• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

I heard English is better overall not for being spoken better but because there are dialogues while there is action going on so reading subtitles while fighting can cause you to miss some stuff.

I plan to mix back and forth but I'm going english only because I have no idea whether there will be returning characters from the original game and the English voice acting would be more appropriate if there are any returning character.

Same here, and I came here to see if anyone else was having the issue. Never had that for an amazon preorder and it's getting awful close to shipping time...

Wouldn't be surprised if they expected it to sell less than it did, and don't have all the stock yet.

Happened with Gravity Rush 2, as well. (We'll see what happens here, I guess)

Wouldn't be surprised if they expected it to sell less than it did, and don't have all the stock yet.

Could be. I contacted Amazon and the guy made it sound like they don't have stock (he didn't sound overly confident in that though, so I dunno). They gave me free 1-day shipping though. So I guess I'll see if anything changes today or tomorrow and if not, cancel and get it at the store.

just for you, bubala
You have good taste my friend.
FQtOVhLlY.gif

slabrock

Banned
Amazon: delivery date pending

Should I be worried?

My best buy order hasn't shipped yet (preparing for shipment.) When you go to the site it says shipping: Not Available. Wonder if it will be hard to find without a preorder. My preorders of GR2, Nioh, Horizon, and Yakuza 0 all got to me a day early. That streak is now broken ;(

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
So glad to see this getting such high critical acclaim. I didn't really like the first Nier but it felt like it had real potential.

It's pretty amazing that this even got made. Thanks to S-E for giving the series another chance. I will enthusiastically buy it on Steam day 1 :)

Samikaze

Nier was one of my favorite games last gen, but for some reason I wasn't super hyped for this. Loved the demo, loved all the trailers, but I guess I was more excited for Ghost Recon co-op with friends.

But these reviews and seeing Nier pre-load on my dashboard just made me glad I'm waiting on Ghost Recon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Played through Drakengard for the first time last week. Working on D3 right now. That fps is rough.

I think your crazy in saying that people couldn't want to play through Nier or at least the first Drakengard today.

I technically meant D1-D3...but even Nier arguably was the hidden gem it was for reasons being a lot of people don't have the patience to play through games like you or me to get to good parts. I even sat through FF13(multiple times)hoping it would get good at some point where a lot of others just quit. Granted it never did, but still.

I'll also mention it here, but those going to Clemp's review to look stuff up, don't start straight at Nier, go back to his Drakengard 1 videos first, then you can go to Nier. Its your choice to watch Drakengard 2 or 3(3 is important but its not fully necessary right now), but DK1 sets the stage.

I'd also recommend ValkyrieAurora's chronological timeline summary

Squire

Banned

Frustrating as it is, Publishers being reminded that niche games can sell to the point of exceeding expectations is good news.

Frustrating as it is, Publishers being reminded that niche games can sell to the point of exceeding expectations is good news.

Agreed, I don't mind if my Amazon order comes late since I got it off the HK PSN but if I hadn't I'd be a bit annoyed and buy it in store to support the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Square just found a good combination with this one.

How many ~hours for all endings? Spoilertag for other folks, please.

I want to know if I have time to get all endings before Persona 5.

Rainy

Banned
You also can't pre-order online from Best Buy anymore either. Good sign I would say.

Of course bad because I haven't pre-ordered yet but Zelda is keeping me busy. Hopefully I can get it from somewhere.

True Fire

How many ~hours for all endings? Spoilertag for other folks, please.

I want to know if I have time to get all endings before Persona 5.

You'll have to be more specific,
there's an ending for every letter of the alphabet.
<---mild spoilers

answers your question --->
ish hours for
all of the good endings.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
<---mild spoilers

ish hours for
all of the good endings.

I'd like to add
I did 41 hours together with 80% of the sidequests

<---mild spoilers

ish hours for
all of the good endings.

Oh okay, might have look the other endings on Youtube then, and lmfao at the spoiler. Fucking hell, Yoko Taro, lol.

Arkeband

Banned
Could be. I contacted Amazon and the guy made it sound like they don't have stock (he didn't sound overly confident in that though, so I dunno). They gave me free 1-day shipping though. So I guess I'll see if anything changes today or tomorrow and if not, cancel and get it at the store.

This is exactly what happened to me. The guy also kept pasting paragraphs about how he's a gamer and how he loves games. Was really bizarre except he didn't mention stock. He "guaranteed" it would be delivered by the 8th or 9th, which I guess I can use against them if they don't follow through.

LotusHD

Banned
Sleep a lot or watch lore vids of the older games.

Been doing that these last few days in order to get a better idea of what to expect story-wise, as well as so I don't miss out on any little easter eggs and what not. Drakengard 3 was kinda meh, but the characters in it were memorable for sure. The first Nier on the other hand was great, I wish I could've actually played it for myself instead of having to watch it instead.

Inuhanyou

Alright, I'll guess a 78-80 Metacritic...

I dream of another 85+ exclusive.

I keep saying it, but If this game gets even a point below 80 for the final score i'll eat my shoe. Its mentally inconceivable to me

Koopatrol

Amazon: delivery date pending

Should I be worried?

I placed my order on December 31st and my expected delivery date was postponed to Thursday :(

I think it's because I changed the order's shipping address this past week, idk. I was going to cancel my order and pre-order it again because Amazon wants to deduct money from my gift card for this particular order even though I do not want them to. I hit alter payment method like 5 times but there's no option to not use it. I want the game this week, though, so I guess I'll keep the order.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Kinda sad that performance affected the score here when Zelda didn't and that had worse performance issues.

Also I believe the patch that dropped recently also fixed a bit of the issues some of the reviews have mentioned.

SgtCobra

Kinda sad that performance affected the score here when Zelda didn't and that had worse performance issues.
Well yeah not every review site is going to take performance into account when reviewing a game. And then there is the thing that when the other aspects of it shine so bright it is going to be easier to "forgive" its faults like a poor performance for example.

DigSCCP

I just refuse to believe any serious outlet is going to take points from Nier because of perfomance after last week.

Servbot24

Banned
I just refuse to believe any serious outlet is going to take points from Nier because of perfomance after last week.

I assume you're talking about Zelda? Seems to me performance is a fairly important factor in a fighting game while it really doesn't matter all that much in Zelda.

LotusHD

Banned
Well yeah not every review site is going to take performance into account when reviewing a game. And then there is the thing that when the other aspects of it shine so bright it is going to be easier to "forgive" its faults like a poor performance for example.

This.

Some people care, some people don't. Some people care, but said game may excel enough that they'll ignore it when making the score, though they should at least list it in the review if it's that big of an issue. Depends on the game and (different) reviewers. Trying to frame it as this game or that game doesn't deserve to be docked points because of Zelda's issues (which not everyone experienced to the same extent mind you) is just incredibly short-sighted to me.

pezzie

I assume you're talking about Zelda? Seems to me performance is a fairly important factor in a fighting game while it really doesn't matter all that much in Zelda.

That's true to the degree of framerate drops, but Zelda literally had freeze frame sections.

Believe it. Though I think BOTW sounds great given user impressions and reviews, game critics often give Nintendo (and Zelda especially) a by. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Amusingly, the Gamexplain review (a channel that is very Nintendo centric) was more critical of the performance than most outlets, and the Easy Allies review was refreshingly upfront with the issues as well. I expect Nier Automata will get pretty great reviews from mainstream outlets since the review guide apparently explicitly tells reviewers not to stop after the first
ending
and the game appears to have the one thing Nier really needed most (excellent gameplay), but I am sure performance will be cited as an issue by outlets that ignored the worse problems BOTW has. We already have the enthusiast/import/early reviews noting performance despite loving the game, so the bigger sites will surely bring it up here and there. And hey, maybe some sites played Zelda in handheld mode mostly, in which case they wouldn't really be able to notice it's performance issues as much.

I haven't been following any other games so I don't know what all the hubbub is about, but if there was a recent backlash against reviewers for not being more critical of performance issues in a game, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in harder on Automata as some misguided form of atonement.

I haven't been following any other games so I don't know what all the hubbub is about, but if there was a recent backlash against reviewers for not being more critical of performance issues in a game, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in harder on Automata as some misguided form of atonement.

This would be the worst.

Believe it. Though I think BOTW sounds great given user impressions and reviews, game critics often give Nintendo (and Zelda especially) a by. It's ridiculous, but it is what it is. Amusingly, the Gamexplain review (a channel that is very Nintendo centric) was more critical of the performance than most outlets, and the Easy Allies review was refreshingly upfront with the issues as well. I expect Nier Automata will get pretty great reviews from mainstream outlets since the review guide apparently explicitly tells reviewers not to stop after the first
ending
and the game appears to have the one thing Nier really needed most (excellent gameplay), but I am sure performance will be cited as an issue by outlets that ignored the worse problems BOTW has. We already have the enthusiast/import/early reviews noting performance despite loving the game, so the bigger sites will surely bring it up here and there. And hey, maybe some sites played Zelda in handheld mode mostly, in which case they wouldn't really be able to notice it's performance issues as much.

Yeah, the EZA review where BotW basically paused because of frame rate drops was ridiculous. I know that Zelda and GTA are the most apologized for series in the history of this medium, especially when it comes to shitty mechanics, but nobody else was willing to comment more on that? The game literally paused for seconds during gameplay.

Inuhanyou

I expect Nier: Automata to get a lot of 6/10 and 7/10 from major websites/publications, though I guess we'll see soon.

A LOT of 6 and 7s? oh boy, that would just wound me as someone who wants to see this game succeed more than anything critically and commercially so SE puts more faith in people like Yoko Taro

The game is available for two weeks already in a form playable and digestible by English literate audiences.

I can definitely see the 7s and occasional 6s that will have bad taste in stories and ding it for the story, but by and large I expect a lot of 8s and 9s.

Helps that the game's first ending comes with a note telling you to continue playing.

A LOT of 6 and 7s? oh boy, that would just wound me as someone who wants to see this game succeed more than anything critically and commercially so SE puts more faith in people like Yoko Taro

Taro has always been critically panned, and Automata has already outsold all of his other games.

Even if major publications won't recognize its success, SE already has. In the end, it's all about money.

Inuhanyou

Taro has always been critically panned, and Automata has already outsold all of his other games.

Even if major publications won't recognize its success, SE already has. In the end, it's all about money.

But that's half the battle unfortunately to justify investment in anything half decent. Even this obviously low to mid tier budget(by platinum standards)in Automata is far beyond anything Taro has ever gotten just by basic association of having Platinum games working on it

Kthulhu

Logic defeated when the wizard makes Yakua 0, Nioh, Gravity Rush 2, good Resident Evil and Nier 2 happen within two months.

I don't give a shit about RE so I was able to get them all.

giphy.gif

I am giving up going to the dentist, fixing my car, and getting new glasses for my hobby.

Top Bottom