• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC will be getting updated in Spring

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this is absolutely a better late than never thing.

also, praying for reach in 60 fps

PC + crossplay would be an awesome step towards salvaging and rebuilding the MCC community, so hopefully that happens.

Either way Scorpio + a matchmaking overhaul will be nice.

And of course, add me to the list of Halo Reach requests. And ODST Firefight, with matchmaking. Maybe even have a shared Reach/ODST Firefight playlist.

Impossible right now as the whole collection is over 70GB.

According to Eurogamer, Microsoft's new smart install function lets them release multi-disc games again. So size wouldn't be an issue.

Anyone with an existing copy of the game might have to download a complete replacement game depending on what they're fixing / rebuilding.

The fantasy dreams of finally
getting Reach in 60fps along with possibility of them actually fixing all the missing elements of Halo 3's menu and armour customisation alongside Firefight for Reach and ODST is almost too much to think about.
<- in spoiler text so people scanning the thread don't mistake this for actual features.

A properly functioning Master Chief Collection is a killer app in whatever year it releases.

Marcel

MCC was borked on launch, therefore these classic games should not be preserved as technology progresses?

I didn't even imply that. 343 did its damnedest to distance me from Halo with all its fuck-ups so I took the hint. If you want to support them now that's fine but I'm done.

SRTtoZ

I'd be in for the PC version. Already put a lot into the Xbox version so I don't think I'd return to that version.

Cranster

Banned
I didn't even imply that. 343 did its damnedest to distance me from Halo with all its fuck-ups so I took the hint. If you want to support them now that's fine but I'm done.
So they announce they will continue to support the MCC but your attitude is fuck 'em?

Vinc

Sure it took too long, but I'm really happy they're doing this. I let my XBL sub expire and entirely moved away from the Xbox ecosystem now though... Maybe Halo 6 can get me back. I have this feeling that they're making something pretty special.

Cranster

Banned
If you think 343's problems were limited to just the botched release of MCC then I don't know what else we have to talk about.
I'm aware of the issues. But they are improving on multiple fronts and with this news it warrants supporting them.

People can blame 343 studios all they want. But at the end of the day there were about 5 other studios who were involved in the development of this game.

I'm not 343s biggest fan. But this was more of a fuck up by MS rather than 343. They should have tested it throughly. I'm sure majority of 343 at the time were working on Halo 5 which was due a year later.

Cranster

Banned
People can blame 343 studios all they want. But at the end of the day there were about 5 other studios who were involved in the development of this game.

I'm not 343s biggest fan. But this was more of a fuck up by MS rather than 343. They should have tested it throughly. I'm sure majority of 343 at the time were working on Halo 5 which was due a year later.
343i should have new bwtter aawell. No doubt microsoft is partly to blame but it was 343i's job to work on the nercode/matchmaking and tie it all together.

Jawmuncher

this is absolutely a better late than never thing.

also, praying for reach in 60 fps

Reach added to the collection even if SP only is all I want.
Would be a nice gift after such a long wait of getting a damn patch for MCC. Even if I gotta pay $5 bucks.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Come on.

Man, I thought I shit on 343...

This is GOOD news. You don't think fixing this game with possibly a 4K update and overhauled matchmaking is good? The classic Halo games are still classic. If marketed correctly, this could be huge right before a Halo 6 announcement at E3.

Lothars

Man, I thought I shit on 343...

This is GOOD news. You don't think fixing this game with possibly a 4K update and overhauled matchmaking is good? The classic Halo games are still classic. If marketed correctly, this could be huge right before a Halo 6 announcement at E3.
Yes it's good news but they have fucked up a franchise I loved with poor games. So I hope they fix this and fix it right because that could help turn the franchise back around. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt in this though.

blamite

Hopefully part of the upgrade is completely redoing the menus, because yeesh, they're bad. Readability of everything is atrocious from more than as couple feet away, and the fact that highlighted menu options actually get harder to read than the options around them is inexcusable.

I get that it sucks that it launched in a broken state in the first place, but wth is with some reactions here?

"How pathetic that they're letting MCC die"

Now,

"How insulting that they're fixing a broken product that millions bought."

I understand if you don't want to pat 343I on the back, but to call it insulting that they fix it now is stupid. I know a large, or at least audible chunk of GAF has a Halo/343 Hate Boner but good lord. When it comes to fixing a broken game, late is surely always better than never?

If they ever get around a PC port, I really hope they ditch the playlist system over a server browser. MCC is really hurt by the playlist system, there's so many ways to play this game that the online playerbase is fractured way to thin among the playlists. At least with a server browser you would easily be able to find a game even if the population slows down.

At the end of the day 343's Dan Ayoub was the one responsible to manage the project.

wwm0nkey

We should be getting more info this week from Frankie from what littleMOA said, as soon as that info is posted I will update the OP

I only played the campaigns and they were fine, didn't have any major problems. I think it's multiplayer that needs the fixes but now even if it was perfect I don't think it's going to bring back the audience that game lost. So many other great multiplayer experiences that are new for people to play.

I get that it sucks that it launched in a broken state in the first place, but wth is with some reactions here?

"How pathetic that they're letting MCC die"

Now,

"How insulting that they're fixing a broken product that millions bought."

I understand if you don't want to pat 343I on the back, but to call it insulting that they fix it now is stupid. I know a large, or at least audible chunk of GAF has a Halo/343 Hate Boner but good lord. When it comes to fixing a broken game, late is surely always better than never?

Be careful about generalizations. Hundreds of people aren't one. I'm upset mainly because it affects me personally; I sold my Xbox One because Halo was the only thing I played on it and Halo 6 should come to PC anyway so I wanted to leave the past debacle behind.

Now that they're coming back with it again, it does rub me the wrong way, like why weren't they giving us incremental fixes the last year or so? Why didn't they do anything to quell my distaste for how Xbox has handled so many things this generation? And my instinct tells me that they want to re-release it because they figured out how to make it profitable again by giving it the Xbox One X (and maybe PC) treatment. In other words, it didn't make sense for Microsoft to fix the broken game people bought until it was beneficial to them. Yes, this is speculation. But as a fan, right now I feel pretty burned.

Top Bottom