• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass, and how a bad home menu icon drags down my enjoyment of a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The games icon doesn't bother me as much as the low resolution of the game. My partner downloaded the game yesterday and was surprised how bad it looked. I am enjoying the gameplay but snake pass looks like a low resolution Ios game.

Tweet this to the game company or director or someone involved with the game. I'm sure they will change it back or at least give an option to change it.

D.Lo

The games icon doesn't bother me as much as the low resolution of the game. My partner downloaded the game yesterday and was surprised how bad it looked. I am enjoying the gameplay but snake pass looks like a low resolution Ios game.
I found it pretty bad undocked, but docked looks pretty good.

Neiteio

I don't mind the look of the game itself so much; the unorthodox resolution just makes the vibrant colors and stylized art look more painterly.

But man, the new home menu icon is such a downgrade from what was perfectly fine before.

Fliesen

iGckgpW.jpg

Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/hXG9Lpp.png[/IMG]

do 1D even still exist? ... i feel super out of the loop right now.

I feel like a lot of these "seriously OP?" posts are missing the intention of the thread and the frame of mind of a player like Neiteio.

I will speak from my own point of view.

I love having a digital collection. It was the Vita that got me hooked on this. I loaded up my 64 GB memory card to capacity. To deal with it, I would buy cheap physical copies of games I already owned to remove the game data from the memory card while still keeping the icon on my main menu. I did this because a digital game collection, in its splendor, feels like a curated library of my own discretion.

The collector in me loves to sort, organize, and maintain a collection like this in a way that is most visually appealing or organizationally logical. My ~100 Vita icons are organized by platform, then alphabetized, and the folders they are each in are organized on three distinct backgrounds.

This is excessive, but I do this because I want my "first look" at my system to be beautiful. I like the feeling of waking my machine and having everything attractive and neat. A home screen is kind of like a work space in that way. I enjoy my system more, and my games more, when everything is how I like it.

Even if it's only a little bit, it's still a minor pleasantry I am afforded when everything looks nice and how I want it.

Modern consoles give you very little control over what your OS looks like, but especially your game menu. PS4's timeline, in particular, is terrible at that. You have to adjust how much you care based on your own influence over the interface. Swtich, like PS4, allows little player influence over what their work space looks like.

But with something like an icon, it's a sort of badge. Games you own, or are playing, are snapshots of your own interests. It can be very satisfying to behold your own library. You get used to things looking a certain way and these aesthetics become extremely comfortable.

An icon change like this disrupts the comfort you've come accustomed to. Snake Pass sticks out like a sore thumb now, and it betrays the style of the original icon and the other Switch icons around it. While it is impossible to qualify if the icon is good or bad, you can at least recognize that it disrupts the aesthetics of the home screen and reduces the comfort a sentimental player like me or Neiteio might have grown accustomed to.

I understand that to many players these things don't matter. But pride in the minutia is something other players really enjoy. They like when their icons are neat and tidy. They like when their home screen feels like it is so named: like home. Comfortable, organized, and personal.

To Neiteio, this is not what an icon for Snake Pass should look like. I think this is fair enough. An innocuous nitpick does nobody any harm. If you're the kind of player that thinks an icon is pointless and the aesthetics of your main menu are pointless, just try to keep in mind that the experience begins at the home screen for some others. It's the drum roll. It's the game's face. An icon should beg to be clicked.

For Neiteio, the old icon did that better.

I saw it the other day and it turned me off too. Looks like a cheap iPhone game icon.

I see where the OP is coming from. I am very OCD over how I manage my digital collections. I even go through and assign specific covers in plex based on what looks best to me.

Jodast

Sumo: "We've heard your feedback and we've changed the Snake Pass icon to what the fans want"

*you turn your Switch on and download the patch*

9wRTYkl.jpg

I would prefer this to the current logo just for getting rid of the horrible drop shadow and most of the blue background.

Neiteio

I feel like a lot of these "seriously OP?" posts are missing the intention of the thread and the frame of mind of a player like Neiteio.

I will speak from my own point of view.

I love having a digital collection. It was the Vita that got me hooked on this. I loaded up my 64 GB memory card to capacity. To deal with it, I would buy cheap physical copies of games I already owned to remove the game data from the memory card while still keeping the icon on my main menu. I did this because a digital game collection, in its splendor, feels like a curated library of my own discretion.

The collector in me loves to sort, organize, and maintain a collection like this in a way that is most visually appealing or organizationally logical. My ~100 Vita icons are organized by platform, then alphabetized, and the folders they are each in are organized on three distinct backgrounds.

This is excessive, but I do this because I want my "first look" at my system to be beautiful. I like the feeling of waking my machine and having everything attractive and neat. A home screen is kind of like a work space in that way. I enjoy my system more, and my games more, when everything is how I like it.

Even if it's only a little bit, it's still a minor pleasantry I am afforded when everything looks nice and how I want it.

Modern consoles give you very little control over what your OS looks like, but especially your game menu. PS4's timeline, in particular, is terrible at that. You have to adjust how much you care based on your own influence over the interface. Swtich, like PS4, allows little player influence over what their work space looks like.

But with something like an icon, it's a sort of badge. Games you own, or are playing, are snapshots of your own interests. It can be very satisfying to behold your own library. You get used to things looking a certain way and these aesthetics become extremely comfortable.

An icon change like this disrupts the comfort you've come accustomed to. Snake Pass sticks out like a sore thumb now, and it betrays the style of the original icon and the other Switch icons around it. While it is impossible to qualify if the icon is good or bad, you can at least recognize that it disrupts the aesthetics of the home screen and reduces the comfort a sentimental player like me or Neiteio might have grown accustomed to.

I understand that to many players these things don't matter. But pride in the minutia is something other players really enjoy. They like when their icons are neat and tidy. They like when their home screen feels like it is so named: like home. Comfortable, organized, and personal.

To Neiteio, this is not what an icon for Snake Pass should look like. I think this is fair enough. An innocuous nitpick does nobody any harm. If you're the kind of player that thinks an icon is pointless and the aesthetics of your main menu are pointless, just try to keep in mind that the experience begins at the home screen for some others. It's the drum roll. It's the game's face. An icon should beg to be clicked.

For Neiteio, the old icon did that better.
Exactly. Beautifully said, but that's no surprise — you've always been the better wordsmith. :)

Developers do this a lot on Steam to encourage new sales. They will update the icon with text and change the colour to make people feel like it is something they haven't seen before.

AEREC

Ya the icon is ugly and I hope they change it back...not sure it would affect my enjoyment of the game though. But it definitely gives off the vibe of those mobile games where publishers like to put their logo on the corner of the icon, which just screams "soulless cash grab game" to me for some reason.

While we are on the subject, what bugs me even more is how the Shovel Knight icon and name now feels like a compilation and I wish they would change it back to something that just references Shovel Knight, they did this on all platforms. Again it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game but it is an eyesore on the Switch UI, especially when the game icons are the most prominent item on the screen.

Sponge

Banned
At the very least I wish they would throw the logo back in the icon. Every Switch icon has the games logo in it so it just irks me to see this one doesnt.

Phu

Banned
Is the home menu icon the same icon that'd show up in the online store? Because if I didn't already know what Snake Pass was I'd pass right over it.

EDIT: Looks like the store is still the old one.

seady

I wanted to buy this game even before the sale due to it ranking high on the sale chart. But every time I see the game artstyle I just want to vomit.

When the artstyle is so bad, the icon won't be good in any way.

I didn't have a problem with the icon itself, the problem is the lack of inconsistency between it and other Switch game icons.

Human Resource Machine also has a similar "type" of icon that focuses on character art rather than the logo and background art.

Same goes for TumbleSeed's original release (below), though it was changed after an update.

Nah, we're not (at least for this!). The icon changed, you can see the original if you delete the game and go to redownload in the eShop. The game got a patch. It was 1.00 when it launched, now it's 1.01n.

I71c9sr.png

I can see why developers change icons though, it's a bolder way to say you've put out a major update and encourage people to launch your game out of curiosity from that alone.

I'm more surprised that everyone got the new logo now with the newest patch while I had it since I bought it 7 days ago.
But yeah, it sticks out and is really bad.

Fliesen

LUhOEIo.jpg

Not sure if the store will refresh to the new icon either.

the square artwork in the top right corner doesn't match the original home screen icon (just check how the Snake's nostrils do / don't align with the logo), so i would guess this is a different asset altogether.

Gestault

I think the idea of something this superficial (as in, not even "in" the game itself) actually ruining the experience is an overreaction, but I 100% understand how presentation matters. Some aspects of games/development are challening in a way you can't expect perfection, but visual layout like this is simple enough (and was already "solved").

This would annoy me too.

Neiteio

I think the idea of something this superficial (as in, not even "in" the game itself) actually ruining the experience is an overreaction, but I 100% understand how presentation matters. Some aspects of games/development are challening in a way you can't expect perfection, but visual layout like this is simple enough.

This would annoy me too.
More to the point, they had a perfectly fine and attractive icon before.

What's frustrating is they changed it to something worse.

Aleh

I agree with you. In fact, I am super petty about this kind of things as well. I would totally avoid a game based purely on its icon. I just like when things mesh well together and this most certainly does not.
To add on this, they should also add the option to manually move around the icons on the homescreen like on 3DS so that we can organize things neatly ourselves.

Some of y'all don't understand the feeling of turning on your Switch and gazing upon your beautiful collection of games, each with a beautiful icon. Sometimes it just makes you feel some type of way, y'know? Which is why that fucking Snake is a travesty. It is a reminder that games can be ugly.

I hate game icons without their titles with a passion on PS4 so im totally with you.

Lazy hack frauds put the title of the game into it!

Because of PS+ Until Dawn is the latest offender that comes to mind.

Plum

I hate game icons without their titles with a passion on PS4 so im totally with you.

Lazy hack frauds put the title of the game into it!

Because of PS+ Until Dawn is the latest offender that comes to mind.

On the opposite end of the spectrum icons that are just the game's logo on a completely white background are horrible.When it's the same for the case's spine the entire out-of-game experience feels cheap.

Agreed, a bad menu icon can ruin the mood. It doens't stop us from playing the game but it does kind of hurt the ''image'' of the game, literally.

Usually only people who are sensitve to art have this complaint though.

Castef

Banned
Agreed, a bad menu icon can ruin the mood. It doens't stop us from playing the game but it does kind of hurt the ''image'' of the game, literally.

Usually only people who are sensitve to art have this complaint though.

I find the new icon bold, and thus I like it.

It is like it says "Look how well known our snake became! We don't even need the title in the icon anymore!"

Fliesen

yo Darren Calvert, let's have a talk about them royalties for my work of Ariana art.

I find the new icon bold, and thus I like it.

It is like it says "Look how well known our snake became! We don't even need the title in the icon anymore!"

About that ... i still can't remember the name of the Snake without googling it ... i mean, i know it's "Noodle" ... or is it "Noodles?".

Banned
Downgradeton.

I stopped playing this game after 100% the first six levels. I just can't anymore. The controls and camera are too obtuse for me.

Neiteio

Downgradeton.

I stopped playing this game after 100% the first six levels. I just can't anymore. The controls and camera are too obtuse for me.
That's as far as I got — 100% the first six levels — but I like the controls. (Camera could use some work, though.)

Main issue is the home menu icon dragging down the front-end presentation.

Lylo

There's a Sumo Digital dev here in GAF, donkey show is his name, let's hope he sees this thread and forward our concerns regarding the icon to the guys at Sumo Digital. They'll release an update to fix the HD rumble, maybe they can revert back to the old icon as well.

Fliesen

Downgradeton.

That's as far as I got — 100% the first six levels — but I like the controls. (Camera could use some work, though.)

Main issue is that home menu icon dragging down the front-end presentation, though.

i said it before and i'll keep saying it:
Do not try to 100% each level at the first go. It is (with exceptions) the wrong approach and you'll be enjoying the experience a lot less.

I did the same thing, got super frustrated (about the camera, the obnoxious 'manual saving' you had to do before every risky situation, etc.) and stopped after around lvl 5 or 6.

when i picked it back up i forced myself to complete the game and then collect all pick-ups in a second playthrough, and had a much better time.

Plum

This reminds me of when people complain that the spines of their movie/book collection don't match lol.

If they're on the same console or in the same series they damn well should match. PAL PS2 games are the GOAT in terms of spine uniformity and even that had a few games that chose to do all caps for some reason.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, that's certainly "something" to stop playing a game for, but I do agree that it looks worse and out of place among all the other icons. Most look like game covers, this one looks like an avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom