• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

looks quick

display name change? ( prob not)
ie1J6kRTgAFwi.png

name requests?
ibkTuCJfnJMS0C.png
The UI is so fast.
Digging the new blue color.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So far it's just the left to right list, everything together. They will have to have the option to create folders or sections though because it will get packed on there!
What is it with Sony and their OSes lacking foldering options on the first run?

It's not really a secret that developpers don't use actual PSN/Xbox Live...

And anyway you don't get signed code until your game is sent in submission and approved (by Sony/Microsoft) so that won't happen for a litle while. I REALLLLLYYYY doubt that any of the launch titles finished in advance lol.
I get all that, but somebody needs to be testing that signed code in some form works on the units they're beginning to manufacture now because waiting until only a few weeks before launch to do it for the very first time seems kinda crazy to me. But maybe you know better.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Is it just me, or do I remember hearing something from Sessler saying that the XMB is badly made compared to the 360's? I hope he looks at this or at least played with this...
Yeah, I really don't agree with him there. The XMB has always had the edge in usability and seeing where you want to go before you even know you want to go there. Except they started adding to many sections at one point. Actually, I think his beef is the settings menu. Which is stupid. Oh well, still like the guy.

Sessler has a huge microsoft bias which has become more evident as the last few months have rolled on.
If by bias you mean not jumping on the Sony bandwagon? Then yes. I can kinda appreciate his distance from both of the platforms. It's possible he sees too much negativity and tries to not succumb to it. I've never noticed.
BVIhj91CMAAX7Ru.jpg:large

ND has received a full retail version of the PS4, this one was posted by Mr. Christophe Balestra Co President of Naughty Dog ^_^
So much Blue. I wonder what specific Blue Sony calls it.

Has there been any info about whether we'll be able to change the color of the LED strip on the console itself? I'd love to see pictures of it with a red or green LED.
You and me both bro. I want it to change colors throughout the day. Bottoming out at maroon during the night. And yellow during the morning, green at midday, blue afternoon, and red at night again... Can someone make this happen? By force if necessary?

Are you basing this off of any real information or is this all your opinion?
I mean, it's not the most farfetch'd thing in the world. At least you're not forced to update it to play games. And the signed code thing. I mean, I guess they might start testing as release dates get closer. It's not like Sony doesn't have literally MILLIONS of these things to give as gifts to developers.
Does it matter which side you stand it on if you want to have the PS4 vertical? For aesthetic reasons I want it to be the other way up than that photo...
It looks like it'll stand perfectly fine without even the stand. And I don't think the orientation would matter, looking from how flat and balanced it is.

Joemoe

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure the system is always "recording", and pressing Share will give you access to your last fifteen minutes of gameplay.

Ya, I'm asking if you can "activate" the DVR so that there's no time limit and whether you could transfer those video files to your PC for editing. The 15 minutes of recording is automatic.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Ya, I'm asking if you can "activate" the DVR so that there's no time limit and whether you could transfer those video files to your PC for editing. The 15 minutes of recording is automatic.

I believe Sony might let you record as long as you want. Then again, all the proof I have is a random Kotaku dude. http://kotaku.com/its-actually-not-capped-at-15-minutes-the-15-minute-th-1066527396

I'm sure someone will come up here and debunk this for me.

And I'm pretty sure you can export from the HDD to the computer. Then again, someone can easily come back here and debunk this. NeoGAF, help me not make an idiot of myself.

Jburton

Banned
Ooh I see, content promotion doesn't count as ad when it's from Sony. Next you'll be telling me that James Bond's Sony Vaio fetish is part of the character!

SingStar.jpg

Less salt in the diet, it's bad for you.

Also in comparison to deodorant and snacks and other junk on xbox it's easy to see how people see it differently.

Speevy

Banned
I hope they completely eliminating the loading icons.

Is that possible, or is it all to do with the hard drive?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there two power off states? Like and off and a 'sleep'. Or do you just turn it off and it still keeps the last game you played in suspension?

Tsundere

Banned
Doubt it's an actualy retail kit... It's useless to have that 2 months before release.

Btw the test kits and using the same form factor as the retail.

They've been manufacturing them for like a month already. And developers need them to be able to see their games running on actual retail hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It looks like you get a 'what's new/recent activity screen' when you first switch on, but I don't see how you change away from that. On the Xbox you'd use the bumpers to flick to dedicated games/TV/music etc tabs, but here it looks like you might have to go up to the XMB and hen scroll along to find things?

It'd be nice if you could flick quickly between main content types with the shoulder buttons. And I'd like to see how games etc are organised - if that horizontal list on the watch dogs page is literally an activity history that won't be useful to find something you haven't played for a while

Coen

I hope they completely eliminating the loading icons.

Is that possible, or is it all to do with the hard drive?

I've always wondered about this as well. The 'don't turn off the console as long as -spinning circle- is shown'-messages at the start of every game are redundant.

It looks like you get a 'what's new/recent activity screen' when you first switch on, but I don't see how you change away from that. On the Xbox you'd use the bumpers to flick to dedicated games/TV/music etc tabs, but here it looks like you might have to go up to the XMB and hen scroll along to find things?

It'd be nice if you could flick quickly between main content types with the shoulder buttons. And I'd like to see how games etc are organised - if that horizontal list on the watch dogs page is literally an activity history that won't be useful to find something you haven't played for a while

Edit: Nevermind, completely misread your post.

Do you know if we can we add details to contacts? I would like to have that since after a while I'm not sure who is who on my friends list lol

I am not sure about that, but since you can now have Real Name, it helps massively in remembering who people are! :) No more ManRoar1985! :D (wonder if that name is taken? :) )

I am not sure in a game, but our leaderboards support both Real Name and PSN ID together if the player has chosen a real name. Works nicely.

Thy for all the clarification Kenny :)

Can you please tell us how much memory/CPU is reserved by OS, if you can, otherwise reread first sentence. :)

Yo, listen up here's a story
About a little guy
That lives in a blue world
And all day and all night
And everything he sees is just blue
Like him inside and outside

Blue his house
With a blue little window
And a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him
And himself and everybody around
Cause he ain't got nobody to listen to

I'm blue
Da ba dee da ba di x7

magawolaz

I am not sure about that, but since you can now have Real Name, it helps massively in remembering who people are! :) No more ManRoar1985! :D (wonder if that name is taken? :) )
Couple more questions for you :p

Does the PS4 remember how much time you put into each game (like Steam playtime)?
How much time does it take to exit a game?
Do you know anything about PS3 wheel support?
Does the PS4 record at 1080p? Does it record only gameplay? (for instance, can you pause the game and head to the Trophy list while recording?)
Can you save videos/screenshot locally and move it to a USB stick?

Thank you again :)

Couple of more questions for you :p

Does the PS4 remember how much time you put into each game (like Steam playtime)?
Does the PS4 record at 1080p? Does it record only gameplay? (for instance, can you pause the game and head to the Trophy list while recording?)

Thank you again :)

I haven't seen this, would be good though (like on 3DS, Steam like you said)

Instant, like Vita. Press PS button, you are out. Press again to enter back in.

Sorry, no idea.

Does the PS4 record at 1080p?
Yep.

Does it record only gameplay? (for instance, can you pause the game and head to the Trophy list while recording?)
That's a good question, I am not sure! I assume it's like recording on Sky TV where it ignores the UI if you bring it up.

You can on a dev kit, I assume you can on retail (but don't hold me to that!)

magawolaz

Sorry, I meant to completely exit a game - like on Vita when you peel the screen from the upper right to the lower left corner.
On Vita is instant, I believe PS4 takes longer, right? (Xbone takes like 10 seconds)

Thank you, good stuff :) Hope you don't get in trouble for answering so many questions lol

Sorry, I meant to completely exit a game - like on Vita when you peel the screen from the upper right to the lower left corner.
On Vita is instant, I believe PS4 takes longer, right? (Xbone takes like 10 seconds)

Thank you, good stuff :) Hope you don't get in trouble for answering so many questions lol

Ah I see. Maybe that depends on the size of the game that its dumping out of memory. Ours is small, so its really quick :D

Binabik15

Does the PS4 record at 1080p?
Yep.

You can on a dev kit, I assume you can on retail (but don't hold me to that!)

AntonioBanderas.gif

Times infinity if the last one is true.

I would like to be able to take screenshots from movies for wallpapers and stuff, but I guess you're working, not watching blu-rays, and don't know?

Apologies, I think video captures are actually 720p, it's image captures that are 1080p. This may change, dev kit environment etc. Please understand.

magawolaz

Apologies, I think video captures are actually 720p, it's image captures that are 1080p. This may change, dev kit environment etc. Please understand.
Ah, bummer.

Do you know who is making the firmware? Is it SCEJ, like Vita?
Can you please ask them about that playtime feature? If it's not going to be there on day1 it never will be :(

But I guess it's too late because mass production is already happening. I asked @yosp about a dozen times on twitter... now I'm a sad panda.

Tidux

I can confirm that all recording is 720p, 30 frames per second
when you take a picture, you get it in 1080P

Top Bottom