• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Manos: the Hands of Fate: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125743981

ECA5E6D21C581C2CBA5127CFEAA7B47D8A86E9F6
4AF5DFCCFABDD2168BFF1DA9015DB6C3D5F932CE
B32C4CC6FD66B6ABEF1A458DAD0FD46796796CC9

Zia

That is cool. So you get to review ten games and discuss with other judges, right?

We're assigned ten games, then we can play whatever we'd like, with the expectation we'll contribute to the discussion or judging in some way. It is pretty cool but thankfully I think people put in a lot more work this year. There was some really thoughtful discussion surrounding a large portion of the games I judged, and I think this year I did a good thirty or forty.

Wok

We're assigned ten games, then we can play whatever we'd like, with the expectation we'll contribute to the discussion or judging in some way. It is pretty cool but thankfully I think people put in a lot more work this year. There was some really thoughtful discussion surrounding a large portion of the games I judged, and I think this year I did a good thirty or forty.

Do you know if it is possible to apply for this task of judging games for the next IGF? I usually happen to play quite a lot of the games, but only if they are available on the creators' website. I would like to give my opinion on them and be part of the process of selection.

Well, sure, I am just a hobbyist right now, so I might not sound interesting for this task.

Ether One reminds me of Dishonored.

Some multiplayer games on GOG require a unique CD-key to be able to play online. Here's how GOG distribute those keys to legit users (taken from the support page for NWN):

So, from what I can infer as an outsider, maybe you can just give a list of Steam keys to GOG and let their support team handle the distribution of said keys?

I don't know what their policy on distributing Steam keys through GOG though, since it never happened before with other games.

Aha I see what you mean. Unfortunately I do not think GOG will do this. We have already talked to them and as a policy they do not give out Steam keys.

And they obviously can't do it only for us because that would open the floodgates for everyone.

We are still working out the details but we are probably going to give all GOG users free copies of the full soundtrack to try and make up for this. not confirmed!

Aha I see what you mean. Unfortunately I do not think GOG will do this. We have already talked to them and as a policy they do not give out Steam keys.

And they obviously can't do it only for us because that would open the floodgates for everyone.

We are still working out the details but we are probably going to give all GOG users free copies of the full soundtrack to try and make up for this. not confirmed!

As a GOG buyer, I would far prefer getting the soundtrack to getting a Steam Key for the game. I already bought it for the service, and if I lost it somehow and didn't back it up, I would just wait for a steam sale and snatch it up cheap. The soundtrack, on the other hand, is something I can use now.

Zia

Do you know if it is possible to apply for this task of judging games for the next IGF? I usually happen to play quite a lot of the games, but only if they are available on the creators' website. I would like to give my opinion on them and be part of the process of selection.

Well, sure, I am just a hobbyist right now, so I might not sound interesting for this task.

I don't think there's an application process. I believe you're just... invited. You obviously have your finger on the pulse so I think your best bet would be to start a Tumblr or something and build a little following and then pitch that to Brandon Boyer or Matthew Wegner or someone like that. But you never know. Definitely wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Here is a fun stat:

In two weeks the Xbox 360 Arcadecraft trial has been downloaded more times than people have visited the Greenlight page in the last 131 days.

Giant Bomb Quicklook.

It was awesome, but being on the dashboard helped as well. Visibility is everything.

The Greenlight numbers barely went up with all of the marketing exposure. Our PR stated it was on Greenlight and most of the media that reported on the game said it was on Greenlight as well. We saw about a 2000 view spike only.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not interested in buying a Pinball game and it feels wrong to lie, sorry bro.
This is why there needs to be another button or something, like "I wouldn't buy this myself because I don't like the games Stallion Free likes, but this looks like a game of high quality and I like the idea of it being on Steam so I wish to vote for it anyway".

I'm an honest person too and it bugs me to say yes I will buy stuff. =(

rybrad

This is why there needs to be another button or something, like "I wouldn't buy this myself because I don't like the games Stallion Free likes, but this looks like a game of high quality and I like the idea of it being on Steam so I wish to vote for it anyway".

I'm an honest person too and it bugs me to say yes I will buy stuff. =(
I give myself more leeway so to me it says Yes (when it is super cheap on a Steam sale or price mistake). It never asks if I would buy the game immediately upon Steam release!

I don't know that this has been posted here yet. Legend of Dungeon, it's a 1-4 player co-op Roguelike beat'em'up with proceduraly generated dungeons, permadeath, and a modern approach to pixel art.
It's really interesting the way that pixel art is being used.

I didn't knew about the Pinball Arcade, thank you for the heads up.

Infra
INFRA is what we like to call a gun free exploration game. Instead of large explosions and powerful guns, you will rely on your cunning to survive puzzles in an incredibly detailed world. As you travel through the infrastructure of a city you will find that your actions and thorough observations ultimately determine if others will survive. A society obsessed with upgradation has brought a disaster upon itself and it is your job to help restore it.
759E296983268EE9096A4F7BC3C1435AB40CC4DD
Delver's Drop
Delver's Drop is a 2D Action RPG with fluid physics-based movement, snappy combat, shifting dungeons, and a rogue's gallery of individually leveled character classes. It features procedurally generated levels and puzzle permutations for infinite replay, a non-linear narrative, customizable character growth, and immense secrets to discover.
EE349348467DB29F87F07F9FB96949BCC740917D

Wok

A new batch.

Fifth Set of Titles Greenlit Today
  1. Anodyne – The two-man development team behind Anodyne recently gave away the game on Pirate Bay, sparking a huge surge in votes and attention from the community and press.
  2. Distance – Featured in PCGamer’s ‘best pc games of 2013’ and successfully funded on Kickstarter, Distance is a unique survival racing game where you boost, jump, rotate, and even fly through a chaotic and twisted city.
  3. Evoland – This journey through the history of action/adventure gaming caught our attention early on with their dramatic gameplay video and proved to also be a community favorite, getting voted up the charts in just a month.
  4. Huntsman:The Orphanage – This unconventional survival-horror game has captured the interest of the community by showing a lot of detail, posting gameplay videos and responding frequently to fans.
  5. Kingdom Rush – This highly rated tower-defense mobile game comes to PC and Mac, exciting the gaming press and picking up supporters across the Greenlight community.
  6. Legends of Dawn – This open-world RPG has moved up the Greenlight charts quickly and steadily since being posted at the end of December. Along the way, they almost doubled their funding goal on Kickstarter.
  7. Organ Trail: Director's Cut – This retro zombie survival game brings you back to the days of gaming where your friends lived long enough to die of dysentery.
  8. Receiver – Detailed FPS game that puts you in control of solving puzzles and the mechanics of operating your weapons.
  9. Surgeon Simulator 2013 – This simulation game quickly climbed the charts with their free demo and hilariously tricky gameplay.
  10. War Thunder – This World War II MMO has seen huge success in its open beta, already logging a half-million players and tens of millions of hours played, translating to a huge community of voters on Greenlight as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Surgeon Simulator made it through? Awesome. The free online version is hilarious.

I've played the iOS version of Organ Trail. The concept is fun (Oregon Trail meets the zombie apocalypse, if it wasn't obvious) but it could use some fleshing out. I felt like I had seen everything after a couple hours.

FatBaby

I didn't even need to look at this list to be disappointed already. :/

I should start a digital distribution service just so I can have Pinball Arcade on PC.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't even need to look at this list to be disappointed already. :/

I should start a digital distribution service just so I can have Pinball Arcade on PC.
For some reason I thought it was already available on PC on Desura or something, but I didn't find anything from a quick search aside from people trying to get it on GoG (unsuccessfully?).

The main remaining Greenlight game I still want to get through is Shantae.

For some reason I thought it was already available on PC on Desura or something, but I didn't find anything from a quick search aside from people trying to get it on GoG (unsuccessfully?).
They have pretty much said they would not release it on PC at all, if it's not greenlighted. :(

Disappointing.

I think some Games really deserve it more than Surgeon Simulator (...) or Kingdom Rush. I liked Kingdom Rush on my iPad, but to me it is till a mobile Game or a Flash-Game.
Things like Depth Hunter or some other Games from the "official" Greenlight Bundle or the Groupees Greenlight Bundle deserve it more.

Nillansan

Disappointing.

I think some Games really deserve it more than Surgeon Simulator (...) or Kingdom Rush. I liked Kingdom Rush on my iPad, but to me it is till a mobile Game or a Flash-Game.
Things like Depth Hunter or some other Games from the "official" Greenlight Bundle or the Groupees Greenlight Bundle deserve it more.

They are adding a lot of new content to the PC version of Kingdom Rush. It won't be a bare bones port.

Overall it is a disappointing batch of greenlighted games, yes. I am personally only excited about Anodyne, Kingdom Rush and Receiver.

1-D_FTW

Really sucks that something like Assetto Corsa isn't immediately okay-ed. So much shit on Steam. Is it really that difficult for them to do 10 minutes worth of research and say, hey, this is something that enriches our store.

DTKT

Nice to see Warthunder. It's a fantastic arcade dog fighting game. And there is even a more realistic option for those who like that kind of stuff.

Plus they adding playable ground units and naval stuff at some point.

Exuro

Disappointing.

Thankfully it's a remake/enhanced version built from the ground up. This was one of my favorite games last year and am excited to see a remade non-flash PC version and on Steam at that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
On the one hand, Shantae: Risky's Revenge STILL isn't greenlit.

On the other hand, Distance was greenlit.

I'm conflicted on whether I should be SMH or not.

They are adding a lot of new content to the PC version of Kingdom Rush. It won't be a bare bones port.

I played this Game on my iPad and liked it, but I still think such a Game is not quite suitable for the PC. To me it is a Game you just play for a few minutes in the train, finish one level and then get off the train or whatever.

I had the same problems with Fieldrunners. I have it on my iPad too and I tried to play it on my PC, but somehow even though it is the same Game, somehow I did not enjoy it on my PC, while I enjoyed it on train.

It is just my opinion though.

But that such a Game like Surgeon Simulator got greenlighted. That is really sad. To me it played just like a flash-Game. Made me laugh for about 10 minutes, but thats it. At least I think there are other Games which deserves a Greenlight-Status more than such Games so it is kinda sad to see that such Games are greenlighted while Games like Shantae or also some of the Visual Novels still are not greenlighted.

Is it really that difficult for them to do 10 minutes worth of research and say, hey, this is something that enriches our store.

At least in my opinion something like Surgeon Simulator will not enrich the Steam-Store while something like Oil Blue, Shantae or even Depth Hunter would...

Nillansan

I played this Game on my iPad and liked it, but I still think such a Game is not quite suitable for the PC. To me it is a Game you just play for a few minutes in the train, finish one level and then get off the train or whatever.

I had the same problems with Fieldrunners. I have it on my iPad too and I tried to play it on my PC, but somehow even though it is the same Game, somehow I did not enjoy it on my PC, while I enjoyed it on train.

It is just my opinion though.

No, I see what you mean, I didn't double dip when Fieldrunners was released on Steam for the exact same reason. It is a game I can only somewhat enjoy in short bursts and my iPhone lends itself perfectly for such gaming sessions.

I was under the impression that Kingdom Rush offered deeper mechanics than something like Fieldrunners, but if that is not the case you might just have saved me a few Steam bucks. Is the Flash version indicative of the gameplay in the iPad version?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Disappointing.

Apparently not.

It's not all about game quality on GL. Some devs are just better than others at gathering and mobilizing a large group of voters. And good on them, because it's apparently a difficult thing to do. Community building is going to be a critical skill for PC indies going forward.

Spookie

Getting real tired of seeing the same old shit get greenlighted. Oh look zombies, oh look tower defence, oh look a horror game. Ugh.

I thought it was really interesting to see Anodyne have such an amazing success, mostly due to their pirate bay promotion. They really skyrocketed up the ranks. I wonder how many other devs are going to try that approach now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think a lot of problems would be solved if they greenlit 15 or 20 games a month instead of just 10.

Top Bottom