• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The "Greatest city in the world" has the worst people in the world. Rude fucks.

At least we have the good sense not to tear our city apart when our teams win/lose championships unlike other "friendly" cities like LA or Vancouver.

Dragon

Banned
I get the feeling that the people who claim their city is the greatest in the world have never actually traveled to many other cities, let alone out of their own country.

There are many many New Yorkers that are like that in my experience. There are also some incredibly well meaning and tolerant people in the city. It's one of the most diverse sets of people anywhere in the world.

abuC

Levain Bakery

levain_bakery_walnut_chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

167 West 74th St
2167 Frederick Douglass Blvd

The chocolate chip cookies are the work of angels.

ever since Bloomberg announced the plan to rebuild Coney Island low income families have moved into my area and im telling you the crime has shot up.. just before the announcement you can walk out regardless of the time and you won't get into a problem now its a risk lol

oh and for visiting Coney Island/Astroland.. go for it... just do it in the morning/afternoon lol

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A really magnificent city. I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday there, but London still has the greatest collection of museums and galleries in the entire world and Paris the greatest art museum of them all.

number47

What are the rules on a meet up anyway?

Can't someone just say HEY FRIDAY WE WILL MEET AT XYZ ON THE CORNER OF A AND B,AT DEF. seriously.why is just meeting that hard.

milanbaros

Member?
Edmond Dantès;34219987 said:
A really magnificent city. I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday there, but London still has the greatest collection of museums and galleries in the entire world and Paris the greatest art museum of them all.

And they are free. What is that $25 shit in NY?

LQX

ever since Bloomberg announced the plan to rebuild Coney Island low income families have moved into my area and im telling you the crime has shot up.. just before the announcement you can walk out regardless of the time and you won't get into a problem now its a risk lol

oh and for visiting Coney Island/Astroland.. go for it... just do it in the morning/afternoon lol

So do you live around Coney Island or are you saying people have moved from Coney Island area to where you live? The Coney Island area has always seemed low income to me.

bob page

And they are free. What is that $25 shit in NY?

For the MeT and American Museum of Natural History, admission is suggested, but not required. They kind of force you to pay unless you specifically tell them that you don't want to, which is completely fine.

jasonng

What are the rules on a meet up anyway?

Can't someone just say HEY FRIDAY WE WILL MEET AT XYZ ON THE CORNER OF A AND B,AT DEF. seriously.why is just meeting that hard.
Honestly? All it takes for one person to just to do the "planning" by actually picking a spot and a time in advance and going through with it. No one but Lawblob actually came through with a plan.

number47

Honestly? All it takes for one person to just to do the "planning" by actually picking a spot and a time in advance and going through with it. No one but Lawblob actually came through with a plan.

True, can't think of one bar to sit all you crazy cats.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep, greatest city in the world by far. I much prefer living out here in the bay area now, but no one will ever take the greatest-city title from NYC.

Edmond Dantès;34219987 said:
This. I've been to all three and I thought NYC was the least enjoyable.

Jhoan

One of my favorite spots to eat whenever I'm in the city is at La Casa del Mofongo. If you ever want to try some delicious Hispanic good you definitely need to hit 'em up. It's up in Washington Heights.
As a resident of Washington Heights, I completely agree. I'll also recommend El Malecon as another restaurant that has some great Dominican food. Also Sushi Yu II for Japanese food, Aqua Marina for some good Italian food; it's on 172nd and Broadway. While I've never been to this place myself, I'll also recommend Coogan's on 168th and Broadway; it's a bar/restaurant that's really popular. Plus they make Irish coffee if anyone's into that sort of thing.

The problem that most people seem to have with NYC is most people only go to the tourist destinations. How many people have even heard of Washington Heights? None right? That's exactly my point. Come up to Fort Tryon Park, take a trip down to the Little Red Lighthouse that's underneath the George Washington Bridge, watch a live Bachata or Merengue Tipico band. Having lived in The Heights for practically all my life, I've seen it change so much; nowadays, it's gentrifying which sucks.

Also, The Bronx Botanical Gardens, Yankee Stadium, The Museum of Moving Images (Queens), the free art galleries down at the Chealsea area that people can waltz into, Chelsea Piers, Southstreet Seaport; there's a ton of places to see.

I have to say though, one of my favorite areas to hang out at is Union Square for sure. Besides the fact that there's so many hot women that walk around there, it's a nice alternative to the tourist trap that is Times Square; it's pretty relaxing and there's several shops around the area.

I dunno much about places to see outside of Manhattan and The Bronx, but if anyone has any questions, ask away.

I've been to Paris, and go to NYC regularly. While I loved Paris, and it was a much more beautiful city, and certainly more well endowed in the arts, NYC is more fun, has much more diversity, and is generally much more exciting than Paris was.

So do you live around Coney Island or are you saying people have moved from Coney Island area to where you live? The Coney Island area has always seemed low income to me.

I live in the Gravesend area, (middle and upper class) across the street from Coney Island Hospital and three blocks from Lincoln HS

Best place in the world and I have traveled all over. My hometown for my entire life is NY.

Let me add to the thread besides telling everyone how amazing this city is.

Clubs

1 Oak
Avenue
RDV - Meatpacking
Lavo - Midtown
Le Bain - Meatpacking
Bunker-Meatpacking
S.L - Meatpacking
Kiss & Fly - Meatpacking
Marquee - Chelsea
Dream Downtown
Darby
Bagatelle -Meatpacking
The Griffin -Meatpacking
Tenjune -Meatpacking

Boozy Brunches

Day & Night Party at Ajna Bar - Meatpacking
Bagatelle -Meatpacking
Lavo -Midtown
Sunset Brunch

Boozy Restaurants Lounge Scene

Beauty & Essex -Lower East Side
MPD -Meatpacking

Ill add to this as more come my way.

Archer

i respect the city for what it is. its not MY home, but it's got big shoulders and the guns to back it up, so it deserves respect.

abuC

As a resident of Washington Heights, I completely agree. I'll also recommend El Malecon as another restaurant that has some great Dominican food. Also Sushi Yu II for Japanese food, Aqua Marina for some good Italian food; it's on 172nd and Broadway. While I've never been to this place myself, I'll also recommend Coogan's on 168th and Broadway; it's a bar/restaurant that's really popular. Plus they make Irish coffee if anyone's into that sort of thing.

The problem that most people seem to have with NYC is most people only go to the tourist destinations. How many people have even heard of Washington Heights? None right? That's exactly my point. Come up to Fort Tryon Park, take a trip down to the Little Red Lighthouse that's underneath the George Washington Bridge, watch a live Bachata or Merengue Tipico band. Having lived in The Heights for practically all my life, I've seen it change so much; nowadays, it's gentrifying which sucks.

I almost got into a fight in J. Hood park while playing football and I also played basketball @ Harbor Heights middle school.

My ex girlfriend used to work in an office on Haven and 173st street too, I don't go into the Heights as much now, but used to hang out there all the time.

number47

Best place in the world and I have traveled all over. My hometown for my entire life is NY.

Let me add to the thread besides telling everyone how amazing this city is.

Clubs

RDV - Meatpacking
Lavo - Midtown
Le Bain - Meatpacking
Bunker-Meatpacking
S.L - Meatpacking
Kiss & Fly - Meatpacking
Marquee - Chelsea
Dream Downtown
Darby
Bagatelle -Meatpacking
The Griffin -Meatpacking
Tenjune -Meatpacking

Boozy Brunches

Day & Night Party at Ajna Bar - Meatpacking
Bagatelle -Meatpacking
Lavo -Midtown
Sunset Brunch

Boozy Restaurants Lounge Scene

Beauty & Essex -Lower East Side
MPD -Meatpacking

Ill add to this as more come my way.

I want to be your friend.Or Obtain your knowledge of Clubs.

The great thing about New York City is not exclusively the shit you see as a tourist. The city is dense, DENSE, you'd have to spend months here if not a year plus to really even get what makes this town so awesome - maybe even longer, I've only been here since Oct. 2010.

This is where the disconnect comes in with people travelling. You come here and you go to Time's Square, you go to the Empire State Building, Central Park, you go to the Statue of Liberty, maybe you'll check out Rockefeller and 30 Rock, Macy's, the WTC site, walk down 5th Ave, go see the NY Public Library or the Apple Store. All that stuff is not the city, that whole list is merely a tiny tiny fraction of a huge list of tourist destinations. People think they visit family in Brooklyn or stayed with a buddy in the Bronx so they know all about the way people live here but they have no idea. People that proclaim the city's excellence aren't doing it because they think Times Square is the shit.

All that being said, I think the same can be said for every big city in the world. London, Tokyo, etc... you won't understand why people proclaim those cities as the greatest in the world until you've lived there. I don't know if London is better, and I wouldn't until I've lived there for any descent amount of time.

ATF487

Yeah, the people in Boston are MUCH worse from my experience, they don't even help with directions if asked.

People here usually keep to themselves, same thing as New York, really. If you were wearing anything NY related it's probably a good thing you were ignored though, otherwise you'd get shit or wrong directions. That being said I think people here are alright, but I understand the masshole reputation. We don't come off well with first impressions, but I like it better than the south where the friendliness seems forced/not genuine.

But since this is a thread about New York, I'll say what I think:

I don't think there's any city in America that can really compare with it, but it's also mostly an anomaly. It's the symbol of America for a lot of people, but it's nothing like most of the country. I've enjoyed the limited time I've spent there, and would love to live there, but it's really a difficult thing to say it's objectively the "greatest city in the world.' NYC has everything, but I know that personally London would be an ideal destination. Everything NYC has in the city limits, and proximity to some of the coolest cities in Europe/the World.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Blockheads is exclusive to NYC? I love their rednose bulldogs.

I recommend Bareburger for your burger needs. They serve various grass fed/organic meats including ostrich, elk, bison, and so on. They have various styles for your burger of your choice. Also doesn't hurt that they have great import beer on the cheap. Best onion rings I ever had here.

Definitely check it out!
5727802476_e3ff84c8a4.jpg

oh god yes, Bareburger is godly. Gotta love Astoria

fancimus

Awesome thread! I've been here almost 6 years now and really enjoy it. Here's a few more tips:

- You can also take the Staten Island Ferry for free, and you'll enjoy great views of downtown manhattan, the statue of liberty and downtown brooklyn.

- If you visit in the warmer months, go to Governor's Island (there's a free ferry downtown). There's always free/cheap concerts and events, and lots of open space. It's a great alternative to the more crowded central park, and views of the city as well.

- Check TimeOut New York or Gothamist before you visit, they will have the latest goings-on in the city

- There's already some great food suggestions, but here's a few more:

Pearl Oyster Bar: very unpretentious and one of the best lobster rolls I've ever had
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pearl-oyster-bar-new-york

The Dutch: it's a pretty new, "hip" restaurant/bar, but it's quintessential soho if that's what you're looking for, and they have great brunch
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-dutch-new-york

Paulie Gee's: my favorite pizza place in NYC so far (haven't tried di fara yet, unfortunately). Be prepared to wait for a table!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/paulie-gees-brooklyn

Carbonox

I would love to go to New York some day.

I'm going to San Francisco next weekend for a week so a similar thread like this for that city would be brilliant. :p

Barrett2

A little NYC trivia for the hayseeds, an old Chinese man with two weiner dogs on a leash walks by the Empire State Building every weekday morning at exactly 6:45am. One of my goals in 2012 is to find out where he works.

- Check TimeOut New York or Gothamist before you visit, they will have the latest goings-on in the city

This is extremely good advice. Reading through the varied "things to do" lists on the Timeout website is going to be 100x more relevant than toting around some dumb travel book that tells you to spend a day looking at the Empire State Building and eating at a tourist trap.

bob page

A little NYC trivia for the hayseeds, an old Chinese man with two weiner dogs on a leash walks by the Empire State Building every weekday morning at exactly 6:45am. One of my goals in 2012 is to find out where he works.

This is extremely good advice. Reading through the varied "things to do" lists on the Timeout website is going to be 100x more relevant than toting around some dumb travel book that tells you to spend a day looking at the Empire State Building and eating at a tourist trap.

Not as cool as the old Chinese guy who walks around the projects near my house BACKWARDS every morning at 7:30.

Also, I need some more of your famous restaurant recommendations! I listed all that I could remember.

Top Bottom