• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Someone should make a mod to, for example, disallow entry to the thieves guild/dark brotherhood if the hero has entered or has become the leader of the Companion. Or to disallow entry to the College unless the hero has already memorized a certain number of higher level spells, for example.

What's true? There's already a mod that does that.

edit: oh you mean an official patch. Seems to be true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A7ZJq9GclI&feature=player_embedded (trailer on official Bethesda youtube account)
Yes, i was talking about an official support of kill cams. I got really exited when i saw the video because i thought that video was an official confirmation of the features Bethesda showed at GDC. Remember? That video with the new water shader, passing seasons, kill cams, foot print in the snow, etc.
Someone should make a mod to, for example, disallow entry to the thieves guild/dark brotherhood if the hero has entered or has become the leader of the Companion.
But are they belligerent factions?

Anyway, for good or bad Bethesda tailored the game for the masses. A player can get the majority of the game in one play through, save for some quest choices that in reality don't make much difference.

But yea, i can see the point of a mod like that.

I would like some guidance, I want to be able to use DOF but i dont want any other effects because it kills my performance.
what should i turn off in the enb.ini to get it running like vanilla (which is 60fps+) but with DOF no SSAO its 25...

shiroryu

I would like some guidance, I want to be able to use DOF but i dont want any other effects because it kills my performance.
what should i turn off in the enb.ini to get it running like vanilla (which is 60fps+) but with DOF no SSAO its 25...
Use

EnableAmbientOcclusion=false

under the [EFFECT] in enbseries.ini.

LogicStep

I just got Skyrim today and I would like to install some mods to enhance the graphics and any other mod that most people find necessary. I would like to only use the Steam Workshop so I don't have to deal with third party stuff and just keep it simple. Any recommended mods? I see a lot in the OP but are all of those really must have/on the workshop?

So how is the 1.5 patch for everyone? I downloaded it off Steam and tried it today and while the new kill cams are neat, performance and framerate outdoors took a huge hit. It was going smoothly around 40-60 FPS outdoors before 1.5 and now its routinely 20-30FPS. Indoors is fine but its just outdoors that performance has taken a hit.

So how is the 1.5 patch for everyone? I downloaded it off Steam and tried it today and while the new kill cams are neat, performance and framerate outdoors took a huge hit. It was going smoothly around 40-60 FPS outdoors before 1.5 and now its routinely 20-30FPS. Indoors is fine but its just outdoors that performance has taken a hit.

The fact that they turned on shadows on grass might be the problem.

LogicStep

2 questions:

1- What's a good character model mod? I want to use a female character and want her to look better than the terribad stock models. I already downloaded some hair mod, just need the rest.

2- I clicked on the bethesda texture pack install that launches steam, I don't think it did install anything, I didn't get a prompt. But I rather it no download since I'm downloading other hd texture packs. Any way to make sure? Or will it not matter?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

How do you download it? Still not up for me.

shiroryu

How do you download it? Still not up for me.

From Nexus:

"How to join the beta
1. Log into Steam
2. Click on Steam in the upper menu
3. Select Settings
4. Under the Account tab, go to the Beta Participation section and select Change.
5. A drop down menu will appear. Select Skyrim Beta.
6. Select OK.
7. Steam will now restart. After Steam restarts, Skyrim will be updated to the Beta version currently available.

If you opt into the Beta, be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim on Steam (v 1.4.27).

If you decide you don’t want to run the Beta anymore, redo steps 1 – 4. At the drop down, select NONE – Opt out of all beta programs. Let Steam restart, and Skyrim will automatically update itself back to the latest released version."

Haven't tried it myself; passing on what the site says.

So, is this still alive guys?

I figured it's time to get back a little bit to Skyrim seeing there are a few new interesting mods and the new patch.

Anyway, what's the best ENB setting out this days? I hope some new versions got out.

LogicStep

Two mods I'm loving:

Oblivious Horses
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=13036
Makes your horses not attack enemies, and enemies will return the favor.

Horses for Followers
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=11193
Buy a horse for your follower, and when you ride one, they'll mount up too and follow you!

Nice finds!

Man I really like that Spells give off light mod that Colonial posted but it seems to bug out inside dungeons or something. If I sheath my weapon and spell, when I pull them back out the mod doesn't work. But if I go through a loading screen they work. Any way to fix that? I really like the way that looks.

nowai

It's also depressing that the workshop community didn't start until most people had a signification amount of gameplay time already logged. Although I am only sitting at around 50 hours, I'm getting to the point where I think I'm just going to rush through story mode and try and finish off the other guilds (if I even have the patience for that).

Rushing isn't even required. I have Pokemon syndrome baaaad and had to finish all of the side quests (except for the reoccurring ones) before I tackled the main quest and was sorely disappointed.

I have 117 hours total and the main quest took no time at all. I'd say roughly 4 or so hours total...if that.

Luthos

Need a cape or cloak mod.

But it'd be a hollow enjoyment, because it'll be stiff. Oh if I had a cloak that had physics...

hauton

Just use ingame DoF? Or Dynavision mod?

So I wasn't thinking and I deleted my .ini files for Skyrim, and after recreating them, none of my Mods were loaded. I've selected them again, but I can tell the load order is different from what it was. Now the moment I load a game (I see the Loading screen for an instant) the game crashes with no warning.

I'm guessing this is a mod issue, but I'm not sure what do to at this point. Are there some mods that should be loaded first/last? Any other suggestions?

Edit: So I can start a new game, but I can't load any save games, even those I manually backed up from awhile ago. I verified the integrity of my cache, and have tried all kinds of configs all to no avail...

tborsje

So I wasn't thinking and I deleted my .ini files for Skyrim, and after recreating them, none of my Mods were loaded. I've selected them again, but I can tell the load order is different from what it was. Now the moment I load a game (I see the Loading screen for an instant) the game crashes with no warning.

I'm guessing this is a mod issue, but I'm not sure what do to at this point. Are there some mods that should be loaded first/last? Any other suggestions?

Edit: So I can start a new game, but I can't load any save games, even those I manually backed up from awhile ago. I verified the integrity of my cache, and have tried all kinds of configs all to no avail...

Did you change any uGrid settings on your old ini? You might have been loading 7 or 9 ugrids in your old ini's, so the default ini's will certainly crash the game on loading a save game.

Did you change any uGrid settings on your old ini? You might have been loading 7 or 9 ugrids in your old ini's, so the default ini's will certainly crash the game on loading a save game.

I don't remember doing that, but it must have been something like that. I found a backup of my old ini file, restored it, and it started working again. Thanks!

teiresias

Wow, patch 1.5 absolutely ruins this game (it was officially released into the wild yesterday I believe). Ambient Occlusion is now broken, and even though you can get it back by using Nvidia Inspector to switch to the Fallout 3 profile, the implementation is terrible and it looks awful.

That's not to mention the myriad of other shadow and gameplay bugs being reported on the Bethesda forum. This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't even gotten through the main quest line now and I cannot play this game looking like this. It's horrendous. I swear, Bethesda needs to fire their entire programming team.

neoism

Wow, patch 1.5 absolutely ruins this game (it was officially released into the wild yesterday I believe). Ambient Occlusion is now broken, and even though you can get it back by using Nvidia Inspector to switch to the Fallout 3 profile, the implementation is terrible and it looks awful.

That's not to mention the myriad of other shadow and gameplay bugs being reported on the Bethesda forum. This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't even gotten through the main quest line now and I cannot play this game looking like this. It's horrendous. I swear, Bethesda needs to fire their entire programming team.

guess I'm lucky Played about 3 hours on it and other than me having to set killmoverandom to 100 to even see the kill cam, it ran fine... no Crashes or anything. it even fixed a quest that was broken in my game.. Is there a mod to take the requirement for it to be the last enemy in a group. I'd like kill cam all most all the time for a while.

guess I'm lucky Played about 3 hours on it and other than me having to set killmoverandom to 100 to even see the kill cam, it ran fine... no Crashes or anything. it even fixed a quest that was broken in my game.. Is there a mod to take the requirement for it to be the last enemy in a group. I'd like kill cam all most all the time for a while.

Yep: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9063

You'll want to use one of the older versions with the new patch, though. The new one adds new killcams which evidently conflict with the ones introduced in the new patch. There are older versions on the downloads page that will only remove the last enemy requirement and also boost your killmoverandom setting automatically.

The fact that they turned on shadows on grass might be the problem.

Yup, 1.5 absolutely killed the game performance for me. I went from always being above 30FPS to now dropping quite frequently to the low 20's. I'm almost positive that the patch also introduced stuttering in third person mode too now. I'm sure yet though, as it might just be from the lower FPS.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm happy they are using the beta system, and can only hope that they will not force push a 1.5 on everyone unless they fix the performance etc. problems first.

Figured out that part of my problem was that Patch 1.5 turned mouse acceleration back on. That got rid of most of the stuttering. Framerate still took a massive hit, but with the stuttering gone and lower settings, it's now playable.

Question: Do I benefit by having both 2x AA and FXAA on? Or at only 2x AA, should I just as well turn AA off? (Does AA help the FXAA not blur as much, I guess is what I'm asking.)

I'm happy they are using the beta system, and can only hope that they will not force push a 1.5 on everyone unless they fix the performance etc. problems first.

They already pushed it out.

Figured out that part of my problem was that Patch 1.5 turned mouse acceleration back on. That got rid of most of the stuttering. Framerate still took a massive hit, but with the stuttering gone and lower settings, it's now playable.

Question: Do I benefit by having both 2x AA and FXAA on? Or at only 2x AA, should I just as well turn AA off? (Does AA help the FXAA not blur as much, I guess is what I'm asking.)

Try turning them both off, use SMAA instead. http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

vaelic

Banned
The truth is that now the modding community in Skyrim is intense, is better to take it slowly and don't oversaturate. In my case each pair of days I browse the recent mods in Workshop and sites like Nexus, I add to my favourites the ones that get my attention, and from that list I try a few ones. Anyway I've had just my first lesson, I was careless with backing up my saves and updating the game and mods, and I just found that my currently saves with +100 hours are all corrupted with a weird bug of scripting lag. So anyway its a good reason to start again but with a more fully modded game, and now each time I update a scripted or complex mod, or the game, I'll backup my saves before. And for know I'm using the Workshop only for a few minor mods or exclusive ones, because that thing of the automatic updates.. :/

Anyway about the mods, the last ones I've tried are Better Horses and Mounted Follower, they combine perfectly and are pretty good. And my last discovery but I think is kind of classic is Deadly Dragons, my god, what an awesome and impressive mod. Now the Dragons feel like powerful mythical beings, and it has tons of content
ty

I think this is my favorite mod I have seen
9709-1-1329277238.png

thinking about downloading as soon as I can.

JoeBoy101

Then that sucks. With the beta and previous patches, it seemed like things had actually been going well, too.

And yet again, it makes me wish there was the ability to run Steam games without being forced to update them. =(

There is. You can turn off the automatic updating on a game to game basis. Go to the properties for it in the Steam Menu, and under updates and you have options other than automatic updates.

So for whatever reason, grass is not rendering. Does anyone know what I need to do to change this. Below are my grass settings from my Skyrim.ini and my SkyrimPrefs.ini files and a screenshot.

Thanks

Skyrim.ini
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=1

SkyrimPrefs.ini
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=25000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000

i6omGMb7jx9JX.png

So for whatever reason, grass is not rendering. Does anyone know what I need to do to change this. Below are my grass settings from my Skyrim.ini and my SkyrimPrefs.ini files and a screenshot.

Thanks

Skyrim.ini
[Grass]
bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=1

SkyrimPrefs.ini
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=1
fGrassStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=25000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=10000.0000

http://i.minus.com/i6omGMb7jx9JX.png[img][/quote]
my settings

bAllowCreateGrass=1
bAllowLoadGrass=0

b30GrassVS=0
fGrassStartFadeDistance=14000.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000

Blizzard

Banned
There is. You can turn off the automatic updating on a game to game basis. Go to the properties for it in the Steam Menu, and under updates and you have options other than automatic updates.
And as I have campaigned about for years on this forum, that doesn't work. :( If you launch a game that has a registered update on Steam, you will be forced to download the update or you cannot play. The setting also used to reset itself, even if it had worked.

If this behavior has been changed and anyone has proof it, I would love to hear it, but as far as I know it has never worked the way you would expect, and still doesn't. The only benefit is that if you are not currently playing a game, its updates will not start automatically, and will instead wait until you try to launch it.

Mod of the year is in the works.
You’ve seen Karl Pilkington in An Idiot Abroad. Perhaps you’re wondering how the whiny round-headed Mancunian would fare in an even more exotic location — Skyrim?

An Idiot in Skyrim is a mod for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim which places Karl Pilkington as a potential follower in the game. This in-game Karl is fully voiced with various samples from radio, podcasts and television. The mod was inspired by a YouTube video by AwakeIsland.
http://deck16.net/pilkington

tumblr_m1wdyzfoIn1qe86h3.jpg

Unicorn

Man, I don't have many mods (better fire, better water, and that's about it) but with the Bethesda High Res "mods" I get some really bad stuttering and frame drops anytime I'm around torches, candles, etc.

Is there a fix yet? I remember shortly after they hit ColonialRaptor talked about some long, roundabout way to get rid of it, but I'm looking for a quick fix. Anyone know?

Also, is there any mods that add dismemberment? so many kill animations seem like they were meant to include chopping a leg, crushing a skull, or cleaving someone in half. I know there's a perk for decapitations, but I'm hoping for a Fallout3 kind of gore experience (perhaps not with people comically exploding...)

Dmax3901

So it seems I've broken my save. I suspect the transition from Realistic Water Textures to Water Redux thingy did it, but no matter what I do the game locks up :/

Top Bottom