• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother bear KILLS CUB and THEN ITSELF

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Oh my god that's horrible!

*eats his chicken with zero realization of the irony*

Also, since when does a fistula give you cancer?

Carcetti

Oh my god that's horrible!

*eats his chicken with zero realization of the irony*

Weak. Food consumption vs superstition... plus even in food production it's possible for a person to have a moral gradient. See foie gras or shark fin soup.

Also you clearly have no idea what cancer is.

marrec

Banned
Weak. Food consumption vs superstition... plus even in food production it's possible for a person to have a moral gradient. See foie gras or shark fin soup.

Hey, don't get me wrong, Traditional Chinese Medicine is hogwash of the highest order. But this isn't unlike how we treat some meat here in America for no other reason then maximizing profit.

So can you explain to me the mechanism by which a fistula causes cancer?

All the double standards in this thread. I prefer those who admit they don't give a damn about anything that is not called humans or pets. But I could also question their so called human love by looking at their brand new electronics and clothes they embrace.
Nevertheless despite how productive torturing and killing can be does not mean that suffering should be justified.
Do people even know how ineffective animal research can be? (not just cosmetics!). Animals react different to different things and the results cant always be applied to humans. There is a rise on alternatives to animal research, but nobody wants since it is more fun to profit from using animals.
Of course conducting animal testing is more effective than nothing. However the most effective testing would be on humans and not animals (obviously). Which is something that is not officially accepted even if in some cases it also happens (but mostly voluntarily opposed to animals).

We have clearly (but slowly) evolved to the point where we accept that humans should not be treated different on the basis of difference, but with animals there is a loophole. Don't be surprised when I say that humans are different too and that many animals are also capable of feeling the same amount of pain and suffering. It is pretty shallow for us to think that other living beings should be treated with less respect just because they are different than us. Which goes back to the old fashioned racism and sexism justification.
I personally believe that respect should be applied for everyone (as far as it is possible) and not just restricted to humans as if we are some sacred specie.
Of course animals can be good food, but with the technological advancement and opportunities that this world offers it almost impossible to justify killing and abusing them for food and entertainment.
As far as I know nobody on GAF is relying on hunting and gathering food to survive. IF they were it would be a good reason for survival. However the only closest thing I see here is people trying to emulate the romanticized hunters diet.

Poona

This sensationalist article doesn't mention any reliable source and the Wikipedia article is full of Citation Needed tags. Not very convincing.

Are you saying you don't think things like bear bile farming exist?

There are organisations out there that save bears from these places and try and get some shut down. One of which is Animals Asia. They have a bear bile farming page here http://www.animalsasia.org/index.php?UID=2J0NIOGTVCWA

There's also numerous videos of the practice out there, and you may even find some on the animals Asia website or some other place (most of which I've seen have been on TV)

marrec

Banned

Not that anyone doubts bear bile farming exists, just that the "reporting" in the article is probably not the most reliable. Hence my questioning of the line that supposed a link that followed directly from fistulas to cancer, and other peoples questioning of the anthropomorphism of a bear murder suicide.

Poor bears, and all that.

Sheeshor

Banned

There are organisations out there that save bears from these places and try and get some shut down. One of which is Animals Asia. They have a bear bile farming page here http://www.animalsasia.org/index.php?UID=2J0NIOGTVCWA

There's also numerous videos of the practice out there, and you may even find some on the animals Asia website or some other place (most of which I've seen have been on TV)

Hey, thanks for the Link! Gonna look into it.

Poona

Hey, thanks for the Link! Gonna look into it.

No worries! I did have a further look about the website, and there is a few videos there. Mostly from the rescues though. Forgot how I found out about them. Might have been through Ricky Gervais or Stephen Fry via their twitter accounts at some point, as they are supporters of Animal Asias efforts.

EDIT: Actually there is a 45 minute documentary on YouTube about bear bile farming which can be seen here www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-eOlbWXJCY

Dead Man

Eh so is it false that animals are tortured here as well as in china for superficial purposes or no? Because you said it was a false comparison.

I said the comparison between animal testing/food production and bile farming was not a good one, yes. And I explained why. As for totrure? I don't believe I have every denied that some animals get horrific treatment everywhere. Doesn't mean it's okay just becuase it happens somewhere else.

marrec

Banned
Humans are such a cancer.

I'd off myself if I knew it would make any difference at all.

Ugh, isn't it depressing to know that you make so little impact on this world that the act of ending your own life would not cause a single course or event to change in times inexorable march?

Oh, that probably didn't help with the whole kill yourself stuff. Sorry, buck up mate, and all that.

zoukka

I said the comparison between animal testing/food production and bile farming was not a good one, yes. And I explained why. As for totrure? I don't believe I have every denied that some animals get horrific treatment everywhere. Doesn't mean it's okay just becuase it happens somewhere else.

Yep it's no ok, but I was pointing towards a similar problem, that we can actually affect, instead of doing nothing and "wishing death" to chinese people.

waypoetic

Banned
oh for god's sake. this planet.

image.php

:')

marrec

Banned
Yep it's no ok, but I was pointing towards a similar problem, that we can actually affect, instead of doing nothing and "wishing death" to chinese people.

Oh come on zoukka, it's not like anyone is going to take it that far.

Fuck you China and all your ancient Chinese traditional bullshit. Just die

Oh dear.

Bear mom did murder suicide in order to spare her and her cub from reading the melodramatic GAFers.

Hey, IISANDERII, how do you feel about ground up deer antlers being used as a supplement? I suppose since we didn't get a "report" of some Deer murder suicide you probably don't wish death on all America because of it.

IISANDERII

Hey, IISANDERII, how do you feel about ground up deer antlers being used as a supplement? I suppose since we didn't get a "report" of some Deer murder suicide you probably don't wish death on all America because of it.
Bear torture and exploitation defense force!

Death on all of China I suppose would be more efficient, but no, I was wishing death on "ancient Chinese traditional bullshit"

marrec

Banned
Bear torture and exploitation defense force!

Just call me the melodramatic overreaction questioning force. Hurting things sucks and people who do that are sucky.

Death on all of China I suppose would be more efficient, but no, I was wishing death on "ancient Chinese traditional bullshit"

Perhaps next time you should not include all of China in your declarations of fuck. There's plenty of traditional bullshit in your home country you can probably be fucking right now if you tried. Please don't misread me, I'm not a fan poking holes in bears and lapping up their delicious bear juice, but I think we should keep a few things in perspective before we go around fucking all of China.

tkscz

The article is a little over a year old. Still that's fucked up. Hoped they stopped doing that by now.

Perhaps next time you should not include all of China in your declarations of fuck. There's plenty of traditional bullshit in your home country you can probably be fucking right now if you tried. Please don't misread me, I'm not a fan poking holes in bears and lapping up their delicious bear juice, but I think we should keep a few things in perspective before we go around fucking all of China.

What like airborne? or, other ground up herbs in water? You mentioned deer antlers earlier...i'm not sure, but don't deer shed their antlers? (I know nothing about deer, other than they eat my garden every year).

marrec

Banned
What like airborne? or, other ground up herbs in water? You mentioned deer antlers earlier...i'm not sure, but don't deer shed their antlers? (I know nothing about deer, other than they eat my garden every year).

I'm thinking bigger, like Chiropractic. Lets all get behind a general fucking of Chiropractic. The Deer Antler thing is new, they grind it up and put it in supplements because they think it helps regenerate tissue. Seriously. Companies claim they only collect deer antlers from naturally shed [by] deer, but as with most shady bullshit flingers, they are probably not being so humane about it.

what naturally shreds a deer?

Is it bears?

Uh, deer trees.

Duh.

I'm thinking bigger, like Chiropractic. Lets all get behind a general fucking of Chiropractic. The Deer Antler thing is new, they grind it up and put it in supplements because they think it helps regenerate tissue. Seriously. Companies claim they only collect deer antlers from naturally shred deer, but as with most shady bullshit flingers, they are probably not being so humane about it.

what naturally shreds a deer?

Is it bears?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I think I will need this to post in every China and animal related thread:

To establish animal rights, there need to be human rights first.

In this situation, the mother bear was probably the only humane creature in that farm/ prison. Ironic that I am using the word humane to describe an animal, but there it is.

Disgusting... I'm glad they aren't suffering anymore. Too bad they had to endure that.

Wait, how does the mother know to kill the child to end it's suffering and then off herself?

Seems to display a rather impressive set of cognitive functioning for a bear...

You underestimate animals.

marrec

Banned
Holy shit...I didn't know animals were capable of suicide.

Many times what we recognize as very human actions in other Animals have more ordinary and less romantic explanations. This is very likely the case here. Bears are not known to 'commit suicide' though they are known to eat their young in times of extreme famine.

So maybe she was a bit hungry and just got pissed that her kid was all tied up and she couldn't eat him.

Moofers

This kind of shit isn't exclusive to China. Watch a McDonalds/KFC doc sometime and you'll see that horrible treatment of animals is a worldwide problem that happens even in our mighty and "civilized" countries.

Alucrid

Banned
This kind of shit isn't exclusive to China. Watch a McDonalds/KFC doc sometime and you'll see that horrible treatment of animals is a worldwide problem that happens even in our mighty and "civilized" countries.
I think keeping a bear in a cage locked up and restrained while you milk its gallbladder through a hole in its body for something that serves no practical purpose is near the top of the list.

params7

Banned

Meat processing, as long as the death is instant is a necessary evil. Humans can make up for it by providing them healthy, wide and caring growing environments before they are processed.

But I guess the same context can be applied to the bears and the bile really. Its not like the Chinese like to torture them, but the demand is there in their medicines. Though they should be pushed to find alternative materials or at least try to make it less painless for the bears. Give them anesthesia or something at least before draining them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom