• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I feel an injustice has been made to the Justice League

Pasedo

I was planning to give the movie a miss due to negative reviews but seeing as I scored a free movie ticket from work I decided I had nothing to lose but a couple of hours of my life and watched it last night. I must say I really enjoyed the movie. It was exactly how I expected it to be. Alot of entertainment and fun. I think critics such as on Rotten Tomatoes need to rethink how they review movies of different genres because I feel their reviews are extremely harmful to the industry and to comic fans who may end up missing what I consider a good super hero movie. Yes it's not a theatrical masterpiece with strong character building and complicated story telling but it's not meant to be. It's comic book lore of heroes with super human abilities doing amazing things and to bring the viewer into their shoes to allow them to fantasise being these super powered heroes. To me it does that and it was alot of fun. For those who like me wanted to skip it and perhaps wait until it's out on Blu-ray do yourself a favour, don't listen to the critics and watch it on the big screen. I demand justice for the Justice League.

Churrasco

Neo Member
The movie wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. It was like a worse version of the Avengers. The reviews are really on point. It's extremely mediocre.

Don't waste your money and wait for this to come out on DVD and pick it up on Redbox or something.

Bleepey

It was ok. I'd say it was entertaining.The problem is studio meddling and bad luck. Studio executives heard people's criticisms from BVS and tried to remedy it to the detriment of the film.
BVS was too long?Cut the movie down to two hours?
BVS's plot was too complex, fine make it some bad guy wants to destroy the world cos reasons plot it worked for Guardians 1.
BVS was too dark, add in levity.
The lip complaint is a bit overrated but whatever, if they have more time, it would be seamless, I recall when the trailer with Clark in the field was released someone on here who worked on the film mentioned that he had a mustache in that scene and no one mentioned it because they had time to make that scene look spick and span

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You described a mediocre movie, which got mediocre reviews, and underperformed financially. I don't see the injustice...that's the game, homie.

Shouta

It's a pretty average movie. It could have been more interesting either by not fucking up the movies that came before it or by really being strong on its own. It doesn't do either.

Sort of a shame because I can see some of the character beats they were attempting and how they could have been something if they had some history to propel it. The only one that kinda works is Wonder Woman's but even then it was kinda meh.

Dunki

I was planning to give the movie a miss due to negative reviews but seeing as I scored a free movie ticket from work I decided I had nothing to lose but a couple of hours of my life and watched it last night. I must say I really enjoyed the movie. It was exactly how I expected it to be. Alot of entertainment and fun. I think critics such as on Rotten Tomatoes need to rethink how they review movies of different genres because I feel their reviews are extremely harmful to the industry and to comic fans who may end up missing what I consider a good super hero movie. Yes it's not a theatrical masterpiece with strong character building and complicated story telling but it's not meant to be. It's comic book lore of heroes with super human abilities doing amazing things and to bring the viewer into their shoes to allow them to fantasise being these super powered heroes. To me it does that and it was alot of fun. For those who like me wanted to skip it and perhaps wait until it's out on Blu-ray do yourself a favour, don't listen to the critics and watch it on the big screen. I demand justice for the Justice League.

NEVER trust rotten critics these days. Most of them follow some agenda only rewardings diversity, no male lead or feministic themes. The best way to actually inform about movies is to search for a good reviewer on youtubewhich has the same taste as you or seems to be fair.

I for example like Jeremy Jahns
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v3-2K1N84V67IF-WTRG-Q

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gotta start somewhere, Justice League 2 will be able to clean up this movies mistakes (slog recruiting period, actor chemistry, etc.)

t-storm

The only injustice being committed here is you telling others to go see the movie in theatres to support it when you didn’t even pay to see it. If you really felt that strongly then put your money where your mouth is, go back to the theatres and PAY to see it.

Laserdisk

I thought it was seriously good fun, it had huge issues but I left with a smile.
See/play something before making your mind up should be the motto for 2018 on the internetz

Nah, the movie was bad.

Cross posting my review. Wow, what a mess.
Unearned character motivation
Why is Supes so important to bats when they hated each other for all but 10 minutes of the dude's life?
O hai wanna fight? Oh yea ok.
Let's just leave this world-ending doom box laying on the ground

MESSY CGI
There were maybe two scenes where Supes' mouth wasn't noticeably fucked, and he looked like a video game in every fight scene.
I'm sick of fake ass CGI hellscapes.
Steppenwolf never looked good or even close to decent.
Cyborg was surprisingly alright, though.

Terrible pacing and editing.
I felt the exposition dump like a hammer, and scenes didn't flow smoothly.

The final act was, predictably, a complete cluster fuck. The humor obviously injected by a Whedon was much needed and was almost the only thing keeping me from being upset I purchased a ticket. The theater gods smiled on me, though, because the projector went out for 5 minutes and everyone in the theater got a free ticket for another movie (which I used this week on The Disaster Artist, great film).

The Flash was the best part. Bats and cyborg were mostly bland, Aquaman didn't have much time to shine, and WW was WW. Hopefully each of these characters get a real chance to do their own thing in follow-up films, because as bad as the movies have been so far (outside of WW) the characters were fine.

The action was crap. It entirely lacked a sense of reality because of terrible CG enemies and locations. There were no interesting combinations of their powers, and it all felt by-the-numbers.

Final verdict: worth watching for free if you're a fan of the characters or a fan of watching bad cinema. 4.5/10, at least I got to eat popcorn.

At the end, maybe 3 people clapped for 2 seconds before stopping in what I assume was embarrassment.

NEVER trust rotten critics these days. Most of them follow some agenda only rewardings diversity, no male lead or feministic themes. The best way to actually inform about movies is to search for a good reviewer on youtubewhich has the same taste as you or seems to be fair.

This is crap and you know it. It's the new spin for salty DC fanboys to explain the crap reception the films have gotten outside of WW. If there was an agenda towards diversity, Lady Bird (a movie about a white girl growing up in a white town with white people) would have bad reviews. In reality, DC has just made terrible decisions and damaged their brand by giving the reins to their EU to a clown who hasn't made a decent movie in a decade.

Occam's razor. If a movie gets bad reviews, it's most likely because it's a bad movie. In JL's case, word of mouth has obviously been terrible or it wouldn't be bombing as hard as it is. Unless you think the conspiracy extends to the general viewing public, your theory is bunk.

Nester99

CAn we edit out the word “injustice” in the title? It’s not fair to the injustice comics to be associated with this film.

Dunki

This is crap and you know it. It's the new spin for salty DC fanboys to explain the crap reception the films have gotten outside of WW. If there was an agenda towards diversity, Lady Bird (a movie about a white girl growing up in a white town with white people) would have bad reviews. In reality, DC has just made terrible decisions and damaged their brand by giving the reins to their EU to a clown who hasn't made a decent movie in a decade.

Occam's razor. If a movie gets bad reviews, it's most likely because it's a bad movie. In JL's case, word of mouth has obviously been terrible or it wouldn't be bombing as hard as it is. Unless you think the conspiracy extends to the general viewing public, your theory is bunk.
No it is not. Its stupid. Example Ghostbusters critics still went with a 75 because women. Wonder Woman was also a good movie but it got way too much praise not for the movie but for the cast. In my honest opinion Spiderman was the much better Superhero movie

But there are more and more of these reviews. I personally think youtube reviewers are the much better critics regarding movies They actually still see the movie not the crap around it.

Kid Ying

There's certainly an agenda against Snyder on rotten. And some directors also. I dont think it's related with diversity or something like that.

I dont think this movie deserved better. I think it on the same level as most Marvel movies. Average with nothing of note anywhere... It's Marvel movies that deserves less. Will never understand how those movies gets so many money.

LordRaptor

NEVER trust rotten critics these days. Most of them follow some agenda only rewardings diversity, no male lead or feministic themes.

lmfao, no.
People liked Wonder Woman because it was a decent superhero movie - good even.
People didn't like Justice League because its a mess. Because it clearly is a mess.

Jezan

Well you were going to pass because of critics and only went because you got a free ticket. You should watch movies you think you will like instead of listening to critics, You will enjoy more stuff like that.

I thought it was a fun movie. I could be a weirdo though. I think any Marvel movie that doesn't have "Winter" or "Civil" in the title caps out at decent enough. Only thing I didn't like was the Wonder Woman fan service. It was like an anime at times.

Outside of that though, I don't see what makes Justice League a bad movie but like Avengers 2, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Captain America 1 are good movies.

It was mediocre. Honestly unless they do something about superman their universe movies will be always bad.
What's the point of introducing super villain that can only be defeated through cooperation of whole team if you then bring superman who bitch slaps strongest enemy.

On the other hand if you bring villain who is dangerous to Superman then whole team of other heroes is pointless.

As long as this gap in power exist there won't be good DC universe movie. Avengers work because they are mostly on similar level and none of them are omnipotent.

Ubername

Banned
I think critics such as on Rotten Tomatoes need to rethink how they review movies of different genres because I feel their reviews are extremely harmful to the industry and to comic fans who may end up missing what I consider a good super hero movie.

I don't know, I hate this stratification that happens with reviews sites like RT.
For example, Juno is an OK movie but it gets a 90 because everyone likes it, but it isn't a 90, it's not a masterpiece. Reviews shouldn't aggregate what the popular opinion is, they should express the opinion of the reviewer and if the guy who reviewed JL thought it was shit then let it be known.

I thought it was a fun movie. I could be a weirdo though. I think any Marvel movie that doesn't have "Winter" or "Civil" in the title caps out at decent enough. Only thing I didn't like was the Wonder Woman fan service. It was like an anime at times.

Outside of that though, I don't see what makes Justice League a bad movie but like Avengers 2, Iron Man 2 & 3, and Captain America 1 are good movies.

6/10 average RT ratings for the movies you listed doesn't mean good. 6/10 is a passing grade for movies.

Where is this BS coming from that all Marvel movies are rated good?

Also the RT rating is a statistic not a score.

It's like taking a select group of people and asking them to taste something and either give it a like or dislike. Then you calculate the percentage that is all. 90% of people liked this product, so 90 out of every 100 people who took the taste test said they liked it. There is still those 10 out of every 100 people who think the 90 are crazy. The only thing that is relevant is you will either agree with the 90 or agree with the 10 people.

In Canada 1/4 of the population will die before the age of 60. You can disagree with it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that 25% of Canadians will not reach the age of 60. It is just a statistical fact. You will either be the 25% and be dead by 60 or the 75% and live past 60. There's no opinion based way around it.

If you can't accept this then the best course of action is to favourite those critics you sided with and follow their reviews of subsequent movies, since you are more likely to agree with them than the others.

LordRaptor

I don't know, I hate this stratification that happens with reviews sites like RT.

I think RT is a lot more honest than something like metacritic.

A 90 RT doesn't mean its a "90/100" movie.
It means 90% of people who reviewed it liked it.

As a "buyers guide", that's pretty useful information. For actual critical analysis, read / watch an actual review with someone whose taste you trust - and that doesn't even necessarily mean someone you agree with; if theres a particular reviewer who regularly has the opposite opinion than you do, they are trustworthy in their reviews, because you will have a high degree of confidence whatever they say you will think the opposite.

Bolivar687

Banned
The reviews are weird. I was expecting not to like it because of the Whedon ontop of the already lighter tone but I thought it was fine.

pramod

Banned
It was mediocre. Honestly unless they do something about superman their universe movies will be always bad.
What's the point of introducing super villain that can only be defeated through cooperation of whole team if you then bring superman who bitch slaps strongest enemy.

On the other hand if you bring villain who is dangerous to Superman then whole team of other heroes is pointless.

As long as this gap in power exist there won't be good DC universe movie. Avengers work because they are mostly on similar level and none of them are omnipotent.

Avengers have this exact same problem actually. You have Hulk and Thor, and then you have....the Black Widow and Hawkeye.

Marvel solves this by cheating. They usually nerf some heroes like Thor in the movies. For example Thor could have soloed Ultron and all the drones if he used his full power.

Justice League actually has it easier. Wonder Woman is supposed to be almost on par physically with Superman. Flash has Superman-level speeds. Aquaman is a few levels below WW/Superman but still very strong. Cyborg is at least as strong as Iron Man with all his tech and weapons. Batman has always been the exception but his advantage is that he is supposed to be the most dangerous human in the world and a master tactician.

jadedm17

I'll agree critics are too harsh, but in a post Dark Knight, Xmen 2, Avengers world we deserve more. BVS was enjoyable but not a $10 viewing; More of a Netflix or Redbox watch.

Suicide Squad was a damn mess cohesively from a film structure standpoint.

No it is not. Its stupid. Example Ghostbusters critics still went with a 75 because women. Wonder Woman was also a good movie but it got way too much praise not for the movie but for the cast. In my honest opinion Spiderman was the much better Superhero movie

But there are more and more of these reviews. I personally think youtube reviewers are the much better critics regarding movies They actually still see the movie not the crap around it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4DuQbHtfIU

llien

I trust user ratings more than critics ratings.
And user ratings aren't that far from those of well acclaimed movies.

RT is particularly bad when evaluating British movies.

tkscz

I liked the movie, I get why some people wouldn't but I think it did a good job. Not saying it's amazing, but I liked a lot of what it did and found it fun. I stopped listening to rotten tomatoes years ago. It usually does not reflect the opinions of average movie goers.

trikster40

Yikes. Lots of negativity in this thread :) but it sounds like most of you at least saw the flick and then created your own opinions, either good or bad.

I do get what the OP is saying. He didn’t go see it based on alll the negativity and ended up enjoying it. He is afraid most people won’t go see it based in negative reviews.

Unfortunately, that’s a fact of life. We all miss out on things if we listen to other people’s opinions. If you want to see/buy something, just do it. Better to go see a movie you really want to see and come out with your own opinion rather than listen to others and wonder what you missed out on.

I saw The Dark Tower day one. Horrible reviews (mostly deserved) but I wanted to see it and enjoyed it for what it was. Will I ever watch it again? Nope. Do I regret watching it? Nope.

xandaca

Reads like you've got an agenda of your own, there. Yes, there are critics who'll express favour towards parts of films aligning with their politics, but the idea that it's drastically altering the way movies are received is ludicrously overblown. If it's mentioned in the body of a review at all, it's usually as a tangent - "I liked/disliked this movie, but the lack of diversity was a shame" - rather than anything key to the appraisal, unless the movie, like Wonder Woman or Lady Ghostbusters, pushes those elements as part of the experience. If there's any degree of bias, it's reviewers being overly susceptible to hype, although even then it's not exactly a big deal beyond good movies being liked and bad movies disliked slightly more than they otherwise would have been.

LordRaptor

Reads like you've got an agenda of your own, there. Yes, there are critics who'll express favour towards parts of films aligning with their politics, but the idea that it's drastically altering the way movies are received is ludicrously overblown. If it's mentioned in the body of a review at all, it's usually as a tangent - "I liked/disliked this movie, but the lack of diversity was a shame" - rather than anything key to the appraisal, unless the movie, like Wonder Woman or Lady Ghostbusters, pushes those elements as part of the experience. If there's any degree of bias, it's reviewers being overly susceptible to hype, although even then it's not exactly a big deal beyond good movies being liked and bad movies disliked slightly more than they otherwise would have been.

Yeah, its not like Underworld or Resident Evil films get huge thumbsup because strong female lead and stuff like The Raid or John Wick gets called a pile of shit because the patriachy.

If you're seeing "gender agendas" where there clearly aren't any, its your own cognitive biases at play

wondermega

Rewatched Civil War last night - it wasn't a movie I particularly loved (or liked much, to be frank) - but for seeing it again for the first time since the theater, and comparing to the League which I'd seen some weeks ago, the gulf between the two is just huge. In some ways it's an apples and oranges comparison, but overall you can see how much more structured the established Marvel film just feels down to it's DNA, in spite of its extremely obvious flaws (too many characters, ridiculous villain, forced character motivations). DC clearly was a rush job in comparison, yes the movie was enjoyable to watch (I'm actually looking forward to a recut) but they really need to start taking some stronger cues from Marvel's book if they don't want to keep making these extremely messy films.
Before someone chimes in "but it's good that they zig where Marvel zags, otherwise it'd all be the same..." different doesn't necessarily mean better. It needs to be different still than where it is now. Anyway by the time Infinity Gauntlet arrives we'll surely be beyond the throes of super hero burnout anyway..

HoodWinked

ya the movie was a little better than mediocre but DC really cant afford to be decent at this point. Disney can come out with a Dark World and not be punished for it because they've had a history of consistency.

so people in general aren't really fair minded and will pounce on anything that has faults.

I'm not particularly sure I understand movie reviews, because I see the new spiderman and ww getting great reviews while neither felt like they were any better than jl to me they all felt like solid 50s to me, ot sure why these movies are so overrated.

onipex

I enjoyed all the DC movies and just about every comic book movie. None of them are great movies. I would put Begins, DKR, Iron Man, CA:WS , and WW as my top 5 in the genre.

I liked Justice League and encourage everyone I know to go and see it. The problem I have with the movie is that we deserved better. With all the drama around the movie I'm surprised it was as good as it was.

I didn't want DC to do the same thing as Marvel, but a little more build up to JL would have been a lot better. They could have at least done the Flash and/or Aquaman movies first.I hope they continue with the universe , but with JL doing less than their other movies I don't expect them to.

Paracelsus

I'm not particularly sure I understand movie reviews, because I see the new spiderman and ww getting great reviews while neither felt like they were any better than jl to me they all felt like solid 50s to me, ot sure why these movies are so overrated.

Comic book movies are meant for kids first, adults who want to see the same thing as kids later. They're not meant to be dark, violent, philosophic and miserable, unless the source material was exactly like that. CA Civil War had that kind of gloomy take and they still had the courtesy to shove in the airport battle in case the dumb politics were putting you to sleep.

JL is paying for the sins of MoS and BvS, basically. Wonder Woman got away with it because Snyder could not get his grubby hands on it and ruin the third character.

The biggest problem is people who want to make something more out of generic popcorn funny schlock.

HAdoubleRY

Neo Member
6/10 average RT ratings for the movies you listed doesn't mean good. 6/10 is a passing grade for movies.

Where is this BS coming from that all Marvel movies are rated good?

Also the RT rating is a statistic not a score.

It's like taking a select group of people and asking them to taste something and either give it a like or dislike. Then you calculate the percentage that is all. 90% of people liked this product, so 90 out of every 100 people who took the taste test said they liked it. There is still those 10 out of every 100 people who think the 90 are crazy. The only thing that is relevant is you will either agree with the 90 or agree with the 10 people.

In Canada 1/4 of the population will die before the age of 60. You can disagree with it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that 25% of Canadians will not reach the age of 60. It is just a statistical fact. You will either be the 25% and be dead by 60 or the 75% and live past 60. There's no opinion based way around it.

If you can't accept this then the best course of action is to favourite those critics you sided with and follow their reviews of subsequent movies, since you are more likely to agree with them than the others.

It's not quite the same because for reviews without a number score, there is still someone at RT deciding how to label the review. It's hard for RT's own feelings about a movie or their own agenda not to color the percentage they ultimately give it. Same thing with metacritic, where some "trusted reviewers" are weighted differently. Metacritic gets to decide who's trusted, so their thumb is on the scale.

However, I do find that a lot of people don't know that RT's score is just the amount of critics who said the movie was "passable." That's why I just tell people to ignore it and see a movie if they think they'll like it.

Dacon

Banned
I'm a big DC fan and I honestly think BvS was better(and that film was no masterpiece). The film is a disjointed mess, cobbled together from what was once a more cohesive experience. The reshoots are painfully obvious(not to mention they add nothing of value), and the plot is incredibly weak.

There isnt even particularly a good reason for the league to come together, from the way the film plays out the goal should just have been resurrecting Superman, because the rest of the league is so painfully inept and inefficient during the movie it's just laughable.

At the very least I expected the film to deliver fantastic action scenes and we don't even get that. Most of what we see is the league getting slapped around in very badly cgi'd scenes.

I'd like to see what the film was originally like before it got chopped up and churned through the WB media machine, because there definitely was more to this film than what we saw in the theatrical cut. There's plenty missing from the film that we saw in the trailers.

Top Bottom