• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nidhogg 2 review thread

MikeBison

Having initially been "ewwww" at the art style. And *sensible chuckle* "they ruined that".

I watched GB quick look today and it looks fantastic in motion. Loads of style. Great animation.

I absolutely love how this game looks, much more appealing to me than the original. I really respect the devs for doing such a 180 in the look for their sequel. The style only makes me more interested in this one.

I hate almost everything about this game and actually ended up refunding it on steam. The art style is grotesque on its own but it’s also far too busy and often makes it hard to see the player characters which is not an issue I want to have while playing nidhogg.

The game also feels much sloppier than the original, combine that with the nerf to dive kick and it becomes a much less fun game to play.

I guess I can somehow understand people liking the look of it but I’m surprised more people aren’t complaining about how it plays. The original is one of my favorite competitive games and it felt like an instant classic while this game feels like a poorly conceived sequel.

meerak

Wait the single player offerings are bad?

Shit on this game forever right?

Right?

Isn't that what we want to do?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Purchased played it and loved it. It will get repurchased on switch so I can show to people. It has that immediacy that is great but there is some skill there, Christ I suck with the bow

Grakl

The bow is godlike for spawn killing

I'm happy they nerfed divekick, it was broken

Seems like cartwheeling is worse which sucks. Otherwise excellent game, love the music and style.

Whats it like being an arm chair business man?

Considerably more confortable that being a standing up business man.

Since you may have lost the plot (can't blame you, it's been a back and forth between a lot of people), the original statement was that "the backlash is the dev's intention". Now, sure, no such thing as bad publicity, but I don't think one needs an MBA to declare such a statement from another GAFer to be debatable, and indeed to debate it.

That's also how trolling works: bringing up the topic you claim not wanting to be brought up.
I wasn't suggesting I didn't want it brought up, just that from experience the art style will be a divisive issue that will probably see a lot of discussion. If I wanted to troll I'd have just lit the fuse with "lol, ruined the game with this trash art style".

- -

Saw the Giant Bomb quick look on it recently and it looks far better than it did in development with the lighting effects, not that I minded how everything looked back then but it's really impressive how they've create such an 'ugly' but cohesive art style. The blood effects are the cherry on top for me.

Also as Jeff said: best title screen in forever.

Goldboy

Game seems great. As someone who loathes the art style I'm still on the fence, although I do admire that the devs are taking a risk with it and going with something unique and bizarre.

PS4 matchmaking has been patched and the game is a fucking blast.

Some of y'all really need to get over whatever hangups you have with the visuals and hop in. It's really, really good.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So how is the online? Easy to find a match?
I played last night, couple failures to match and a couple of long matching times but the game played amazing, 8/10.

The level with a castle and flames at final screen seemed to be lag city on the flame screen which was weird, maybe my partner had a bullshit computer, but it went into slomo. Rest of the game played like it was a local opponenl

RPS37

Watched the Quick Look for this today and had to go out and buy a second PS4 controller and this tonight.

Sheroking

It sold 700k on steam alone, not counting sales on all other platforms. Hardly 'so niche'.

That's not a very impressive number, particularly as a budget title that's featured in years of steam sales.

It's in my Steam library and I've barely touched it.

pakkit

Banned
I'm gonna wait for a price drop and for online to get stabilized, but I'm keeping my eye on it for sure. I do like the goofy visuals, and the soundtrack is, thankfully, just as alluring as the first one.

The ๖ۜBronx;246382884 said:
How come? Granted it will always be more fun to play with a friend but I think I'd still find online enjoyable for long enough to justify the price.

I like the online, but to me a lot of the fun in the game comes from feeling the push and pull as it builds and builds with the person next to you.

I suppose it could work online in a purely competitive sense, but that's not exactly what I come to the game for. More the hilarity in the chaos.

Sami+

Loved the first, not getting this because that's good enough and I hate the art style.

Fwiw I felt exactly the same about Runner 2 and I have no idea why both devs took such a weird leap.

I like the online, but to me a lot of the fun in the game comes from feeling the push and pull as it builds and builds with the person next to you.

I suppose it could work online in a purely competitive sense, but that's not exactly what I come to the game for. More the hilarity in the chaos.
Fair enough, thanks for explaining. Completely see what you mean, but as someone that - sadly - doesn't have much opportunity for couch gaming with others I don't think I can pass up the experience of the game (as someone who's new to it) for the price. I'm just hoping it hits the Switch, seems like a ridiculously perfect fit and would allow for the multiplayer times far more freely with people at work etc.

Nessus

Watched the Quick Look and bought it immediately afterwards. Loved the original, and the original always goes over well at the monthly barcade night I help host. I suspect this one will also.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't get enough of how repulsive this game looks. That title screen is a masterpiece.

I know right!? the game is fantastic. I had real fun playing it last night. Is there a blog where I can go port beg? cause I need this on a portable to take with.

Widge

Art reminds me of going from something like Vic20 to Amiga.

Amiga games were fairly distinctive in their art style and if you've not lived through it and have generally appreciated your retro art through the retellings of it across modern indie takes on console past, then it is probably quite jarring.

pfr

Amiga games were fairly distinctive in their art style and if you've not lived through it and have generally appreciated your retro art through the retellings of it across modern indie takes on console past, then it is probably quite jarring.
Heh, I was typing my take on it at the same time. Definitely an Amiga throwback.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
any tips on blocking high? I always put my sword above my head and take a thrown weapon to the face. shit's hard!

robot

Game is incredible. So many new strategies with the new weapons. Seem to be some hidden moves as well?

A little disappointed there are no end game stats or anything in a 2p Quickmatch. Game just boots you back to the map screen. Total match time, most used weapon, and stuff like that would've been cool to see.

AEREC

I know right!? the game is fantastic. I had real fun playing it last night. Is there a blog where I can go port beg? cause I need this on a portable to take with.

This game was meant for the switch, I will be shocked if it's not ported or at least announced before the end of the year. Also no OT for this game?

This game was meant for the switch, I will be shocked if it's not ported or at least announced before the end of the year. Also no OT for this game?

It's cool to hate it, so no. :D If anything the GB quick look should be included in the OP, if it ever happens.

AEREC

I wasn't a big fan of the art style when it was first shown, but I actually like it now. It's definitely unique.

Snagret

Having initially been "ewwww" at the art style. And *sensible chuckle* "they ruined that".

I watched GB quick look today and it looks fantastic in motion. Loads of style. Great animation.
Same. I wasn't a huge fan of the googly eyes or weird bodies at first, but (much like the first game) the entire aesthetic package comes together in a really awesome way once you actually have the game in front of you. If you just looked at screenshots of the first game it might not look that impressive either, a lot of the style and personality is in the way the characters and background art move. The soundtrack is also killer.

I've not been a fan of the new graphics since they were announced.

However, last night I played Nidhogg 2 at a friends place. It's great and I don't mind the graphics at all. The only critique is that sometimes on the later screens of a level the background being a little bit lacking in contrast and almost swallowing up the player sprites (which I think is a conscious design decision).

The new weapons and modifications to existing weapons also adds a lot to the gameplay,

Great stuff.

1upsuper

I've not been a fan of the new graphics since they were announced.

However, last night I played Nidhogg 2 at a friends place. It's great and I don't mind the graphics at all. The only critique is that sometimes on the later screens of a level the background being a little bit lacking in contrast and almost swallowing up the player sprites (which I think is a conscious design decision).

The new weapons and modifications to existing weapons also adds a lot to the gameplay,

Great stuff.
Yep. I wish more people would get over their dramatized disgust and play it. It's a good game. I like that it's sort of like Divekick in that it's simple and quick to learn and allows for lots of mind games without all the inaccessibility of fighting games. Though I really do miss the character animations from 1. The ragdolly movements here just aren't good.

Every match I've had so far on PS4 has been somewhat laggy. I hope it's tuned some more, I did read it uses a type of rollback netcode.

Playing it for a review and not digging it super much. The game is just as fun and the weapons are neat, but the visuals are distracting. It feels like Nidhogg 2 was a response to the first game's beautiful simplicity by having a visually chaotic design. A lot of people seem to love it, which is great, but it's just so jarring for me. I like that you can make a female Nidhogg, but I wish you could also choose the voices.

Top Bottom