• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever bought you the wrong game?

I got this

Gb0jpWb.jpg

from my Father instead of Street Fighter 2 (snes) for Christmas.

I didn't even know what to say - I think I didn't talk much for a whole month.

Also, I never even beat this game- it's vague and the combat was brutal .

NMFried

I got Battlestations: Midway instead of Battlefield: Bad Company and Call Of Duty 3 instead of Call Of Duty 4 in the same year.

Poppy

my mom bought me the expansion pack to dragon age on xbox one randomly despite the fact that i didn't own the base game

this isn't a complaint just in case anyone wants to jump on me for acting ungrateful

tbh i didnt even ask for the xbox in the first place, she just kind of...bought it for me

i guess because i dont like saying what i want for christmas because i dont like gifts

As a kid I thought Pokemon: Trading Card Game was a legit core Pokemon game(I didn't know English at the time). So needless to say I was pretty letdown when I popped it into my Gameboy, but over time I found it to be a pretty rad and fun game.

How did that happen vs Street Fighter? I think its happened a couple times to me but more so with different iterations, like I ended up with Assassins Creed II vs Brotherhood. I'm tough to shop for, for gaming stuff anyways.

I begged my mother for the Power Rangers video game on SNES. She brought home Link to the Past instead. Best mistake my mother ever made.

Leynos

latest

As for the question, I can't recall ever receiving the wrong game. My mother has always been very careful about getting us exactly what we asked for since we got so few games per year. She did, however, complain that RoboCop for the NES was $50 (which is the equivalent of $101 today.)

nates

Neo Member
All the time. Being an adult, now I realize why they might have missed the games I wanted. For one, most of the games that I did want for Christmas were popular and were probably gone by the time my parents got to the video game aisle.

But I think they were just trolling me.

Moofers

My girlfriend at the time bought me Def Jam: Vendetta for my birthday, not knowing anything about games and having asked the dude behind the counter at GameStop "which game is hot right now?". I don't even really like rap music or wrestling games.

Bless her heart, she tried.

Mezoly

Last month I was at Best Buy buying Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 because it was on discount but the cashier system wasn't showing the discount, so I used my phone to show the discount online and noticed I actually grabbed 2.8. Oops. So almost.

OniBaka

Nah, I do like gaming as a hobby but I don't like getting them as gifts which I usually tell my friends because I usually get what games I want at release.

aBarreras

My girlfriend at the time bought me Def Jam: Vendetta for my birthday, not knowing anything about games and having asked the dude behind the counter at GameStop "which game is hot right now?". I don't even really like rap music or wrestling games.

Bless her heart, she tried.

i mean, i dont like rap music that much nor wrestling games but def jam vendetta was awesome

also, i think im having a deja vu because i remeber saying this before, but none ever gave me a game (physical) as a present

Clockwork

How did that happen vs Street Fighter? I think its happened a couple times to me but more so with different iterations, like I ended up with Assassins Creed II vs Brotherhood. I'm tough to shop for, for gaming stuff anyways.

*parent gets to store*

"Hmm...he wants this Street Fighter game. Why is it $70?!? What about...hey...look over here...Drakkhen? Hmm and it is only $40? I think he likes dragons. Oh and adventure too!"

*tosses game in cart*

At least that's how I imagine shit like this happened in my family.

For some reason I mixed up Abe's Odyssey and Final Fantasy VIII as a kid. I wanted Abe's Odyssey, but asked for Final Fantasy VIII. And my parents got me Final Fantasy VII, which was the first RPG I ever tried. In the end, things worked out ok, lol

Justinh

I don't know if this counts, but my parents had a habit of getting me the sequel to games I wanted.

I really wanted Zelda when I was a kid, but got Zelda 2.

I really wanted Super Mario Bros 2, but got Super Mario Bros 3.

Nowadays I'm grateful, especially since I think there were like... shortages for Zelda II or something at the time? (living in the best timeline confirmed).

Five words only.

Crash Team Racing.....Pinball Machine. The crappy toy at dollar stores.

Edit: No I'm being so serious, Crash Team Racing pinball machine toys existed. Look:

latest

aett

I remember this happening twice. In 1999, I asked for Grandia on PSX and I got a Star Wars Episode 1 game along with the Grandia guide - my dad said that the store didn't have any copies of the actual Grandia game and I could return Star Wars for the store credit if I wanted. I told him that yeah, that was what I was going to do, and he was offended.

The other time actually worked out in my favor. I asked my grandma for Megaman X6 in 2001, but between asking for it and Christmas, I learned that it was possibly the worst MM game ever. Fortunately, she got me Megaman Battle Network for GBA. I didn't have a GBA at the time, but one of my friends did, and I ended up loving that game.

Qwyjibo

When I was young, I really wanted Bart's Nightmare for SNES but my parents bought me Krusty's Super Fun House instead.

I never showed it but I was disappointed. In the end it was actually the better game. A friend of mine ended up getting Bart's Nightmare later and I realized how bad and frustrating that game was.

Boney

Banned
Drakhen is pretty good at least. Probably couldnt find sf2 or was stupid expensive.

For me, when we went to buy our third N64 game with my older brother and me mom, we ended up choosing a compromise between us. We got the N64 that Christmas with Diddy Kong Racing and Goldeneye, and this was like 3 months after. I can't quite remember what game my brother wanted that I was vehemently against while I was pushing for Mischief Makers. A few minutes of bickering had my mom call us out on either we get something now for both or we'd leave. My brother picked up NBA Hang Time, my stomach tightened since it was just as bad a pick (but at least it has multiplayer) and we ended up going with it. It was actually pretty good, but way hard and needed a controller pack to save.

Oh right, one time I asked for Megaman X3 when my parents went for vacations and got Earthworm Jim 2 instead. I knew finding it was going to be hard and thus was a good replacement. My brother got a Gameboy Pocket though 😤

*parent gets to store*

"Hmm...he wants this Street Fighter game. Why is it $70?!? What about...hey...look over here...Drakkhen? Hmm and it is only $40? I think he likes dragons. Oh and adventure too!"

*tosses game in cart*

At least that's how I imagine shit like this happened in my family.

Hahaha, sounds about right. I think my mom shopped for games like that too when my brother and I were kids during the NES era. She'd buy these fraud sorta games nobody had ever heard of but then they became classics to us, stuff like Snake Rattle & Roll, Demon Sword, ect; probably the same rational went through her head. Oh well he smacked his brother with a plastic sword yesterday, I'll get them this and they can just play together.

I don't know if this counts, but my parents had a habit of getting me the sequel to games I wanted.

I really wanted Zelda when I was a kid, but got Zelda 2.

I really wanted Super Mario Bros 2, but got Super Mario Bros 3.

Nowadays I'm grateful, especially since I think there were like... shortages for Zelda II or something at the time? (living in the best timeline confirmed).

My parents did the same thing! They didn't realize games have stories of their own, and figured sequels were more like computer software (as in, just better versions of their predecessors).

It's how I got Sonic the Hedgehog 3 to go with that Genesis lmao

Scuffed

I got Wizards and Warriors as a kid for nes. I can't remember what I originally wanted but W&W turned out to be pretty good so I wasn't upset lol.

SlickVic

I'm not sure if this fully fits this thread, but I remember one time my cousin saw I played a lot of Tony Hawk 3 on the PS2, so for my birthday my aunt got me a PS1 copy of THPS1. It was a nice gesture, but don't think I ever opened it (played a lot of that game before on a friend's N64) and ultimately think it just got lost while moving.

If I asked my parents for a game, they were really good about getting the right one though.

The original New Super Mario Brothers game for the Nintendo DS hadn't come out yet, and child-me couldn't remember the release date. However, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time had been released recently.

So I called up Gamestop:

"Hi, has the New Super Mario Brothers game come out yet?"
"Yes, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

I was a bit confused by this. I was pretty sure Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time was an RPG, and I hated RPGs. I wanted a platformer. So I responded:

"No, I mean the New Super Mario Brothers game."
"Um... yeah, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time."

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, so I figured Nintendo must have changed the name from New Super Mario Brothers to Partners in Time, or something like that. I asked my parents to drive me to gamestop, and bought the game for $35, which was a lot of money for me at the time.

Suffice to say, I was not happy. 😡

The Christmas I got my N64 I asked for Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. I got Mario 64, Killer Instinct Gold and Star Wars Shadows of the Empire. Not the worst substitutions. Hell, I probably would've asked for KI Gold if I knew it existed.

Bomberman Hero later on was also a substitution but I don't remember what it replaced.

I wanted Devil May Cry 3 back years ago for Christmas and my parents got me the first one. I already owned it lol. I didn't have the heart to tell them it was the wrong game, so to this day I still have 2 copies of the first dmc and never did play dmc3 lol

Boney

Banned
Not the same but on another Christmas we got Mortal Kombat 4 and freakin Chopper Attack for our N64. Absolutelydisgusting.gif

Drakhen is pretty good at least. Probably couldnt find sf2 or was stupid expensive.

Funny you say that- since a couple of years went by and I discovered rpgs , like secret of mana,ffVI. But whenever you don't know anything about RPGS and you are used to Mario and street fighter , RPG just SUCK!

It's like that mom that played FFXV, nothing makes sense, where is my party , why cant I see them all the time, why do I have to talk so much, where do I go, why am I auto fighting?

Cess007

I once bought FIFA for PS3 when I intended to buy the PS4 version. Playstation refunded me the money, and then decided to better use that money in other games lol

NorthernSpade

Neo Member
Nope, I usually showed my folks a picture of the boxart just to be sure they knew what to look for lol.

Though I did one time go into Gamestop and ask for Layton vs Ace Attorney and they gave me Miracle Mask instead lol. Didn't realize it until I was in the car.

Justinh

My parents did the same thing! They didn't realize games have stories of their own, and figured sequels were more like computer software (as in, just better versions of their predecessors).

It's how I got Sonic the Hedgehog 3 to go with that Genesis lmao

Yeah, I always figured they went "Well this one's the "new one," it's probably better."
I did get all the Sonics though (Mean Bean and Spinball excepted). I remember wanting new Nintendo games for my birthday one year and they surprised me with a Genesis with Sonic 1. I didn't even know what a Genesis was! I think I remember being disappointed very briefly, lol, but that went away as soon as my friends and I started playing Sonic.

Man... I love my parents...

Porcile

When I was a kid I wanted some stupid Looney Tunes game on Game Boy Color, but my mum got me Wario Land 3 instead... Not bad at all.

Top Bottom