• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Spoiler Thread

Jeffrey

It's like how you can recover data from a formatted hard drive. Deleted stuff will still exist.

BTW what did a2 do at the end of C? Something that would harm herself but it seemed like both blackbox went offline?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's like how you can recover data from a formatted hard drive. Deleted stuff will still exist.

BTW what did a2 do at the end of C? Something that would harm herself but it seemed like both blackbox went offline?

she saves 9S and purges the virus from his body, but sacrificed herself apparently

A2 confirmed for best girl

It's a shame Emil and accord from drakengard never met up. They could be the travelling duo that always pop up in all of Yoko taros game.

I don't know about Accord.
They're creepy, they're basically interdimensional blackmarket armsdealers, and the good one was a rogue agent.

It kind of depends on whether she's giving weapons to the good guys to beat the bad guys, or she's encouraging suffering by handing out tools of violence. I mean, she does almost exclusively deal in weapons that brought their wielders to tragic ends.

The weapon merchant in Automata's doubts that he may just be getting his friends killed faster made me rethink my opinion of Accord.

Jiraiza

Is the SINoALICE mobile game going to factor into the DoD/NieR universe somehow? I just noticed the angelic script in the trailer.

Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/_Wi5KenZI9I

Easily my favorite moment in the game music wise. Such a fantastic " let's get outta here" track. Give me some of that martial arts movie vibe,combined with that become God chant.

So good.

Seriously these games would be like 6/10 if it had some crappy tales of ost. Music is Such a huge part of the game.

Hektor

Is the SINoALICE mobile game going to factor into the DoD/NieR universe somehow? I just noticed the angelic script in the trailer.

It might? It sure does resemble the original draft for NieR and the characters all seem properly messed up.

Yup, the few things we know about it a very close to what Nier originalyl was supposed to be, which is kinda funny cos i remember reading that Automata was basically the plot of Drakengard 2 before the project ended up in other people's hands

Hektor

What do you guys consider to be the best dynamic track? As in, what song just spiked up in hype (or somberness if you wish) for you at the perfect moment?

Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbWuWleRFOA&t=257s

Honestly, it's the subtle themepark track.
Theres a detail to it that blew me away when replaying.

The song only plays with lyrics if you walk down the main pathway, if you strife off into one of the alleys emi evan's vocals slowly fade out.

So much attention paid to everything it's insane

Has SINoALICE featured any of the characters that Nier's bosses were named after? If so, I wonder if they will reference the bosses in some way.

We only know about the little girls yet but those are mostly named after classic fairytales
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/1...gn-work-alice-snow-white-akazukin-ibara-hime/

Alice
Snow White
Little Red Hood
Sleeping Beauty
Pinochio
Kaguya

LotusHD

Banned
The Adam and Eve one was pretty hype.

Nice choice.

The song only plays with lyrics if you walk down the main pathway, if you strife off into one of the alleys emi evan's vocals slowly fade out.

I always get sad when it fades out; the best part of the OST is the vocals for me lol

Wretched Weaponry by far. Makes me feel like crap during fights when I hear it but it is SOOOO good.

Lmao I'm literally listening to it right now. If I have an overall favorite song amongst the entire soundtrack, it might be Wretched Weaponry. I'm always humming it at random moments, and frankly, throughout the game you hear it so often that you can't help but have it on your mind. At the very least, it's the song I think about the most lol

And I swear it's always linked to some sad shit happening

jonjonaug

On Route C it's the opposite too, the vocals stay while the music fades out.

Christhor

So is the ruined city the city where the Shadowlord's castle was? That's really the only way it makes sense to me. Before learning the twist I took the city being there as proof that the humans had survived after the events of the original game.

There's absolutely no way those trucks that are around the city have been like that for 9000+ years, they should have been straight up gone.

jonjonaug

I went through the factory basement yesterday on Route C as 9S and it's an experience I really gotta recommend if you haven't tried it yet. The way the design of the area changes due to being broken down and dark is pretty interesting.

Hektor

Stolen from twitter

On Route C it's the opposite too, the vocals stay while the music fades out.

Never noticed that. Crazy.

Sleeping Beauty was the name of the tree/computer in the Forest of Myth, but nothing about the SINoALICE character seems relevant to that.

I hope this releases in English, even though I loathe mobage.

Well we don't really know a lot about the characters and their names yet

Christhor

No. Trophies suck and are a futile endeavour. Every game should hold trophies in the same contempt.

At that point they might as well just not have any trophies in the actual game, but a button on the menu that just instantly unlocks all of them.

I really enjoyed getting the trophies in Nier and Drakengard 3, but when there's a cheat I just have to use it.

Samikaze

Did they ever blatantly explain why 2B and 9S wear blindfolds?

I know Yoko Taro likes to do this, (Papa Nier wore rags on his face obscuring his eye too), but was there any other meaning besides character aesthetics?

I could be making my own meanings here, but I'm guessing it has to do with Eyes being "the windows to the soul" and their eyes being obscured makes you wonder if they have a soul.

Could also visually stifle their emotions, since the eyes are so expressive.

I just bought like eight trophies I hadn't gotten. Am I the bad guy?

no need to feel bad if there is an option, it's part of the game. i unlocked some and watched what i missed on yt. this game has 0 skill based trophies anyway. would've been more interesting with a hard mode trophy (locked, not cheatable) or some trolling like D3 last boss trophy. people will sell/trade their games faster if there is nothing to achieve.

LotusHD

Banned
no need to feel bad if there is an option, it's part of the game. i unlocked some and watched what i missed on yt. this game has 0 skill based trophies anyway. would've been more interesting with a hard mode trophy (locked, not cheatable) or some trolling like D3 last boss trophy. people will sell/trade their games faster if there is nothing to achieve.

I'm really disappointed that there isn't a Very Hard trophy. Imagine how much more trollish the whole being able to buy trophies thing would be if there was a genuinely difficult trophy locked away, but was also simultaneously easy to purchase.

Grinded out all the weapons and upgrades, beat Emil, grinded out all the endings, bought any trophies I didn't feel like grinding for (I did most legit though, so I feel fine about it). It's time to redo E and delete.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

There is room to make a "Fuck You" DLC with stuff like that.

Did they ever blatantly explain why 2B and 9S wear blindfolds?

I know Yoko Taro likes to do this, (Papa Nier wore rags on his face obscuring his eye too), but was there any other meaning besides character aesthetics?

I could be making my own meanings here, but I'm guessing it has to do with Eyes being "the windows to the soul" and their eyes being obscured makes you wonder if they have a soul.

Could also visually stifle their emotions, since the eyes are so expressive.

In addition to all that, they are blind to the truth. The Operators know the truth, but they have to keep silent, which is why they wear those veils over their mouths.

All of that combined creates a dehumanizing effect, which is why it's so appropriate that 9S removes his blindfold when he turns into a much more human* character upon 2B's death.

*emotional, irrational, crazy, murderous

edit: also, the blindfolds are hi-tech visors if you didn't know the in-universe reason for wearing them.

I'm really disappointed that there isn't a Very Hard trophy. Imagine how much more trollish the whole being able to buy trophies thing would be if there was a genuinely difficult trophy locked away, but was also simultaneously easy to purchase.

you really aren't getting trolled if you can just spend 50k to unlock it. it's a freebie.

There is room to make a "Fuck You" DLC with stuff like that.

yes. maybe he can stay true to himself after all.

LotusHD

Banned
you really aren't getting trolled if you can just spend 50k to unlock it. it's a freebie.

I'm just referring to the people that are already up in arms about this being a thing to begin with. It would likely rile them up further if something like a Very Hard trophy was added lol

Setsu00

In addition to all that, they are blind to the truth. The Operators know the truth, but they have to keep silent, which is why they wear those veils over their mouths.

All of that combined creates a dehumanizing effect, which is why it's so appropriate that 9S removes his blindfold when he turns into a much more human* character upon 2B's death.

So pretty much a standard Yoko human character.

Samikaze

That's what I thought too, but I thought the Operators didn't know the truth and that 2B did, but still wore a blindfold. It felt inconsistent.

Then again 2B is designed to be deceptive in all regards to get her job done.

Grinded out all the weapons and upgrades, beat Emil, grinded out all the endings, bought any trophies I didn't feel like grinding for (I did most legit though, so I feel fine about it). It's time to redo E and delete.

Good to hear. Let someone know you walked the same path they did. I ended buying a lot of trophies because why not. Still planning to do everything in the game.

Gotchaye

I finished up Route E today. I haven't collected all of the relevant archives, especially the Project Gestalt stuff, but I'm unclear on something that I feel like the game expected me to pick up.

Is this the first Yorha? Some of the early details had me expecting that there was an eternal recurrence thing going on. Some things that stick out are the sheer time scales involved and an archive note about how other than with combat the machines will just do the same things over and over - something like if one founds a dictatorship and it fails they'll just try the same thing again. At first it also seems like A2 could be a survivor from a previous iteration. That they're going to start it over again also makes sense of why the machines have systems in place to wrap the whole thing up neatly - why bother blowing up the server on the moon once you've destroyed the Bunker and infected all the Yorha models? But by the end this looks a lot less likely since the twins were apparently around when there were still humans. A2 seems to have just been one of a limited run of early prototypes.

I'd never played a Yoko Taro game before. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing. For how much the game leans into some of the worst jrpg tropes, it's amazing how rarely those actually become annoying. Adam's third appearance in the white cube city and Eve's typical "life is meaningless and so I must kill everything" breakdown were about the only bits that I didn't think worked well, though 9S' Route C/D breakdown could probably have been toned down a bit.

So pretty much a standard Yoko human character.
Exactly.
That's what I thought too, but I thought the Operators didn't know the truth and that 2B did, but still wore a blindfold. It felt inconsistent.

Then again 2B is designed to be deceptive in all regards to get her job done.

The operators definitely know more than the infantry.

After the YoRHa Betrayers quest, 9S asks what the mission was really about since they didn't actually steal anything from the Resistance. 6O basically warns him not to stick his nose where it doesn't belong.

Plus, one of the operators makes a comment at one point that their memories are never reset, which implied to me that they're allowed to know more than the combat personnel.

And as you said, 2B is meant to blend in with the infantry.

LotusHD

Banned
I finished up Route E today. I haven't collected all of the relevant archives, especially the Project Gestalt stuff, but I'm unclear on something that I feel like the game expected me to pick up.

Is this the first Yorha? Some of the early details had me expecting that there was an eternal recurrence thing going on. Some things that stick out are the sheer time scales involved and an archive note about how other than with combat the machines will just do the same things over and over - something like if one founds a dictatorship and it fails they'll just try the same thing again. At first it also seems like A2 could be a survivor from a previous iteration. That they're going to start it over again also makes sense of why the machines have systems in place to wrap the whole thing up neatly - why bother blowing up the server on the moon once you've destroyed the Bunker and infected all the Yorha models? But by the end this looks a lot less likely since the twins were apparently around when there were still humans. A2 seems to have just been one of a limited run of early prototypes.

I'd never played a Yoko Taro game before. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the writing. For how much the game leans into some of the worst jrpg tropes, it's amazing how rarely those actually become annoying. Adam's third appearance in the white cube city and Eve's typical "life is meaningless and so I must kill everything" breakdown were about the only bits that I didn't think worked well, though 9S' Route C/D breakdown could probably have been toned down a bit.

This is the first YoRHa. As you said, A2 was just a prototype. From what I could tell, there is a loop of allowing the androids to get to a decisive point where they have the ability to win against the machines. Then they self-sabotage themselves, and do it all over again, because they know what winning would ultimately entail. Project YoRHa was their most recent method of repeating this loop, with the added benefit of making it basically impossible for the androids to ever find out humanity is extinct once the plan was completed.

I think that's right...

ramyeon

Project YorHa began proper not long before the game starts I believe. The game picks up in Year 11945 and A2's prototype squad had their sortie at Pearl Harbour (Documented in the stage play) in Year 11941 - the point of the mission for the Bunker was to gather enough data to create more advanced units worthy of Project YorHa. There very well could have been other Projects before this, we don't know. They're all destined to fail because the Androids need the war against the machines for a purpose to exist, the lie needs to exist to keep them going (Although we see that Androids may be evolving and finding other reasons to exist during the course of the game). The machines won't end the war either because they want the Androids around as evolutionary pressure to keep moving them forward and pushing them harder.

Baalzebup

One of the Operators in the Bunker command center makes a remark on how it is weird that they haven't received any new directives from the Council of Humanity when they detect the alien signal after that one Engels blows up in the city. I would guess that the only individuals who know the truth about humanity in the YoRHa organization are the Commander, the detachment running the moon operations and perhaps some of the E-types who are supposed to curb others from learning that.

Top Bottom