• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

woodypop

It's been forever since I took apart my SNES so I can't remember, but a quick googling seems to suggest that all you have to do is tug on the cable (on the motherboard's end) and it should come out.

I really hate when I get to that sort of point where you're reading instructions and taking something apart, and then something stubborn refuses to cooperate. You end up wondering if maybe you need to apply more force, or if there's a trick to it that the instructions forgot to mention (or maybe you just read them wrong), and more force would break everything.
Yes, not really knowing what I'm doing, I was afraid of breaking something using too much force. Fortunately, (with your help) I realized my mistake was that I was trying to pry the connector off of the board, when all I needed to do was pull the ribbon cable out of the connector. So I finally was able to swap out the controller ports/board with one from another SNES.

Unfortunately, the problem still occurs, so I'm thinking the issue may require a more complex solution. I might be inclined to just return it and get store credit =(

EDIT: I ended up returning it yesterday.

Also I just won a copy of Terranigma for the SFC for 10 bucks and I'm pretty excited to finally own that game.

With the money you saved instead of buying the PAL version, take a trip to Mt. Fuji

xrnw9rcozkzp13sm8qyq.jpg

https://kotaku.com/oh-hey-its-just-a-super-nintendo-sitting-on-mt-fuji-1633887474

SKINNER!

Banned
Is there an extensive guide on games that support MSU-1? I'm not specifically looking for roms (naughty!) but more of a "With MSU-1, your game will look/sound like THIS compared to the original version". sixteen-bit's post got me intrigued and then I discovered the Road Avenger port for the SNES which blew my mind. Is it mostly audio updates or do some games have FMV/video upgrades too? I noticed there's a Chrono Trigger where they are trying to incorporate CD quality audio and the PS1 FMVs into the SNES version using MSU-1. Mind blowing stuff if you ask me!

Laws00

Can someone explain to me what the those 4 black button ovals on the super Nintendo represent? Are they the controller buttons?

On the Super Famicom and European model I can see what they are doing with it but the USA model never made any sense to me.

Can someone explain to me what the those 4 black button ovals on the super Nintendo represent? Are they the controller buttons?

On the Super Famicom and European model I can see what they are doing with it but the USA model never made any sense to me.
I think they represent the face buttons.

Is there an extensive guide on games that support MSU-1? I'm not specifically looking for roms (naughty!) but more of a "With MSU-1, your game will look/sound like THIS compared to the original version". sixteen-bit's post got me intrigued and then I discovered the Road Avenger port for the SNES which blew my mind. Is it mostly audio updates or do some games have FMV/video upgrades too? I noticed there's a Chrono Trigger where they are trying to incorporate CD quality audio and the PS1 FMVs into the SNES version using MSU-1. Mind blowing stuff if you ask me!

I don't know of any guide or list sorry. Actually maybe on Krikzz forum they might, I believe there's an on going thread there about them. Though any game can be MSU-1ed if you will. Some one has to make it but it can be done to any game. Though I wish people would focus on new ones, there's like almost 10 versions of Link to the Past and some of the FF games. I know Link to the Past and like you said Chrono Trigger had FMVs added to them for cut scenes. I'm not sure off hand if any others do but it can be done.

Super Metroid and Turtles in Time are some of the best ones IMHO.

It's the 4 face buttons just like the other versions, you can even see the top quarter circle that would be from the purple area around the buttons. The original logo obviously wouldn't work since the US buttons aren't colored the same.

It's the 4 face buttons just like the other versions, you can even see the top quarter circle that would be from the purple area around the buttons. The original logo obviously wouldn't work since the US buttons aren't colored the same.

I wouldn't mind if they kept the same design and replaced the skittles with the lavender and purple, honestly.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Think about how novel 4 face buttons would have been in 1990-1991. I can see why all regions highlighted this in the logo.

Cheerilee

I wouldn't mind if they kept the same design and replaced the skittles with the lavender and purple, honestly.

The Japanese design is a weird shape, and nobody would even know what it was if it weren't for the skittles colors.

The American design is a simple "four circles, inside a circle", cropped and tilted (mode 7 reference maybe), with scanlines (because NOA could see into the future and saw that the SNES would be the ultimate retro console, demanding a CRT).

Laws00

I see it. Honestly it just went over my head. I always looked at the thing and wondered what the hell these things were for

They're kind of lost in translation making them black like that I agree. They should at least have been made purple like they actually were on controller.

D.Lo

The JP logo is referencing that there are two new buttons above the 'normal' two. The 2X2 button layout was revolutionary in 1990. The PC Engine had a straight Famicom controller (aka 1983 design) ripoff, and the Mega Drive essentially did too, adding a third action button in a line and a start button only got it up to Famicom spec (Sega spent the whole 8-bit era one step behind Nintendo in controller designs)

They took the concept of adding a second row of buttons and made it clear in the logo. It also implies '3D' to a certain extent as the top two buttons are 'raised' in 3D - because 3D elements were one of the Super Famicom's points of difference, with the mode 7 stuff and plans for more things.

The four colours are also intricately woven into the system's design and packaging. The four sides of the box march the four colours of the buttons, and even the design on the top is a drawing of the console in lines of those colours. Many games factor the colours into their designs as well, eg the menus in Zelda are colour coded.

The US design takes the idea of the four buttons, and mixes it up with some late 80s 'rad dudes' imagery. The four buttons in a circle is stretched/elongated and cropped to imply 'non-conformist attitude'. It also has the grey lines, orange dots and turquoise square 'random shapes and lines and patterns on a black background' thing, designed to imply 'zany movement' - pretty standard 80s stuff, google image search '80s logo' and see many things with a similar aesthetic in more exaggerated form. But it didn't go too far, it was just on the edges of an otherwise standard presentation of technology (like home computers) thing.

Just like the console design itself, the American box and logo was late 80s 'rad' zeitgeist stuff. But IMO it kind of missed the mark by only getting halfway there - Sega did the same 'badass attitude' thing but better (worse?). Whoever chose purple buttons, it just makes no sense.

Whereas the Super Fami is more of a 'fun but high quality family edutainment' look. In Japan they the cute 'minimalist but fun' box. In Australia/Europe it was sort of a middle ground they made it even more bland like a home PC box, but kept the design and logo of the Japanese one.

Laws00

The JP logo is referencing that there are two new buttons above the 'normal' two. The 2X2 button layout was revolutionary in 1990. The PC Engine had a straight Famicom controller (aka 1983 design) ripoff, and the Mega Drive essentially did too, adding a third action button in a line and a start button only got it up to Famicom spec (Sega spent the whole 8-bit era one step behind Nintendo in controller designs)

They took the concept of adding a second row of buttons and made it clear in the logo. It also implies '3D' to a certain extent as the top two buttons are 'raised' in 3D - because 3D elements were one of the Super Famicom's points of difference, with the mode 7 stuff and plans for more things.

The four colours are also intricately woven into the system's design and packaging. The four sides of the box march the four colours of the buttons, and even the design on the top is a drawing of the console in lines of those colours. Many games factor the colours into their designs as well, eg the menus in Zelda are colour coded.

The US design takes the idea of the four buttons, and mixes it up with some late 80s 'rad dudes' imagery. The four buttons in a circle is stretched/elongated and cropped to imply 'non-conformist attitude'. It also has the grey lines, orange dots and turquoise square 'random shapes and lines and patterns on a black background' thing, designed to imply 'zany movement' - pretty standard 80s stuff, google image search '80s logo' and see many things with a similar aesthetic in more exaggerated form. But it didn't go too far, it was just on the edges of an otherwise standard presentation of technology (like home computers) thing.

Just like the console design itself, the American box and logo was late 80s 'rad' zeitgeist stuff. But IMO it kind of missed the mark by only getting halfway there - Sega did the same 'badass attitude' thing but better (worse?). Whoever chose purple buttons, it just makes no sense.

Whereas the Super Fami is more of a 'fun but high quality family edutainment' look. In Japan they the cute 'minimalist but fun' box. In Australia/Europe it was sort of a middle ground they made it even more bland like a home PC box, but kept the design and logo of the Japanese one.
GOD DAMN! Thank you Mister Historian

This is what I want to see, read and learn about!

I can totally see the 80s chic look going into a early 90s on the box design

SKINNER!

Banned
I don't know of any guide or list sorry. Actually maybe on Krikzz forum they might, I believe there's an on going thread there about them. Though any game can be MSU-1ed if you will. Some one has to make it but it can be done to any game. Though I wish people would focus on new ones, there's like almost 10 versions of Link to the Past and some of the FF games. I know Link to the Past and like you said Chrono Trigger had FMVs added to them for cut scenes. I'm not sure off hand if any others do but it can be done.

Super Metroid and Turtles in Time are some of the best ones IMHO.

Cheers bud :) Maybe I can create an extensive list by researching it, finding the best ones and posting it on here. I think I got a free weekend coming up. Will cross-check it with a mod if I can include links since they are patches.

Cheers bud :) Maybe I can create an extensive list by researching it, finding the best ones and posting it on here. I think I got a free weekend coming up. Will cross-check it with a mod if I can include links since they are patches.

No problem. The MSU1 stuff was the main reason I went SD2SNES over the Super Everdrive, its really awesome stuff.

IrishNinja

dubc35

no way this thing isn't already sold!

congrats man, it's not for everyone/ever genre but i loved mine, right until my dumb puppy bit the end of it off...i still need to learn how to reconnect those wires!

I know, right? I tried and failed...to get someone to buy it. So I bought it.

I now have two SNES's and two FFIII's, but I got Chrono Trigger so I think it's worth it. I'll probably sell the SNES and FFIII as well to recoup some of the costs.

SKINNER!

Banned
It was the first time I checked CL for anything gaming (besides CRTs of course) in months. It was lost in a sea of SNES classics and Switches. At that price point I'm sure many balked; deal I couldn't pass up the longer it went on lol.

Nice one! Wish I could get a good deal like that on my local listing. Last one I had was around 2014 when I picked up Chrono Cross for £5.

TeaJay

I think the MSU-1 patches are one of the best reasons to justify getting a SD2SNES. I've been playing around with various patches and IMO the Link to the Past one is superb and Super Metroid one is also very good.

I tested a few new ones, Super G'n'G sounds nice as does Super Castlevania IV but I definitely agree with crazy percussions. The later stage themes sound a lot better though, so if you try that one don't judge it on that first level music alone.

The Chrono Trigger MSU is also very nice even if you don't buy the Square-licensed FLAC soundtrack. There's a free option too which is excellent. I'm not quite sure what's going on with the (intro) FMV's, since there's a big-ass BETA sign on the middle of the screen in my version, I guess it's the same for everyone as long as they get it finished!

It's great what these flashcarts can allow people to do these days.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Speak of the devil, next SNES Classic Club thread is up -- click to go there

Ive never played this, so definitely interested in joining this time. Just need to find the box where my complete Snes-games are stored lol. I am moving in a few weeks so its packed away right now, but shouldnt be so hard to find this game.

This is missing it's manual, but for just 765 yen posted from Yahoo Auctions i'm pleased to have this back in my collection. Seems like a score anytime you get a Konami game from this era for less than 50 bucks!

lH5PvCbl.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
The Chrono Trigger MSU is also very nice even if you don't buy the Square-licensed FLAC soundtrack. There's a free option too which is excellent. I'm not quite sure what's going on with the (intro) FMV's, since there's a big-ass BETA sign on the middle of the screen in my version, I guess it's the same for everyone as long as they get it finished!

Yeah, Its the same on my version of Chrono Trigger too but I have seen youtube videos (obtained from twitch streams) that clearly shows the MSU-1 version of Chrono Trigger with the intro that doesn't have the big BETA sign on it. The person must've swapped out the video file or there is another version of the MSU-1 version kicking around somewhere. Still, Great to see someone taking the time to develop the SNES version with PS1 audio and video.

Had a chance to play around with the MSU-1 functionality on the SD2SNES and the stuff is jaw-dropping to say the least. Getting FMV and CD quality audio out of a SNES games is magic. Just absolutely incredible.

My highlights:-

Road Avenger (or whatever its called) runs smoothly and I feel its a little easier than the Sega CD version.

Chrono Trigger is pretty nice and the enhanced music improves it.

F-Zero with the Guitar Arrange mix - Oh yes!!!

Rock and Roll Racing - Still prefer the 16-bit renditions but seeing it with the enhanced audio was sweet.

I saw footage of Zelda and it looked great too.

Only thing I didn't like was the TMNT enchanced audio. That intro music is god-awful hahaha.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed and hope that the community is big enough to create something special with the MSU-1 capabilities. The only thing I came across was a Link to the Past hack that featured conker....weird.

So I forgot to post this over here after I started on it, but I've been working on ranking and writing up every official US released SNES game. I'm one of those guys who loves to cruise the web finding all of the top 100 lists for the system, and I had always really hoped someone would do one that was a little more comprehensive. Eventually I figured why not do it myself if no-one else would.

Here's the first two installments, and I'm currently trying to wrap up number three:

SNES Rankings Volume I
SNES Ranking Volume II

For those who hate to read, here's the list so far:

714 - College Football USA '97
713 - Pit Fighter
712 - Race Drivin'
711 - Last Action Hero
710 - Pro Quarterback
709 - JRR Tolkiens' Lord of the Rings Vol. 1
708 - Barkley Shut Up and Jam
707 - Ballz 3D
706 - FIFA Soccer '97
705 - Ultraman
704 - Cannondale Cup
703 - Shaq-Fu
702 - Space Ace
701 - Space Football
700 - Emmitt Smith Football
699 - Rocky & Bullwinkle
698 - Bronkie the Bronchiasaurus
697 - NBA All-Star Challenge
696 - Cool World
695 - RoboCop 3
694 - Taz-Mania
693 - The Tick
692 - Terminator 2
691 - Rapjam Volume One
690 - The Rocketeeer
689 - Jammit
688 - NFL Football
687 - Bebe's Kids
686 - Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball
685 - D-Force
684 - Champions World Class Soccer
683 - TKO Championship Boxing
682 - Hammerlock Wrestling
681 - Natsume Championship Wrestling
680 - Doomsday Warrior
679 - Wayne's World
678 - Street Hockey
677 - Magic Johnson's Super Slam Duck
676 - Captain America and the Avengers
675 - Road Riot 4WD
674 - Foreman For Real
673 - NCAA Final Four Basketball
672 - Barbie Super Model
671 - Rise of the Robots
670 - Thomas the Tank Engine
669 - Mario's Early Years Letters
668 - Mario's Early Years Numbers
667 - Mario's Early Years Preschool
666 - Toys
665 - Street Combat
664 - ESPN Sunday Night NFL
663 - The Great Waldo Search
662 - Capcom Soccer Shootout
661 - Nickelodeon Guts
660 - Super Caesar's Palace
659 - Best of the Best
658 - Dragon's Lair
657 - Frantic Flea
656 - International Tennis Tour
655 - Battle Cars
654 - Tony Meola's Sidekicks Soccer
653 - The Terminator
652 - MVP Football
651 - George Foreman KO Boxing

Last edited:

eXistor

Damn, you're a stronger person than me trying to get play all of them. I've just started reading through your list, but I'm just going to say "bravo, good sir". Interesting read so far.

Damn, you're a stronger person than me trying to get play all of them. I've just started reading through your list, but I'm just going to say "bravo, good sir". Interesting read so far.
It takes a strong drive to see things through to the end. Last night was my third session with Redline F1 and it was not by choice

Last edited:

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Lots of terrible games in there, but i seem to remember the Natsume Wrestling game actually being pretty decent?

buizel

Banned
Hey, hoping can someone help me out - im trying to find a COMPLETE LIST of every single multiplayer SNES game released.

I did google and theres a few lists but none complete, as no list ive seen includes the WORLD FAMOUS OSCAR WINNING
TRODDLERS
36155-Troddlers_(USA)-1459229453-thumb.png

look at that 2-player, lemming clone complete with DAT AMIGA LOOK (god the amiga colour scheme gets me off, and gradients on fonts my lawd)

So I forgot to post this over here after I started on it, but I've been working on ranking and writing up every official US released SNES game. I'm one of those guys who loves to cruise the web finding all of the top 100 lists for the system, and I had always really hoped someone would do one that was a little more comprehensive. Eventually I figured why not do it myself if no-one else would.

Here's the first two installments, and I'm currently trying to wrap up number three:

SNES Rankings Volume I
SNES Ranking Volume II

Guess I forgot to post the last couple volumes here...

Volume I - #714-701
Volume II - #700-651
Volume III - #650-601
Volume IV - #600-551
Volume V - #550-501
Volume VI - #500-451

Top Bottom