• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So there is a Nintendo Switch Joycon update separate from the system update

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You have to go into settings then controllers and update them that way.

img_20171018_214846aozq4.jpg

Still looking for specific joycon patch notes

CloroxLeech

Neo Member
I'm not touching this. I used some software to customize the color of my Switch w my laptop and this is totally gonna disable that.

wwm0nkey

you can connect the controller to your pc via bluetooth and mod it so the console thinks that your joycon is a different color. when doing this the light goes off

https://twitter.com/grizzlybara/status/915576353222561793

edit: lemme try to get a pic of the light going off, just a min

edit edit: https://twitter.com/grizzlybara/status/920836456217743361 there you go

Yup, modded mine to atomic purple (have to replace the left one because I messed something up....) but I was very happy to find out this is possible....hopefully this update doesn't mess with it.

ASaiyan

Banned
Large stealth firmware updates are cool :). I've never had any real problems with my Joy Cons, but hopefully this fixes some stuff for people who were still having issues.

BigBrotherT

Neo Member
Large stealth firmware updates are cool :). I've never had any real problems with my Joy Cons, but hopefully this fixes some stuff for people who were still having issues.

I only picked up my Switch last week, and I have trouble with my left joycon desyncing.
It's very easy to replicate, so if this update fixes it, it will be really obvious to me.

Fingers crossed

NeatoKuni

Yup, modded mine to atomic purple (have to replace the left one because I messed something up....) but I was very happy to find out this is possible....hopefully this update doesn't mess with it.

i'm not gonna update my joycons at all until someone else who used the same mod does lol, i don't wanna find out the hard way. i've got a flight next week, i'm gonna finally use my switch like they do in the commercials!

I sure it hope it fixes connection issues for those of us with launch systems...but I highly doubt that's possible. I still haven't sent my Switch back to Nintendo yet....gotta do it before March.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

bounchfx

I sure it hope it fixes connection issues for those of us with launch systems...but I highly doubt that's possible. I still haven't sent my Switch back to Nintendo yet....gotta do it before March.

same, my blue joycon definitely has connection problems. do we really need to send the entire switch in? or just the one remote

DarkWish

i'm not gonna update my joycons at all until someone else who used the same mod does lol, i don't wanna find out the hard way. i've got a flight next week, i'm gonna finally use my switch like they do in the commercials!
I changed the colors on the Switch for a pair of Joy-Cons I have. I updated the Joy-Cons from the Switch settings just now and the system still recognizes them just fine and it kept my custom color. So seems safe to me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
same, my blue joycon definitely has connection problems. do we really need to send the entire switch in? or just the one remote

Desync issues?

I had to send in the left joycon only (Canada)

Thoraxes

I had an issue with my left joycon where the joystick made a clicking sound. I only had to send in the joycon by itself, and they overnighted my replacement.

I was on the phone for maybe 8 minutes, got a free shipping label, and had my joycon back in 3 business days after I sent it out.

If I had to guess, if you're having connection issues, they may need the system so they can test the connectivity, but idk.

Epcott

Waiting for that vital update that stops my left joycon from needing to be re-synched every time I turn on the console 😏

wwm0nkey

What do you mean the console thinks its a different color?
My console thinks my controllers are now purple and it look a grand total of 1minute to do it. Very nice if you want to know which joycons are yours.... Though mine have a custom shell so that helps too

NeatoKuni

like even though i have the neon joycons, my console thinks that they're pastel pink.
see here: https://twitter.com/grizzlybara/status/920843103480795136

I changed the colors on the Switch for a pair of Joy-Cons I have. I updated the Joy-Cons from the Switch settings just now and the system still recognizes them just fine and it kept my custom color. So seems safe to me.

good to know! i'll still wait just because i'm not sure what it even does yet and im lazy!

Bronetta

My console thinks my controllers are now purple and it look a grand total of 1minute to do it. Very nice if you want to know which joycons are yours.... Though mine have a custom shell so that helps too

Ooo I see. Thats cool if you got lots of joycons or to avoid mixing up with friends I guess.

Just FYI after the update my joycons make a really annoying high pitched noise while rumbling specifically in Volgarr the Viking. I dunno if it happens in any other games but beware.

Nerrel

In case it's not clear, the system shows a colored strip on the sides of the screen when sliding a joycon into the system. The strip usually reflects the real color of the joycon being used, and this mod changes it to whatever color you want.

Top Bottom