• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Mupod

PokéKong;238247661 said:
I just realized "Nintendo Switch Ver." is actually part of the title and they even put it on the box art, which seems super weird and unnecessarily at first, but it gives me the feeling that they are going to add some extra bits of content to this version. What do you think? Are we in for some goofy joke weapon "Switch Axe"? A super low defense t-shirt like Link got for his DLC?

they always called these up-ports 'HD ver' in the past.

I don't expect any content disparity from the 3DS version as it has cross-play. But you can definitely expect goofy joke weapons.

OMG Capcom, it's time to update the animations some day. I see some animations in the trailer that already were there in the PS2 games. It's surprising that after all these games and platforms are still there xDD.

Capcom is the master of "recycling" stuff: Mega Man, Morrigan's sprite....

I have no idea what specifically you're complaining about here, but they did re-do some older monster animations over the years.The improvements they made to Rathalos and Rathian in Tri were pretty massive but it was more about making them move more naturally and less like jerky robots. They aren't going to completely change the look of their attacks and movements because it'd be like changing Ryu's Shoryuken.

The overall standards for animations are far, far higher in the newer monsters. Gore Magala and Mizutsune were fascinating to look at despite the 3DS games looking like ass. It's just that after the reception to Tri's lack of content they had to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the series, and monsters like Gravios or Khezu didn't get the same treatment that Tigrex and the Raths did. So they still look and move mostly like their PS2 selves. Khezu even does his weird stare when he's low hp.

We are definitely due for another jump in fidelity like we saw with Tri, and I'm expecting this with 5. But dropping down to 20 monsters from the 90+ in this game would be even more jarring.

Do people really think this will sell that well in Japan? The core of the MH fanbase tehre already has XX on the 3DS for a while, will most of them really jump on this because it has higher res? The best case scenario I can see is people buying it wor Splatoon and some of them might go: Eh, why not, now that i got the console already might as well pick up MH for it.

Yeah

MHXX didnt sell as well as the peak of the series. SO there are plenty of people to sell the game to

Also the Switch is hot and can barely keep stock in. Im sure it will do just fine but since its a port this game doesnt have the potential that MH5 does

get a circle pad pro or hunter grip and stop whining.
MH on WiiU and 3DS is exactly the same game.

Except for the fact that one has much improved resolution on a big screen, the ability to chat online and you don't need to buy additional gadgets just to enjoy the same level of comfort, right? Right. You'll be very happy to know that I'll stop my unbearable, incessant whining now that I get to play the superior version on Switch though, so all is very well indeed.

Eolz

Do people really think this will sell that well in Japan? The core of the MH fanbase tehre already has XX on the 3DS for a while, will most of them really jump on this because it has higher res? The best case scenario I can see is people buying it wor Splatoon and some of them might go: Eh, why not, now that i got the console already might as well pick up MH for it.

This will sell well. 1M this year is possible.
Obviously not like the 3ds games, but it's made to start the userbase transition, with every feature to facilitate that.

The fact that it's happening before TGS is pretty telling imo.

Except for the fact that one has much improved resolution on a big screen, the ability to chat online and you don't need to buy additional gadgets just to enjoy the same level of comfort, right? Right. You'll be very happy to know that I'll stop my unbearable, incessant whining now that I get to play the superior version on Switch though, so all is very well indeed.

OMg its going to be so nice for these people to stop telling fans to eat shit

Switch is the MH community savior at this point. And yea ive been posting plenty of hyperbole but is that surprising given the discourse in MH topics over this past generation

Its been a LONG one. Of course people are emotional about it

Kouriozan

Obviously not like the 3ds games, but it's made to start the userbase transition, with every feature to facilitate that.

Next MH Switch game will be announced there no doubt.
Now to see if the PS4 game exist, then that one would be announced at E3.

m00h

Banned
Never played MH before, and they charging 60€ for that port means it probably won't become my entry game for that series. Maybe next time, with a proper Switch release.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
chris mentioned something interesting over media create thread

generally monhun titles on Nintendo comes out during Saturday (except for airou village dx)
Thursday is the standard release date in Japan with Saturday for selected big games. Taking out some holidays Friday started from this March only with Switch so that there is simultaneous worldwide launch.

Well, that's kinda the whole test with this. The Switch is the most obvious successor to the 3DS in Japan, so Capcom are obviously looking to build the base on which their audience can be convinced to transfer to that console. That XX's sales were below expectations can also - but doesn't necessarily - suggest that consumers may be getting a little tired of the series on the 3DS, so the move to more powerful hardware while losing no features (save the second screen) may be what they were waiting for. This is testing the waters before Capcom dives in deep with supporting the Switch.

Wamb0wneD

Let's hope NIntendo has the stock to actually support that transition. I would assume a lot of people will get pissed if they buy a Switch for this game and MH5 is PS exclusive tho, lol.

Well, that's kinda the whole test with this. The Switch is the most obvious successor to the 3DS in Japan, so Capcom are obviously looking to build the base on which their audience can be convinced to transfer to that console. That XX's sales were below expectations can also - but doesn't necessarily - suggest that consumers may be getting a little tired of the series on the 3DS, so the move to more powerful while losing no features (save the second screen) may be what they were waiting for. This is testing the waters before Capcom dives in deep with supporting the Switch.

Right, that all makes sense. But the fact that a lot of MH fans in Japan already have the game might be a hindrance to that deep Switch support. Since sales might not be what Capcom expects. (I mean, it's Capcom. So as always).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Is this really going to be as big a seller as people are claiming? I thought tv gaming in japan was really dwindling? If that's the case then isn't this just a slightly better looking version of a game many of them will have already played?

Nintendo's going to pay people to buy all of them, and pay them to post on twitter about how they love this game as advertisement. This is all part of their artificial scarcity plan

Mentioned in the other thread that they needed to put some work in for improved gfx, however the res boost alone makes the game look much much better. Especially in those comparison screens.

Right, that all makes sense. But the fact that a lot of MH fans in Japan already have the game might be a hindrance to that deep Switch support. Since sales might not be what Capcom expects. (I mean, it's Capcom. So as always).

Oh aye, hence I say test. Capcom will definitely need to keep expectations reasonable. XX itself launched under a million, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version was under 500k. But that would still be decent for an upscaled port, and that would give them a community base they can use for reference while developing MH5 (assuming we don't get a shocking reveal for the PS4 at E3). This should be a foundation more than anything else.

bomblord1

Banned
Why do all monster hunter games running at higher resolutions have that weird haze around the edges of everything? It makes it look lower res than it actually is.

Monster Hunter 3 in dolphin had it
Monster Hunter 3 Ulitmate had it as well
And now this has it

JoeFu

Banned
Every monster hunter thread....

Anyways, I can't wait for this. Playing on a TV again is going to be so nice. Love that they confirmed the MHX save transfer too. The early grind can drag on too long...

NeonZ

Why are people so sure the next mainline entry is coming out on PS4?

A combination of the 4chan rumor and this official comment

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305643
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales being lower in the West compared to Japan, but it's explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

Of course, it only makes sense if people instantly go "Switch doesn't count".

FinalAres

So was the 3DS not quite proper wide-screen? The screenshots have black bars!

Also is Monster Hunter Xx a core entry or an upgraded version of X or something? Do we expect Monster Hunter 5 or 6 to follow?

opricnik

Banned
That's the only thread I can find for the PS4 rumor and it was conformed fake.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1365238

Some guy said months ago MH XX coming to switch also monster hunter portable line coming back with switch.

monster 5 is ps4/pc exclusive no nintendo specifically said by Sony , just like no xbox for SF5. Dumb down combat,qte's etc made for western audience likely at e3 or psx?

monster hunter portable line for switch , mhxx ported quickly to gather userbase around.

Mentioned in the other thread that they needed to put some work in for improved gfx, however the res boost alone makes the game look much much better. Especially in those comparison screens.

Oh yeah

The TV commercial on youtube has some good shots and Im very happy

We all knew a port wasnt going to be the showcase for the future anyways

Oregano

Some guy said months ago MH XX coming to switch also monster hunter portable line coming back with switch.

monster 5 is ps4/pc exclusive no nintendo specifically said by Sony , just like no xbox for SF5. Dumb down combat,qte's etc made for western audience likely at e3 or psx?

monster hunter portable line for switch , mhxx ported quickly to gather userbase around.

As I've said repeatedly that rumour said MHXX would be a Switch LAUNCH game. Which it obviously isn't. MHXX getting a Switch version was something half of GAF expected too.

That doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the rumour but it's not being proven at all

A combination of the 4chan rumor and this official comment

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305643

Of course, it only makes sense if people instantly go "Switch doesn't count".

The Switch does count, but they're obviously not talking about the Switch in that statement. Not only because it wasn't out then, but it's success in the west as a game console was still up in the air. Because of that, it wouldn't make sense for them to make said statement and be talking about Nintendo Switch. But I digress, I'm starting to sound like a broken record to some no doubt.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The Switch does count, but they're obviously not talking about the Switch in that statement. Not only because it wasn't out then, but it's success in the west as a game console was still up in the air. Because of that, it wouldn't make sense for them to make said statement and be talking about Nintendo Switch. But I digress, I'm starting to sound like a broken record to some no doubt.

I think a PS4 game is coming. It might even be called MH5.

But Switch is clearly going to get the "traditional" Japanese-focused entries judging by last night.

You don't get much more clear table setting for the future than last night.

Kyzer

Banned
Whatever MH5s graphics end up looking like, I have a feeling it will be able to run on the switch as well. Doubt it will be the leap anyone is hoping for, it never is

JoeFu

Banned
Why are people talking about a game that doesn't exist? Make a thread for it... Can't people just be happy that a port is coming to the Switch?

Eolz

because the leaks somehow have been proven right, and it actually makes sense if the contract was signed in 2015

"The leaks" had a port of XX planned for Switch at launch, which didn't happen, and wasn't particularly difficult to guess after what happened with 3U. Which is something most people in media create threads were saying.
The "contract" in detail is about as ridiculous as that 3DS exclusive contract.

We'll see at TGS I guess, but there's nothing really plausible in that rumor. Be it Sony being interested in Japan and MonHun, Capcom believing it'd be a good idea in 2015, or Nintendo discovering that recently.

edit:
Why are people talking about a game that doesn't exist? Make a thread for it... Can't people just be happy that a port is coming to the Switch?

Same thing happened in the previous thread, happens in every thread since the franchise is on Nintendo consoles, and since there's a new rumour about a big game coming to another Sony console, of course it'll keep happening...

Oregano

Just because it wasn't out yet doesn't mean that wasn't part of the plan. Iwata talked about divergent tastes in regards to console and handheld over two years ago and how NX was aiming to please both markets. If Capcom's CEO had faith in that strategy it would be plausible to be referring to Switch.

Especially in light of the fact that MHXX Switch version is releasing on a Friday which is unusual for a Japanese but follows the pattern of Switch games which have gotten worldwide simualtenous releases.

faridmon

That actualy looks an improvement over the awful looking 3DS game. They didn't even have visible grass textures. At least this one does that.

marmoka

Banned
I think MH5 could be on Switch and PS4. One version for handheld lover, and another for home-console lovers.

But being a portable game makes more sense. It's always been portable, cheap to develop, bringing benefits,... A PS4 exclusive version that exploits all PS4 power would be very expensive, unless they do a game that looks like a PS2 game in HD.

Syril

I think MH5 could be on Switch and PS4. One version for handheld lover, and another for home-console lovers.

But being a portable game makes more sense. It's always been portable, cheap to develop, bringing benefits,... A PS4 exclusive version that exploits all PS4 power would be very expensive, unless they do a game that looks like a PS2 game in HD.
Yeah I certainly wouldn't want it to end up like the other games where the company is like "we need it to sell 5 million copies to break even" or something.

I think a PS4 game is coming. It might even be called MH5.

But Switch is clearly going to get the "traditional" Japanese-focused entries judging by last night.

You don't get much more clear table setting for the future than last night.

Yeah, I have no doubt that MH games are coming to Switch in the future beyond MHXX. That's just common sense really. I just think that it won't stay tied to Nintendo platforms forever, which is something that a lot of people still seem to think will be the case, especially after yesterday's announcement.

Just because it wasn't out yet doesn't mean that wasn't part of the plan. Iwata talked about divergent tastes in regards to console and handheld over two years ago and how NX was aiming to please both markets. If Capcom's CEO had faith in that strategy it would be plausible to be referring to Switch.

Especially in light of the fact that MHXX Switch version is releasing on a Friday which is unusual for a Japanese but follows the pattern of Switch games which have gotten worldwide simualtenous releases.

I feel you're reaching a bit here but we'll see what happens.

I think we know how these Monster Hunter PS4 rumors will play out.

"Monster Hunter is moving to PS4! No more 240p!"

*Monster Hunter XX announced for Nintendo Switch*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until E3! It's for the west!"

*Monster Hunter XX for Nintendo Switch announced for western release at E3 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until TGS! MH5, only on PS4!"

*Monster Hunter 5 for Nintendo Switch announced later in 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until next year! This will be the REAL series!"

*Monster Hunter spinoff for PlayStation 4 using assets from previous MH titles finally announced*

Eolz

If it releases this year, expect a E3 announcement. Just hope both versions are localized,

There would be a point for the 3DS version to come to the west as well, for more sales obviously, but also due to Stories being localized, and the cross-play feature.
I think Capcom could go both ways though, since you can transfer your save from X to XXS.

deadfolk

I must be missing something because I've not seen anyone else mention this yet, but...

If there's save transfer from 3DS, doesn't that imply that cloud saves on Switch are coming sooner rather than later? Or how else could they implement this?

I must be missing something because I've not seen anyone else mention this yet, but...

If there's save transfer from 3DS, doesn't that imply that cloud saves on Switch are coming sooner rather than later? Or how else could they implement this?

Wirelessly..
Should just need an update to add Transfarring™ to the 3DS version if it's not already there.

Eolz

Not really.
There was save transfer for 3DS<->WiiU, and it was just a separate software you had to install on 3DS, then done wirelessly.

That said, Reggie seems to be aware of people asking for cloud saves, and the online service has still not been detailed...
Unrelated issues.

marmoka

Banned
I think we know how these Monster Hunter PS4 rumors will play out.

"Monster Hunter is moving to PS4! No more 240p!"

*Monster Hunter XX announced for Nintendo Switch*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until E3! It's for the west!"

*Monster Hunter XX for Nintendo Switch announced for western release at E3 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until TGS! MH5, only on PS4!"

*Monster Hunter 5 for Nintendo Switch announced later in 2017*

"Monster Hunter PS4 is still coming! Just wait until next year! This will be the REAL series!"

*Monster Hunter spinoff for PlayStation 4 using assets from previous MH titles finally announced*

Pretty sure.

This E3 will be interesting. If they reveal MH5 exclusive for PS4, internet will burn. If they don't, and just reveal the western release of MHXX for Switch, internet will burn as well.

If they announce MH5 for both consoles, not surprising for me really, there will be many butthurts too.

Top Bottom