• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst behind predicting ps4 pro and slim says ps4 sucessor is coming 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yes please.

I welcome the return of 5 year generations. Even if the definition of generations has changed.

No thanks.

Also....

PS1 December 1994 - March 2000
PS2 March 2000 - November 2006
PS3 November 2006 - November 2013

Every Sony console has had more than 5 years, even PS1 technically, it just wasn't something we initially saw in the West.

6-7 years is not abnormal.

jelly

You will be buying Last of Us 2 Remastered in 2020 for PS5. 60fps 4K and with max AF and better AA. Oh yeah!

Justinh

Analyst in 2018:
MY1G6.gif

Sony in 2018:
c7a403898bc8e155740a9bgust.png

The way Sony's been killing it this gen, you'd think their cup would be all-the-way full.

I have a hard time believing this, but it's not like I'm in the know or anything. It just seems wasteful since they products they have out now are still selling well (well enough, I'd assumed at least) and it really feels too soon after the Pro.

Lol great way to piss off the most loyal customers who just bought a PS4 Pro.

No, this won't happen. Even 2019 is too early and would just let MS knock them down from the hill a year later yet again. No, Sony need to just sit calmly at their throne with their 2:1 lead and let MS make the first mistake before ending this generation.
Ms isn't knockinfg them down in this situation. It's even...

Later than 2019 is too late.

jdmonmou

i thought the point of the Ps4 pro was to elongate this gen. now all of a sudden it will be shorter than last gen?

fuck that shit, the longer the better
I thought the point of the Pro was to get a jump on creating 4K content and to stop people from leaving Playstation to buy PCs - not to elongate this gen.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How could Sony sell a PS5 Pro after doing that?

It's really, really unlikely.

A lot of other people predicted a mid-gen hardware refresh this go-around, so it's not like his prediction of that is a real shocker.

And everyone should have predicted a PS4 Slim, it was incredibly obvious and not worth mentioning.

See you in 2019 or 2020.

Fuck no. This system feels like it barely had time to live

Agreed.

5 year gens would be good but I don't see it. They are making a lot of money still. They would be mad to push a new gen so soon.

Id give it 2 years to unveiling

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Sony has way too much momentum going with the PS4 to put out PS5 that early. A PS4-Pro slim instead sounds more feasible.

It's an analyst who saw the writing on the wall for something like the Pro (as many others predicted) happening making stuff up.

Anyone could have predicted a PS4 Slim as well, except those "Wow, PS4 is already slim, so there'll be no PS4 Slim" types from 2013 (who were obviously wrong). He's not privy to something we don't know.
so you're saying he didn't substantiate anything?
Last gen was too long to be fair, I doubt we'll ever get one longer, even with mid gen upgrades. 5-6 years is normally the average.
if 6 years is an average, then 1 year longer then that is "far too long"? that's the Ps3's life anyways

Orayn

Regardless of when PS5 comes out, I wonder if we'll see cross-gen games that use a single SKU. Seems like it could be a decent way to serve a large install base and ease the transition.

Toni

Its going to be either a 2020 release or to even better facilitate development cycles for devs, a 2021 November release.

Ihyll

Don't see why it's a hard thing to believe....it will be roughly the same amount of time between the ps2 and PS3 and the PS2 was selling almost as well as the PS4 is selling now

ngower

Way too early. There were 4.5 years between Wii U and Switch and many feel that was too short. A PS5 launch would be around 5 years after the PS4 launched, and with a huge install base that's bought into the system. There's zero reason for them to do it and the optics would look atrocious.

PS4 2013
PS4P 2016
PS5 2019
Yeah I don't know why people see it as unlikely. Later than or on 2020 is too late and binds you to losing a huge gap to ms for three years as well as ps4 tech. You also need that refresh for games to lock into a new box and for people to need a reason to buy a new box and not just keep the old boxes.

It's ok, it happens every time, people complain about it then that dies off as the hype with new games on new hardware emerges

Saw compliants about Scorpio and then a ton of excitement for the df reveal before it happened

I think it's possible. The only reason the last gen was prolonged was because of the recession and economic uncertainty. Generally a console generation only lasts 5 years. Microsoft even has a precedent for 4 year life cycles so they could market Scorpio as a brand new console if they wanted to.

Eh. I could see it, though i think it's happening in 2019. I think they'll keep with the 3 year gap. Sony doesn't need to respond to Scorpio. That would actually show weakness.

mas8705

It would definitely piss off alot of people if Sony tried to pull that stunt off. Seems like this would be something that would happen a couple of years from now, but not something that would happen next year.

Not to be rude, but does this Analyst know that the PS4 Pro was just released? Would be a bit backwards peddling to release brand new hardware when you just released something else just prior to help add to the longevity of a console generation.

I can see them having discussions with manufacturing partners, finalising specs and all that behind the scenes stuff that happens before a device is ready for the public... But an actual announcement, any kind of confirmation of it existence and a release date in 2018 just doesn't seem believable to me at all. count me in the 2019/2020 group.

The only exception would be if Scorpio sales are inorganically high with PS4 sales collapsing to force their hand — and the chances of that happening are pretty low.

This is how I see it. Didn't Sony quote the Pro as a "mid-gen" upgrade?, which would then line up with this timeline.
They were also strong rumors they were going to make pro more powerful in response to Scorpio. Maybe there response ended up being to bring out new hardware and keep pro profitable

Keep in mind we also saw things as ms not being ready to show and release Xbox one and Sony hit in February and said it's coming this year.

Who's to say they don't show it and release it in the same manner. They will do the same basic thing cause it worked last time, rather it works again or not...

Baleoce

Consumers feel its too soon, because they're still feeling that the platform is getting into its stride. But let's be honest, it's been out a good while now. I don't think it's too unbelievable to think a console that launched November 2013, could have a successor in fall 2018.

Remember as well, when a company says "we plan on supporting platform X until 20xx" that means exactly what they say. It doesn't mean anything with regards to when they'll introduce a new platform.

2019 at the earliest, quarter one of 2020 at the latest. PS5 will definitely be announced in 2019.
Edit: Staggered release but the first PS5 will be released in 2019.

Assuming it's operating on the tick-tock model, even two years after the Pro may be too soon. Shot in the dark, perhaps a March 2019 release.

Personally I'll be happy to get it sooner to skip the Pro entirely.

jdmonmou

What's the point of blocking out base model if PS5 still has to be compatible with Pro?
Yeah, PS5 should be a true generational leap forward not another slight upgrade like the Pro was. This is why I was a strong believer that releasing the Pro was a mistake. It'd make it harder for Sony to come out with the PS5. Everyone would be cool with Sony coming out with the PS5 in 2018 if there was no Pro and Sony would have the most powerful console on the market.

Fredrik

Ms isn't knockinfg them down in this situation. It's even...

Later than 2019 is too late.
MS will get the "best console for multiplats" position this year and would get it again a year after PS5 arrives if Sony rush it.

The thing is, Sony is not the one who need to push for a new generation to start, they're owning everyone this generation, it would be plain stupid if they were the ones who ended this generation.

WillyFive

Surprised at so many people thinking 2018 is too soon. By the standards of past console generations, that would around the right time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom