• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think we cann all agree on this one : The new E3 is a disaster

MC Safety

Oh, stop. What you call electricity, camaraderie, and geeking out was really a lot of big-titted models jumping around to impress sweaty fannerds amid a series of poorly arranged and warring sound systems.

The old E3 was a trainwreck. No offense to Hideo Kojima, but it needed to die.

They'll find a new format that works. Or the industry will opt to do away with the event entirely. Either way, I think we'll all be able to make it just fine...

Oh, and Kojima had guys to push the nerds away...

John Harker said:
I actually agree.
(This has nothing to do with the fact I'm in my hotel with a hangover b/c of the GS party last night, heh)

The place is just totally souless. The whole area is lifeless, there is no electricity in the air. No one really knows whats going on, everything is all disjointed and disconnected. No huge sense of commradarie like I used to feel, no random throngs of people just sitting around and geeking out. Too many people seemingly feeling the need to 'be on their best behavoir' because this year 'games is serious buisness' or some crap.

Best line I've heard so far was when I was at the Konami press conference and Hideo Kojima simply says...
"I want my E3 back!!"

/thunderous applause

ziran

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Ok. Calm down. I agree about most of the thigs you say AFTER the conference, but the conference of E3 2006 for Nintendo was one of the best ever.
Simply Nintendo has done a different conference, adressing itself to casual player instead of the hardcore. This last category got TONS of great stuff AFTER the conference.

The rest I agree: Mario is stunning. Metroid looks hot. Smash...is Smash. Mario Kart was a nice news. Maybe I'm disappointed about the DS: no new games from Nintendo (but this doesn't mean that they dropped the ball. Simply they're not pressed !!!).
I'm not saying the Nintendo Press Conference was the best ever, though it was everything I expected it to be, I'm saying the reactions to it have been amazing! And loads of funny to read through.

In terms of actual games I care about being released over the next 6 months, this E3 has probably been the best I've ever witnessed (via the internet). So many incredible titles, so many awesome impressions, so many must haves, it's been brilliant! :D

EDIT-
However, Sony and MS still haven't shown anything I'd buy either system for, which is a shame because I've owned every home console since the NES.

TwinsDad

Borys said:
As a PC gamer I found the MS conference pretty good. Gears and Pinata for my Windows? Cool.

As a Sony gamer, well, I don't usually play FPSes on my consoles so I wasn't WOWZERED by Killzone 2. Also no God of War 3 was a MAJOR bummer. Little Big Planet rules.

As a Nintendo gamer - no Zelda = no fun, Mario was excellent, though. Metroid Prime 3 is some kind of a joke. Manga Samus? GTFO.

What do you mean no Zelda? Did you watch the same E3 conference that I did. They had a hands on demo of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass that was about 2-3 minutes long.

I agree with you on Sony, I don't care for FPS, so they had little other then LBP & EchoChrome for me to watch, but I'm interested in both.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
MC Safety said:
Oh, stop. What you call electricity, camaraderie, and geeking out was really a lot of big-titted models jumping around to impress sweaty fannerds amid a series of poorly arranged and warring sound systems.

They'll find a new format that works. Or the industry will opt to do away with the event entirely. Either way, I think we'll all be able to make it just fine...

Oh, and Kojima had guys to push the nerds away...

I'm not even talking about the showfloor, there is a distinct difference in having 60,000 people walking around the streets vs 6,000. E3 was always an LA takeover. Now, its like an afterthought. I always enjoyed coming out here for work and vacation. This year its just work.

Though, Santa Monica is a million times better than downtown LA. This area is fantastic.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Heres the timeline

Code:
Time:         Start---------press conferences--------------------Mass Effect Gamespot Demo--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End
Evaluation:   -----Terrible----------Wii Yoga? gtfo----------------HOLY SHIT AWESOME WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES, wait the show is still on? WHO CARES!

I don't think the new format is what made this year poor (although I hate not being able to go). It's more like last year, we got 2 years worth of announcements, and this year everything was just new footage of last year's announced games.

Triumph said:
It was only a disaster for a minute, before someone told them that OMG PROFITS! PLAY THESE PROFITS!

Also, people, please. Wii fit is not a game.

No, it's not. It's a lifestyle software with stylized mini-games thrown in to make it more enjoyable and give you more options.

But I'm waiting to see which developer gets clever first and integrates it into their snowboarding/skateboarding/surfboarding/skiing/etc. game. Balancing on a rail with a control stick? Weak. Doing it with a tilted Wii Remote? A little better. The game reading your physical balance and echoing it to your onscreen character (for fitting situations)? Pretty awesome, IMHO.

ToxicAdam

People around here have selective/short-term memory.

Lets go back to the ancient days of E3 2005 ..

MS - Recall their disaster of a conference where J Allard wearing a hoodie and a suit jacket and introduces the 360 and then proceeds to bring out the marketing bullshit (1 billion served, Velocity Girl, etc). Nothing groundbreaking in the way of announced games and barely any gameplay vids. The highlight was probably EA's highlight reel, which turned out to be all bullshots.

Sony - CG bullshot heaven and a rubber duckie simulator.

Ninty - NO information about the Revolution. A new redesigned DS and a spattering of Gamecube/DS releases. ZZZzzzzz

Then when you factor in the HYPE that went on before that show, it was amazingly disappointing. At least, with this year, we knew that E3 was going to be downgraded by a large degree.

linsivvi

So let me made this clear:

Microsoft showed all their big guns for the rest of the year.

Sony showed all the big guns for this and next year, including a Killzone 2 video that wow'ed everyone.

Nintendo showed Mario, Zelda, Metroid, SSMB and they are all coming this year.

Most of the noteable games appeared to have delivered on their promises.

Sum them all up and it becomes a disaster?

Armitage said:
The new format doesn't really dictate what the big three can show at their press conferences.

I was wondering if someone had said this.

The new E3 is actually better than I thought it would be. With proper coverage, it could be infinitely better than what it was this year. The lack of any big, interesting developments and the piss-poor coverage from G4 aren't really the fault of E3.

MC Safety said:

Kojima is just sad because the big-breasted American girls weren't a factor anymore :lol If I came all the way over from Japan, I'd expect to see some boobs too.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The reason there isn't cheering at these conferences is because nerds with "credentials" are not allowed in the show any more.

PkunkFury

seems lik every E3 to me

A few less surprises cause it's later in the year. Not as exciting as last year because no new consoles are being released, but still tons of games, impressions, media and release dates. This is what happens when all the companies hyped games releasing this winter a year and a half ago

shantyman said:
The reason there isn't cheering at these conferences is because nerds with "credentials" are not allowed in the show any more.

yup

Variable

I would be perfectly happy if E3 consisted of just the three major press conferences and maybe a few of the big name developer press conferences. The show floor stuff does not really interest me all that much.

Top Bottom