• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think we cann all agree on this one : The new E3 is a disaster

farnham

Banned
1. No surprises from any of the 3 companies

New announcements

MS : Viva Pinata party animal, Scene it..... thats pretty much it
Nintendo : wii fit, Mario Party, Advance wars DS 2 and mario kart
Sony : Infamous, Echo Crome, new PSP model

Press conferences

MS : Showing up this years lineup .. In short we all know about this!
Nintendo : Showing up the Wiis success.. And Wii Fit
Sony : Basically the same as MS.. but overall better presented

2. Way too late...

I mean July cmon... Of course people are going to focus on the holiday season.. its like 2 month in the future.. they have to ...

In May they can afford to focus on stuff for the next year since they have enough time to show off their holiday games in their dedicated events sometime later in the year...

With E3 beeing in July they need to focus on whats going on two month later rather then what is comming next year..

Okay we already know some stuff of 2008.. like Alan Wake, Mario Kart Wii and Killzone 2 as well as MGS 4... but beyond that..? Seriously Nintendo is not going to publish one game in 2008.. unless they are crazy...

3. Press only

There is a certain athmosphere of E3 that gets people excited... And that athmosphere was completely gone this year.. Remember E 3 2004 when Zelda came out.. or E3 2005 when Killzone 2 was announced.. or E3 2006 with the huge Wii lines...

None of this will happens this time and yeah thats why the three companies wont show us anything new...

There is no mainstream media coverage as the biggest thing happening to the gaming population like in E3 2006.. Its just a big ol meh event with enthusiast press people bitching about gaming not beeing like they are used to it..

So yeah.. with all this the excitement is gone.. E3 is boring and even GDC this year had more surprises (Home and LBP)

Lakitu

st5fu
Obviously a shadow of the former years, who cares? We got new media for games that we care about, so what if there weren't any surprise announcements? They will come eventually.

Mato

I had forgotten E3 was coming up, so it's all good to me. Besides we got new (great!) RE5 footage so it's cool.

X26

Banned
I thought it and the GAF meltdown it produced were fun as hell. Sure the carnival atmosphere is gone as are the booth babes, but as someone who has never gone all I really care about is seeing new game footage (and XBL demos) and E3 is delivering on that.

I think it's awesome really. Not the sheer spectacle but some sweet games have been finally revealed. I'm satisfied personally and I was one of the naysayers of the new format.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah the conferences weren't that great, but... does it matter? I mean right after all the conferences were done there was this explosion of awesome game media and impressions here on GAF and I didn't know which thread to click first. Seriously this is all complaining for nothing. The good games are still there.

Mojovonio

Banned
I mean, I can understand MS not showing any 2008 games, cause that's what X07 is for, but it was such a lame conference.

Sony was probably the best one, but even then, they marginally made me want to get a PS3 right away. I'll probably still wait till Nov-Dec.

Nintendo, oh god Nintendo, but who cares, they'll still sell billions of Wiis.

Borys

Banned
As a PC gamer I found the MS conference pretty good. Gears and Pinata for my Windows? Cool.

As a Sony gamer, well, I don't usually play FPSes on my consoles so I wasn't WOWZERED by Killzone 2. Also no God of War 3 was a MAJOR bummer. Little Big Planet rules.

As a Nintendo gamer - no Zelda = no fun, Mario was excellent, though. Metroid Prime 3 is some kind of a joke. Manga Samus? GTFO.

Yoboman

And you people have obviously forgotten what E3 was like last gen before the focus shifted to new hardware announcements for E3. At this period of each product's life cycle it's no surprise that E3 won't be heavy on NEW announcements, but focused on what they already have going for them with their software catalogues

Salazar

It's still going. I'm over the moon with some of what I've seen, interested in quite a few of the announcements (far off as some of them may be), and not entirely ruling out the possibility of something (Indy, Project Offset, something more on Fable 2) coming to push things along a bit.

Hell, I still haven't seen the Mass Effect demonstration everyone says is wow. Nothing is disastrous until I've watched that, and watched it again like an automaton of desire.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
1. I enjoyed most of Sony's conference and elements of Microsoft's. The only real disaster from my perspective was Nintendo's conference.

2. I don't really see how the time has affected anything -- all three companies showed their upcoming software lineup, the same as they would have in May.

3. I'm not currently a games journalist, but I'd imagine that the tighter admission is making it easier for those folks to do their jobs. More power to that.

Yoboman

Borys said:
As a PC gamer I found the MS conference pretty good. Gears and Pinata for my Windows? Cool.

As a Sony gamer, well, I don't usually play FPSes on my consoles so I wasn't WOWZERED by Killzone 2. Also no God of War 3 was a MAJOR bummer. Little Big Planet rules.

As a Nintendo gamer - no Zelda = no fun, Mario was excellent, though. Metroid Prime 3 is some kind of a joke. Manga Samus? GTFO.
You were expecting God of War 3? Jesus, have some patience - God of War 2 just came out 6 months ago and God of War CoF was just revealed not long ago

Nintendo delivered a lot AFTER the conference. Smash, Mario and Metroid look hot has never before. Mario Kart Wii has been unveilled and a lot of other games like Umbrella Chronicles or Zack and Wii or Soul Calibur Legends seems pretty good.

But I agree that this E3 lacks of surprises. I'm disappointed, but not that disappointed, because of the downgraded E3.

It was inevitable.

farnham

Banned
Yoboman said:
Sony was great.

Better then

599 us dollars

Riiiiiidgee racer

and giant enemy crabs

MUCH MUCH better

Yoboman said:
Disaster if you're a Nintendo fan though.

Uh not really

a huge step backwards

but it was intended to show only one game which is wii fit and looks awesome

They could have shown more mario more kart more layton more smash and more metroid but they cramped it up in 10 minutes and the rest was all about wii fit

Triumph

Banned
Yoboman said:
Sony was great. Disaster if you're a Nintendo fan though.
It was only a disaster for a minute, before someone told them that OMG PROFITS! PLAY THESE PROFITS!

Also, people, please. Wii fit is not a game.

Laurent

This is the first year where I can actually get my hands on quality video footage with ease, and I am not sure if it has to do with media websites being better, having greater bandwidth, or the fact that this E3 is smaller and later in the year...

The fact that everyone in the industry was waiting for a particular week in May to reveal most of their year's secret project was horrible IMO for websites and forums life GAF; the flood of news was particulary low the rest of the year... This E3 doesn't solve this.

Mojovonio

Banned
justjohn said:
sony's was alright as was ms

Sony's was the closest to being alright, but MS was just all around bad. From Moore ****ing up rock band to "P P P P P P Project Gotham Racing 4".

E3 was E3, just crappier.

People also set up their own stupid expectations.

Like "well games we've seen before don't count" ... I mean seriously, does that even make sense?

E3 is for the retail community first and foremost and supposed to highlight the games that are coming out in the next fall/winter/spring. You should be happy you even get to watch these conferences, back in the day before E3, there was CES and you got shit but an EGM/Nintendo Power 2 months later telling you what happened on a couple of pages.

farnham

Banned
yoboman said:
And you people have obviously forgotten what E3 was like last gen before the focus shifted to new hardware announcements for E3. At this period of each product's life cycle it's no surprise that E3 won't be heavy on NEW announcements, but focused on what they already have going for them with their software catalogues.

lets go back to E3 2002

- Sony showed off Socom and Sly for the first time ever
- MS showed Xbox Live for the first time with some crappy titles but whatever
- Nintendo showed Zelda WW, Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventure and Metroid Prime for the first time PLAYABLE (they announced those games earlier in video form though)

so yeah your argument falls flat..

E3 2007 is worse then E3 2003

its
NOTHING NEW AT ALL

RaijinFY

I think people are paying too much attention to conferences. I didnt watch a single one, just waited the media to appear.

Sony's was good, Nintendo not too bad with Mario Kart, Microsoft seemed very lackluster.

Will wait to see the full extent of the E3 previews... Press only is a good thing if it means they have more time with games to write previews on.

goompapa

The new E3 format doesn't suck. The new Nintendo suck ! No format could've made their show bearable. If you think they are holding back some supersecret uber games that will wow the sh1t out us all, you are in for a rude awakening.

As for MS and Sony, I don't feel anything different in comparison to previous years.

big_z

Microsoft and Nintendo basically focused on what they have coming out before the end of the year so they were boring. I think microsoft had a better show since there's more quality software overall than nintendo for this year but 3 AAA pieces of software isn't too bad for the end of wiis first year. Nintendo should have shown/announced more upcoming software than spending time masturbating to their own success with clips from youtube/news channels.

Sony on the other hand while not pulling out any major surprises are at least starting to show that the system is worth owning so i think they had the best show.

Borys

Banned
farnham said:
lets go back to E3 2002

- Nintendo showed Zelda WW, Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventure and Metroid Prime for the first time PLAYABLE (they announced those games earlier in video form though)

What kind of argument? I didn't make any.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
farnham said:
MS : Viva Pinata party animal, Scene it..... thats pretty much it + Disney deal + first real RE5 footage
Nintendo : wii fit, Mario Party, Advance wars DS 2 and mario kart
Sony : Infamous, Echo Crome, new PSP model + NCSoft announcement + EveryDay Shooter (even if it was 'announced' on the PSN afterward ;) + UT3 announcement + Home announcements..we could include some others, but I guess they were practically confirmed before, like Wipeout HD and Haze announcement etc.

Fixed a little ;)

Also, Sony and MS's conferences were not basically the same. MS focussed almost entirely on 2007, while Sony didn't even show off everything they have coming in 2007, but balanced that with a few more 08 titles. And both had different content to show as per their exclusive games.

EctoPrime

I have seen barely any coverage of this years E3 on CNN, BBC World or any of the other cable news channels, only one of the local tv news programs had any footage and the best I saw was on CNBC with four minutes.

DSWii60

No this year's E3 was brilliant. Haven't you heard of this amazing, revolutionary new game called Wii Fit...

*Looks at GAF's collective face when he mentioned Wii Fit and runs*

Sony had to show the most because they're the most under the gun.

Back when Sony was dominant, their E3 shows were clinical and dull as hell with lots of charts/graphs and a pretty strict focus on games coming out for that immediate holiday season. No big megaton announcements.

farnham

Banned
DSWii60 said:
No this year's E3 was brilliant. Haven't you heard of this amazing new game called Wii Fit...

*Looks at GAF's collective face when he mentioned Wii Fit and runs*
yes that is one big announcement..

we can be sure that this game will sell millions of copies and i will definately check it out day one..

but thats one game... (Mario Kart makes two... did MS announce anything new.. All i saw was a Halowars gameplay monatage... which got me excited btw..)

Yoboman

farnham said:
lets go back to E3 2002

E3 2007 is worse then E3 2003

its
NOTHING NEW AT ALL
So wait. How is that supposed to be any better?

Killzone and Infamous alone are equal to that. Then we have that GT5 was revealed, Wipeout HD, new PSN content, new PSP hardware, Home fleshed out etc.

Microsoft showed Halo 3 for the first time ever, CoD4 was playable etc. They weren't great though

Nintendo failed in the eyes of the hardcore gamers because their initiatives are completely different now. Nintendo failing is not because E3 is downscaled. They would've done the same if E3 hadn't changed at all

Alcibiades

Big time disaster...

the audiences at the press conferences were way too dead... instead of cheering Reggie's announcements like in the past or laughing at jokes, it was almost complete silence... the audience was more responsive to the Wii Fit segment... also, Iwata gave a powerful speech and still no reaction... what the audience needed was an above-sign like in talk shows so they would know when to react...

The lack of announcements from Microsoft and Nintendo for 2008 and beyond is probably because they don't feel threatened by Sony right now, so there is little need (strategically) to give away info. while a competitor is watching... Sony had greater reason to as they had something to prove, but even then, they've probably saved better stuff for their own events and TGS...

overall, yes the show sucks, and will hopefully be cancelled next year... I'd rather have nothing than this (although a return to what it used to be would be awesome)... sorta like CES (which many journalists, retailers, & companies hate), the media frenzy and grandeur of the event is quite symbolic for the industry, and is important despite the craziness...

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
It wasn't all that horrible, except for microsofts presentation, and nintendo presentation, and sonys presentation.

Top Bottom