• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

HiResDes
(01-05-2017, 08:51 PM)

Originally Posted by ErnieMcCracken

I would like to taste fresh vs aged. See how that brett affects the overall profile. Wonderful beer regardless. Belgium...some day.

Might make the trip up to Cappys for some Perrin
riotous
(01-06-2017, 01:29 AM)
Tempted to grab a Pineapple Milkshake IPA from Urban Family; never had a milkshake IPA and they have them at my grocery store.
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 01:43 AM)

Fremont is releasing one tomorrow for Chuck CD's third anniversary. The name of the beer is an inside joke we started on the NW BA forum.

Originally Posted by riotous

Tempted to grab a Pineapple Milkshake IPA from Urban Family; never had a milkshake IPA and they have them at my grocery store.

Lower your expectations with that one. Lots of lactose and very dry.
riotous
(01-06-2017, 02:12 AM)
Maybe I'll pass then; although I do like beers on the sweet side. Will see what mood I'm in tonight, really should just be putting a dent in my existing backlog.
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 02:19 AM)

Maybe I'll pass then; although I do like beers on the sweet side. Will see what mood I'm in tonight, really should just be putting a dent in my existing backlog.

They're not necessarily sweet. And this beer isn't. There's some pineapple in there but lots of bitter Calypso hops with a dry finish.
riotous
(01-06-2017, 02:20 AM)
Well count me out then, thanks for the description.

So Chuck's CD 3rd anno party is Saturday?
Lotto
(01-06-2017, 06:16 AM)
Reading that label just reminded me.

RIP Equinox hops
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 06:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Lotto

Reading that label just reminded me.

RIP Equinox hops

Trademark dispute with someone. They've never publicly said who.
Rei_Toei
Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
(01-06-2017, 01:53 PM)
Yay, relatives from Japan send a gift box, including this:

Love the label of the Yo-Ho Suiyoubi No Neko :)
newdayrocks
(01-06-2017, 04:20 PM)
Heading to San Francisco for the first time in March, and will be staying in the Embarcadero. Anyone have must-do beer/brewery recommendations for that area and anywhere nearby I can hit via public transportation/Uber?
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 06:02 PM)

Originally Posted by newdayrocks

Heading to San Francisco for the first time in March, and will be staying in the Embarcadero. Anyone have must-do beer/brewery recommendations for that area and anywhere nearby I can hit via public transportation/Uber?

Cellarmaker, Fieldwork, Toronado, City Beer Store.
ErnieMcCracken
(01-06-2017, 06:03 PM)

Rent a car and get to Russian River.
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 06:16 PM)

Originally Posted by ErnieMcCracken

Rent a car and get to Russian River.

Yeah. If you have time to rent a car you also need to hit up Sainte Adairius Rustic Ales (SARA) in Capitola.

Honestly, I'd suggest SARA over Russian River since you have access to RR in Oregon.
riotous
(01-06-2017, 07:12 PM)
I'll be in Santa Barbara next week; not really recognizing the local breweries.. any advice?
distantmantra
(01-06-2017, 08:45 PM)
My wife has a conference at one of the resorts near Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, FL next month. My daughter and I are gonna tag along. Looks like we're stuck out in the middle of nowhere and a craft beer wasteland, but I'll find some beers to drink at a nearby grocery store for the hotel. Cigar City?

I'll be in Santa Barbara next week; not really recognizing the local breweries.. any advice?

I've heard of Telegraph before, and Firestone Walker isn't very far away.
riotous
(01-06-2017, 08:56 PM)
Yeah FW is 40 minutes away or so; not sure if I can swing that, will probably have co-workers tagging along.

Thanks for reminding me of Telegraph; I've seen there beers around here but not sure I've tried any.
eyeball_kid
(01-06-2017, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Rei_Toei

Yay, relatives from Japan send a gift box, including this:

Love the label of the Yo-Ho Suiyoubi No Neko :)

My local actually gets the Neko sometimes. I quite like it! It's sort of like a white ale with a mild Belgian flavor profile.
riotous
(01-06-2017, 09:07 PM)
Yeah Whole Foods sells Neko.
Jarnet87
(01-06-2017, 09:46 PM)

Originally Posted by distantmantra

My wife has a conference at one of the resorts near Disney World in Lake Buena Vista, FL next month. My daughter and I are gonna tag along. Looks like we're stuck out in the middle of nowhere and a craft beer wasteland, but I'll find some beers to drink at a nearby grocery store for the hotel. Cigar City?

Do you have access to a car? i have read Knightly is the best place but is not really close. Closest place is an ABC liquor that does not have as good selection.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...update.333919/

Link to the newest Tampa/Orlando thread as a lot of people coming for vacation ask about where to drink/buy beer in those two cities.

Edit: link below is the newest thread. The one above was last years. Would still browse through it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...update.475158/
distantmantra
(01-07-2017, 01:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Jarnet87

Do you have access to a car? i have read Knightly is the best place but is not really close. Closest place is an ABC liquor that does not have as good selection.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...update.333919/

Link to the newest Tampa/Orlando thread as a lot of people coming for vacation ask about where to drink/buy beer in those two cities.

Edit: link below is the newest thread. The one above was last years. Would still browse through it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...update.475158/

We're not getting a rental car, shuttling from he airport to the resort and the parks, so taking a bus to the closest Publix is the best option. I'll have my 5 year old daughter with me while my wife is the conference the first two days.

Not looking for whales or anything fancy. Just some good local beers.
Jarnet87
(01-07-2017, 01:30 AM)

We're not getting a rental car, shuttling from he airport to the resort and the parks, so taking a bus to the closest Publix is the best option. I'll have my 5 year old daughter with me while my wife is the conference the first two days.

You can go to most publix stores in the state and get Cigar City's year long offerings, maybe they will have a couple other local brewis, depends on the store.
Kjellson
(01-07-2017, 01:32 AM)
I think I'm going to Portland in April. Is it easy to get de Garde beers over there or is it super exclusive?
distantmantra
(01-07-2017, 01:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Kjellson

I think I'm going to Portland in April. Is it easy to get de Garde beers over there or is it super exclusive?

You might find a couple random de Garde bottles in Portland, but the majority are brewery only out in Tillamook.
newdayrocks
(01-07-2017, 01:47 AM)

You should be able to find a few bottles in Portland, but if you can make the 90-minute drive to their place in Tilamook, you'd be a whole lot better off.

EDIT: Jinx!
distantmantra
(01-07-2017, 01:49 AM)
And if you don't make it to Tillamook, there are plenty of amazing beers in Portland you'll have access to.
ErnieMcCracken
(01-07-2017, 06:08 AM)

If you're coming in via 417 from the airport, the Knightly Spirits Orange Blossom Trail location was solid and it's right off 417. Bribe the driver to make a quick pit stop for you.
DorkLord54
(01-07-2017, 06:21 PM)

Interesting how Monkish and Smog City quietly entered WA distribution with zero fanfare or hype. Kinda nice. Modern Times coming soon, too.

Unlike Founders and Bells who are throwing massive parties. Aside from the Midwest transplants I'm not sure how well they'll do out here.

They should do fine hopefully, both produce quality beer.
distantmantra
(01-07-2017, 06:24 PM)

Originally Posted by DorkLord54

They should do fine hopefully, both produce quality beer.

Except our market is already full of quality options, which is why I could see Midwest transplants buying some, but I don't see a lot of people changing their habits. Unlike other markets we aren't hurting for good beer. Why buy a six pack of All Day IPA when I've got Fremont Session pale and Bale Breaker Field 41?
Kjellson
(01-07-2017, 10:00 PM)

You might find a couple random de Garde bottles in Portland, but the majority are brewery only out in Tillamook.

You should be able to find a few bottles in Portland, but if you can make the 90-minute drive to their place in Tilamook, you'd be a whole lot better off.

EDIT: Jinx!

Yeah, I probably won't have time to go on a road grip unfortunately. But I will have my eye open for eventual de Garde beers!

And if you don't make it to Tillamook, there are plenty of amazing beers in Portland you'll have access to.

Of course! I am very stoked about this trip.
newdayrocks
(01-07-2017, 10:19 PM)

Yeah, I probably won't have time to go on a road grip unfortunately. But I will have my eye open for eventual de Garde beers!

Of course! I am very stoked about this trip.

John's Marketplace is my go-to shop up there, and I've seen several de Gardes there, so might be a good place to put on your agenda.
distantmantra
(01-07-2017, 10:45 PM)
Block 15, Great Notion, Upright, Ale Apothecary all got to covered.

John's Marketplace is my go-to shop up there, and I've seen several de Gardes there, so might be a good place to put on your agenda.

The issue is that de Garde doesn't distribute much outside the brewery. What Portland does get doesn't hang around very long. Maybe a week or so
newdayrocks
(01-07-2017, 10:50 PM)

Block 15, Great Notion, Upright, Ale Apothecary all got to covered.

The issue is that de Garde doesn't distribute much outside the brewery. What Portland does get doesn't hang around very long. Maybe a week or so

Their stuff tends to stick around a bit longer here in Corvallis, but not that much longer. Typically gone within a couple of weeks.

I'm feeling the need to head back up to Tilamook to visit them again. Great place.
Kjellson
(01-08-2017, 12:02 AM)

Thanks for the tip! Even if I won't find any de Garde beers I'm sure I will find a lot of great beer in Portland. The pics at the place look amazing.
sharkmuncher
(01-08-2017, 12:22 AM)

I love a good smoked porter. Also, brandy snifters that can fit a whole bomber with room to spare are great.
Link
The Autumn Wind
(01-08-2017, 12:33 AM)

Originally Posted by sharkmuncher

I love a good smoked porter. Also, brandy snifters that can fit a whole bomber with room to spare are great.

Immediately made me think of this:

distantmantra
(01-08-2017, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by sharkmuncher

I've got a 1996 Alaskan Smoked Porter waiting for I have no idea what.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(01-08-2017, 01:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Link

Immediately made me think of this:

My wife and I got some really nice wine glasses for our wedding back in 08. One set is large enough to almost hold a whole bomber in each glass. I have used them once or twice for that over the years. Even has the tapered top like a snifter does.

Think the last time I used it was 2 years ago to drink a bomber of St. Bernardus Abt 12.
distantmantra
(01-08-2017, 01:15 AM)
We talking about Markintiharing? Aww yeah.

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/t...ng-thread.576/
eyeball_kid
(01-08-2017, 02:42 AM)

I've got a 1996 Alaskan Smoked Porter waiting for I have no idea what.

1996?? How long can beers really be cellared? I've heard of some people doing the Stone Vertical Epic flights, but never heard of drinking one from the 90's. I always figured beer had a shorter lifespan than wine.

Also, how are Alaskan beers? I've seen them before but never tried.
HiResDes
(01-08-2017, 03:28 AM)
Made the trip up to Cappys at around noon and they still had No Rules on tap couldn't fucking resist two 10oz pours and was reeling. It's definitely not for the diabetic but holy shit lived up to hype. Also sampled Lizard of Koz which was in a way even sweeter without the booze or complexity to mask its overly cloying nature... Terrible, supposedly it was in a barrel, didn't get any of that
riotous
(01-08-2017, 03:33 AM)
Missed Rusty Nail on tap by 10 minutes or so; that's the third time in the last few months lol.
Drpunch
(01-08-2017, 04:28 AM)
Doing a vertical of Unibroue 17 from 2013 to 2015. Never done one before so it should be fun. Pretty big difference between the 13 and 14 so far; found the 13 had a lot of oak and could really taste the malts whereas the 14 is pretty sweet like most Belgian Strong Ales. Only cost me $30 CAD too!
HiResDes
(01-08-2017, 04:34 AM)
Which Uni
Drpunch
(01-08-2017, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by HiResDes

Which Uni

Unibroue 17
. Damn good so far!
HiResDes
(01-08-2017, 04:49 AM)
Never had that, need that
Link
The Autumn Wind
(01-08-2017, 05:01 AM)

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

My wife and I got some really nice wine glasses for our wedding back in 08. One set is large enough to almost hold a whole bomber in each glass. I have used them once or twice for that over the years. Even has the tapered top like a snifter does.

Think the last time I used it was 2 years ago to drink a bomber of St. Bernardus Abt 12.

The ironic thing is I'm so drunk right now that my friend has my keys.
distantmantra
(01-08-2017, 05:11 AM)

GO HAWKS. #onlyWAbeer
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(01-08-2017, 05:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Drpunch

Unibroue 17
. Damn good so far!

Originally Posted by HiResDes

Never had that, need that

Damn good. Had to look up my check in on it on Untappd and it was two years ago on the 8th. Haven't seen it around since. Would love to get some more.
eyeball_kid
(01-08-2017, 07:11 AM)

GO HAWKS. #onlyWAbeer

Nice Pavement poster.

I opened a Big Bad Baptist. Great nose. Pretty good, nicely balanced. Wish it was a tad creamier and it's a bit chalky with the intense cocoa flavor, but overall it's solid.
Socreges
Banned
(01-08-2017, 08:33 PM)
So uh

The first is from England and precedes the second from BC