete in hardware?
I guess it's more like... they refuse to, I guess. Nintendo always insisted that they don't compete with Microsoft or Sony in the hardware sector as an excuse for their underpowered hardware. It turns away third parties - they don't want to divert resources to a gimped version that won't sell well anyway.

Plus Nintendo is the king of exorbitant fees and devs costs. Do you know why Nintendo insists on proprietary discs/carts? So devs can pay a Nintendo tax. I'm sure this added costs further alienates a number of devs. There's your $10 "Switch" tax and why multiplatform games are pricey-er on Switch.

So I'm trying to play with my friends. We have the PS4 and the mic setup to group chat and to coordinate when an open spot comes up. Finally all got in and got an error after one game. What a fucking joke Nintendo.

I hate to say it but every one of you who bought a Switch after WiiU should have known better.Everything leading up to the launch signaled it wasn't ready for prime time and all you get for having to wait for basic features is early beta access and reasons to make threads.

It's like upset Trump voters who feel betrayed he didn't really drain the swamp but instead made it deeper and more corrupt.I mean I feel for ya but c'mon really...

Nosgotham

how hard is it to join your friends game in progress? its simple but it works fine. unless the game is full, then it suckss

I might remember this wrong, but didn't the WiiU version put you in a queue to join a friends match if the lobby is full and you would watch the races until a spot opens up?

Its sad that you think its acceptable regarding the stance nintendo has taken with online play during the last decade. I know it might blow your mind, but some people actually like to be social when they play their games. They like to talk to their friends while playing MULTIPLAYER oriented games. Some people even dare to talk to strangers, converse with them and maybe even add them for future matches.

This type of interaction does not exist in Nintendo's ecosystem. I cannot chat in game during races in mario kart .I cannot chat in game during matches of smash brothers. There is no online co op for any main stream mario game. Its a complete joke and borderline embarrasement when a company refuses to offer similar services of more successful competitors and continues to ignore the market trend and customer feedback.

Online play isn't new. I enjoyed it almost 3 console generations ago. And it continues to be like this because of Nintendo fans like yourself.

Maybe step back a bit a realize that if people do not have an issue with it, it's just that, they do not have an issue with it. If you have, good, complain and see if they get the message. But don't demand that from everyone while calling out that people just excuse this because "it's Nintendo".

"We have parties and lobbies in fall 2017 finally, please give us money"

You are aware that this system will have like a good time of free trial right

I might remember this wrong, but didn't the WiiU version put you in a queue to join a friends match if the lobby is full and you would watch the races until a spot opens up?

Nope, that would have been a good thing, but it might be unbearable for their servers. It just says that your friend is in a full match and that you can't join

deoee

Even if you manage to catch a game with free slots there's still the many connection errors that can occur depending on who joins whom

ZeoVGM

Banned
It doesn't have that function. You can play online multiplayer together in the same location split screen, though. But if you want online parties etc it's not that console.

Yes, that's the point of the thread.

Pointing out that the console/game not having that function is ridiculous and fairly unacceptable.

You can join friends when they are online. So say if Bob was playing online in normal online races i can apply to join his lobby. It may take a couple of races to get there as it relies on people dropping out of that lobby - which happens every race, but it can be done.

That's literally what he said.

Are people not reading the OP before replying?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I fucking love Mario Kart online. Haters gonna hate.

You're missing the point of the thread.

Mario Kart online is amazing. MK8 is one of the best online gameplay experiences I've had. No one is arguing that.

This thread is specifically about being able to easily jump in and play a game with your friend -- with 10 other random people.

There is no valid argument or excuse as to why this isn't a feature in the game. And no, it doesn't matter if they're planning some sort of lobby system in the fall. When it comes out and if it works well, then that's awesome. But we don't know how it will work yet. And the fact is, for as much as I love the Switch, it was a rushed launch that is missing basic features that have been part of consoles for 10 years now.

No one is a "hater" pointing out the unarguable fact that Nintendo is still years behind on many online features.

Sure but their online system isn't in place yet. I'm fine with using the old system for Mario Kart and Splatoon until it launches.

Except parties have been supported by free online services for over a decade now. Why do we have to wait?

People saying how it was like this on wii u are missing the point. This was borderline not good enough from Mario kart on GameCube, let alone the DS, 3DS, wii, and wii u games since. I've got phone games with more functionality online than this for free.

The sad thing is people trusting the wait and see approach. Like what has Nintendo ever done to prove we should trust them on online?

Prologue

Maybe step back a bit a realize that if people do not have an issue with it, it's just that, they do not have an issue with it. If you have, good, complain and see if they get the message. But don't demand that from everyone while calling out that people just excuse this because "it's Nintendo".

You are aware that this system will have like a good time of free trial right

Nope, that would have been a good thing, but it might be unbearable for their servers. It just says that your friend is in a full match and that you can't join

I might enjoy the exclusives that xbox one has to offer, but i would be ignorant to think sony doesn't have a more wider selection. I might not have a problem with it, but less people will end up buying the console and ill end up getting less exclusive titles. The more people end up buying my console, the more games I get.

There is something deeply wrong with the philosophy of nintendo, theres something wrong with the reviewers who don't punish them more for it and the gamers who don't make more demands.

10/10 for a multiplayer game I cant even talk to my friends on. Its like giving me cereal without the milk and having the nerve to tell me thats a meal.

Top Bottom