• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The Last Hope

Stevey

There's still plenty of good single player games releasing.
This, TEW 2, Original Sin 2 to name a few recent ones.

But those are all exclusives. And Microsoft are kinda pushing themselves away from this model already, it wouldn't be weird if Sony follows them in the following years.

Well, the exclusives from MS like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break bombed, while games like UC4, Bloodborne and Horizon sold really well. God of War and Spidey will sell, so I don't think Sony is going anywhere soon.

Fluloco

Well, the exclusives from MS like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break bombed, while games like UC4, Bloodborne and Horizon sold really well. God of War and Spidey will sell, so I don't think Sony is going anywhere soon.
Yeah, and I'm glad because these are the kind of games that I end up loving, not a great multiplayer experience, but there may be a time were they don't sell as much as Sony may hope. I really don't know if it was Polyphony or Sony who made the decision to create GT Sport the way it is (a text book GaaS), but I'm sure it's a response for the declining sales or the franchise.

Par Score

The success or failure of The New Colossus will do nothing to the inevitable march of Games As A Service and the steady withering of AAA Single Player.

Money talks.

AlexBasch

Loved the first one and I'm getting sick of GaaS games and online only stuff. I'm gonna devote myself to play only single player stuff from now on.

Also, destroying Nazis by shooting them in the face, what's not to like.

renzolama

Dunno, as someone who has been preferring single player experiences for a couple decades it feels like the panic over the death of the single player game has been ongoing for a long time now and has yet to materialize. How many of the top rated games of 2017 are single player experiences:

http://opencritic.com/browse?page=0&sort=score&platforms=[]&genres=[]&date=2017

30+ gamers with lots of expendable income represent a big chunk of the market for game sales, and a large percentage of that population are obviously still voting with their wallets on single player games. The fact that a few high profile games in some genres have done poorly doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, there are just as many massive multiplayer game flops over the same time period.

The success or failure of The New Colossus will do nothing to the inevitable march of Games As A Service and the steady withering of AAA Single Player.

Money talks.

This reminds me if everyone chasing the WoW money. Eventually pubs will realise that the market can't support too many of these games and "the inevitable march of Games As A Service" will slow down considerably.

I'm guessing Wolfenstein is the last remain of AAA single-player ONLY games, without any kind of online elements (call it lootboxes, leaderboards...). i really hope it does well (at least it has marketing, unline some other Bethesda games)

Is the new Metro game going to have lootboxes? 🤔

Dunno, as someone who has been preferring single player experiences for a couple decades it feels like the panic over the death of the single player game has been ongoing for a long time now and has yet to materialize. How many of the top rated games of 2017 are single player experiences:

http://opencritic.com/browse?page=0&sort=score&platforms=[]&genres=[]&date=2017

30+ gamers with lots of expendable income represent a big chunk of the market for game sales, and a large percentage of that population are obviously still voting with their wallets on single player games. The fact that a few high profile games in some genres have done poorly doesn't mean much in the grand scheme, there are just as many massive multiplayer game flops over the same time period.

Bethesda alone is saving SP FPS this gen :

Wolfenstein
Doom
Dishonored 2
Prey

Single player games can still do well, they just have to be exceptional and not average. That's a big ask for some developers.
Yep. Publishers want to make the types of games that can make money even if they’re bad. Making exceptional games costs too much money.

FoneBone

God of War, Yakuza, Biomutant, Darksiders, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man (maybe), Vampyr

Nintendo's games

And probably others I'm not remembering at the moment

See my first sentence. I don't think any of the third-party games you're listing have comparable budgets.

Will wait for reviews, enjoyed the first game but probably wouldn't have been happy to pay full price for it. Since I'm going to be playing Assassin's Creed there's no need for me to pick it up day 1 either. I want it to do well to prove SP games can still thrive but that's not enough for me to rush out and get it.

Marcel

Yep. Publishers want to make the types of games that can make money even if they’re bad. Making exceptional games costs too much money.

The big ask is not always money. In the case of Mass Effect Andromeda they had a lot of money and they still fucked it up. Sometimes your talent simply isn't there and you miss the mark.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Huh? Aren’t Mario and assassins creed single player games too? Why is wolfenstein suddenly the last hope.

There have been plenty of single player games that have sold well this year. Or are you talking just Bethesda?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
If you want more traditional no-frills single player games from Bethesda then I hope you bought Prey and Dishonored Death of the Outsider.

Both came out this year, are FANTASTIC games and can be bought for cheap.

The Stig

Will play this on PC. Will enjoy killing fake nazis.

This game is gonna do great. With the good will its predecessor garnered and the excellent marketing campaign, this game is gonna make bank.

Nasbin

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.

Just look at this quote from today. It has been a great year for single player games but I'm real worried what the landscape is going to look like a few years down the line.

Gin-Shiio

I am curious to see whether there will be an attempt to review bomb the game on Steam by some people feeling addressed and threatened by the game's message.

I'll be honest, looking throughout the history of shooters over the last decade or so, most shooters seem to be multiplayer focused or have single player and multiplayer; the ones that are totally single player seem rare as is.

Off the top of my head, shooters with notable or praised campaigns - Project Snowblind, Killzone 1, Doom 3, FEAR, Prey, Call of Juarez, The Darkness, Turok, Wolfenstein 2009, Far Cry 2, Brothers in Arms, Killzone 2, etc - all had multiplayer

STALKER and Crysis had multiplayer, even those weren't single player only shooters

Escape From Butcher Bay, Oddworld, Half-Life 2, BLACK, Bioshock, Mirror's Edge, Metro series were some of the rare shooters that were single player only

It seems like there's a notion that single player only shooters are a dying breed, where the reality seems like those kinds of shooters were always rare.

Day one. I usually don't preorder, especially not with Bethesda (what with their review embargo policy and all), but I can't pass this up and want to show support for a talented studio making SP games.

I mean look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmy4WW8TqL8

You can kill Klansmen and giant humanoid Nazi robots for fuck's sake!

(I didn't know whether the launch trailer was worth posting a new thread about, even though it seems no-one is talking about it over here)

I think after the TNO and DOOM single player shooters are going to be safe for a little while. At least from Bethesda anyway, which is okay because I really only care about MachineGames and id anyway

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm guessing Wolfenstein is the last remain of AAA single-player ONLY games, without any kind of online elements (call it lootboxes, leaderboards...). i really hope it does well (at least it has marketing, unline some other Bethesda games)

No there are more, and best yet, they will be out soon.

untitled-3jpg-485315_1280w.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

And I would not write off all games that have online elements as bad. Naughty Dog crafts incredible SP campaigns, but they also offer optional MP sections with some purchasable stuff. Nobody really expects that they will compromise SP campaign of TLOU2.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I am curious to see whether there will be an attempt to review bomb the game on Steam by some people feeling addressed and threatened by the game's message.

Most sane people don’t take too much stock into user reviews. It’s like last years cod getting YouTube dislikes yet people still buying the shit out of it.

All they need now is a big old blood style DLC where you play as a native American and you go around scalping Nazis in like Wyoming or something at some outpost.

Day one, it's gonna do well and its gonna stir the pot

All of them bore me after a few hours. Infinite Warfare, Doom, Wolfenstein, CoD:MWR. Take your pick.

I do like a lot of multiplayer FPS though, it's just the predictability of the enemies in singleplayer that bores me.
What about stuff like Dishonored, Deus Ex, Metro, etc.? Those game you listed are all pretty focused on aggressive combat

Plenty of single player games to look forward to in the future. So no, I wouldn't consider this game to be the last hope. Not even close.

Plenty of single player games to look forward to in the future. So no, I wouldn't consider this game to be the last hope. Not even close.

Tbh the title was a little salicuous, I said as much myself. I was just trying to be evocative. I should be a little more obvious though, Wolf II is a type of SP game we rarely get. Yeah there are RPGs and Open World games, first party titles from Nintendo and Sony, but straight up action games free of BS like this are getting rarer, and as evidenced by shuttered studios and uncreasingly unscrupolous market practices, third party companies are seeing them as less viable. My concern is that Wolf II, if it fails, will be another example of low sales that somehow convinced the EAs of the world we simply don't want them anymore.

It's not that SP games will up and die, it's that only SP games with the least risk will live on, and games become stagnant.

Fisty

The mainstream penetration of the game/marketing seems unusually strong for a Wolfenstein game, at least. I definitely didn't see much hype for the previous games, so I am expecting to see an increase over Wolf 1 at least, which would bode well

God of War, Yakuza, Biomutant, Darksiders, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man (maybe), Vampyr

Nintendo's games

And probably others I'm not remembering at the moment

Most of them I wouldn't call them AAA games. Some of them are the perfect example of the remnants of the AA space.

Outside of first party game, single-player games are on their way out of the AAA space.

Most of them I wouldn't call them AAA games. Some of them are the perfect example of the remnants of the AA space.

Outside of first party game, single-player games are on their way out of the AAA space.
AAA Single player only games, with no multiplayer or online features at all, have been relatively rare for the last 10+ years

Are we talking 100% completely single player games? Or are we talking games with a mainly single player focus?

AAA Single player only games, with no multiplayer or online features at all, have been relatively rare for the last 10+ years

Are we talking 100% completely single player games? Or are we talking games with a mainly single player focus?

I'd say single player focus. Games like Doom has multiplayer elements but they are totally secondary to their SP modes.

(Dark Souls is one of a kind, for example, since it's SP mode is highly intrinsic to the MP component)

120v

single player AAA just isn't going to be profitable as it was and more risk averse. you'll have a handful of titles a year fighting the good fight, some will exceed expectations, some will bomb. but they exist and that's all that matters

NoTime

Neo Member
Why Wolfenstein II specifically? As you say, Mario is releasing the same day and Xenoblade 2 is releasing a few weeks after. Didn't we just have the Uncharted spin-off be a success or, well, last year's darling: DOOM? I mean, sure, big picture looks dire but is this about multiplatform AAA SP specifically?

Because Mario and Xenoblade are not linear games, even uncharted is trying to branchout into hub areas and such. Also lost legacy is far from success, according to ******** it sold less than 1mill.
"Single player MMO PVE" games like Shadow of War, or Assassin's Creed are not going anywhere, but narrative linear experiences are pretty much done and Wolf II looks like the "last hope". If it doesn't sell well I'm not sure will see much of such games (if any), but if it is maybe we'll see some more.

Excuse the title if it seems a little sensationalized. I'm very excited for The New Colossus, but I can't help but feel incredibly anxious about it with the current industry atmosphere. With the push for GAAS, the explosion of loot boxes, the closing of Visceral Games and Bethesda's own backfiring marketing for many of their recent SP games, I can't help but feel Wolf II inherited very high expectations as a loot box free, linear single player game. If Wolf II doesn't sell enough, it accelerates the narrative that SP games are not feasible avenues for games any longer. Releasing on the same day as Mario and Assassin's Creed boggles my mind in an already crowded year, but I really want Wolfenstein II: NC to do well.

How is everyone else feeling about Wolfenstein II in this climate?

It is not about Single Player vs Multiplayer anymore (I guess is difficult to maintain that fad after Witcher 3, Zelda BOTW, Horizon, etc...). These days it is about Linear vs Open-world (apparently people already forgot Uncharted 4 is mostly played SP and did great just one year ago).

I think Wolfenstein II is going to do well (despite the fact that I am not buying it just yet -I have too many games in my backlog already, but I will buy later-) but I hope it will do GREAT so we can prove all those voices wrong.

HenryEen

Banned
Single player games can still do well, they just have to be exceptional and not average. That's a big ask for some developers.

Are there any new IP single player games recently that did well ? I know Horizon Zero Dawn is one.

I feel like unless you have recognizable brand, single player game needs to be exceptional to success.

Top Bottom