• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Dartastic

Don't know where my original kernel is or if I backed it up at all. It'd be super helpful if someone who actually correctly did that put it on a shared site or something. Someone is going to screw that up. Potentially even me. Heh. Hehehe. :/

So what happens if I have more than 31 games and I don’t resize my icons at the bottom?

So they just go off the sides of the screen and look sloppy?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't know where my original kernel is or if I backed it up at all. It'd be super helpful if someone who actually correctly did that put it on a shared site or something. Someone is going to screw that up. Potentially even me. Heh. Hehehe. :/

There are multiple versions of the kernel for every region. :/

Chucker

Look on documents/hakchi2 that’s where mine is, but I’m not positive it’s my stock kernel, it’s in the dump folder and I didn’t dump anything else soooo

Joqu

OmegaDL50 wanted Secret of Mana 2 box art in the style of the cover of the first game, so I whipped something up. I hope I got everything right, if not I'll update it as necessary.

mana2kvuqa.png

Also, it's pretty much impossible to find a full version of the artwork I used in a nice quality, which is a shame because it's great. Artist is the late Hirō Isono, just like with that iconic Secret of Mana art of course. It's from the manual.

So I stitched one together myself in photoshop. And man, I have never done anything like that before so I'm sure I screwed up in places. Still, here it is:

It's not perfect, but I should probably share this somewhere more visible sometime. Like, on a Tumblr or something. Because it's a bummer to me how hard it was to find this thing. That said I still had to cut off parts, like artist's signature. That felt bad. Hopefully SE will remake the game and make the piece more accessible in the future.

Best full scan of the manual I could find for reference:

I also used a scan of the CD cover, and a closeup I found of the characters. I don't know what the proper colours are, so I based things on the closeup since that one is of the nicest quality. I think I did a decent job all things considered. Took a bit longer than I had planned though!

MrMephistoX

🤔
Which one works fine. I’ll need to see into this.

I think the this works for me that doesn’t for me is a result of bad rom dumps...kinda frustrating because I’m pretty sure posting information on how to find to working ROMS is bannable. My advice is to keep checking different sources until you find one that works.

OmegaDL50

How do we go about installing RomHacks? I've seen a few that i like, but i'm not sure how to incorporate them...

Generally rom hacks are applied no differently than fan translations.

These usually consist of an IPS file which is applied to the Rom itself via an IPS patcher program.

Word of advice for those to unfamiliar with the process. You need to first patch the rom with the romhack or translation you want to use in question before you copy it over to your SNES Classic via Hakchi.

beanman25

��
Which one works fine. I'll need to see into this.

Panel De Pon! Spent about an hour on it earlier, worked flawlessly. Dumped a cart my bro got me for christmas from japan

EDIT.. Wrestlemania the Arcade game doesn't work right for me. They fight and everything, but like the background is totally screwed up forever during gameplay

Trill O'Reilly

Neo Member
Generally rom hacks are applied no differently than fan translations.

These usually consist of an IPS file which is applied to the Rom itself via an IPS patcher program.

Word of advice for those to unfamiliar with the process. You need to first patch the rom with the romhack or translation you want to use in question before you copy it over to your SNES Classic via Hakchi.

Thank you for this, I was completely lost on that.

OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50 wanted Secret of Mana 2 box art in the style of the cover of the first game, so I whipped something up. I hope I got everything right, if not I'll update it as necessary.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to find a full version of the artwork I used in a nice quality, which is a shame because it's great. Artist is the late Hirō Isono, just like with that iconic Secret of Mana art of course. It's from the manual.

So I stiched one together myself in photoshop. And man, I have never done anything like that before so I'm sure I screwed up in places. Still, here it is:

It's not perfect, but I should probably share this somewhere more visible sometime. Like, on a Tumblr or something. Because it's a bummer to me how hard it was to find this thing. That said I still had to cut off parts, like artist's signature. That felt bad. Hopefully SE will remake the game and make the piece more accessible in the future.

Best full scan of the manual I could find for reference:

I also used a scan of the CD cover, and a closeup I found of the characters. I think I did a decent job all things considered. Took a bit longer than I had planned though!

This....this is awesome.

Jawmuncher

I think the this works for me that doesn’t for me is a result of bad rom dumps...kinda frustrating because I’m pretty sure posting information on how to find to working ROMS is bannable. My advice is to keep checking different sources until you find one that works.

No! Don't you dare break my heart like this! :(

Panel De Pon! Spent about an hour on it earlier, worked flawlessly. Dumped a cart my bro got me for christmas from japan

EDIT.. Wrestlemania the Arcade game doesn't work right for me. They fight and everything, but like the background is totally screwed up forever during gameplay

Hmm. I’ll look into this.

For those interested in box art I found a pack of 3D Snes Box Art to use for this. I assume it's okay to link it since it's just boxart. (They make you register to download it unfortunately.)

https://emumovies.com/files/file/2042-super-nintendo-3d-box-pack/

Here's how it looks on my SNES Classic.

8b41591d265411267fc03aa2b8376514.png

[QUOTE="D";251273465]Does this contain EVERY SNES game?[/QUOTE]

I have started to make a few 3D boxarts based off this set. Just a few rom hacks at the moment but i'll be adding the missing games I have when i get time : https://imgur.com/a/6tuPw

LordRaptor

In case anyone needs / wants them some custom covers in the NTSC format
2kxVOOA.png
gHKDtnr.png

NTuedQj.png
wRjriqJ.png

(I'm putting the Parodius games in as Parodius 1, 2 and 3 for library tidiness reasons and Parodius 1 had a PAL release you can use)

Looks like Goof Troop doesn't work.
Also Panel Del Pon doesn't work but Tetris attack does.

Goof Troop works for me - verify you dumped it correctly with something like GoodSNES?

I added about 80ish games for a total of 100 with the originals. Everything seems to work fine but whenever I try to shut down I get a C8 error. I have to toggle the power again to get it to shut down normally. Anyone know whats up with this?

Only thing I can think of is I'm not using folders. Would that cause the C8s on shutdown?

-shadow-

Edit: Never mind, others say it works. Time for some Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack!

Whenever I want to just go back to the original version for whatever reason, I just flash the original kernel back onto the system correct?

Syriel

We have a thread on how to create your own dumps.

Nothing bannable about that.

Jawmuncher

In case anyone needs / wants them some custom covers in the NTSC format
2kxVOOA.png
gHKDtnr.png

NTuedQj.png
wRjriqJ.png

(I'm putting the Parodius games in as Parodius 1, 2 and 3 for library tidiness reasons and Parodius 1 had a PAL release you can use)

Goof Troop works for me - verify you dumped it correctly with something like GoodSNES?

Ahh. Didn’t think to do that. Thanks.

escapegoat

Neo Member
Anyone know if Sailor Moon: Another Story (English Patched) SNES ROM works with his hack? Can't wait to test this hack out when I get home!

Maxrunner

Can you guys tell me how to revert to factory kernel?
Also if you revert to kernel will it erase the original art of the factory installed games?

Chucker

hahahah i hope I didn't ruin everything hahhahahahah o.0

That was my original kernel, it went back to an off the shelf SNES Mini after I did it.

This is fantastic and just what I'm looking for as well.
Don't suppose you could throw together a Dragon Quest I+II or V box.

Robin64

Anyone know if Sailor Moon: Another Story (English Patched) SNES ROM works with his hack? Can't wait to test this hack out when I get home!

Sure does.

Can you guys tell me how to revert to factory kernel?
Also if you revert to kernel will it erase the original art of the factory installed games?

Use the Uninstall function in the Kernels menu. It'll make it as if you just got it.

Spacebar

Installed NBA Live 98. I forgot how rough the NBA used to be. They didn't call fouls and you can go out of bounds back then. lol

Maxrunner

Sure does.

Use the Uninstall function in the Kernels menu. It'll make it as if you just got it.

What does happen if i choose Flash Original Kernel?
And if i have altered the original games art does flashing the original kernel revert those too?

angelic

Banned
Two possibly dumb questions:

I've been playing it and have saves + restore points I'd like to keep, do I keep them?

The backup kernel is just the emulator and front end, not the build in roms? If so..where do they go.

Top Bottom