• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grylvak

Can anyone post the latest countdown gif?

From the OP:

t1484280000z1.png

shingi70

Banned
Won't be pretty ordering live across the street from a Meijer. Will just get up at 4am and hang around the parking lot for two hours.

Again, more about Nintendo "skipping" a generation in mid 2000s, "gameplay over graphics" card played by Nintendo fans, and Nintendo's business decisions regarding hardware - and less about "any game can look better on future hardware/PC".

See, sure, SMG and SMG2 could've looked like SM3DW if it came out on a PS3-like console. But those games are critical darlings because of their gameplay. There is absolutely no way for us to know what would have happened if we got a PS3-like console instead of the Wii, because sure, the possibility for a SMG HD is there, but so is the possibility for just SM3DW and no Galaxy at all. Maybe if the world never got to see a game like Galaxy they would be able to play 3D World without wanting a Galaxy 3, but that's undoubtedly a sadder world, imo.

Maybe if we had a GC2 instead of the Wii, Fire Emblem would've sold better because it would've had better graphics which would've attracted the casual gamer. Or maybe it wouldn't have and sold even worse and just died off there. Maybe too much time would've been spent in trying to make a pretty game that would attract gamers that the gameplay suffered. Or maybe the gameplay itself took time away from prettying up the game, somehow. Or maybe it wouldn't have even come out for the console since Intelligent Systems wouldn't have experience developing HD games.

It just goes on and on, man. Sure, maybe we would've lived in a world where we could've gotten HD games that are great games much earlier, but we also could've gotten terrible games with great graphics. Or maybe great games with graphics that wouldn't have met your expectations, like 540p games upscaled to 720p.

There is no way to know because none of us live in this alternate universe where the GC2 happened. We live in the one with the Wii and the Wii U and the Switch.

And question 2: MonHun XX is releasing March 18th in Japan - a coincidence?

Give me a Switch with pack-in Splatoon, Zelda day one and MonHun XX and i'll pony up the money.

i promise

I kinda just expect a MH5 tbh, they could release it in late 2017 or early 2018 in Japan and then bring it over elsewhere. I mean, they've said they'd like to speed up their localization processes, so I could see the game coming out soon enough that Nintendo could reveal it along with stuff like Pokemon and Animal Crossing during E3 2017.

If XX did come to the Switch though, well, the Switch is gonna be sold out in Japan in a matter of minutes. Plus, if it's region lock free, then I can see tons of people importing the game, too. Would be insane.

Honestly, I can't believe Nintendo could've only predicted they'd sell 2M copies when a MH game and Splatoon is coming with the Switch at launch. If Mario and Zelda are also at launch, well, damn. I mean, at least 3M would've been a more likely expectation.

Moltenix

If Nintendo plays their cards right (launch games and price), I think this could very well be the first time I get a system at launch. For all you regular day-one'ers, how many games do you guys normally pick up at a system launch anyway?

I've almost always gotten my systems once a lot of games are available for bargain prices and pick up a whole bunch. Deciding what to get at full price and how much of it is foreign territory for me!

I'm expecting less units than 3DS when aligning sales from 2017 to 3DS sales from 2011.

The market has changed - I think 3DS was an easier sale back in 2011 as 1) Nintendo was following up on huge DS success and an active library of DS games and players, 2) 3DS had big tangible support from all major publishers in the industry from reveal and 3) the competition was different.

In 2011, the competition on handheld was eating into the kind of games DS brought to a wider audience in the first place, the threat was from pay-once-and-play $0.69 games like Angry Birds, games were very much still self-contained experiences. 3DS offered something different to that, an exclusive library of more complex titles made with more inputs in mind, and across several well-established IP.

In 2017, the smartphone threat has changed, the games people are playing are designed to be highly addictive and the market has matured to the point where only 39% of smartphone players fire up the App Store to look for new games - people are mostly playing service games which keep players engaged (and spending) over long periods of time, like Pokémon Go, Clash Royale, and so on. These games are mostly designed as a business science more than anything else, and it'll be hard to change players' habits, players who might have picked up a 3DS in the past to play the new Layton game but are now happy playing these addictive service-games, and have now been trained to expect their video game entertainment to be "free".

The above is not just a threat to Switch, of course, but it seems like there will be less to make Switch stand out compared to what 3DS had going for it, as Switch is largely a conforming piece of hardware and Nintendo no longer has the market power to convince publishers to make wholly-unique games like they did 3DS. Rising dev costs and a shrinking market for dedicated systems and games which aren't service games (i.e. not Destiny) will probably mean Switch will mostly get ports of games already in the works, not unique titles that were built solely for it like what 3DS had.

And the market in Japan has certainly shrunk, it's telling that a lot of publishers who did support 3DS with unique software in the early days (Koei Tecmo with Dead or Alive Dimensions, Square Enix with Kingdom Hearts DDD, Capcom with E.X. Troopers, Ubisoft with Ghost Recon, Level-5 with Yokai Watch) either didn't release followups to those early games on 3DS, or aren't even committing to Switch launch (Level-5).

I think the huge success of the DS actually hindered the 3DS, especially right out of the gate. People were satisfied with their DSes and there wasn't a ton of pent up demand for a new Nintendo handheld.

With the Switch, I think there is pent up demand for both a Nintendo console and handheld. Combine that with the fact that the Switch should launch with better software support and a better software pipeline and I would expect first year sales for the Switch to be strong.

If Switch doesn't handily outsell what the 3DS did in the first year, something has gone very wrong.

So Obe1 put his new video up. His rumor is Platinum Games is working on a Switch exclusive game. He said his sources said it's not coming out anytime soon.

jxN3

If Nintendo plays their cards right (launch games and price), I think this could very well be the first time I get a system at launch. For all you regular day-one'ers, how many games do you guys normally pick up at a system launch anyway?

I've almost always gotten my systems once a lot of games are available for bargain prices and pick up a whole bunch. Deciding what to get at full price and how much of it is foreign territory for me!
I generally go for two full priced games and some digital stuff.

Ideally: Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Sunshine (GC VC)

What's interesting about this modern era, unlike when I was a young lad, is that the games with the largest audience and revenue are less likely to be graphical powerhouses. Think: Minecraft, Clash of Clans, Pokémon Go, etc. I wonder how much this current/upcoming generation of children really pine for photo-realism in their graphics.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So Obe1 put his new video up. His rumor is Platinum Games is working on a Switch exclusive game. He said his sources said it's not coming out anytime soon.

Some serious leaks here. /s

I can also leak that a Metroid game will happen. Not coming anytime soon and maybe not shown at the Switch event and maybe not even at E3, but it will come somewhere in the next 10 years.

wrowa

Some serious leaks here. /s

I can also leak that a Metroid game will happen. Not coming anytime soon and maybe not shown at the Switch event and maybe not even at E3, but it will come somewhere in the next 10 years.

I heard Nintendo is already planning to develop a new Zelda game after Breath of the Wild. Holy shit!

LordKano

INSIDER SCOOP : At some point in the future, Capcom will make a Switch exclusive game.

You've heard it here first guys.

Oersted

What's interesting about this modern era, unlike when I was a young lad, is that the games with the largest audience and revenue are less likely to be graphical powerhouses. Think: Minecraft, Clash of Clans, Pokémon Go, etc. I wonder how much this current/upcoming generation of children really pine for photo-realism in their graphics.

First Pokemon, Tetris...

Nanashrew

Banned
All of Platinum's teams are currently busy on Scalebound, Nier, and Granblue Fantasy.

We won't get a Nintendo x Platinum in awhile. All OBE1's leak is, is a guess. And it's getting dumb.

It's not the modern era. You can go back to game boy with pokemon and tetris. GTA III looked like shit at the time and it was a phenomenon. Even miyamoto said that it was cool that a game that didn't focus on graphics but more on game design could get so much success. I love pretty graphics though.

LordKano

All of Platinum's teams are currently busy on Scalebound, Nier, and Granblue Fantasy.

We won't get a Nintendo x Platinum in awhile. All OBE1's leak is, is a guess. And it's getting dumb.

It's not that much actually. At some point, Platinum was working on TW101, Bayonetta 2, Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising in the same time.

Moltenix

Guys, guys. I've got Breaking News! My sources just told me Last of Us Part 2 isn't coming to Switch. Dammit Nintendo, preorder cancelled!

These Obe1 leaks are getting sillier by the day.

You can't be wrong with these types of Rumors.

If I was Nintendo, I'll would cut ties with him with these supposed "leaks"

Its Fake

Plus, Nintendo wouldn't use the Super Mario RPG title

m4st4

It's not that much actually. At some point, Platinum was working on TW101, Bayonetta 2, Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising in the same time.

Yeah, and 'work' might not mean full-on production, yet. I can totally see them working on Bayo3 pre-production since Bayo2, similar to TLOU: Part II. Just throwing concepts and ideas. Nier will soon be out.

Aces&Eights

Does anyone know if Amazon will only be using 3rd parties or are they stocking the Switch and selling as direct from Amazon? I'm getting a little worried with these "your retailer might only have 3 units allotted" I know it was specifically GameStop but this is how these things start.

J@hranimo

Banned
All of Obe1's leaks are super safe predictions that anyone could have tipped off to him.

I can see half of them being right in some capacity.

LordKano

Yeah, and 'work' might not mean full-on production, yet. I can totally see them working on Bayo3 pre-production since Bayo2, similar to TLOU: Part II. Just throwing concepts and ideas. Nier will soon be out.

If Bayo 3 is allowed to exist, then it's likely in work right now. Probably not full-charge development, but they've surely started early prototypes.

My cousin loves it too! I got him the watch for Christmas. He played it a day and since then, nothing. I'm just wondering about Japan. Snack World seems to be their next big thing.

Haha, nothing as in, you never heard from him again because he fell down the yokai hole, or nothing, no use? I make the msitake of buying my kid the watch, the z move bracelet thing for sun and moon...he'll play the games to death, but the accessories just go in a box never to be seen again. So frustrating haha. He has some pride with the medals/pokemon card at least, he files them into a folder etc. Kids are weird ha.

Plus, dunce moment on my part, of course in terms of Japan, I don't know. Did the release of Yokai 1 on mobile have any traction at finding a new/larger audience?

Nanashrew

Banned

I still don't expect it. I'm skeptical of him as it sounds vague and so far off. He's just suddenly shown up these past weeks or month and I cannot take him seriously.

What battery life are you supposed to be getting on the new 3DS? Mine can never last more than 3-4 hours with 3D turned off.

Is it greedy to want to 5-6 hours for the Switch? I'm buying it day 1 no matter what but 3-4 hours doesn't cut it for me.

They'll probably go with 3ds size boxes though, right? Saves them money, and since there's no disc a regular box is overkill.
Unless they think public's perception of console games is tied to box size, which is a possibility I guess.
That latter is the reason they went with full DVD cases for GameCube games in the west, versus the small cases of Japan.

Dystify

That reddit Gamestop guy commented with the results of the supposed meeting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...amestop_will_be_having_statedistrict/dc76hz8/

I just got an update from my friend, as they had their meeting:
  • Friday pre-orders will go live, and you'll be able to pre-order the switch and games (no word on the online/in store pickup though)
  • Nintendo has only slated stores for 10-15 units per store (here we go again, NES classic all over again)
  • Breath of the Wild will 100% be a launch title.
  • Zelda accessories are coming out for the switch at launch.
  • Amiibos for botw will be out 2-3 weeks before switch launch.
  • A 3D Mario game is coming out at launch as well, but no name was given for the title.
  • Gamestop will be getting pre-order promotional material between now and Thursday this week for in store advertising.
  • Gamestop is stating a March 17th release date for the Switch.
  • Gamestop has the SKU's for the units, but no pricing from Nintendo at the moment.

Can anybody confirm or deny that this happened? Haven't seen any buzz around this.

So... question for those with experience. My local Gamestop has a "call list" for Nintendo Switch pre-orders set up, and I had them put my name down. Does anyone know if stores will hold pre-orders for people on that list? I ask because I was lower on the totem pole, but I know I'll be able to show up well before they open on Friday. Don't wanna wait in the cold and find out they're holding things for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom