• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Security Alert: Microsoft Win10 Internal Build and Source Code Leak.

SPDIF

Thank god I still got 7

You think things like the PnP code have changed substantially between Windows 7 and 10?

Is it possible Xbox shares any of this code?

Yes.

And every security expert on the planet will be reviewing this code to beat out hackers in finding exploits.

Just like MS does internally.

This isn't the freak out news that everyone seems to think it is IMO.

Agreed. Most of that 32TB of data is of no real consequence to MS.

Mr.Mike

On the one hand this totally shouldn't be a security issue since security by obscurity is trash anyway and decompilers exist. On the other hand maybe I don't actually have that much faith in MS.

Remember that there are consequences for looking at the source code though. If you see it you can't work on WINE for example.

low-G

On the one hand this totally shouldn't be a security issue since security by obscurity is trash anyway and decompilers exist. On the other hand maybe I don't actually have that much faith in MS.

Remember that there are consequences for looking at the source code though. If you see it you can't work on WINE for example.

With the way Windows works, there's bound to be an innate security through obscurity of the source code.

lmao at people who think rolling back to 7 or XP will make them more secure. Did you all have your heads in the sand during the WannaCrypt attacks?

low-G

According to sources in the know, this news article is fake. They have TBs of Windows builds from the insider program. No source code or anything like this.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Microsoft will patch this up in a few days. Windows 10 is 100% on a continuous deployment process.

low-G

The Register is digging their feet in saying it's real. Some 4channers are saying it's real (without seeing it themselves). (the few & rare) people who have direct access say it's fake...

SPDIF

What else are they going to say..... panic?

You realise what/who BA is, yes? If there was a genuine reason to panic, then yes, I would expect them to say that. Besides, as has already been discussed, even if this leak was 100% real, there'd be no need to panic.

Savitar

You realise what/who BA is, yes? If there was a genuine reason to panic, then yes, I would expect them to say that. Not that there would be a genuine reason to panic even if this leak was 100% real.

It can be Bill Gates and I'd still be a bit worried.

It's hilarious how W10 keeps getting shittier and shittier and now even more vulnerable that past ones. MS has done a terrible fucking job

If the source is internal it suggests not everyone in Microsoft is happy about direction they are going with OS.

But in a perverse way I'm glad they made Windows 10 crap. I wouldn't discover how nice OSX is now.

This isn't that big of an issue honestly. Some of you need to tone it down.

Any major issues found will be dealt with.

Your PC does not just install random drivers (a large chunk of this, it seems), they either come from Microsoft or from the vendor. Even if issues are found, distributing them is not going to be as easy.

low-G

This isn't that big of an issue honestly. Some of you need to tone it down.

Any major issues found will be dealt with.

Your PC does not just install random drivers (a large chunk of this, it seems), they either come from Microsoft or from the vendor. Even if issues are found, distributing them is not going to be as easy.

I'd bet you that there are services running that are net-side vulnerable that could remote execute anything, stuff MS hasn't caught if not intentionally implanted. It is a huge deal, period. We just had a worm that spread across the net and infected millions of Windows PCs.

That said, it seems like this leak is probably overblown. Doesn't look like a full source code even in rumor. This is stuff that would be available to research students or at least driver makers.

Time will tell if The Register is full of shit or not.

I'd bet you that there are services running that are net-side vulnerable that could remote execute anything, stuff MS hasn't caught if not intentionally implanted. It is a huge deal, period. We just had a worm that spread across the net and infected millions of Windows PCs.

That said, it seems like this leak is probably overblown. Doesn't look like a full source code even in rumor. This is stuff that would be available to research students or at least driver makers.

It's The Register, so.... I'd say yes. Yes, they are full of shit.

Cyanity

Banned
This is fucking huge. Now Windows 10 is just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I'm *sure* MS will handle this appropriately.
I just eyerolled to the moon

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The Shared Source Kit isn't that hard to get hold of officially, so I doubt a leak of that part would have much affect, "Shared Source" is Microsofts version of "Open Source", i.e. the source is available, fairly freely. (Subject to license etc. etc.)

SPDIF

Statement from a BA admin:

The Register article https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/2 ... s_10_leak/ has got BetaArchive a fair amount of attention this evening. They claim, and I quote “32TB of Windows 10 internal builds, core source code leak online”.

First of all let us clear up a few facts. The “Shared Source Kit” folder did exist on the FTP until this article came to light. We have removed it from our FTP and listings pending further review just in case we missed something in our initial release. We currently have no plans to restore it until a full review of its contents is carried out and it is deemed acceptable under our rules.

The folder itself was 1.2GB in size, contained 12 releases each being 100MB. This is far from the claimed “32TB” as stated in The Register’s article, and cannot possibly cover “core source code” as it would be simply too small, not to mention it is against our rules to store such data.

At this time all we can deduct is that The Register refers to the large Windows 10 release we had on March 24th which included a lot of Windows releases provided to us, sourced from various forum members, Windows Insider members, and Microsoft Connect members. All of these we deemed safe for release to BetaArchive as they are all beta releases and defunct builds superseded by newer ones, and they were covered under our rules.

If any of this should change we will remove these builds from the FTP and we will happily comply with any instructions to do so by Microsoft.

With regards to the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40366823 about two Britons that have been arrested following an alleged Microsoft hack, we don’t believe there is any connection with this alleged “Windows 10 core source code leak”.

Un-updated PCs.

Microsoft released an update to that issue months in advance. The people who got infected were those who ignored it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I amazed that there are people who still believe there aren't any viruses on Macs.
This thread is a great way to find the MS haters.

If you seriously think MS depends on security through obscurity, you don't know much about MS. They take security pretty seriously.

Linux being more secure because it's open source is a fallacy. I don't have it right now but there have been more vulnerabilities for Linux than windows in a study a year or two ago.

FZZ

Banned
Back to my Chromebook for most internet browsing things

gonna relegate my surface back to being a productivity laptop

MIMIC

Banned
In what may prove to be a massive cybersecurity hazard in the long run, a large amount of internal Microsoft data about Windows 10 has been leaked online.

The files, found on BetaArchive, contain 8TB of compressed data that comprise of 32TB of internal builds for Windows 10 and Windows Sever 2016 and even software blueprints. This is believed to contain the code for Shared Source Kit, which includes the source for Windows 10's hardware drivers alongside PnP code, USB and Wi-Fi stacks, storage drivers, and ARM-specific OneCore kernel code.

All of these are critical systems for the operating systems and with their code available in plain sight to malicious parties; the massive leak, which is believed to have been taken from Microsoft's own systems, could prove devastating for the security of the OS in the future.

I have no idea what I just read

Top Bottom