• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust |OT| Out of the ashes, into the Dust

I just can't get back into this game for some reason. Loved it on OG Xbox, I guess my taste have just changed with age. Everyone should try this game though, cause it's really good at what it sets out to do. Regardless if it's for me or not.

derFeef

Not sure how many of you all own a PS Vita, but if you do and enjoy Phantom Dust, try out a game called Soul Sacrifice Delta.

It's the closest thing to Phantom Dust that's not named Phantom Dust, and if a sequel for PD ever comes to be, I really hope they go for a similar gameplay style. I want PD with the same level of depth and variety, combined with the combat of a modern character action game.

Everyone with a Vita should play SSD period :D
Love that game, wish it would get a sequel or a port/remaster.

This game is pretty awesome! I had absolutely zero idea of what it was going in. I'm super impressed by the destruction and how fun the combat is. Gonna probably play the single player all the way through!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not sure how many of you all own a PS Vita, but if you do and enjoy Phantom Dust, try out a game called Soul Sacrifice Delta.

It's the closest thing to Phantom Dust that's not named Phantom Dust,

No it really isn't. Unless Delta radically changed things up from Soul Sacrifice it was more a PSO-clone.

So the skills I get during pvp matches are random?

Why do I build my arsenal then?

Because there is modes where you CAN use your Arsenal. Look for those.

I'll start this weekend with it. As someone interest in the single player aspect of the game, can somebody give me an estimation about the length of the campaign? Is it any good?
I've read plenty about the gameplay and the multiplayer, but any thoughts in the SP?

Tain

I'll start this weekend with it. As someone interest in the single player aspect of the game, can somebody give me an estimation about the length of the campaign? Is it any good?
I've read plenty about the gameplay and the multiplayer, but any thoughts in the SP?

I think that a fairly complete playthrough took me around 30 hours. This was over a decade ago so I could be wrong.

It's a cool campaign. It'll definitely give you a "bot match" feel for a bit, but there are some awesome unique battles as well and the way the story progresses through the various arenas is neat.

Zeta Oni

No it really isn't. Unless Delta radically changed things up from Soul Sacrifice it was more a PSO-clone.

Because there is modes where you CAN use your Arsenal. Look for those.

It's combat was straight up an unlimited use Arsenal without spawning orbs.

You picked moves from a long list of Spells (skills), all with different effects such as physical attacks, projectiles of all kinds, buffs and debuffs, healing, summons, etc.

In order to use said spells, they are assigned to face buttons, some being infinite use, some limited, with optimal ranges as well.

You fight in an arena, normally against giant monstrous beasts that require systematic destruction of individual parts in order to destroy properly, but occasionally against people with the same access to spells as you do.

There's even similarities in the story, but I'll leave that alone for now.

Biggest difference being it's monster hunter inspiration and your "deck" being limited to 6 skills and no need for aura points. So while it isn't a 1:1 match, I stand by my statement it's the closest thing to PD that's not PD.

Edit: Should note I never played the original release, so I'm not sure how much of this was new in Delta.

Seeing this just reminds me of how much it sucks that microsoft promised a sequel and didnt deliver, like why show the trailer in the first place?

Ishmae1

I know the devs were looking for suggestions to skill balance changes. Any update on if any were implemented?

We have not made any balance changes yet. The only one on the docket right now is putting expirations on all environmental capsules that didn't already have them, due to a technique called "hanging", which we can't fix in code (because no source) but we could address in data.

We're mulling over the idea of 3-4 minute expirations on those, but it won't be lower than that.

We want to wait and see how play evolves now that more people have access to the game than ever before.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
We have not made any balance changes yet. The only one on the docket right now is putting expirations on all environmental capsules that didn't already have them, due to a technique called "hanging", which we can't fix in code (because no source) but we could address in data.

We're mulling over the idea of 3-4 minute expirations on those, but it won't be lower than that.

We want to wait and see how play evolves now that more people have access to the game than ever before.

Honestly, as frustrating as "hanging" is, it's a legit tactic (IMO). I'd rather have the ability levitate or jump AND capture the Environmental than have a timer. But I'm not sure it's possible to reach some of the popular "hanging" spots.

Really though, I think Environmentals shouldn't be in the Quick Play mode. I had someone use Hanging in that mode while I had no Environmental to counter it.

Ishmae1

Honestly, as frustrating as "hanging" is, it's a legit tactic (IMO). I'd rather have the ability levitate or jump AND capture the Environmental than have a timer. But I'm not sure it's possible to reach some of the popular "hanging" spots.

I looked into that solution actually - I was hoping that capturing a skill was actually defined like a skill code-side and thus I could flag it in data as "able to be used in-air" but unfortunately it was not.

Like I said, no changes yet - we'll wait and see as gameplay evolves if it becomes a big issue.

Hellraider

Apparently using the original(?) resolution makes the game run more than fine. Finished chapter 1 but there is not much to say since it's pretty much a tutorial. There is promise.

When do I get to the deck building/collecting part?

Hexer06

It's combat was straight up an unlimited use Arsenal without spawning orbs.

You picked moves from a long list of Spells (skills), all with different effects such as physical attacks, projectiles of all kinds, buffs and debuffs, healing, summons, etc.

In order to use said spells, they are assigned to face buttons, some being infinite use, some limited, with optimal ranges as well.

You fight in an arena, normally against giant monstrous beasts that require systematic destruction of individual parts in order to destroy properly, but occasionally against people with the same access to spells as you do.

There's even similarities in the story, but I'll leave that alone for now.

Biggest difference being it's monster hunter inspiration and your "deck" being limited to 6 skills and no need for aura points. So while it isn't a 1:1 match, I stand by my statement it's the closest thing to PD that's not PD.

Edit: Should note I never played the original release, so I'm not sure how much of this was new in Delta.

I didn't play Delta, but I totally agree that Soul Sacrifice was the closest any game has gotten to this. Either way, it's by far one of my fav Vita games for sure.

What is this about "hanging"? The only environment skill I've used so far is to have skill orbs spawn faster and for skills to cost half their aura.

sonicmj1

Hanging is when you place an environmental skill on a destructible floor (like the walkways across the middle of Palace), and then destroy the ground. The capsule stays floating in the air and nobody can pick it up.

I wouldn't complain about some limitation being placed on it, because it's pretty antithetical to how those skills were balanced.

Hexer06

Hanging is when you place an environmental skill on a destructible floor (like the walkways across the middle of Palace), and then destroy the ground. The capsule stays floating in the air and nobody can pick it up.

I wouldn't complain about some limitation being placed on it, because it's pretty antithetical to how those skills were balanced.

Interesting.. I haven't been put off by environmental skills yet, so I think I'm okay with that for now. Man.. I really wanna play some more. Anyone have some cool clips or gifs for me to watch? :D

Mechazawa

Wow, holy fucking shit, ok.

FOR ANYONE EXPERIENCING INSTANT CRASH ON BOOT UP: Go to your sound settings in windows and in the advanced tab of the properties panel of your audio output, change the sample rate of your audio from 96k hz to 48k hz.

An obscure-ass fix, but I'm glad the game works now. Maybe Zeta Oni can add it to the OP.
XcXBvwr.png

(found out about it from a reviewer in the store page of the game)

Gestault

What so crazy for remaster to have 1080p support? �� (but without any antialiasing though)

Sharp is a phrase in American English that often means "good" in a general sense. From context, they likely mean the assets hold up well for a game from 2004.

Ushay

Game looks GREAT for something from the OG Xbox era.

I keep wondering what a true sequel would look and feel like if MS gave the right budget and pit a proper AAA studio behind it.

Zeta Oni

FOR ANYONE EXPERIENCING INSTANT CRASH ON BOOT UP: Go to your sound settings in windows and in the advanced tab of the properties panel of your audio output, change the sample rate of your audio from 96k hz to 48k hz.

An obscure-ass fix, but I'm glad the game works now. Maybe Zeta Oni can add it to the OP.

Thanks, will do.

wwm0nkey

I feel like I've had this happen in games before, wonder what causes it?

FyreWulff

I haven't had problems with Phantom Dust but I literally could not download Halo Wars 2 until I reset Windows 10. Apparently at some point in the install all the little sub permissions got screwed up in my install from upgrading from Windows 7 and HW2/winstore couldn't get the permissions to download any data or launch anything.

The actual fix on MS's site is to make a new profile, except any new profiles I made didn't have a start menu, and the Powershell fix to download and re-install windows components couldn't install it either.

Did the reset -> keep files and WinStore stuff all works perfectly now.

febLey

What the heck is this game, I feel like I felt when I played Dota for the first time.
I have no clue what is going on.

Du2andal

Banned

It's the closest thing to Phantom Dust that's not named Phantom Dust, and if a sequel for PD ever comes to be, I really hope they go for a similar gameplay style. I want PD with the same level of depth and variety, combined with the combat of a modern character action game.

I didn't make this connection when I was putting tons of time into SSD but you are absolutely right. That game was fantastic.

FyreWulff

What the heck is this game, I feel like I felt when I played Dota for the first time.

play through the campaign. it's a nice story but also pretty much forces you to learn how the entire game works. don't worry about feeling lost at first.

Zeta Oni

Game looks GREAT for something from the OG Xbox era.

I keep wondering what a true sequel would look and feel like if MS gave the right budget and pit a proper AAA studio behind it.

Odds are in todays day and age, Phantom Dust would get a F2P treatment rather than AAA.

Mainly because of how everything is already so close to a real life TCG it would just be so easy to monetize in a way not dissimilar to Killer Instinct. You give players access to a piece up front, using current numbers lets say 150 skills, arsenal building, a full campaign, and the multiplayer. Bonus points if they incorporate a co-operative mode (as I think a Phantom Dust horde mode could do wonders to attract newcomers and encourage experimentation, but that's another topic). You make money mostly the same way they have done here in the rerelease, but on a bigger scale. Random assortment junk packs with varying degrees of cost, that you can also earn through in game play. Support with new maps, the monetized junk packs, maybe offer an option to just buy all skills outright, throw in a custom character system with unlockable cosmetics (but keep the artstyle), and you've got yourself a stew going there.

The problem would come from the need to balance the games skills and their unlock rate in a way so newcomers and free players don't feel like they are at a disadvantage, which ends up being a problem in most FTP games (again, this could be alleviated with things like cooperative modes where I would imagine the response is different since the ones who are more powerful are always also on your side, as well as custom games so players are welcome to avoid that stuff entirely.)

What could really be interesting is what level they could take it to. Imagine the underground city on a much grander scale, with instances similar to Destiny's Tower, and you could run around and interact with other player controlled Espers, trade skills and link up for quests.

Imagine if they took it even further, being able to walk from underground to the world above as you see the light and dust swirl furiously in the distance as you approach.

Hell, they could cut costs by keeping in canon with the first game and limiting players exposure aboveground to 15 minutes, building small but dense miniature parts of a bigger open world, interconnected by underground tunnels and the occasional online community/hub worlds.

I'm gonna stop now before I really sit here and go crazy brainstorming what a modern Phantom Dust could be.

I didn't make this connection when I was putting tons of time into SSD but you are absolutely right. That game was fantastic.

I didn't play Delta, but I totally agree that Soul Sacrifice was the closest any game has gotten to this. Either way, it's by far one of my fav Vita games for sure.

Now imagine SSD's combat and additional Skill/Spell types with Phantom Dust's setting, depth, and Arsenal system.

giphy.gif

wwm0nkey

Just get a grasp on the card game aspect first. You have your deck of 30 cards, you have your hand which can hold up to 4 cards and then you have your pool of 3 cards that generate over time. You need manaspeheres to level up so you can use stronger attacks and sometimes to do that you will need to sacrifice cards in your hand to spawn the manasphere cards.

After you have that system down test out the cards and see which ones combo or work together very well and if you forget what your card does you can use the D-Pad to recheck the move.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I imagined Phantom Dust designed with a monetary philosophy similar to Hearthstone and threw up in my mouth.

I wouldn't trust MS to not bungle it too.

Zeta Oni

I imagined Phantom Dust designed with a monetary philosophy similar to Hearthstone and threw up in my mouth.

I know, I would prefer a regular $60 release like I'm sure many of us would, but I just don't think that's gonna be the case going forward for a game like Phantom Dust. If they do bring it back, the Arsenal system is gonna be monetized in some way.

wwm0nkey

I'm either way on it because

1) There is no way we are getting PD2 without it being Free to Play
2) Microsoft is shifting over to a Game as Service model with longer support times that are kept up by monetizing in-game items.
3) If they kept the game balanced and had pricing like they currently do (H5 and PvZ has a similar structure) then its fine because you can earn things in-game at a pretty good pace.
4) Due to the new structure PD2 would be supported for a long time

shandy706

Haha, we should have a "Review" Thread that has all the old reviews in it.

Current Metacritic - 81

Famitsu - 9/10

Total Games - 9/10

Gaming Trend - 9/10

Worth Playing - 9/10

Play Magazine - 8.8/10

Gaming Nexus - 8.8/10

GameZone - 8.7/10

Bonus stage - 8.7/10

Xbox Evolved - 8.7/10

Talk Xbox - 8.6/10

IGN - 8.5/10

Gamespot - 8.5/10

Game Over Online - 8.5/10

1UP - 8.5/10

G4 TV - 8/10

Yahoo! - 8/10

EGM - 8/10

CCC - 8/10

GameSpy - 8/10

Edge - 7/10

Game Informer - 7/10

I'd make the thread for fun....but not sure if it's ok X-D.

Zeta Oni

well, these should be posted in the first post

I was waiting on current reviews not dissimilar to what we got with the Voodoo Vince remaster, but ill include them.

Haha, we should have a "Review" Thread that has all the old reviews in it.

I'd make the thread for fun....but not sure if it's ok X-D.

I see no reason why they cant be mentioned if someone does a review of the current rerelease and then a thread is made.

But if its just the old reviews, I don't think so.

Also, thanks, added to OP.

Yo, this is a damn fine port. The game is so much fun and looks so good. The art direction is just baller.

If this ever gets a sequel Microsoft should promote the shit out of it with a promotional anime or manga. The story is so damn good. Ergo Proxy meets Yu Gi Oh or some shit.

Raide

Yo, this is a damn fine port. The game is so much fun and looks so good. The art direction is just baller.

If this ever gets a sequel Microsoft should promote the shit out of it with a promotional anime or manga. The story is so damn good. Ergo Proxy meets Yu Gi Oh or some shit.

I am hoping that the free version is there to get people up to date about PD and then announce a full blown sequel is in development.

I can only dream!

I also hope e3 rolls around and they give the same PD love to Otogi etc.

Zeta Oni

Just got my first win online using erase skills to get rid of my opponents arsenal rather than fighting them directly. Seems people aren't realizing you can do this with certain skills and are failing to protect their spawn point in favor of all out combat.

FyreWulff

Just got my first win online using erase skills to get rid of my opponents arsenal rather than fighting them directly. Seems people aren't realizing you can do this with certain skills and are failing to protect their spawn point in favor of all out combat.

just wait until the Phantom Dust skill gets re-introduced

Top Bottom