• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Fox Mulder
Member
(09-11-2017, 05:13 PM)
Fox Mulder's Avatar

Originally Posted by kevin1025

I definitely agree the miniseries/TV movie doesn't hold up. But I liked the hell out of the new movie! Even though I didn't find it scary, it was everything else, along with the cinematography and the creepy visuals, that won me over. The characters and the humor were the standouts.

The tv movie has Tim Curry though. He's creepy as a regular looking clown instead of what the new movie went with.

It's dated, but I also figured the new film would be fucked by the current Hollywood shit trends of horror that will make it forgettable in time.
MetroidPrimeRib
Banned
(09-11-2017, 06:36 PM)
"Subtlety is not a word in the cinematic language of this film"

Man I disagree so hard. Theres plenty of immense looming dread, like the old lady in the back of the library scene that slowly creeps closer with a barely visible malicious grin on her face

Theres always a buildup to a jumpscare.

and damn so condescending.
kevin1025
Banned
(09-11-2017, 07:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Fox Mulder

The tv movie has Tim Curry though. He's creepy as a regular looking clown instead of what the new movie went with.

It's dated, but I also figured the new film would be fucked by the current Hollywood shit trends of horror that will make it forgettable in time.

Yep, Tim Curry is fantastic in it. I mean more that everything else doesn't hold up, it all falls pretty flat apart from him. For me, at least!
The Scollard
Member
(09-12-2017, 05:41 AM)
The Scollard's Avatar
Just saw It. I liked it more than Mike and Jay did (I'm a sucker for coming of age stories, so that was a big plus for me), and I also liked Skaarsgard's protrayal of Pennywise.

I had the same problems they had with the movie's horror segments, but those problems didn't bother me as much, though I can understand why they would bother Mike and Jay. I thought the kids were great, and I thought they had great chemistry, so that made up for the LOUDNOISE horror to me.

The creepiest moments were when the film was being subtle, and I wished it had more moments like that. The most unnerving scene for me was when Ben was reading the book, and the Librarian faces the camera with a creepy grin on her face, and slowly gets closer with each shot. She's in the background, and the film doesn't pay attention to her, so it ended up being the scariest part for me.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(09-12-2017, 05:29 PM)
Hey, kids, it's "hyperbolical statement, based on anecdotal evidence" time! It's my favorite time of the day!

JJ directs Episode VII:
Gets praised almost everywhere, but people have turned on the movie and hate it now.

Rian Johnson directs Episode VIII:
It's not out yet, but people say it's the best Star Wars movie ever created. Rian Johnson is simply amazing and should have free reign over the franchise. He can do no wrong, that's how good Episode VIII is.

JJ is now set to direct Episode IX:
People want the amazing visionary god director Rian Johnson to finish the trilogy, because he did such an amazing job with Episode VIII. JJ sucks and can go home, because he made the worst Star Wars movie ever created.

LakeEarth
Member
(09-12-2017, 08:46 PM)
LakeEarth's Avatar
I had a question that's RLM related. Does anyone know the cheapest way to acquire The Last Vampire on Earth? I mentioned it to my friends and they wanted to do a bad movie night.
Euphony
Banned
(09-12-2017, 08:55 PM)

Originally Posted by LakeEarth

I had a question that's RLM related. Does anyone know the cheapest way to acquire The Last Vampire on Earth? I mentioned it to my friends and they wanted to do a bad movie night.

I did a quick search and it seems that it's included with Amazon Prime so you can stream it from there
Gobias
Banned
(09-12-2017, 08:58 PM)

Originally Posted by LakeEarth

I had a question that's RLM related. Does anyone know the cheapest way to acquire The Last Vampire on Earth? I mentioned it to my friends and they wanted to do a bad movie night.

It's on Youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9q5iT81sDg&t=2403s
kevin1025
Banned
(09-12-2017, 09:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Gobias

It's on Youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9q5iT81sDg&t=2403s

That timestamp, haha.
BassForever
Member
(09-12-2017, 10:15 PM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by kevin1025

That timestamp, haha.

Expected aids scene

Got something better
kevin1025
Banned
(09-12-2017, 10:23 PM)

Originally Posted by BassForever

Expected aids scene

Got something better

She goes from throwing up, to getting told she's fucked, to laughing with friends in the span of two minutes.

I need to watch this thing fully to investigate more.
LakeEarth
Member
(09-12-2017, 11:04 PM)
LakeEarth's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gobias

It's on Youtube for free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9q5iT81sDg&t=2403s

Oh shit, awesome thanks.
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(09-12-2017, 11:48 PM)
TAJ's Avatar
JJ is a great choice to direct these things.
Oh... he's writing, too?
Bwahahahahaha.
BigAT
Banned
(09-13-2017, 01:32 AM)
BigAT's Avatar
"Life...is a nightmare."

-Mike Stoklasa
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(09-13-2017, 02:19 AM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar
I watched some of the more notorious BOTW episodes---Exploding Varmints, How to Get Revenge, Eloise Cole, Tales from Genesis Space, and the Hypnosis one.

Realizing the Hypnosis one was apparently softcore hypnosis fetish porn, I'm kind of surprised nobody brought up the fact the American Flatulators video was probably fart fetish shit. I mean, I actually don't think it was designed to be, but it seems like something people in that community would probably latch onto with all the hot girls making fart noises.
Euphony
Banned
(09-13-2017, 02:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

I watched some of the more notorious BOTW episodes---Exploding Varmints, How to Get Revenge, Eloise Cole, Tales from Genesis Space, and the Hypnosis one.

Realizing the Hypnosis one was apparently softcore hypnosis fetish porn, I'm kind of surprised nobody brought up the fact the American Flatulators video was probably fart fetish shit. I mean, I actually don't think it was designed to be, but it seems like something people in that community would probably latch onto with all the hot girls making fart noises.

They're too pure to immediately think of hypnosis and fart fetish porn
The Scollard
Member
(09-13-2017, 04:08 AM)
The Scollard's Avatar
Shamelessly stolen from the r/movies subreddit, but which do you guys think is scarier: Pennywise (1990), Pennywise (2017), or Eloise Cole?
kevin1025
Banned
(09-13-2017, 04:09 AM)

Originally Posted by The Scollard

Shamelessly stolen from the r/movies subreddit, but which do you guys think is scarier: Pennywise (1990), Pennywise (2017), or Eloise Cole?

Eloise Cole.

Close second: Hospital Clowning guy.
Fat4all
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:01 AM)
Fat4all's Avatar

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

I watched some of the more notorious BOTW episodes---Exploding Varmints, How to Get Revenge, Eloise Cole, Tales from Genesis Space, and the Hypnosis one.

Realizing the Hypnosis one was apparently softcore hypnosis fetish porn, I'm kind of surprised nobody brought up the fact the American Flatulators video was probably fart fetish shit. I mean, I actually don't think it was designed to be, but it seems like something people in that community would probably latch onto with all the hot girls making fart noises.

Hjod
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

I watched some of the more notorious BOTW episodes---Exploding Varmints, How to Get Revenge, Eloise Cole, Tales from Genesis Space, and the Hypnosis one.

Realizing the Hypnosis one was apparently softcore hypnosis fetish porn, I'm kind of surprised nobody brought up the fact the American Flatulators video was probably fart fetish shit. I mean, I actually don't think it was designed to be, but it seems like something people in that community would probably latch onto with all the hot girls making fart noises.


Exploding Varmits showed me what a horrible person I'm truly are. I laughed my ass off, but at the same time I felt horrible for the poor little Varmits.

I did not expect them to explode even if the tape is called exploding varmits..
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(09-13-2017, 10:12 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hjod

Exploding Varmits showed me what a horrible person I'm truly are. I laughed my ass off, but at the same time I felt horrible for the poor little Varmits.

I did not expect them to explode even if the tape is called exploding varmits..

Anything solid can explode from a projectile impact with enough mass and velocity.
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(09-13-2017, 04:27 PM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hjod

Exploding Varmits showed me what a horrible person I'm truly are. I laughed my ass off, but at the same time I felt horrible for the poor little Varmits.

I did not expect them to explode even if the tape is called exploding varmits..

I feel like I wouldn't have laughed had it not been censored---but yeah, that was pretty disturbing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen clips of that outside RLM though, like there was a thread on GAF about it once?
BoogieWoogie
Member
(09-13-2017, 04:29 PM)
BoogieWoogie's Avatar
That hypnotism video was something else.

Completely lost it when the narrator recommended unplugging all the phones.
Fat4all
Member
(09-13-2017, 10:15 PM)
Fat4all's Avatar

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

That hypnotism video was something else.

Completely lost it when the narrator recommended unplugging all the phones.

you dont want any distractions, after all













or escape attempts
BassForever
Member
(09-13-2017, 10:18 PM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fat4all

you dont want any distractions, after all













or escape attempts

Thats why you keep cans of raid within easy access of the crawl space
Hjod
Banned
(09-13-2017, 10:46 PM)

Originally Posted by TAJ

Anything solid can explode from a projectile impact with enough mass and velocity.

Sure, but I didn't expect the title would be so litteral.

Originally Posted by Watch Da Birdie

I feel like I wouldn't have laughed had it not been censored---but yeah, that was pretty disturbing.

I'm pretty sure I've seen clips of that outside RLM though, like there was a thread on GAF about it once?


It made me feel queesy tbh, but I couldn't stop laughing.
jett
D-Member
(09-15-2017, 05:11 PM)
jett's Avatar
Lost interest in their IT review halfway through. I guess that happens when they cover a movie I give no fucks about.
brotkasten
A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude
(09-15-2017, 05:34 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

Lost interest in their IT review halfway through. I guess that happens when they cover a movie I give no fucks about.

Hey look, it's a HitB episode!
Lupercal
Banned
(09-15-2017, 06:10 PM)

Originally Posted by brotkasten

Hey, kids, it's "hyperbolical statement, based on anecdotal evidence" time! It's my favorite time of the day!

JJ directs Episode VII:
Gets praised almost everywhere, but people have turned on the movie and hate it now.

Rian Johnson directs Episode VIII:
It's not out yet, but people say it's the best Star Wars movie ever created. Rian Johnson is simply amazing and should have free reign over the franchise. He can do no wrong, that's how good Episode VIII is.

JJ is now set to direct Episode IX:
People want the amazing visionary god director Rian Johnson to finish the trilogy, because he did such an amazing job with Episode VIII. JJ sucks and can go home, because he made the worst Star Wars movie ever created.

SW fanbase will turn on Episode VIII the year after anyway, it's an inevitable circle.
Look at Rogue One now and after Xmas.
It'll be hot garbage.
jett
D-Member
(09-15-2017, 06:20 PM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lupercal

SW fanbase will turn on Episode VIII the year after anyway, it's an inevitable circle.
Look at Rogue One now and after Xmas.
It'll be hot garbage.

People "turned" on Rogue One pretty quickly (most because that movie is a horrible bore). Episode 7 still has a lot of staunch defenders, some that will even defend tooth and nail the rather obvious notion that it's highly referential to previous movies. Then there are others that take it as a personal insult the suggestion that Rey might be a little too good.
kevin1025
Banned
(09-15-2017, 06:56 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

People "turned" on Rogue One pretty quickly (most because that movie is a horrible bore). Episode 7 still has a lot of staunch defenders, some that will even defend tooth and nail the rather obvious notion that it's highly referential to previous movies. Then there are others that take it as a personal insult the suggestion that Rey might be a little too good.

I much prefer it being called highly referential than lazily called a remake.
Skiptastic
Member
(09-15-2017, 07:22 PM)
Skiptastic's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

People "turned" on Rogue One pretty quickly (most because that movie is a horrible bore). Episode 7 still has a lot of staunch defenders, some that will even defend tooth and nail the rather obvious notion that it's highly referential to previous movies. Then there are others that take it as a personal insult the suggestion that Rey might be a little too good.

I watched Rogue One a few nights back after only seeing it in the IMAX when it first came out. So I've been hearing how it's bad and everyone doesn't like it now or whatever.

I was both entertained and frustrated, because the first twenty minutes feel like you're jumping around from planet to planet too much. Then it gets to Jeddah City and I'm totally into it. Then it gets to that one planet, then a Vader interlude and Dantooine and I'm kinda meh. Then it gets to Scarif and I'm totally into it again.

I can see the way Rogue One could have been a classic SW film. I still really like it, but it's still so frustrating that it could have been great.

I still really like Episode VII, too.
jett
D-Member
(09-15-2017, 09:25 PM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skiptastic

I watched Rogue One a few nights back after only seeing it in the IMAX when it first came out. So I've been hearing how it's bad and everyone doesn't like it now or whatever.

I was both entertained and frustrated, because the first twenty minutes feel like you're jumping around from planet to planet too much. Then it gets to Jeddah City and I'm totally into it. Then it gets to that one planet, then a Vader interlude and Dantooine and I'm kinda meh. Then it gets to Scarif and I'm totally into it again.

I can see the way Rogue One could have been a classic SW film. I still really like it, but it's still so frustrating that it could have been great.

I still really like Episode VII, too.

I don't think any editing would save the wooden planks Rogue One has for characters.
Affeinvasion
Member
(09-15-2017, 09:41 PM)
Affeinvasion's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

I don't think any editing would save the wooden planks Rogue One has for characters.

It's also the fact that it's obvious at every point that this wasn't a story that needed to be told. There is no impetus for anything other than the movie having to end when the original Star Wars begins, but even that is clumsy. Why the hell is Princess Leia's ship in the hanger of some bigger ship in a major space battle? You're kinda losing the whole plausible deniability thing her title and position allow for...
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(09-16-2017, 06:22 PM)
DrForester's Avatar
I liked Rogue One and thought the story was enjoyable.

The cast was way too big, especially for them all being disposable. Cut everyone but Jyn, Cassian and K-2S0. Build them up more and it would have been a better film.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(09-17-2017, 01:57 AM)
I really recommend watching Don't Torture a Duckling, it's on youtube, 70s Italian crime thriller about a serial killer in a small Italian village.

But if you won't watch it, at least watch the ending's dummy falling off a cliff scene. RLM would love it, might be the best dummy falling scene ever, sadly I doubt anyone will ever get them to watch the movie. It's actually pretty good, so I suggest you guys don't spoil yourself watching it otherwise you'll know who the killer was.

edit: Or this movie, "Live like a cop, die like a man", ends with a boat being blown up. lol

EVOL 100%
Member
(09-17-2017, 10:44 AM)
EVOL 100%'s Avatar
I haven't watched Episode 7 because I'm not really a fan of Star Wars, but Rogue One was awful. It had some cool action, yeah, but I couldn't get invested in the story at all.

I guess you have to be a fan of Star Wars to enjoy it, but I'd argue that it's a bad movie if you need to be a fan of the franchise to enjoy it.
TAJ
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
(09-17-2017, 11:04 AM)
TAJ's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I really recommend watching Don't Torture a Duckling, it's on youtube, 70s Italian crime thriller about a serial killer in a small Italian village.

But if you won't watch it, at least watch the ending's dummy falling off a cliff scene. RLM would love it, might be the best dummy falling scene ever, sadly I doubt anyone will ever get them to watch the movie. It's actually pretty good, so I suggest you guys don't spoil yourself watching it otherwise you'll know who the killer was.

edit: Or this movie, "Live like a cop, die like a man", ends with a boat being blown up. lol

Eh...
I've seen four Fulci movies and I couldn't even enjoy any of them ironically.
UrbanRats
Member
(09-17-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by EVOL 100%

I haven't watched Episode 7 because I'm not really a fan of Star Wars, but Rogue One was awful. It had some cool action, yeah, but I couldn't get invested in the story at all.

I guess you have to be a fan of Star Wars to enjoy it, but I'd argue that it's a bad movie if you need to be a fan of the franchise to enjoy it.

Episode 1 is mostly awful.
Episode 2 is the lowest point of the series.
Episode 3 had some cool visuals here and there, but it's mostly bad.
Episode 4 is helped by its simplicity, but historical value aside, it's not really held up as a GREAT movie, more like a "very good" one.
Episode 5 is all around fantastic.
Episode 6 is 60% fantastic, 40% "wait, what?".
Episode 7 has some very solid elements, but it's comically derivative.
Rogue One has good visuals, but it's all in all a bad movie.

Star Wars doesn't really have an awesome track record.
But i love its universe, it's a cool and fun universe.
Blue Lou
Member
(09-17-2017, 08:47 PM)
Blue Lou's Avatar
Mr. Plinkett was spotted at Stamford Bridge today promoting Kingsmen 2...

It's Matthew Vaughn
Watch Da Birdie
I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
(09-18-2017, 12:19 AM)
Watch Da Birdie's Avatar
Yeah, Rogue One was odd...

I've realized I've never been a big Star Wars dude, so none of the cameos really did anything for me. I went into the film not expecting much since I didn't follow the pre-release hype, and I left pretty bored.

I guess the best part of the movie was the robot, but even he kind of was "meh" outside a few cute gags.
Gnome Scat
Member
(09-18-2017, 06:19 AM)
Gnome Scat's Avatar

Originally Posted by brotkasten

Hey, kids, it's "hyperbolical statement, based on anecdotal evidence" time! It's my favorite time of the day!

JJ directs Episode VII:
Gets praised almost everywhere, but people have turned on the movie and hate it now.

Rian Johnson directs Episode VIII:
It's not out yet, but people say it's the best Star Wars movie ever created. Rian Johnson is simply amazing and should have free reign over the franchise. He can do no wrong, that's how good Episode VIII is.

JJ is now set to direct Episode IX:
People want the amazing visionary god director Rian Johnson to finish the trilogy, because he did such an amazing job with Episode VIII. JJ sucks and can go home, because he made the worst Star Wars movie ever created.

I mean I can understand why people aren't doing flips over J.J. returning (I know I'm not), but all this appraisal of Rian Johnson for being 'creative' and 'experimental' is ridiculous. I hope he does a great job with VIII, but for all we know it could be just as average and safe as VII was.

Also, while we're talking about Rogue One, I really don't get all the love for that one. Sure, the prologue and the last 40 minutes were pretty good, but the rest was just plain bad.
Skiptastic
Member
(09-18-2017, 02:08 PM)
Skiptastic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gnome Scat

I mean I can understand why people aren't doing flips over J.J. returning (I know I'm not), but all this appraisal of Rian Johnson for being 'creative' and 'experimental' is ridiculous. I hope he does a great job with VIII, but for all we know it could be just as average and safe as VII was.

Also, while we're talking about Rogue One, I really don't get all the love for that one. Sure, the prologue and the last 40 minutes were pretty good, but the rest was just plain bad.

I thought the section in Jedha City was pretty cool.

- It was interesting to see Star Wars in an "occupied city" environment.
- I know everyone thinks Chirrut and Baze are toss ins to win over the Chinese market, but Donnie Yen doing some martial arts was pretty cool and I like Baze's awesome gatling gun style weapon. I totally bought in to Donnie Yen maybe not being a Force user but Force sensitive and was my "heart" for the movie.
- I like how Forrest Whitaker looks like a crazy man as Saw compared to how he looked in the prologue and has a bit of Immortan Joe in him with the breathing apparatus
- I wish they didn't have the stupid CGI monster thing "read the pilot's mind". Number one, it's unnecessary GCI. Number two, the pilot never seems to have any effect to his character because of it. Number three, it would have been perfectly understandable for Saw to have a modded interrogation droid like the one in Star Wars that tried to get information out of Princess Leia. Same era, made sense, less CGI, no "warped mind" effect.
- And yes, the cameo from the Dr. Evazan on Ponda Boba was unnecessary. I mean, how do they get off the planet before the city gets attacked? What's the damn point?

My biggest problem post interlude is all the planet hopping they do before they get to Jedha City. From the prologue planet, to Jyn's capture planet, to Dantooine to Jedha. Too many planets!

It would have been perfectly reasonable for Jyn to be captured/rescued on some remote part of Jedha by Cassian and K-2SO, bring her to a secret Rebel hideout in or around the city where they are in contact with the Rebel alliance, and blackmail her to get access to Saw.

It's not like she had to be on some other planet for Saw to keep his distance from her. He even said people would try to use her to get close to him. I mean, Luke and Obi Wan were on Tatooine and then make a trip to Mos Eisley, where apparently Luke had never been if Obi Wan has to explain to him the city upon arrival. It's possible for a planet to be big enough that you can have separation without needing to be off planet.

The scene on Eadu was a bit up and down. I liked that it showed Cassian torn between duty and trusting Jyn, it gives them the Imperial plane they needed to get to Scarif, and it shows Chirrut able to shoot at crap he shouldn't be able to see lol. But it's another planet to jump to, then on to Dantooine, then whatever lava planet Vader is on, then finally to Scarif, where it really picks up.

Again, I watched it once when it came out and liked it, then again a week ago and really liked it but recognized some annoying flaws, so I'm not some sort of Rogue One obsessive or anything. Just enjoyed it a good bit. I have lots of thoughts about how certain things could have been better (how cool would it have been if they only time you saw Vader was at the very end and nobody had foreshadowed him coming?), but I liked the characters, thought the bad guy was excellent, and overall enjoyed it as a lead in to Star Wars.
LakeEarth
Member
(09-18-2017, 03:46 PM)
LakeEarth's Avatar
All I need to know about Episode VII and Rogue One is that my wife liked Episode VII without much knowledge of the rest of the movies, but completely checked out on Rogue One.
Extra Sauce
Member
(09-18-2017, 06:10 PM)
Extra Sauce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I really recommend watching Don't Torture a Duckling, it's on youtube, 70s Italian crime thriller about a serial killer in a small Italian village.

But if you won't watch it, at least watch the ending's dummy falling off a cliff scene. RLM would love it, might be the best dummy falling scene ever, sadly I doubt anyone will ever get them to watch the movie. It's actually pretty good, so I suggest you guys don't spoil yourself watching it otherwise you'll know who the killer was.

Don't Torture a Duckling features an amazing kill scene with diegetic music that no doubt went on to inspire Quentin Tarantino.
Ether_Snake
安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
(09-19-2017, 03:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Extra Sauce

Don't Torture a Duckling features an amazing kill scene with diegetic music that no doubt went on to inspire Quentin Tarantino.

I think it was pretty common in 70s Italian movies of the kind in general.
Extra Sauce
Member
(09-19-2017, 05:03 PM)
Extra Sauce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ether_Snake

I think it was pretty common in 70s Italian movies of the kind in general.

I mean the movie came out in 1972 and I can't think of a more obvious/direct influence on the infamous Stuck in the Middle With You scene from Reservoir Dogs.
Schlorgan
Member
(09-20-2017, 04:56 PM)
Schlorgan's Avatar
Half in the Bag: mother!
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(09-20-2017, 05:04 PM)
firehawk12's Avatar
My guess, Jay loved it Mike hates it.
BassForever
Member
(09-20-2017, 05:06 PM)
BassForever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Schlorgan

Half in the Bag: mother!

DO YOU GET IT!

Thread Tools