• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alexander Brandon, the composer of Deus Ex and Unreal, is working with Retro Studios

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Honestly I don't care if Retro aren't working on Metroid as long as they're making something sufficiently different from EAD that it can complement Japan's output. I'd love a more western game but one far less realistic and serious in tone than what other devs are doing. Really miss the days of NOLF and Timesplitters.

The Hermit

Jesus Chris

I want to play anything they are working on. Really, it could be donkey Kong 3, I don't care.

Just give it to me

gafneo

Banned
Honestly I don't care if Retro aren't working on Metroid as long as they're making something sufficiently different from EAD that it can complement Japan's output. I'd love a more western game but one far less realistic and serious in tone than what other devs are doing. Really miss the days of NOLF and Timesplitters.
Retro is co-dev with Square Enix maybe

Mman235

The idea of a Retro-fronted Metroid game with an Alexander Brandon soundtrack is too amazing to handle.

So I'll keep my expectations low for now

Didn't Tanabe pretty much confirm Retro is not working on Metroid when he talked about Federation Force. He said he wants to do a Metroid game who follows the post credit scene from Prime 3 and hinted at another one in FF (which indeed happened). But he also said that Retro is busy with something else and that he doesn't have a team who can work on that at the moment. I am pretty sure they are working on a new IP and while I love Metroid, I am fine with that. A DKC game would have been finished by now imo.

Wow you might be on to something! It sounds like Retro is not working on a Metroid game.

Here's the interview from August 2015. Everyone should read this!

http://www.usgamer.net/amp/kensuke-tanabe-on-metroid-prime-federation-force/page-2

USG: You mentioned the story leading up to the future. Is that the "future" as defined in Metroid Prime 3, or are you thinking ahead to future games in the Prime Series?

KT: The whole story around Dark Samus and Phazon are complete stories. But for the future, what I have in mind is something involving Silux and Samus with the Federation Force, so to put a focus on that. While I still don’t have a concrete idea on how many games that could be involving between these two, there’s something relating to Silux that has made Silux hate Samus. So in that way, it might be backtracking a bit in the timeline to explain that a little bit, to clarify what is going to happen between the two of them.

USG: So in a way, you envision this game as a Prologue to future chapters in the Prime Series?

KT: You can say it that way, but obviously, you will be able to learn something about the Prime Universe with this game. I am definitely creating this game with it in mind that players can enjoy it as much as they did previous Prime titles. With that in mind, I would love players to experience this as well.

USG: Is Retro involved in this project at all?

KT: The whole development has been done by Next Level Games. There was just one part — for the design for the mechs, Retro had the supervisory role for this game.

USG: Next Level is great; they make fantastic games, but it was surprising to see a new Metroid Prime that you’re working on and Retro isn’t.

KT: I’ve always been working with Next Level Games in titles like Mario Strikers, Punch-Out!!, and Luigi's Mansion 2, so we’ve always had a good relationship. While there were other titles like Hunters that was developed by NST, this time, timing-wise it didn’t work well, so when I brought this idea to Next Level Games, they were very excited about it and said, “We would definitely want to work on this!” And that’s how we started working on it together.

USG: Should we expect to hear news on what Retro is working on some time soon?

KT: I’m not quite sure about the stuff that they’re working on at this time.

He's talking about the future of Metroid Prime and then he says he doesn't know what Retro is working on. There was a rumor later on that him and Retro had a fallout.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My sources tell me that Retro is working on a Cranky Kong immersive sim. First person perspective, multiple ways to get through every level that are unlocked by your skill choices as you level up. There's also a crossover with Rabbids for some reason, Nintendo seems to be pushing it in all their upcoming games. 3DS exclusive.

I personally can't wait to play Simia Ex.

ChaosXVI

Jesus Christ, 3 years after their last game and FINALLY, someone gets an actual piece of possibly significant information about Retro. No clue how they manage to be so leak-free.

I'm not going to get too excited yet, but if he's the actual composer, and David Wise isn't, it's pretty unlikely they'd be doing another DK game...

...I won't lie though, his love of the Metroid soundtrack has got me feeling irrationally hyped, even though it proves nothing.

TheMoon

This might be our first hint as to the nature of Retro's current project, insofar as it suggests something more mature. I mean, I'm sure this composer has range and could do something "lighter," but his pedigree would probably draw Nintendo's attention if they were looking for something darker.

If they're continuing one of their previous franchises, I suppose Metroid is looking more likely than DKC, although it could be a new IP altogether.

Again, he more often does sound design than composing these days. People are already reading too much into this again.

Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime are my two favorite games of all time. But people need to stop asking for this. Open world is antithetical to Metroid.

This right here. I don't want BotW with Samus. Metroid Prime is as open as the series should ever be.

I really hope that Retro is working on Metroid, but I'll settle for a new IP

skypunch

Banned
Again, he more often does sound design than composing these days. People are already reading too much into this again.

He says "as much as I'd like to say more, I can't​"... I don't expect him to then say "Yup! That's right. I am the sound designer!"

As much as sound design is a really important aspect of video game development, it's not really something that I feel would excite people.

TheMoon

He says "as much as I'd like to say more, I can't​"... I don't expect him to then say "Yup! That's right. I am the sound designer!"

As much as sound design is a really important aspect of video game development, it's not really something that I feel would excite people.

what he actually does is irrelevant to the excitement part.

Why? It's not like he said he was doing sound design for Retro. That's as much of an assumption as thinking he's composing

Exactly. It doesn't matter he's been doing sound design. He can sign a contract with Retro for composing. The guy obviously loves Metroid. I'm going to be excited and hyped.

Harpoon

Really hope it's a new IP. I'd like to see Retro create their own world, rather than flip-flop between Metroid and DK--it's going to be their 20th anniversary next year, their first original IP would fit perfectly.

TheMoon

Why? It's not like he said he was doing sound design for Retro. That's as much of an assumption as thinking he's composing
Exactly. It doesn't matter he's been doing sound design. He can sign a contract with Retro for composing. The guy obviously loves Metroid. I'm going to be excited and hyped.

No but people only see the word "composer" in the title and his recent history of mostly sound design/fx doesn't get mentioned so they think they're putting 2+2 together by reading "composer" and "Deus Ex, etc" and "Retro Studios" and go directly to "sci-fi game/OMGMETROROIDO!!!11eleven" which is what I'm trying to reign in here a little.

Aldric

l don't get why anyone would be excited at the prospect of a Metroid game in this context because it'd mean no more Kenji Yamamoto composing the OST and that would fucking suck.

RuhRo

Bear in mind he lives literally 15-20 minutes' drive from Retro. It's not like they shipped him in due to a particular competency in science fiction. I'd assume he's on a Retro game because he's one of a handful of sound guys with his level of resume in a 15 mile radius of the company before I'd extrapolate anything about the type of project.

That said, please lawd give us a Retro sci fi immersive sim.

I mean, this is pretty much confirmation that it isn't another DK game. Plus. If they're working on music, doesn't that mean the game is pretty close to being done? I mean, like within the next year.

I mean, this is pretty much confirmation that it isn't another DK game. Plus. If they're working on music, doesn't that mean the game is pretty close to being done? I mean, like within the next year.

Game's been in production for three and a half years, so yeah, it's likely nearing completion.

The more exciting thing about this news is the fact that sound design is one of the last stages of a project. It's coming soon. I'm at a 95% confidence level that whatever it is will be revealed at E3.

Deku89

Pikmin Prime.

Man, can't wait to find out what they're working on. Don't really care what it is at this point.

Please show it at e3, it's about time

It's guaranteed to be there at this point.

Yeah music is one of the last things. They've been working on this game since the end of 2013.

Wasn't there the rumor of Retro making a new IP not related to Metroid or Donkey Kong?

There's been all kinds of rumors lol.

The more exciting thing about this news is the fact that sound design is one of the last stages of a project. It's coming soon. I'm at a 95% confidence level that whatever it is will be revealed at E3.

Come on you can squeeze another 5%. ;D

TheMoon

l don't get why anyone would be excited at the prospect of a Metroid game in this context because it'd mean no more Kenji Yamamoto composing the OST and that would fucking suck.

Not really. the sound team for DKCR was huge, Yamamoto also collaborated on DKCTF with David Wise. And again, not like it's set in stone he's even composing at all.

No to both.

This reminds me of when they hired an art guy from Naughty dogs and people who worked on Darksiders and GAF was like "OMG it must mean they are making a gritty action adventure game!"

And then they revealed Fucking Donkey Kong.

Top Bottom