• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

Trying to improve my OTs, make them more concise etc.

Could somebody link me some of your favourite OTs so I could get some ideas?

Quick

Banned
Trying to improve my OTs, make them more concise etc.

Could somebody link me some of your favourite OTs so I could get some ideas?

I personally just looked at some of TheOddOne'S OTs. His are always good, very simple and straight to the point.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Can I claim FFXV OT2?

Izuna

Banned
I got juniored for trying to test this, but does anyone know why this is happening?

VnrOmsv.png

One the left (the T) is the colour I intend to upload, but then after posting it becomes the colour on the right.

I got juniored for trying to test this, but does anyone know why this is happening?

VnrOmsv.png

One the left (the T) is the colour I intend to upload, but then after posting it becomes the colour on the right.
What are you making these in? What file type? Host?

I have an idea but need at least the program youre using.

Quick

Banned

VnrOmsv.png

lol you got juniored for a test? Couldn't have done a Preview Post instead?

Testing procedure aside, did you maybe mess around with the text transparency? Though that doesn't solve the issue directly.

Izuna

Banned
What are you making these in? What file type? Host?

I have an idea but need at least the program youre using.

Photoshop, imgur

I put a silly amount of work into the OT2 I wanted to make for Titanfall and needed a way to test this.

The problem is that posts per page is going to be changing the background (and testing yourself is long since you need to log out and append the style id to get the dark theme).

lol you got juniored for a test? Couldn't have done a Preview Post instead?

Testing procedure aside, did you maybe mess around with the text transparency? Though that doesn't solve the issue directly.

Nah, couldn't have done it in preview, it was a darker shade.

--

I learned one thing from that thread actually (which should have been obvious) is that the anti-aliasing is another issue.

Photoshop, imgur

I put a silly amount of work into the OT2 I wanted to make for Titanfall and needed a way to test this.

The problem is that posts per page is going to be changing the background (and testing yourself is long since you need to log out and append the style id to get the dark theme).

Nah, couldn't have done it in preview, it was a darker shade.

--

I learned one thing from that thread actually (which should have been obvious) is that the anti-aliasing is another issue.
I've had the exact same problem with PS. I still don't fully understand the issue but it has something to do with PS not exporting to sRGB and not using an sRGB profile while editing. The problem is that you can fix this but it randomly resets itself. I haven't had this issue in years though so it could just be random.

Also I can help you post or finish up the OT if you want.

Izuna

Banned
As for the image I've had the exact same problem with PS. I still don't fully understand the issue but it has something to do with PS not exporting to sRGB and not using an sRGB profile while editing. The problem is that you can fix this but it randomly resets itself. I haven't had this issue in years though so it cloud just be random.

Also I can help you post or finish up the OT if you want.

Ah, that would be it. Colour profiles.

When R2 OT hits like, 19500 posts I'll pm you the post :)

Thanks

--

Hmm, the correct colour shows up if I view the image on its own (direct link) but not otherwise. I can't for the life of me figure this out.

Coreda

Not sure what the test was (the linked post doesn't display it) but a few things to keep in mind:

For desktop dark theme the background of the first post of every page is always #373737, and for light theme #dddddd. For mobile it's #ffffff for light theme and #000000 for dark theme. If you're editing an old post for testing purposes make sure it's an alternate post that shares these background color values.

To ensure consistency of color between browsers remove the gamma metadata from PNG images. I use PNGCrush v1.7.13 for this via a custom context menu command:

Code:
pngcrush.exe -rem gAMA -e _gamma_removed.png "%1"

This creates a copy of the PNG with _gamma_removed appended to the filename. Every one of the avatars I create goes through this process as well as OT graphics to make sure everyone is seeing the same thing.

Edit: I'll also add that if the idea was something like that locked thread in Off Topic mobile users, and anyone using a custom stylesheet, will see both versions of the text. It's better to choose a color that can be viewed on all versions of the site.

Izuna

Banned
To ensure consistency of color between browsers remove the gamma metadata from PNG images. I use PNGCrush v1.7.13 for this via a custom context menu command:

Code:
pngcrush.exe -rem gAMA -e _gamma_removed.png "%1"

This creates a copy of the PNG with _gamma_removed appended to the filename. Every one of the avatars I create goes through this process as well as OT graphics to make sure everyone is seeing the same thing.

Hmm? I'll redo a couple of pictures and see if this is causing it.

Thanks

Coreda

Hmm? I'll redo a couple of pictures and see if this is causing it.

Thanks

I see what's happening now. A while back I noticed Imgur affected the color of some screenshots I was uploading and I just recalled this.

So I tested VisceralBowl's PNG above against gamma-removed versions hosted on both Abload.de and Imgur.com and saw it was Imgur which was affecting the color, even on the gamma removed version.

Original (Imgur):
FmusalZ.png
Gamma rem. (Abload):
fmusalz_gamma_removed25slf.png
Gamma rem. (Imgur):
teXMwJh.png

This can be verified by using a screen color picker. The Abload version of the dark color will return #373737 while the others the incorrect value, at least on my IPS display in both Firefox and Chromium. Removing the gamma is still necessary to ensure consistency between browsers but the host in this case is also affecting the color.

Izuna

Banned
This can be verified by using a screen color picker. The Abload version of the dark color will return #373737 while the others the incorrect value, at least on my IPS display in both Firefox and Chromium. Removing the gamma is still necessary to ensure consistency between browsers but the host in this case is also affecting the color.

But it's absolutely bizarre that imgur has no problem when it's a direct link. Photos app does the same thing.

On my mobile, there is no difference between any of them. I wonder if it's some browser thing.

Coreda

But it's absolutely bizarre that imgur has no problem when it's a direct link. Photos app does the same thing.

What do you mean? Opening the Imgur-hosted images individually in the browser results in the same incorrect colors on my display in multiple browsers. Opening them locally in a photo editor will render the correct colors of course.

On my mobile, there is no difference between any of them. I wonder if it's some browser thing.

Could be the screen not showing the difference but it's definitely a known (and common) browser-related issue, hence the need for such workarounds as suggested if such accuracy is needed.

Izuna

Banned
What do you mean? Opening the Imgur-hosted images individually in the browser results in the same incorrect colors on my display in multiple browsers.

On my Surface Book with Chrome, the image that didn't "work" got dark theme shows up with the correct shade it open the direct link (.png).

So prior to your post, I had put everything in that darker shade and it'd appear correct for me.

If I can just change host (I'll hope to check this soon since I need to make the OT live in a few hours) then that sounds great.

kubus

I tried to play around with theme colors for my New 3DS Launch Thread as well, and in the end I just used different colored borders.

For example:

c5VwB3o.png

Font color is black, but to make it visible on black theme, I used a border in the color of the default theme. This way users with default theme don't see the border. (it doesn't work in this post because it's not the first post, obviously)

Also, if you need to test - I usually dig up a really old thread I made and use that to preview my OTs. Just remember to copy the original post to notepad or something, so that when you're done playing around, you can revert it to its original state. This way you also don't have the risk of accidentally posting your OP :p.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, the host doesn't matter for me. They all come out wrong unless it's a direct link, in which case it's correct. I'm just going to use a darker shade regardless. It even seems to be consistent with Edge and Chrome.

I've adjusted the design of the OT so that it'll be fine even if you're on mobile, so -- meh.

Coreda

Yeah, the host doesn't matter for me. They all come out wrong unless it's a direct link, in which case it's correct.

Odd. Anyway, best of luck with the OT. Aren't you juniored though?

Besides the guideline (I'll look at it too), does anyone have any good OTs that I can look at for inspiration? This would be my first OT.

For something along the lines of Shantae you could look at maxcriden's Shovel Knight OT which is neat, matches the style and contains well formatted info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom