• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst behind predicting ps4 pro and slim says ps4 sucessor is coming 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlauv

It would be a mistake.

Sony already made people looking for more advanced tech buy a PS4 Pro.

I can see a mixed reaction if it happens.

Edit: Oh, a Pro Slim with UHD seems viable.

Sony and Microsoft are having a Tic Tok power arms race.

Announcing a more powerful console for 2018 basically kills any 3rd party momentum Scorpio would have. The Microsoft will announce a Scorpio 2 for 2019 Sony a PSNext for 2020 ect

I think Sony cares more about how well their console is selling vs an arms race with MS.

2019 would mark the 6th year that the PS4/Xb1 is on the market, don't expect a true next gen machine until then at the earliest. Tech hasn't gotten generations better yet and the PS4 is selling really well.

kmfdmpig

The article suggests it would be a Pro slim or Pro + or something, not a PS5.

There have been other rumors about that including some that suggest it would have a UHD.

Fredrik

Ehhhh I hope not. Maybe the PS360 era through everything off for me, but I feel like we're only barely past the halfway mark
Same here. I can't believe people are down for this, either lots of people are super rich here or they didn't buy the Pro. I mean what if PSVR2 would come out in 2018, would that be okay too?
I hope this is all bs.

jaypah

The article suggests it would be a Pro slim or Pro + or something, not a PS5.

There have been other rumors about that including some that suggest it would have a UHD.

It would be hilarious if the introduced a PS4Pro with a UHD drive. I'd buy it day one though. Otherwise I expect PS5 to be announced and released in 2019. 2020 gives MS too much of a chance.

jdmonmou

Same here. I can't believe people are down for this, either lots of people are super rich here or they didn't buy the Pro. I mean what if PSVR2 would come out in 2018, would that be okay too?
I hope this is all bs.
I think a lot of OG PS4 owners didn't buy the Pro so there will be a lot of people eager for the PS5

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lol. Imagine.

MS: We welcome you to Xbox Scorpio! The most powerful console on the market.
Sony: Introducing the PlayStation 5! The most powerful console on the market.

This won't happen
GAF would explode.

I can see 2019 tho.

Hexa

2018 seems possible but unlikely. 2019 seem reasonably possible. 2020 is what I'm betting on though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This analyst is terrible at his job.

No way Sony is cutting off their most successful console ever next year. Even if Microsoft somehow closed the gap to like 5 million consoles Sony wouldn't do it if their pace didn't slow much.

2014 was the cross gen period, pretty much every major game was also on the PS360 too. A lot of 2015's too.
even if the Ps4 came out in 2014, making it 8 years for new playstation hardware, I would've been fine with that too. as far as crossgen goes, that happened last year too, it can happen this year as well

Crayon

I think most buyers would be those that skipped out on the Pro. Pro owners will be upset but will still buy to be able to play PS5 games.

I know I'd be in line to get one as a day 1 PS4 owner that didn't buy a Pro. After 5 years I'm OK with a next gen PS5.

I didn't buy a pro and it would take a hell of a game to get me to buy a ps5 in 2018. My thinking is that pro buyers are willing to spend extra money for access to no extra games. Of course, people from both camps will buy it in at least some number. So who really knows. Like I said a 2018 release would be some shit and sony had better have a pretty clever plan if they went for that.

Way too soon after the Pro imo. I feel like the PS4 is still chucking along nicely and doing well. PS5 at the end of 2019 would be the best for me.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Too soon. Ps4 doing great atm. Now's the time when profits are highest. Big userbase, cheaper manufacturing.

Ps5 in 2018? Don't believe it

I do not expect the PS5 to launch next year and even if it did, there is no way they would announce it this year. 18 months announce to launch? No one does that anymore. Except for idiot microsoft with their scorpio. Still not sure what that was about. Really stopped Sony´s momentum there...

Anyway. 2019 announcement & launch. With the announcement coming at or shortly before E3.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Would a 10nm or 7nm process even exist so early? Sony still has to wait for cost reductions and transistors sizes to pack these kinds of things in, as well as Zen, and perhaps Navi in addition to next generation memory.

But they are not going to be able to do this on 16nm in a console sized box, even with vapor chamber cooling like Scorpio uses, they are gonna need everything they can.

That's why if this is real, i'm guessing its a Pro with a slimmer form factor or something like that and not an actual PS5

Floody

even if the Ps4 came out in 2014, making it 8 years for new playstation hardware, I would've been fine with that too. as far as crossgen goes, that happened last year too, it can happen this year as well

I wouldn't be upset or anything if the PS4 went on longer than 7 years, but like I was with the PS3 I'd be very close to just going to PC. I'd be more than happy with a late 2019 PS5 though, The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding sending the PS4 off with a bang in early 2019 after 2018 just gave it GoW, Spider-Man, FF7R part 1
stop laughing!
, and more.

Muffdraul

It def. does seem way too early. But after what happened last gen with the PS3 and 360, maybe now Sony is just absolutely psychotically determined to not give MS a chance to get ahead of them again.

Five years was normal keep in mind, last gen was the abnormality.

2018 was totally feasible before the Pro came about, now there's no where near a big enough leap to justify it. It's not going to come until 7nm is a reality and probably somewhat mature. I could see 2019 still and that would be more inline with the PS1 and PS2's life spans (and for the PS3 is was only an additional year) and still have the three year gap from the PS4 to Pro. Also might depend on how the Scorpio performs but still no way 2018 is happening for a PS5.

Do we know this for a fact though? You never know with Sony I feel like.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the reasons they went with AMD and X86 based hardware. As long as they stick with AMD there should be little issue, even after they dump Jaguar for a Zen based CPU.

I wouldn't be upset or anything if the PS4 went on longer than 7 years, but like I was with the PS3 I'd be very close to just going to PC. I'd be more than happy with a late 2019 PS5 though, The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding sending the PS4 off with a bang in early 2019 after 2018 just gave it GoW, Spider-Man, FF7R part 1
stop laughing!
, and more.
the last of us 2 and death stranding don't make me feel like the gen is ending though, only that it is thriving and could last a few years onward to 2020.

pswii60

Only way I can see this happening is if there's some revolutionary new feature that would entice people to upgrade (e.g. Something of Wii or Switch calibur). If it's just another power jump then that would be little more than a Pro 2, even with a CPU or memory bump. Horizon Zero Dawn on Pro shows that we're really not desperate for a new generation just yet, it's visually insane in every way.

Either that or they've got a new handheld launching in 2018 (with TV output). Can't have Nintendo having all that market to themselves. Or something.

Or it's bollocks.

If they did that I would be pretty much done with buying consoles for a long time. I'm fine with faster generation cycles but not on top of what they're doing with mid-generation cycles. I'd rather put my money into a PC (or another hobby) if I'm going to be rethinking my hardware every 2 years.

That would mean PS5 would get announced this E3 or early next year. I would go with early next year just like they did for the PS4.

I could definitely see some weird prototype hardware shown at E3 a la the prototype PS3 unit shown, but not actually launch for another year. It would make sense to try to steal Scorpio's thunder and create FUD for people thinking of switching back to Xbox.

I do think it's too early, and have felt the PS5 would be a JP launch in fall 2019 and NA launch in spring 2020 (for advertising reasons alone, 2020 is a sexy launch year). But if Sony is feeling the heat from Scorpio, maybe they've decided to move their timetable up.

Darknight

Nope, maybe announced 2019 with holiday launch but I feel 2020 is locked as PS4 will keep doing well specially at 200 bones.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I could definitely see some weird prototype hardware shown at E3 a la the prototype PS3 unit shown, but not actually launch for another year. It would make sense to try to steal Scorpio's thunder and create FUD for people thinking of switching back to Xbox.

I do think it's too early, and have felt the PS5 would be a JP launch in fall 2019 and NA launch in spring 2020 (for advertising reasons alone, 2020 is a sexy launch year). But if Sony is feeling the heat from Scorpio, maybe they've decided to move their timetable up.

PS4 launched in the west months before Japan, don't think they would bother to launch first in Japan after PS3 due to the contraction of the console market there

Floody

the last of us 2 and death stranding don't make me feel like the gen is ending though, only that it is thriving and could last a few years onward to 2020.

2020 will be the cross gen period, before the PS5 really takes over in my dream scenario. Give those like you who aren't yet ready to move on, but stops those like me jumping ship.

An early 2020 release would be fine for me too though.

A PS4 successor next year would be ridiculously under-powered for a next generation console succeeding the PS4 Pro.

In the event a next generation console features a GPU which isn't capable of 20TFs then hopefully the CPU will be significant improvement featuring 6+ Zen cores at 2.5GHz and above with over 24GB of memory.

Pachinko

Too soon , it'd only be on par with a Scorpio next year. 2019 though ? 8TF with a new CPU and 16 GB of ram should be more than do-able at 400 USD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom