• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 8/31/2012 SPECIAL METAL GEAR MINI-CAST

bYNbs.jpg

You asked for it: A moment-to-moment recollection of the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes demo that just debuted in Tokyo, discussing everything we saw and know (hint: not much!) about the story, characters, graphics and gameplay. Hear just what it is that’s got us so damn excited.

Time – Topic Discussed:
4:15 – Metal Gear Event
56:35 – Answering Your Questions
1:09:42 – Closing Comments

Running time: 1:13:41

Direct Download

iTunes

RSS feed

8-4 Play Facebook

8-4 Play Twitter

Giant Bomb

Jb

How weird is that that the 8-4 guys know more about the game than the entire gaming press? Downloading right now.

it's not showing on the Canadian itunes, the last episode there is from August 24th, I'll wait to a little to see if the episode shows up, if not I'll have to go with a direct download

StuBurns

Banned
I had no idea the demo was so long and 'gameplay' filled. I imagined it was just a couple of minutes, and not directly as per the way the game would ultimately be played. It sounds like the gameplay demo for MGS4 from the 20th anniversary event. It's really strange to think they showed a decent chunk of the game before they've even officially announced it.

Gomu Gomu

Wasn't the episode this week supposed to be a special about the SNES or something like that? Anyway, I'll take a new 8-4 Play no matter what it's about :D.

LiK

A lil disappointed they didn't recap the events/presentations in detail before the demo. Glad John tried tho. FYI Mark and JJ, not everyone was following the event live so skipping everything beforehand was a mistake, imo.

ultron87

Oh damn! I wish I had seen this before I drove into work.

Wasn't the episode this week supposed to be a special about the SNES or something like that? Anyway, I'll take a new 8-4 Play no matter what it's about :D.

Since they're usually bi-weekly I think they are still going to do the already recorded SNES special next week.

Celegus

Great podcast as always, and the game sounds great. I much prefer the version of "Here's to you" on the MGS4 soundtrack than the one at the end of the cast, so hopefully that's the one in the game.

Sky Chief

Good explanations but I am very disappointed that none of them have played Peace Walker. They didn't even know if Snake's patch in the demo was for MSF. Come on guys, get with the times.

They say the child prisoner in the base is around 10, white with blonde hair. Obviously Young Liquid confirmed.

Liquid isn't a natural blonde, according to Shinkawa. His hair was bleached by the sun while he was serving in the Middle East. He continued to bleach it himself from then on.

But something like that can be easily retconned, I suppose.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
No it's not, I just listened to the podcast on that link. Double check your source before you post it. That's not the MGS Ground Zero podcast.

That is the main page for 8-4 on the Giant Bomb website. Though the page now shows the latest episode, it is not under direct control by 8-4 and it does have a small delay for being updated, so it is the right link to have considering it's the same standard URL given in every one of these new show topics.

Liquid isn't a natural blonde, according to Shinkawa. His hair was bleached by the sun while he was serving in the Middle East. He continued to bleach it himself from then on.

But something like that can be easily retconned, I suppose.
they originally said Solid was blond but I think they retconned that.
pliskin2001.jpg

They say the child prisoner in the base is around 10, white with blonde hair. Obviously Young Liquid confirmed.

Did no one play MGS1? Solid Snake has blond long hair. He dyes his hair and cuts it short to avoid being mistaken for Liquid.

He had the long blond hair in the first cutscenes when the Colonel is recruiting him.

The game sounds interesting I guess but I can't get excited for a new MGS game set in the same clusterfuck timeline they have going. And calling it Ground Zeroes of all things... zero to one to one hundred to the zero the zero the zero the zero

Did no one play MGS1? Solid Snake has blond long hair. He dyes his hair and cuts it short to avoid being mistaken for Liquid.

He had the long blond hair in the first cutscenes when the Colonel is recruiting him.

He has long hair in the mission briefing, which isn't in colour, and at the end he asks Naomi for a pair of scissors so he can cut his hair. He never asks if she happens to have any brunette hair dye on her.

He only cuts it in MGS1. He never asks for hair dye. The coloring of his hair in the MGS1 briefing scene is probably a mistake, or just lighting. Plus, in Metal Gear 1 & 2 his hair is brown.

they originally said Solid was blond but I think they retconned that.
pliskin2001.jpg

That's early Pliskin concept art. Snake was originally going to dye his blonde to further disguise himself in MGS2.

StuBurns

Banned

Those kinds of things can't really be taken as fact anymore though. The games are retconning huge things like the age of Big Boss at the time of the LET project, the hair colour of specific characters certainly is open to being changed at the drop of a hat to fit any new story beat required.

He has long hair in the mission briefing, which isn't in colour, and at the end he asks Naomi for a pair of scissors so he can cut his hair. He never asks if she happens to have any brunette hair dye on her.

He only cuts it in MGS1. He never asks for hair dye. The coloring of his hair in the MGS1 briefing scene is probably a mistake, or just lighting. Plus, in Metal Gear 1 & 2 his hair is brown.

That's early Pliskin concept art. Snake was originally going to dye his blonde to further disguise himself in MGS2.

You don't need to see him dye his hair right there and then. He isn't in a boutique. He is also the clone with the recessive genes. Blonde is recessive.

As Pliskin, he was suppose to have his blond hair also. What's more likely is...

Those kinds of things can't really be taken as fact anymore though. The games are retconning huge things like the age of Big Boss at the time of the LET project, the hair colour of specific characters certainly is open to being changed at the drop of a hat to fit any new story beat required.

As with many things, they retconned it -- or, simply kept him with his iconic brunette look throughout the rest of the series. It isn't worth over thinking, honestly.

But, it makes more sense for a young Solid Snake to meet Big Boss than a young Liquid.

It's the link to the Giant Bomb page for the 8-4 play podcast. It just hasn't updated yet.

That is the main page for 8-4 on the Giant Bomb website. Though the page now shows the latest episode, it is not under direct control by 8-4 and it does have a small delay for being updated, so it is the right link to have considering it's the same standard URL given in every one of these new show topics.

Yeah, my bad. Just did a long drive, listening to this. Sounds pretty awesome, will suck if we don't see it this weekend lol.

Top Bottom