• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

It has been done...

ysKybFK.jpg

I tried stormy ascent, but couldn't do it. I got up to the bonus stage before heading off to work

Ash735

I still wish they'd go back and re-do the Holograms in Crash 2, they are so bland now compared to the original game, just some minor effects have an impact:

Scanlines + RGB Noise
trFOl5q.jpg

Just RGB Noise
tZ3uGdi.jpg

Original
wJlCJo4.jpg

Especially since the original would play on the effects, such as the noise getting stronger and static when Coco takes over the signal from Cortex, etc, where as here, they just fade out Cortex and fade in Coco, but keep the sound fx.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Edging closer...

Now have all trial relics up to High Road. Only a handful left to earn, but what a ridiculous challenge it's been so far. Some levels have taken hours to finally perfect enough. So many podcasts...

Fearing High Road though. I'll give it a try later this week.

I still wish they'd go back and re-do the Holograms in Crash 2, they are so bland now compared to the original game, just some minor effects have an impact:

Scanlines + RGB Noise
trFOl5q.jpg

Just RGB Noise
tZ3uGdi.jpg

Original
wJlCJo4.jpg

Especially since the original would play on the effects, such as the noise getting stronger and static when Coco takes over the signal from Cortex, etc, where as here, they just fade out Cortex and fade in Coco, but keep the sound fx.
yeah, the original holograms look way, way better. And sound better too, like you said.

xuchu

Woof! Finally did it. Stormy Ascent time trial is bananas. The gold relic time is not the issue but staying alive is.

Make sure to get those two aku aku masks and burn one on the shortcut and burn the other on the last downward stair jump as it's very easy to hit the spike there. If you can be fast in the initial climb you can take your time during the last half. With the last bird jumps, make sure to jump as the bird is moving away from you. Just take your time.

It's not a platinum relic but still proud of it. Took a good two hours in total but got 3 trophies instantly with it.

tNwXiNO.jpg

Scanlines + RGB Noise
trFOl5q.jpg

Just RGB Noise
tZ3uGdi.jpg

Original
wJlCJo4.jpg

Yeah, these things only stick out so much because the rest of the remake is so damn stellar. It seems like the cinematics may have been the last thing worked on. I miss how the Warp Rooms would darken and have only Cortex's glowing head. They also tween back into their "default" expression when a transmission ends vs cutting in the middle of an expression. It really sticks out with Coco.

Here's the darker appearance in the original:
cortex-hologram.jpg

It was much more ominous. That said, Cortex/Coco's animations were top-notch in the remake, and really added a ton of character. It's a shame that they seemingly fell short of the last polish pass on the presentation.

Nasbin

I got all but 2 of the platinum relics in Crash 1 before I realized the trophy only required gold relics ... welp. Crash 2 and 3 platinums are gonna be super chill.

*Splinter

Woof! Finally did it. Stormy Ascent time trial is bananas. The gold relic time is not the issue but staying alive is.

Make sure to get those two aku aku masks and burn one on the shortcut and burn the other on the last downward stair jump as it's very easy to hit the spike there. If you can be fast in the initial climb you can take your time during the last half. With the last bird jumps, make sure to jump as the bird is moving away from you. Just take your time.

It's not a platinum relic but still proud of it. Took a good two hours in total but got 3 trophies instantly with it.

tNwXiNO.jpg
Huh... Did they make Stormy Ascent required for the platinum? Or are you missing a relic on another level so you have 27 in total?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Stormy Ascent is part of a different trophy list, but because it's an extra level of the main game, I guess it can count towards the platinum.

.....granted, aside from High Road, I don't know what stage you'd skip & decide to get the gem or relic for the DLC stage instead of one from the main game.

xuchu

Huh... Did they make Stormy Ascent required for the platinum? Or are you missing a relic on another level so you have 27 in total?

Didn't do high road, just went straight for stormy Ascent relic. So got the 26 relic trophy, stormy Ascent time trial trophy and platinum in one go.

Stormy Ascent is part of a different trophy list, but because it's an extra level of the main game, I guess it can count towards the platinum.

.....granted, aside from High Road, I don't know what stage you'd skip & decide to get the gem or relic for the DLC stage instead of one from the main game.
Wait, I can skip High Road now?! Don't care how hard Stormy Ascent is, I did Slippery Climb okay and High Road is some Grade A bullshit.

Nev

Banned
Crash 1 was absolutely delightful to play. Pure platforming bliss.

They fixed it big time.

Crash 3 officially at the bottom now. The only thing keeping it ahead of Crash 1 was the superior movement/jumping, but no more.

farisr

Wait, I can skip High Road now?! Don't care how hard Stormy Ascent is, I did Slippery Climb okay and High Road is some Grade A bullshit.
If you're going for the platinum for the game, yeah, you can do stormy ascent instead of The High Road to get the "earn 26 relics (gold or better)" and "earn 26 gems" trophies.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I just played through Stormy Ascent and got the gem. Never again. Not even going to attempt the relic. Yeah Naughty Dog were right to remove this level.

muteki

Blew through Crash 3 in just a couple days. It was the only one of the original 3 that I had experience with so not terribly surprised but wow it is so much easier than either of the others. I do love most of the vehicle levels (motorcycles are still horrible though, and planes too easy). Love that N. Gin boss fight though.

timedesk

Neo Member
I just got the gold relic for stormy ascent the other day, and am now done with all the trophies for the trilogy. As someone who never played more than a demo for each of the crash games when they came out, this has been a real treat. There were some annoying levels in all the games, but on the whole it was a lot of fun. I truly hope the game's success will lead to a spyro or MediEvil remake. At the very least it was fun to play some classic platforming in 2017. I don't think I would have even given this game a try if it hadn't been for all the excitement on this thread so thanks everyone.

So far, I've had way too much fun with this game. Been playing it alongside the originals on the Vita, so definitely had to adjust to the controls on Crash 1. I lost 70 lives on High Road but still had lots of fun with it, and this trilogy has been the best gaming investment I've made this year.

Now to hope for a new Crash game!

Yeah, these things only stick out so much because the rest of the remake is so damn stellar. It seems like the cinematics may have been the last thing worked on. I miss how the Warp Rooms would darken and have only Cortex's glowing head. They also tween back into their "default" expression when a transmission ends vs cutting in the middle of an expression. It really sticks out with Coco.

Here's the darker appearance in the original:

It was much more ominous. That said, Cortex/Coco's animations were top-notch in the remake, and really added a ton of character. It's a shame that they seemingly fell short of the last polish pass on the presentation.

That and the switch from Clancy Brown to Lex Lang makes the tone of the game change a lot from the original, but it's not a dealbreaker IMO.

Almost finished with Crash 3. Much easier relative to the other two. I've been enjoying my time with the collection but I think I'll save the platinum trophies for another time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
That feeling spending 2 hours trying to get gold on High Road, and your best time is still 6 seconds behind...

farisr

Took me 6 hours but I got the gold relic for Stormy Ascent by a good margin. Messed up the last jump (the birds) twice, at the 4 hour and 5 hour mark. Would've gotten gold in those runs too.

Now Crash 1 shows up as 100% on my trophy list at a glance with the DLC included finally and I am done with it. Loved my time with it. I really don't think I played the first game (or maybe just didn't get a good ways in when I rented in). Had only played Crash 2 & 3. But I really liked the focus on platforming.

I'm curious which one I'll end up liking the most now by the time I'm done with all three.

hobdal

Neo Member
Picked this up on my way home from work earlier and played for an hour or so tonight. It's my first ever experience of a Crash game and really enjoying it so far but holy hell I was not expecting the difficulty. Made it up to Hog Dash (I think thats the name?) and called it a night there after dying repeatedly. Looking forward to sinking some more time into it. I know those time trials are going to kick my ass though.

Scanlines + RGB Noise
http://i.imgur.com/trFOl5q.jpg[IMG]

Just RGB Noise
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tZ3uGdi.jpg[IMG]

Original
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wJlCJo4.jpg[IMG]

Especially since the original would play on the effects, such as the noise getting stronger and static when Coco takes over the signal from Cortex, etc, where as here, they just fade out Cortex and fade in Coco, but keep the sound fx.[/QUOTE]

Worst thing to me is that the floating camera doesn't change the lightsource on the hologram when I think the original did.

HardRojo

Got all 3 Plats! It was a fun
at times frustrating
run! Got the boxes trophy for Stormy Ascent and was trying to go for the relic, found a couple of ways to optimize time but that doesn't matter because I know one of those jumps in the latter parts is going to keep screwing me over, so I'll save it for a day I really hate myself. CTR please!

BHK3

Banned
Have they said anything about a patch? Tried the game today and WOW these loading times. Also holding out hope for a possible controls tweak, this momentum thing and slipping off edges you landed on is ruining the game for me because the original was not like this.

Yukinari

Have they said anything about a patch? Tried the game today and WOW these loading times. Also holding out hope for a possible controls tweak, this momentum thing and slipping off edges you landed on is ruining the game for me because the original was not like this.

Basically "its a feature" in regards to the collision and controls.

Real shitty of them to even say that.

BHK3

Banned
Well, guess I'm giving the game back to my friend then. Adding speed and weight to a game designed around no speed and weight without adjusting the levels ruins everything. Can't get through stormy ascent without sliding off everything, the level isn't even that bad, you have to really learn the patterns but if I jump and see crash STANDING on the platform just for him to fall off is killing me more than anything. Like I land on a platform and then immediatly do a safety jump to make sure I can slightly move in the air closer to the center of the platform. I'm scared to death of overshooting everything because they turned it into a shitty NES platformer where if you don't land dead center you will die.

Did crash always have a turn rate? I don't remember you getting turned around if you fall and clip something, like I jump straight, land but I'm facing backwards.

The God

I might murder someone.

The end of Stormy Ascent, with the three fast moving platforms(after the test tube dude) -- I can't land those jumps. So rage-inducing.

farisr

I might murder someone.

The end of Stormy Ascent, with the three fast moving platforms(after the test tube dude) -- I can't land those jumps. So rage-inducing.
My advice. Just worry about landing on the first platform and then take it slow. When the platform starts going in, jump. Keep holding left, don't let go, and keep on doing full jumps one after the other until you've made it. It may not look like it, but you should make it. (only with full jumps though, if you do shorter jumps the timing may be different)

I might murder someone.

Wait until the absolute last moment to jump off the first platform. Then immediately jump off the second and the third.

This is the part with the two platforms that pop in and out at the same time, right?

Just need one more gold relic in Crash 2 to get the trophy. Just two more gems (need to find two more secret exits) and the 99 lives trophy for the platform.

Some of those relics are a real bitch. Don't know how the hell anyone gets platinum relics. I got just one.

The God

My advice. Just worry about landing on the first platform and then take it slow. When the platform starts going in, jump. Keep holding left, don't let go, and keep on doing full jumps one after the other until you've made it. It may not look like it, but you should make it. (only with full jumps though, if you do shorter jumps the timing may be different)

Wait until the absolute last moment to jump off the first platform. Then immediately jump off the second and the third.

This is the part with the two platforms that pop in and out at the same time, right?
I did it.

Now what about the last 3 birds?

The God

Jump as the first bird is going away from you, keep holding left, adjust as necessary for the last bird. Fully held jumps.

oh my god

you and Spring-Loaded are my heroes. I've been after that relic for hours and I finally got it. Fucking hell.

Thanks for those tips guys.

farisr

oh my god

you and Spring-Loaded are my heroes. I've been after that relic for hours and I finally got it. Fucking hell.

Thanks for those tips guys.
You're welcome. I just managed to get that one today as well after 2 hours last night, and more than 5 hours today. Messed up at the platforms once, and at the birds twice.

Just take a look at how slow I'm being at the end here. LOL. Wanted to make sure some weird BS didn't happen with me jumping at the wrong depth and missing the end.

https://youtu.be/NpilCJE-0ZE?t=233

I did it.

Now what about the last 3 birds?
I know you beat it, but for anyone still trying to beat it:

If you don't stop running (since he obstacles load in with certain timing), jump a fair bit before getting to the edge, hold X and don't stop holding left, you can make it.

I still don't know for sure about the timing, but I do know my best bet was to keep holding left. The hitboxes on the birds are really big, and every time I died on them, it was because I kept panicking and trying to correct in midair—I'd either miss or not get enough distance off the last bird. When I finally got the gold relic, I was looking away from the screen to keep myself from trying to fine tune the jumps.

jmartoine

Started Crash 2 today. Got to the fourth warp room and I have to say the difficulty decrease from Crash 1 has disappointed me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game but I would have preferred it to be more challenging like Crash 1 was.

However the changes to gems is an improvement. There is certainly less frustration collecting them than in Crash 1.

Top Bottom