• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Uncharted 3D is like next gen today

you mean the part where the resolution is like ps2 quality?
Next gen indeed

This. 3D in UC is fun but the cost at which it comes is really too much. UC3 looks fantastic without 3D. With 3D it looks terribly average. Ditto for KZ3. And Black Ops.

To me the ICO collection is the only one where 3D actually looks great and doesnt make the game look terrible as a trade off.

SOTC in particular still looks great and feels amazing to play in 3D. Especially when you are on a colossus.

Edit Oh and Motostorm looks good too. The trade off in that isnt too shabby.

Well...most PS2 games were somewhere around 512x448 (though it was extremely variable and often lower). Uncharted 3 in 3D presents 896x504 per eye which is still a much higher resolution than any PS2, Dreamcast, or Gamecube title. Still a dramatic cut but let's not get crazy here.

I'm trying to remember the last time I played a game in 800x600 or lower.
I think it was 1996.

On a more serious note : Low res images look good on crt displays, low res content looks like dogshit on lcd panels (remember the shock when first seeing SD tv on your new HD tv?)

896x504 will look awful no matter how you spin it.

I wish 3D monitors were cheaper though. Can't really find anything under $200. I love 3D, but I can't afford it unfortunately. When I do get it I would have it on almost everytime

shira

I agree that the 3D effect in Uncharted 3 is amazing.

I disagree with your recommendation of passive 3D. Glasses costing less and being lighter are certainly considerations.. but for the least amount of cross-talk, and best 3D effect, active glasses excel.
Played this on the Sony hmz, arguably the best 3d home experience, and was not impressed.

I thought Uncharted 3 looked pretty shit on my passive 3d TV. Best looking games so far have been Super Stardust HD and Arkham City (360).

SSD was great but Arkham City... minus the frame rate drops (ugh) the depth. Looking from the top of a building... Amazing.

Played this on the Sony hmz, arguably the best 3d home experience, and was not impressed.

VOyal.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm trying to remember the last time I played a game in 800x600 or lower.
I think it was 1996.

On a more serious note : Low res images look good on crt displays, low res content looks like dogshit on lcd panels (remember the shock when first seeing SD tv on your new HD tv?)

896x504 will look awful no matter how you spin it.
1996? I doubt that.

The Voodoo graphics chipset first showed up that year and was limited to a maximum resolution of 640x480. The Voodoo jumped that up to 800x600 or 1024x768 in SLI mode.

800x600 was still normal and relatively high in 1996. I played Unreal at 512x384 for christ sakes and that was released in 1998. In 1999, things started improving in that regard, but going beyond 1024x768 was still demanding.

I typically don't play games on an LCD display, though. Either plasma or CRT for me. I use my LCD for quick sessions or work mainly.

You weren't impressed? Man, I played through the first few levels on the HMZ and was completely blown away by it. The lower resolution was less pronounced on the headset and the camera work meshed really well with 3D.

Shadow of the Colossus is still my favorite for 3D, though.

Smokey

Then your mind is going to be twisted in next gen where 3d can be done right in consoles. It's a joke as of now. The frame rate dips. The resolution is cut in half. The systems weren't built for it and it shows.

3D done right is on the pc side of things (proper resolution, antialiasing, 60 fps), no console game comes close, even though some games are really good (SSD HD comes to mind).

Uncharted is not bad; nothing to write home about though, especially on low-end cross-talk infested screens like monitors or hdtv.

HMZ, projectors or bust.

I wish 3D monitors were cheaper though. Can't really find anything under $200. I love 3D, but I can't afford it unfortunately. When I do get it I would have it on almost everytime

I payed 270 euros for mine. The IPS monitor parts of it really help not loose color in 3d. And if I sit a good distance from it about 1 meter or less. It remove the cross talk by just adjusting my seat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Then your mind is going to be twisted in next gen where 3d can be done right in consoles. It's a joke as of now. The frame rate dips. The resolution is cut in half. The systems weren't built for it and it shows.
I dunno, I still find it impressive and I have full access to 3D on my PC as well.

Uncharted 3 handles it really well in a way that even a low resolution can't spoil.

Top Bottom