• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ErnieMcCracken
(12-18-2016, 05:25 AM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

That just confirms that he should send me the coffee and cognac versions, just to be safe.

Anyways, I feel like I am going to regret my choices tomorrow. Got home from work about 4pm after being up since 6am. Started with an Enjoy By, then had a bottle of Tweak while making dinner. Then finished the growler of the Lagunitas Willett Imperial Stout (about 20oz). I feel I am going to feel like shit in the morning, and I don't care.

You're going to feel it alright. What else you got in the fridge? Still have a Tweak in the fridge and was tempted to grab some more today when I was out. Crazy how it's a shelf turd now.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(12-18-2016, 06:08 AM)

Originally Posted by ErnieMcCracken

You're going to feel it alright. What else you got in the fridge? Still have a Tweak in the fridge and was tempted to grab some more today when I was out. Crazy how it's a shelf turd now.

Have a bunch of Prairie stuff (Pirate Noir, Vanilla Noir, Prairie Noir, Barrel Aged Bomb), Avery Mephistopheles, Dogfish Worldwide Stout, Stone Xocoveza and Enjoy By, Zombie Dust, Alpha King, Even More Jesus, Ommegang Game of Thrones Tripel, and some ATG Bo & Luke. Just pulled my Abyss aged in Whiskey Barrels from 2015 to chill the other day. Says best after tomorrow, so I plan on hitting that soon.

Yes, I am ready for if the power goes out tomorrow with these storms in SOKY. Also have some bourbon at the ready too.

I have made a huge mistake...

EDIT: On a different note, quite enjoyed the Tweak tonight. It was both better and not as good as I remembered. The coffee definitely isn't as strong as I remembered, and the bourbon was stronger. It felt more balanced this year. Quite good, but not sure about $15 a bottle good. Still have another upstairs stashed away for next year either way.
ACE 1991
(12-18-2016, 04:35 PM)
My first homebrew attempt was a great success! I brewed a simple pale ale with extract, nice body with the right amount of malt/hop ratio in the flavor. I threw some citra pellets at the end of the boil that my buddy had left over for aroma, which ended up giving the brew a really bright smell. Already thinking about the next brew, my parents are getting me a kettle burner for xmas because I can't imagine ever boiling 5 gallons of water on a damn stovetop again (it took hours to really start boiling).

Do any homebrewers here have recommmendations for a nice hefeweizen extract recipe?
distantmantra
(12-19-2016, 12:44 AM)

Wife and I were up in Vancouver BC for the weekend. Grabbed some beers up there and also some cans at a brewery in Bellingham on the way home.
distantmantra
(12-19-2016, 11:02 PM)

And while I was away, Holy Mountain released their first cans. Fortunately a buddy grabbed me some.
Jarnet87
(12-19-2016, 11:17 PM)
Funky Buddha releasing what is probably their most anticipated release of the year and they are doing it on a Friday at 11:30 AM. So much for getting bottles.
Link
The Autumn Wind
(12-20-2016, 05:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Jarnet87

Funky Buddha releasing what is probably their most anticipated release of the year and they are doing it on a Friday at 11:30 AM. So much for getting bottles.

I'm off Friday. Guess I know where I'll be.
Lotto
(12-21-2016, 09:11 AM)

Originally Posted by distantmantra

And while I was away, Holy Mountain released their first cans. Fortunately a buddy grabbed me some.

Dig those labels, looks great. Grats to them on their first can release, hopefully to many more.
ACE 1991
(12-21-2016, 04:38 PM)
First homebrew turned out great! Nice and flavorful pale ale with a pleasant amount of hoppiness. Excited to guzzle most of the bottles with my buddies on new year's Eve.

codhand
(12-21-2016, 07:41 PM)
cheers bruh, what kind of hops?
ACE 1991
(12-21-2016, 08:24 PM)

Originally Posted by codhand

cheers bruh, what kind of hops?

Cascade, with a little bit of citra thrown in that my friend had lying around at the end of the boil for aroma. I'm going to try my hand at a fruity citra IPA next, I think.

EDIT: http://shop.greatfermentations.com/p...ract-beer-kits

Strongly considering this kit, it sounds delicious. But $60 is a bit of cash to drop on something that I could totally ruin.
theSlacker
(12-22-2016, 01:42 AM)
Drank a Dark Lord variant this weekend and now another whole foods near me has Abraxas on tap. This was a good week.
Mitch
(12-22-2016, 02:03 AM)

Originally Posted by theSlacker

Drank a Dark Lord variant this weekend and now another whole foods near me has Abraxas on tap. This was a good week.

One of these days I'll get to try Dark Lord.

Had a Jungle Juiced Head Hunter from Fat Head's tonight. Almost too much orange, but it was so refreshing and crushable that I loved it.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(12-22-2016, 02:51 AM)
I had a long day of work followed by almost 3 hours of dental work. I deserved something special. My wife was kind enough to get me some Belgian Quads to get me through the night. And tomorrow night.
newdayrocks
(12-22-2016, 07:03 AM)
Mantra, you weren't kidding about Kauai Ono. Holy shit.
distantmantra
(12-22-2016, 07:07 AM)

Originally Posted by newdayrocks

Mantra, you weren't kidding about Kauai Ono. Holy shit.

Aww yeah.
DorkLord54
(12-23-2016, 10:29 AM)
Is it wrong I didn't like New Holland Dragon's Milk? I thought it was too sweet for my tastes.
distantmantra
(12-23-2016, 09:46 PM)

Originally Posted by DorkLord54

Is it wrong I didn't like New Holland Dragon's Milk? I thought it was too sweet for my tastes.

Nope. I find it to be a diabeetus bomb.
riotous
(12-23-2016, 09:53 PM)
Strange, don't find it all that sweet. had it on tap and in bottle recently. But I have a strange palette with a high tolerance for sweetness and burn.

Also had a bottle of Spice Wars the other day; definitely can taste the adjuncts more than I could on tap.
distantmantra
(12-23-2016, 10:38 PM)
A lot of these big stouts are losing all subtlety. And my interest.
riotous
(12-24-2016, 07:19 AM)
Grabbed a couple of Abyss 2016's in the wild today. Gonna pop one in a bit, getting it to cellar temp-ish.
overcast
(12-24-2016, 07:23 AM)
My local Bevmo had a mistake sign up. 5.49 for a peppermint victory at sea. They made sure to correct it after, but I figured that was a good price for a 10% seasonal beer.

Despite the fact it kinda sounds gross.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(12-25-2016, 05:45 AM)
Spending my xmas eve getting tuned up on a delicious pale ale from the brewery I work at. Free growlers of powerful beer are (usually...) a blessing. 🙌
newdayrocks
(12-25-2016, 07:05 AM)
OK, I've had all the beer on Kauai. Just not a beer location.

Originally Posted by overcast

My local Bevmo had a mistake sign up. 5.49 for a peppermint victory at sea. They made sure to correct it after, but I figured that was a good price for a 10% seasonal beer.

Despite the fact it kinda sounds gross.

Peppermint Victory at Sea is legit. Significantly better than the original.
distantmantra
(12-25-2016, 06:45 PM)

OK, I've had all the beer on Kauai. Just not a beer locationl.

Definitely not. Oahu has the best bars and most breweries, Maui has the best distribution.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(12-26-2016, 11:36 PM)
Took my car in for a new battery, and I am waiting at a local pub until it is done. They have 120 Min on tap. I felt bad about ordering it because I have to drive soon. They called and said I need a new alternator. I don't feel bad about this pint of 120 now. It washes the expensive pain away. Thank god my wife is driving. Bless her.
HiResDes
(12-27-2016, 09:10 PM)
I'm sorry man that sucks I'd have ordered a couple or graduated to some Old Crow at that point lol
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(12-28-2016, 06:02 AM)

Originally Posted by HiResDes

I'm sorry man that sucks I'd have ordered a couple or graduated to some Old Crow at that point lol

A pint of 120 at 330pm and on an empty stomach was more than enough.
Cybrwzrd
Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
(12-28-2016, 06:17 AM)
So I finally boiled my first wort and set it in my fermenter system I bought on Kickstarter. I'm worried that I made two rookie mistakes tho.

When pulling wort off to test the OG, I kind of wasn't paying attention (had 3 beers during the boil) and dipped the bottom of the cylinder flask thing you test OG into the cooled wort.

Also I didn't think to filter out my hops so there is a ton in the trub jar even after dumping once.
codhand
(12-28-2016, 03:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Cybrwzrd

Also I didn't think to filter out my hops so there is a ton in the trub jar even after dumping once.

let us know how it turns out
distantmantra
(12-28-2016, 06:38 PM)
Day trip to Portland yesterday for shopping, beer and ramen.

Grabbed some crowlers for NYE.
Mitch
(12-28-2016, 09:13 PM)
Nice pick up.

Any of you tried Lagunitas Hop Stoopid? Picking up a pack and possibly their limited release CitruSinensis pale ale.
riotous
(12-28-2016, 09:20 PM)
Had a Bourbon County Rare (2015) on Christmas night; very cocktail-ish which I like. I've had stronger beers but nothing with quite so much bourbon flavor. Personally loved it, but not for everyone, and not a good value either way lol.
Bacon
(12-28-2016, 09:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Mitch

Nice pick up.

Any of you tried Lagunitas Hop Stoopid? Picking up a pack and possibly their limited release CitruSinensis pale ale.

It's alright. It's cheap and has a high alcohol content so it's a good go to if I just want to throw one on but I wouldn't say it's a phenomenal beer or anything.
HiResDes
(12-28-2016, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by riotous

Had a Bourbon County Rare (2015) on Christmas night; very cocktail-ish which I like. I've had stronger beers but nothing with quite so much bourbon flavor. Personally loved it, but not for everyone, and not a good value either way lol.

Have you ever had Prop that's the variant id kill to try every year.
newdayrocks
(12-28-2016, 11:04 PM)
Celebrated our return home from Hawaii with my first-ever bottle of Prairie's Christmas Bomb. That's damn tasty!
riotous
(12-28-2016, 11:24 PM)

Nah; see a lot of empty bottles/boxes on display at shops and whatnot but never had one.
Lotto
(12-29-2016, 07:55 PM)

Prop '14 was magical. The best coconut barrel aged beer I've ever had, constantly searching for another beer like it. Haven't had any of the other years. I've heard they're less desirable but I'd like to try them for myself.
riotous
(12-29-2016, 08:25 PM)
Bruery Coconut and Mash is the best coconut barrel aged beer I've had; love a good coconut beer.
sharkmuncher
(12-29-2016, 08:28 PM)
Blend some Death by Coconut with your favorite BA stout. BAM! Coconut BA stout!
riotous
(12-29-2016, 08:30 PM)
I prefer Maui Brewing Company Coconut Porter; but I have some Death by Coconut and some Barrel Aged Ten Fiddy in my fridge, that might be more fitting.
distantmantra
(12-29-2016, 08:41 PM)

Bruery Coconut and Mash is the best coconut barrel aged beer I've had; love a good coconut beer.

Fremont's Midnight Rider Imperial Porter (coffee, vanilla and coconut) was awesome. Wish they'd do that again and throw some in a barrel.
Lotto
(12-29-2016, 09:03 PM)

Interesting, my friend has a membership to Bruery, wonder if he can get this one.
HiResDes
(12-29-2016, 09:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Lotto

Prop '14 was magical. The best coconut barrel aged beer I've ever had, constantly searching for another beer like it. Haven't had any of the other years. I've heard they're less desirable but I'd like to try them for myself.

15 sounded incredible to me but of course it was largely infected.
newdayrocks
(12-30-2016, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by sharkmuncher

Blend some Death by Coconut with your favorite BA stout. BAM! Coconut BA stout!

I've still never mixed two beers together. Not sure I really see the point.
HiResDes
(12-30-2016, 01:41 AM)

Experimentation I haven't yet but I'd try. Poured a shot of brandy into an Imperial Stout before too lol
riotous
(12-30-2016, 02:14 AM)
Well loads of specialty / anniversary beers are blends in the first place.

I've never done it at home, but if I'm sitting at a bar with a flight of tasters I'll sometimes mix the last few sips of different beers.
sharkmuncher
(12-30-2016, 02:52 PM)

I think it's fun to play with flavors, especially when beers have a strong fruit or spice component. Rubaeus is another fun beer to mess around with blending.
Saya
(12-30-2016, 03:29 PM)
Guys, I got gifted a big selection of various trappist beers. What is the best way to store them? I'm not going to drink them all right away. I reckon if I want to have one, I'll just cool them in the fridge for a while before opening.

sharkmuncher
(12-30-2016, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Saya

Guys, I got gifted a big selection of various trappist beers. What is the best way to store them? I'm not going to drink them all right away. I reckon if I want to have one, I'll just cool them in the fridge for a while before opening.

Steady temperature is best. Basement floor or against a cool wall would be good. Keeping them all in the fridge would also be good. Avoid light and heat.