• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

philm87

I might have bad news coming your way! According to computerbase, which is a German website for tech-geeks, Bethesda has ruled out that a Skyrim-VR bundle will come to the German market before christmas. But it could still happen that retailers will offer discounts when buying a VR headset + SkyrimVR together, but that is not up to Bethesda.

I assume that, if the German market is not receiving this bundle, no one in Europe will.

Source: https://www.computerbase.de/2017-11/psvr-skyrim-vr-bundle-hardware/

Arghhh! Pretty disappointing, but thanks very much for sharing. Sounded perfect because it included the new version of the PSVR as well. I imagine the production restrictions on PSVRs new iteration may be a reason it's not coming to Europe yet also. Will have to live with the older version and hope there's some good black friday deals in the UK.

FDC1

any news about the Stranger Things VR experience? It was supposed to be released today but I can't find it.

Edit: It doesn't appear anymore on the PS blog listing for this week, it likely have been delayed.

New Doom VFR Bundle

New PSVR model, camera, and Doom VFR. No Move controllers. Game can be played using them or Aim or DS4.

Odd that they wouldn't include the move controllers since those are in the skyrim bundle and they're both new releases( as far as being VR versions of course). Granted its also $50 less but its curious that they omitted the move controllers for this one. Is this because Doom has more controller choices than Skyrim or something like that?

philm87

Odd that they wouldn't include the move controllers since those are in the skyrim bundle and they're both new releases( as far as being VR versions of course). Granted its also $50 less but its curious that they omitted the move controllers for this one. Is this because Doom has more controller choices than Skyrim or something like that?

Can't use the moves in Doom I don't think? That's probably why I guess.

It's probably because DOOM has Aim support so some people might have no need for the Moves.

Can't use the moves in Doom I don't think? That's probably why I guess.

Not sure. I also see that the Skyrim is a full priced $60( compared to Doom at $30) while including the Move controllers. Skyrim bundle is the better value weighing out the costs of each item in the bundle.

It's probably because DOOM has Aim support so some people might have no need for the Moves.

Oh ok, thanks...that said as I wrote above the Skyrim bundle for $50 more seems like the better pound for pound deal.

Newk86

Not an official bundle but: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/342427

PSVR + PS4 V2 Camera + VR Worlds + Gran Turismo Sport & Skyrim VR for $383.20 AUD

Can't work out if this is a good deal or not. Doesn't state whether PSVR is V1 or V2, but I would assume V1. Also IMO Gran Turismo is only worth $30-$40 max as a VR title with what it offers.

Grinchy

Banned
Reckon setting a Phillips HUE bulb to green would help with tracking then? Would be perfect as I was looking to pick some up on Black Friday at the same time as the PSVR.

It's so hard to say, and gmoran has done way more testing with colored bulbs than I have. I still haven't even gone back to check out the green light more. It might just be best to have the dim lighting conditions coming from behind the camera with colored lights being somewhat unnecessary.

Yeah I bought a Philips LED colour changing spotlight (actually Little Mermaid one, much to the amusement of the Mrs, just cus it was cheap) back in June.

In my time with this it doesn't prevent externally tracked drifting issues; or positional parallax errors (which I think is related to rotational drift). It may help with jitter and I think on Reddit this turned out to be the main claim. And all makes sense when you think about the physics involved.

I tried testing Farpoint on the first challenge level (Descent?) because I could see a reasonable amount of jitter on the gun in that level. I tried green, blue yellow and orange and couldn't definitely say there was any improvement, perhaps orange was the best and was the colour I stuck with.

At least part of my problem was that the jitter of the Aim controller is the combined jitter of the HMD and the Aim controller which together uses two sets of differently coloured tracking lights.

Perhaps the best way to implement is to just concentrate on the HMD, perhaps testing with a Diorama style game to better illustrate jitter?

I really wish Sony would release a tracking utility solely for the purpose of helping to refine the tracking environment. Part of the reason we get bogged down in all this setup and test malarky is because its so difficult to objectively verify if one setup is better than another.

One thing I have definitely established for myself is that if you need to cover a mirror use blackout material, normal fabric is not enough. I had a mirror directly behind me that I would cover up with heavy fabric. Then a few months ago I realised I could reverse the mirror without too much hard work, and the difference in precision is substantial.

LOL at the thought of the Little Mermaid light. And yeah, I really wish we had some kind of tracking utility for testing. It's incredibly annoying to load up a game to test something, come to some small conclusion, then have to re-load it with new conditions to test them against the first ones.

I imagine Farpoint was quite the aggravating game to use for testing since it takes so long to load. I was using Dead Hungry and was already annoyed by waiting like 1.5 minutes in between each load. I really haven't tested properly yet, but the first time I tried my green floodlight, placed right behind the camera, the positional parallax errors got worse than before.

philm87

For those in the UK who haven't seen it yet, here are Sony's plans for their UK Black Friday sale. If you're PS+ you get a 2-day head start.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-playstation-black-friday-uk-deals-start-soon

Ordered my PSVR with Skryim, VR Worlds, Camera and moves today. £284!

Excited 😁

Hoping there's a some vr games I want in the black Friday sale such as Batman, Superhot, and Paranormal Activity.

Have a solid line-up to play though with Skyrim, Resident Evil, VR worlds, Rigs, Bound, and Rush of Blood.

lights

I've never tried any VR headset before but I'm thinking about PSVR. Asides from games, what's it like watching movies on it?

I've never tried any VR headset before but I'm thinking about PSVR. Asides from games, what's it like watching movies on it?

Watching 3D movies on it is pretty cool, better than having 3D glasses on and subtitles really pop. Normal bluray movies are ok feel like having your own 100" TV to watch on.

Grinchy

Banned
Is anyone else finding Skyrim's tracking to be extremely good? I didn't do anything special with my setup earlier. In fact, I had to play in pretty strong sunlight. No problems with the world moving to the side when I moved my head forward, no problems with the controllers tracking, ect. It was just so damn stable.

Toe-Knee

Is anyone else finding Skyrim's tracking to be extremely good? I didn't do anything special with my setup earlier. In fact, I had to play in pretty strong sunlight. No problems with the world moving to the side when I moved my head forward, no problems with the controllers tracking, ect. It was just so damn stable.

The tracking works really well. But saying that it's worked really well on everything I've tried.

One issue I have with skyrim is after playing for a while it seems to make me really short as If in crouching constantly and I can't seem to get it out of this state without restating the game.

wondermega

Yeah, I'm surprised they don't use more active tracking to combat drift.
I'm not. They disable the tracking, apparently, during video play back.. not sure why, maybe to maintain highest possible performance for the media stream?

A solid IMU setup is expensive so they probably went with lower end to keep costs down

Grinchy

Banned
In Skyrim, I keep finding myself wanting to inch forward a bit at a time in some spots. Since I'm pressing the Move button in quick succession, it ends up triggering the sprint mechanic, lunging me forward. I've already lunged off of a couple cliffs because of this lol

Newk86

The tracking works really well. But saying that it's worked really well on everything I've tried.

One issue I have with skyrim is after playing for a while it seems to make me really short as If in crouching constantly and I can't seem to get it out of this state without restating the game.

What control scheme are you using? You can hold the options button on the DS4, or whatever that tiny button is on the very right side of the Move controller (probably start) to recentre. I had my game shrink me when I left my headset on the floor during a short break, recentering fixed it.

Newk86

Just a quick impression on Skyrim VR; I tested it for a short while yesterday before going back to Horizon DLC which I want to complete first.

It's not really as perfect a PSVR showcase game as I was expecting. I was thinking, yeah, this is going to be the one to introduce VR to people with, but in the end it's kind of just Skyrim in VR.

I don't think I'm jaded, or lost the wow factor of VR at all yet. I mean I smashed a wolf in the head with a mace yesterday, and another few hits and it died next to me in a forest. I don't even use maces in games, but this experience alone was amazing to me. And I'm super excited to start a proper playthrough this weekend.

I don't know what it is though, maybe the fact that it's a six year old game. But I think there are better showcases for the system for your very first try; like maybe the Battlefront demo, or Batman, or just a few of the smaller, more streamlined titles. Not even a criticism really, just maybe something to consider for new users. It's still Skyrim in VR, and the most complete VR game on the system next to RE7.

Another thing; it took me a good 30 mins to get used to the Move controls, both tweaking and practicing. Fought and died to the same pack of wolves about eight times before everything clicked, but I'm glad I didn't drop the difficulty in the end. Started on Master which I found to be just right in feel once I got the hang of it, took down the three wolves like a veteran warrior.

There was an issue where my weapons kept getting brought out again after sheathing them which was annoying. I hope it's just a bug and not an issue with my Move controllers, I was certain I wasn't pushing any buttons by accident. Can't wait to play more.

Newk86

How do you tweak move settings?

There aren't enough options for my taste, I prefer full freedom to get things how I want them. Go to settings, VR options, and there you can adjust teleporting vs direct movement, delayed vs instant turn, amount of delay, turn speed, turn increment, realistic vs simulated shield hold etc. I have read that they are going to add smooth movement option in the next patch which is what I usually prefer, but I managed to get the movement working pretty well for my liking where I left it.

Grinchy

Banned
The weapon unsheathing thing is a bug that only happens when having a shield equipped and is getting patched, along with that smooth turning. I can't wait for the smooth turning. I can't stand the snap turns.

Toe-Knee

What control scheme are you using? You can hold the options button on the DS4, or whatever that tiny button is on the very right side of the Move controller (probably start) to recentre. I had my game shrink me when I left my headset on the floor during a short break, recentering fixed it.

I was using dual moves. I can't believe I didn't think about trying that! I'll give it a go later. Thanks.

Kumorin

Hold Move button on left stick and press or hold Jump (Triangle) on right. It’ll take you in and out of ducking “stealth mode” You’ll know you’re in stealth mode because there’s two dashes somewhere at the top of the screen. When enemies are nearby it’ll tell you if you’re hidden or in sight of them.

philm87

Got my psvr today and absolutely love it. Tried the Raw Data demo first and felt amazing having the two pistols in my hands. So much more immersive than the Gear VR. Think I would have bought it ages ago if I'd had a chance to try it.

Newk86

Got my psvr today and absolutely love it. Tried the Raw Data demo first and felt amazing having the two pistols in my hands. So much more immersive than the Gear VR. Think I would have bought it ages ago if I'd had a chance to try it.

If you like that try and check out Superhot then too. Or actually, maybe even hold off in case there are some Black Friday/Christmas deals in the coming weeks. I'm about to start my proper Skyrim playthrough. :)

Humdinger

I'm excited to order my Skyrim bundle tomorrow. I love Skyrim and can't wait to experience it in VR. I'm on my 3rd playthrough of the game right now, in preparation. Probably sunk 500 hrs into it. It was my GOTG last gen, and it's still addictive. I'm going to get lost, in a VR version of this.

philm87

If you like that try and check out Superhot then too. Or actually, maybe even hold off in case there are some Black Friday/Christmas deals in the coming weeks. I'm about to start my proper Skyrim playthrough. :)

Absolutely loving my psvr!

Played a bit of London Heist and that's just amazing.

Skyrim VR is the best thing ever! Have to sort out the turning, but apart from that it's incredible. Had an issue for a while where I didn't realise it slowed you down when you had your shield in front of you. Realised I'd accidentally unticked realistic shield hold which meant I pretty much had it in front of me all the time.

philm87

Yes, Superhot is right near the top of my list.

First thing you do as soon as you get going is to fiddle with the vr settings until you're happy I think.

philm87

The weapon unsheathing thing is a bug that only happens when having a shield equipped and is getting patched, along with that smooth turning. I can't wait for the smooth turning. I can't stand the snap turns.

Is the smooth turning thing something they're definitely going to patch? Everything else I'm happy with (apart from no voice activation of shouts yet 😊).

Grinchy

Banned
Is the smooth turning thing something they're definitely going to patch? Everything else I'm happy with (apart from no voice activation of shouts yet 😊).

I guess I can't say for certain. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the devs on reddit mention it was coming, but I can't really search for that atm.

Darko

I saw this while googling the controls..

“You can backpedal. While holding the left move button, instead of pointing it straight to move forward. point it behind you (over your shoulder) to move backwards.”

This was my major isssue with the move controls. Going to try it out now.

Humdinger

Is the smooth turning thing something they're definitely going to patch? Everything else I'm happy with (apart from no voice activation of shouts yet ��).

Yes, Bethesda said they're going to patch it in, presumably on the next patch.

Grinchy

Banned
Skyrim has really grown on me. That's not to say I wasn't enjoying it the whole time, but as I get more used to the visuals, the more I'm getting sucked in. Playing with a bow just feels so good.

This will kill your legs if you play standing for hours at a time.

philm87

Skyrim has really grown on me. That's not to say I wasn't enjoying it the whole time, but as I get more used to the visuals, the more I'm getting sucked in. Playing with a bow just feels so good.

This will kill your legs if you play standing for hours at a time.

Might try this standing. Good exercise even though you're not moving. Well, it'll burn not calories than sitting at least.

Tried Rigs for half an hour or so with the comfort settings of and only felt slightly weird, which soon went away. So guess that's a good sign that I shouldn't suffer from motion sickness. Love London Heist. Can't wait for Blood and Truth now.

Grinchy

Banned
Might try this standing. Good exercise even though you're not moving. Well, it'll burn not calories than sitting at least.

Tried Rigs for half an hour or so with the comfort settings of and only felt slightly weird, which soon went away. So guess that's a good sign that I shouldn't suffer from motion sickness. Love London Heist. Can't wait for Blood and Truth now.
I feel like using the bow is kinda compromised from a sitting position or else I'd sit more for Skyrim. It just gets harder to aim without a full open range of motion available because of arm rests and the other half of your body being in the way.

I might need to get one of those rubber mats for longer standing times. Standing in one place feels worse than moving to me.

Top Bottom