• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennial Average Median Income Per State

I make 32k a year in Florida and I still live with my parents. I pay all the utilities, which are around 500 a month. If I tried to live on my own I would have to spend at least 800 for a 1 bedroom apt. Plus car payment ( you need a reliable car since you everything is so far apart), and insurance is another 600 a month. I don't even have health insurance since it would be a considerably large extra bill.

Im not scraping by by any means, but its not exactly easy on 32k I cant imagine getting by on 20k or less.

The car payment makes it a bit tougher, but that seems like a ton to me compared to when I was living in LA. I had to pay $895 just for a studio, and Florida is dirt cheap compared to LA. What are you spending your money on that makes it necessary to live with your parents still? School loans?

Numbers are shitty all across the board.

Yet property prices and rents continue to rise at rates that don't represent what almost any young people can comfortably afford.

This is after tax?

Would be enough, if the US didn't have that healthcare bullshit costing you guys a ton of money and the rent is too damn high in most cities these days. Fix those two and most people can live pretty well.

The car payment makes it a bit tougher, but that seems like a ton to me compared to when I was living in LA. I had to pay $895 just for a studio, and Florida is dirt cheap compared to LA. What are you spending your money on that makes it necessary to live with your parents still? School loans?

Where? I'm paying more than twice that and while I've found apartments for $1500, that's about the cheapest apartments I've found that aren't in supposed bad areas.

Foffy

Banned
This makes me feel worse than I already do. I'm nowhere near 20,000 even on a good year. I feel so sad and desperate now being jobless off and on. I'm just tired of playing this game hoping that someone will call me for an interview and if they accept me. Sometimes I cry because I feel like I'm never going to amount to shit.

Let me interject and tell you an obscure truth: you already amount to something.

You exist.

This really is enough.

The problem right now is a society that says "No! More!" especially when that more is fleeting.

We really need a society where one's sense of worth does not come from jobs, because as you and I know, this. is. not. working. anymore.

Don't beat yourself up. Demand the beating of a jobs cult culture, and that bitch needs some dropkicks.

G.ZZZ

People have been taught that their life is a mean to achieve other things, and not the other way around.

It's hard to beat ingrained dogmas. It's our modern day religion.

Median household income is a bit over 50k so adults starting their careers are going to make a bit less than half of that.
Im also curious if they are counting say, older high school students in this stat and college students outside the work force. That eould skew this downward as well. It might also explain why Mississippi is on the higher side in relative terms.

Carnby

Does this include people who are in college? Because that would really mess up the average and not give an accurate picture of each state's median.

Edit: From the article in the OP.

Note that the youngest millennials are college-aged and may only be working part time, which may skew the median downward.

Where? I'm paying more than twice that and while I've found apartments for $1500, that's about the cheapest apartments I've found that aren't in supposed bad areas.

I was in KTown just south of Rampart. Definitely not a 'nice' area, but perfectly serviceable and I actually liked my complex. Utilities were included and pets allowed as well. I looked up the apartment to see what the price is now since it's been 10 years(!), and it looks like their apartments are for $1000 and up currently.

To add, I lived in Torrance up until 2013, and my 1 bedroom there was $1030 (bc I traded the parking spot that came with it for a rent reduction. It was normally $1100).

Nakazato

New map proves it, Millennials are killing the median income! Will the millennials reign of terror ever end?

CyKIGFmXAAAaFz7.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/deray/status/802353325702344704

Way above avg in FL which is surprising. Even the my company hasn't even been paying us what other companies do.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Does this include people who are in college? Because that would really mess up the average and not give an accurate picture of each state's median.

Edit: From the article in the OP.

I'm sure it would. Though 2/3rds of millennials would be beyond typical college age by now.

I'm sure it would. Though 2/3rds of millennials would be beyond typical college age by now.
More than that I think, 1982 or so was the start of the generation with '96-'98 being the tail end. Millennials old as fuck. I'm just barely in it from the old side so I'm not surprised to be comfortable higher than the medians.

I don't know, "young people not making money" isn't really news anymore, is it?

nel e nel

If it was mean instead of median it would give a better accuracy. This link was for clicks imho.

Median tends to be a better measure for these types of things since it's what the most number of people make, ergo it's a better predictor of what the average person would be making. Essentially it's the middle of the bell curve.

witness

Ooof, $20k here in florida!? Surprising but not surprising. I will consider myself extremely fortunate then compared to my peers. I can't imagine still being at that point.

This is another example of why "generations" are dumb. No way the older spectrum of millennials are making an average of that low. I make like 4x my states number. I suppose the inherent point remains the same, younger people are really struggling.

Zoe

22k in Texas sounds really really low. Isn't Houston and Austin really expensive place to live?

Rural + the main cities will have a lot of students dragging the average down.

This is after tax?

Would be enough, if the US didn't have that healthcare bullshit costing you guys a ton of money and the rent is too damn high in most cities these days. Fix those two and most people can live pretty well.
No, pre-tax.

Another thing to consider is this is not household income.

RMI

Banned
I think I might have missed the millenial thing (1983) but somewhat glad to see that my salary is more than twice the median millenial income in NY. I don't even know how you are supposed to survive on 25k/yr.

22k in Texas sounds really really low. Isn't Houston and Austin really expensive place to live?

Austin is getting more expensive. But places like Houston and Dallas still have a relatively low cost of living - given the size and resources of the respective cities. Lots more sprawl that I guess helps.

That being said, all of those locations are rising in price. And regardless, even with a lower cost of living, 22k won't get you far at all.

AcridMeat

Banned
California Median personal income for all employees: $35,000

Fuck me that's low (you all should really read the article).

I'm thankfully working jobs now where I can afford to live okay, but as it's contract work I am on the constant hustle to find what's next which is its own stress.

No, pre-tax.

Another thing to consider is this is not household income.
Ouch, so it gets a bit lower. Big difference for the EU people talking, they are probably looking at their income after tax, while Americans tend to talk pre-tax. At least, that is my experience.

fuzzyset

Looking at houses currently in SoCal ( Riverside ) and its either double or triple my salary. Only if i was making the same amount of money now and that house being 150k.

Not sure if you misspoke, but you know 3:1 house price to salary ratio is pretty standard right? It's a fairly safe rule of thumb to have. E.g. make 100k, you can afford 300k house.

Exuro

If it was mean instead of median it would give a better accuracy. This link was for clicks imho.
No, mean has issues with outliers, which in this case would be greatly affected by the 1%, skewing what the average person makes. Median is much less affected by that and a better statistic for this distribution. Though you could remove the outliers and take the average, using the median is more robust.

Yea that's pretty much what i made when about that point in my early 20's. Keep grinding. Adapt when needed.

Getting a fat salary right out of the gate isn't the norm.

Holmes

I'm starting a new job in two weeks with a starting pay of $45k, not including overtime, with great benefits and retirement (Bay Area). Some people in my generation aren't so lucky. I think we need to work on getting people better access to jobs, education, better wages and lowering income inequality.

Yea that's pretty much what i made when about that point in my early 20's. Keep grinding. Adapt when needed.

Getting a fat salary right out of the gate isn't the norm.

Hasn't everything gone up in price massively in the US since then?

In the UK, I notice people are on a similar wage to what I remember but rent and student fees have gone up crazily.

Hasn't everything gone up in price massively in the US since then?

In the UK, I notice people are on a similar wage to what I remember but rent and student fees have gone up crazily.

Massively since 2001? No. Up sure. But I made shit at that age. It wasn't enough then. Not enough now. But I always understood it'd be that way and knew I'd have to find a better job and keep grinding.

ShyMel

This is depressing, but not surprising. I am so glad that I got a job the same year I graduated related to my degree. I was so worried that I wouldn't get a better job and would be stuck working retail still.

I'm starting a new job in two weeks with a starting pay of $45k, not including overtime, with great benefits and retirement (Bay Area). Some people in my generation aren't so lucky. I think we need to work on getting people better access to jobs, education, better wages and lowering income inequality.

Will you be commuting/living with your folks? Super expensive out there, no?

Top Bottom