• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Apple TV |OT| : Page 60
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-13-2017, 01:13 PM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

The file sizes would probably take a huge jump though, which might be why they didn't use them.

Only using lossless audio formats will be a big jump.
DTS or DD+ with Atmos is negligible.

If they don't support Atmos that will be very disappointing.
PhoncipleBone
(09-13-2017, 02:47 PM)
I forget if Atmos is scalable and can be added onto lossy tracks like DD+
jts
...hate me...
(09-13-2017, 03:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Uno Venova

I can't believe they didn't change the remote after all of the shit you hear about it.

They changed it in a way that helps fixing the one problem that it has. You can now tell better which way is up with a quick glance.

So no word on Amazon Prime Video?
infiniteloop
(09-13-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by jts

So no word on Amazon Prime Video?

"Later this year"
peppermints
(09-13-2017, 03:22 PM)

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

"Later this year"

That's gotta be strictly business at this point. Probably related to Apple allowing rentals/purchases through the app.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-13-2017, 04:27 PM)

I forget if Atmos is scalable and can be added onto lossy tracks like DD+

It can.
Vudu, Amazon, and Netflix all offer it with DD+.
Sean
(09-13-2017, 08:55 PM)

Originally Posted by brianmcdoogle

Well, I was going to get a 32 GB version but since it's just 20 bucks more, I guess I'll get the 64 and hopefully future prove it a bit.

I own a 64GB Apple TV and don't think going with that size is worth it at all. Even though it's only 20 bucks more I doubt you'll ever come close to using that space. When I get the 4K model I'll go down to 32GB.

Almost all of the media apps are only around 25MB or less (HBO Go, Showtime, Plex, Netflix, FOX, AMC, ESPN, etc... the YouTube app is even less than 1MB.) Pretty much everything is streamed over the web rather than being stored on your device.

And the games are incredibly tiny too, almost all under 200mb, the biggest one I could find was Asphalt 8 at 1.12GB. The base 32GB model should be perfectly fine.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-13-2017, 08:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Sean

I own a 64GB Apple TV and don't think going with that size is worth it at all. Even though it's only 20 bucks more I doubt you'll ever come close to using that space. When I get the 4K model I'll go down to 32GB.

Almost all of the media apps are only around 25MB or less (HBO Go, Showtime, Plex, Netflix, FOX, AMC, ESPN, etc... the YouTube app is even less than 1MB.) Pretty much everything is streamed over the web rather than being stored on your device.

And the games are incredibly tiny too, almost all under 200mb, the biggest one I could find was Asphalt 8 at 1.12GB. The base 32GB model should be perfectly fine.

Using the extra $20 for a 4K movie.
Zeyphersan
(09-13-2017, 09:42 PM)

The 64GB model would only become advantageous to be if they let you download media ahead of time instead of forcing you to stream it. Thatís some feedback Iíve submitted but it is indeed streaming only for the time being
brianmcdoogle
(09-14-2017, 12:21 AM)
Do we know how AirPods are going to sync, either by the new tvOS or new hardware? I thought I read once that you needed to initiate the AirPods into a bluetooth connection via the case and you couldn't do the typical fast switching afforded by macOS and iOS devices.
Zeyphersan
(09-14-2017, 12:27 AM)

Originally Posted by brianmcdoogle

Do we know how AirPods are going to sync, either by the new tvOS or new hardware? I thought I read once that you needed to initiate the AirPods into a bluetooth connection via the case and you couldn't do the typical fast switching afforded by macOS and iOS devices.

You can! If you're watching media you can swipe down and go over to the audio tab and the AirPods (or any W1 receiver) should be there, AND if you're on the main tvOS menu you can hold down the play/pause button and an audio selector will come up
jts
...hate me...
(09-14-2017, 12:29 AM)

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

"Later this year"

👍
PhoncipleBone
(09-14-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

You can! If you're watching media you can swipe down and go over to the audio tab and the AirPods (or any W1 receiver) should be there, AND if you're on the main tvOS menu you can hold down the play/pause button and an audio selector will come up

Used the swipe down for subtitles and dynamic range when watching at night, but now gotta try this with my Beats X.
Zeyphersan
(09-14-2017, 01:21 AM)

Used the swipe down for subtitles and dynamic range when watching at night, but now gotta try this with my Beats X.

You'll have to sync it like normal first, but after that it should work. Also fast switching isn't *really* supported by tvOS, it's kind of a hack. So it might take longer to switch than from say an iPhone to an iPad
PhoncipleBone
(09-14-2017, 01:40 AM)

You'll have to sync it like normal first, but after that it should work. Also fast switching isn't *really* supported by tvOS, it's kind of a hack. So it might take longer to switch than from say an iPhone to an iPad

Testing it now. Fast switch doesn't work without going back to Bluetooth menu. Hopped from AppleTV to my Apple Watch. Then tried to go back to tv and had to go back to Bluetooth to use again.
Zeyphersan
(09-14-2017, 01:42 AM)

Testing it now. Fast switch doesn't work without going back to Bluetooth menu. Hopped from AppleTV to my Apple Watch. Then tried to go back to tv and had to go back to Bluetooth to use again.

I have far more reliability holding down play/pause on the home screen versus trying to do it with media already playing, fwiw

Edit: I should also note these only work on tvOS11
PhoncipleBone
(09-14-2017, 01:55 AM)

I have far more reliability holding down play/pause on the home screen versus trying to do it with media already playing, fwiw

Edit: I should also note these only work on tvOS11

On 10.2 or something. Will see how it goes when 11 is publicly available. Thanks!
Sean
(09-14-2017, 02:05 AM)

On 10.2 or something. Will see how it goes when 11 is publicly available. Thanks!

If you want it now it's pretty easy and painless to get into the public beta, whole process takes like two minutes. The GM build is available right now so you're really getting the final version a week early.

Just sign in to http://beta.apple.com/ with your Apple ID and enroll.

Then when you go to Settings -> System -> Software Updates on your Apple TV you'll see a "Get Public Beta Updates" option.

Edit: Here's two screenshots of what the fast switching looks like in tvOS 11 (using my Beats Solo 3's):

Play/Pause button on home screen lets you change audio source:

Swiping down while playing video:

Last edited by Sean; 09-14-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Quasar
(09-14-2017, 02:55 AM)

The file sizes would probably take a huge jump though, which might be why they didn't use them.

I guess thats the thing with Apple, if they arent going to use it in tunes they can't be assed to support it. Unlike say Nvidia, who has done plenty of work to support stuff where they can.

Means I still need both a shield and a appletv rather than there being one device to rule them all.
PhoncipleBone
(09-14-2017, 02:58 AM)

If you want it now it's pretty easy and painless to get into the public beta, whole process takes like two minutes. The GM build is available right now so you're really getting the final version a week early.

Just sign in to http://beta.apple.com/ with your Apple ID and enroll.

Then when you go to Settings -> System -> Software Updates on your Apple TV you'll see a "Get Public Beta Updates" option.

Edit: Here's two screenshots of what the fast switching looks like in tvOS 11 (using my Beats Solo 3's):

That is messing with me since my name is Sean as well...