• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Ravelle

Perilous Piers is the worst Run & Gun so far for me, that lobster always outruns me and I loose around 2 HP on him.

I got the last stage of that level once or twice but how on earth do you dodge the pearls and the other junk thrown at you while you hit that pink on the octopus' head?

Perilous Piers is the worst Run & Gun so far for me, that lobster always outruns me and I loose around 2 HP on him.

I got the last stage of that level once or twice but how on earth do you dodge the pearls and the other junk thrown at you while you hit that pink on the octopus' head?
Try to time the parry on the head to line up with the clam shot that would hit you otherwise and use spread to knock out everything flying at you from the right. By far the hardest run and gun.

Lima

Try to time the parry on the head to line up with the clam shot that would hit you otherwise and use spread to knock out everything flying at you from the right. By far the hardest run and gun.

It’s also the hardest run if you go for pacifist. My god those fucking schrimp.

First of all, yes it is, I'm literally repeating verbatim what the devs have said about charge shot. Youre absolutely getting past the train with charge, you can shoot the eyes without charging and the regular shots require a nerf too (per teeth, again).

Literally teeth said the perogative of having different types of weapons is to experiment. Almost everything youre saying in this post is contradicted by the devs in this very thread. They want you to experiment. Unlike in megaman where you have to restart the stage, cuphead literally requires you exit to map, switch weapons, and pick up exactly where you were prior. In total thats like a 15-20 second wait, max. Thats nothing. Additionally, any weapon can and will work. The main point being, charge shot is the BEST choice in every situation. Again, as confirmed by devs.

Again teeth addressed the idea that other weapons need a buff. That would then require changing the pool of health of the bosses and a ton of more work when in reality only charge shot is not functioning as intended, hence why its getting a nerf. Everything else functions as intended. And again, they want weapons to be experimented with and having more use thats situational than having one weapon type trump all in every situation aka charge shot.

Youre fundamentally misunderstanding mega man (and this game). You can beat any boss with any weapon type in both cuphead and mega man. Yes, there are more effective weapons that can be used in both games but that doesn't mean you can't run through them with the base weapon (IE I ran through cuphead with the base weapon on my first playthrough; I also never even knew about most of the boss weaknesses in mega man X when I was little and still managed to get to the final stages). This isn't an arbitrary change either. Teeth literally said they could post the numbers to prove with actual data charge shot is op. It needs a nerf, its not functioning how they intended, its breaking encounters, its more useful than any other weapon, the devs have said they want you trying out different weapon types. I mean basically everything in your post has been addressed by Teeth.Youre way off the mark.

Here I found the post:

"Teeth said", "teeth said" , and "has been addressed by teeth".

I fucking get it. You don't have to regurgitate everything teeth said. I know what fucking teeth said. I'm saying I disagree with him. That he is the game's developer doesn't inherently invalidate what I think is the wrong move. Somewhatgroovy has already addressed this in a prior post which would have made sense if you weren't parsing through posts looking for contradictions to what teeth said. I'm not off the mark. Weapons in no way shape or form take away the challenge of learning the bosses' behaviors and patterns. I shouldnt be forced to experiment with weapons because it adds no value from a gameplay point of view. It's good to give a choice but should not have any influence on a game's difficulty

Teeth said...

jviggy43

I guess I group that all into one. Smoke Bomb is super broken in my opinion. Sure, you can't skip entire phases of boss battles, but it's easier to use than the Charge and imo makes at least some of the fights much easier.

I do find it strange how toxic you people get when I compare the Charge to other weapons/charms. How about you calm down a bit?
Smoke makes you disappear and you forgo other useful charms like more health in order to use it. Charge is an addition to another weapon.

So you want to be an ass because I haven't read all 4000+ posts in this thread? Really?
I wasn't trying to make that sound like an attack so much as, people keep posting this stuff to justify a broken mechanic when teeth has clarified numerous times in the thread. Maybe we should sticky his responses to the OP haha, idk.

I'm not arguing that Charge is the best weapon (although I have seen the argument made about fast switching being better). I'm simply saying that all of the weapons/charms have a huge impact on the difficulty of the game. The game can be beat with the default weapon, no charms and no supers. If you're going to nerf something because it makes the game too easy, you may as well nerf all the things that make the game too easy.
This is faulty logic. The other mechanics are working as intended (and weapon switching is getting a nerf as well btw). Theyre there for you to experiment with and find situational use for every weapon or charm. Yes you can beat the game without using them, I beat the game with only the main weapon on my first playthrough. But charge allows you to circumvent entire phases of bosses. It breaks the game and no other weapon (not using an exploit like switch) allows you to do that. Not a fair comparison at all

I would also argue it's not the best weapon at all times, in all conditions. If you parry you lose your charge. In addition, some people are not good at aiming it properly, especially when they need to dodge and hit a specific point on a boss. Again, it's good, probably the best, but not "100% the best weapon to use at all times in all conditions."
Well you'd be arguing with the devs of the game who have said they have data to back up thats its the best weapon to use in all situations. Charge takes about a second to charge? Losing it on a parry for 1 second doesn't do much. And aiming can be said to be a problem for any weapon, the distinction being, when charge hits, it hits much much harder than anything else in the game and break encounters.

And yes, I agree skipping an entire boss phase is a bit much, but that's the extreme and doesn't happen on every boss, or even half the bosses. If you use a super at that same point during the bee boss, is the phase skipped? If not, how close is it to skipping the phase?
You can do it on a ton of bosses. And yes you can get a boss close to skipping a phase but a one time use super ability thats intended to function like that isn't comparable to a shot you get every second that requires no parrying to build up having the same effect. If you have to resort to comparing a weapon to something that is intended to be a one time ultimate use than you should probably be aware of how broken it is. Like imagine in overwatch having someone compare a character's regular attack to that of their ultimate as a defense that it isn't ridiculously broken.That alone should tell you all you need to know about the attack.

"Teeth said", "teeth said" , and "has been addressed by teeth".

I fucking get it. You don't have to regurgitate everything teeth said. I know what fucking teeth said. I'm saying I disagree with him. That he is the game's developer doesn't inherently invalidate what I think is the wrong move. Somewhatgroovy has already addressed this in a prior post which would have made sense if you weren't parsing through posts looking for contradictions to what teeth said. I'm not off the mark. Weapons in no way shape or form take away the challenge of learning the bosses' behaviors and patterns.

Teeth said...
Well I'm terribly sorry that were still having the same conversation weeks later because people don't want a game breaking mechanic to be removed from the game. (Did you just refer to yourself in 3rd person?) And yes apparently I have to regurgitate it because you aren't arguing against his points youre just saying things you think you'd like the game to be....against what the developers of the game are saying theyre intending it to be. Also I didn't have to look hard theres a search post function. Regarding weapons not teaching you the mechanics of a boss fight, If anything, charge allows you to not have to learn boss fights because you can skip entire phases. Which means that yes, it does take challenge away from leanring the bosses' patterns and behaviors because you don't have to learn many of them.

Again, way off the mark.

If boss segments are being skipped because a weapon is "op", that doesn't mean your weapon is "broken". It's very obvious what needs to be done to address that and messing with the weapons isn't it.

Well you'd be arguing with the devs of the game who have said.

Please stop discrediting everything with this bullshit. Troll elsewhere.

. Which means that yes, it does take challenge away from leanring the bosses' patterns and behaviors

Way off the mark and a blatantly ignorant comment.

youre just saying things you think you'd like the game to be....against what the developers of the game are saying theyre intending it to be

Correct, and what they intend for it to be doesn't absolve them from criticism for their choices which is what I am arguing. This would be obvious to you if you had anything...anything...to contribute to the thread outside of quoting the devs and actually read what a handful of us are saying here.

jviggy43

If boss segments are being skipped because a weapon is "op", that doesn't mean your weapon is "broken". It's very obvious what needs to be done to address that and messing with the weapons isn't it.

Please stop discrediting everything with this bullshit. Troll elsewhere.
Um.....
Way off the mark and a blatantly ignorant comment.

Correct, and what they intend for it to be doesn't absolve them from criticism for their choices which is what I am arguing. This would be obvious to you if you had anything...anything...to contribute to the thread outside of quoting the devs and actually read what a handful of us are saying here.

I mean I elaborated in my own words in all of my posts in here and you haven't responded to any of it. I don't understand at all why you think the above isn't indicative of a broken weapon if youre skipping boss segments.

Um.....

I mean I elaborated in my own words in all of my posts in here and you haven't responded to any of it. I don't understand at all why you think the above isn't indicative of a broken weapon if youre skipping boss segments.

Because an alternative is to re-code the boss' health, which is what needs to be done (imo imo imo)

When you die, a meter is shown how far you've progressed in any given stage or fight. These segments can vary in length from being either super short to probably making up the bulk of the fight itself. It's all random and on a case by case basis. I'm willing to bet that any segments that are being skipped are one's that are shortest in length. So the devs have three moves they can make here: they can stretch out that segment, buff the Boss' health or nerf the weapon. The latter isn't the only choice available to them.

Afro

Too much negativity in here. Here's a perfectly looped Betty Boop.

7OcNbAc.gif

jviggy43

Because an alternative is to re-code the boss' health, which is what needs to be done (imo imo imo)

When you die, a meter is shown how far you've progressed in any given stage or fight. These segments can vary in length from being either super short to probably making up the bulk of the fight itself. It's all random and on a case by case basis. I'm willing to bet that any segments that are being skipped are one's that are shortest in length. So the devs have three moves they can make here: they can stretch out that segment, buff the Boss' health or nerf the weapon. The latter isn't the only choice available to them.
If you add more health than all of the other weapons require tweaking since charge would be the only viable weapon at that point. If you rebuff all of the other weapons and the dragons health you're essentially advocating to throw the baby out with the bath water over a single broken mechanic when everything else is working as it's intended. That's an absurd suggestion. The latter is the most sensible and logical choice given that it's only this one weapon that's a problem. Like I can't believe how hard this is to understand. You don't change your entire game over one weapon, and even at that, you don't do it when the alternative is to nerf it by a measly 10%.

Saw a video whrere someone was saying the Charge Weapon being nerfed was a mistake because aiming it requires skill EXACTLY as they were two-shotting the off-screen "wall" enemies in Rugged Ridge before the enemies even had a chance to attack. To no one's surprise, they weren't aiming, they were just shooting forward. It's almost like people can't fathom that they aren't as good as they thought because they used a weapon that needs to be nerfed, and so the rest of the game (and the dev) is wrong because using the weapon takes SKILL.

Honestly, the smoke dash probably needs a delay between dashes too based on how much I abuse it, haha. If that ends up being nerfed it'll hurt, but I'll know in my heart it's for good reason.

Ravelle

It's also the hardest run if you go for pacifist. My god those fucking schrimp.

I can't get past them without losing most of my health, I either get hit by them, that stupid seastar and/or fall in the water from getting hit and it becomes impossible to recover.

Saw a video whrere someone was saying the Charge Weapon being nerfed was a mistake because aiming it requires skill EXACTLY as they were two-shotting the off-screen "wall" enemies in Rugged Ridge before the enemies even had a chance to attack. To no one's surprise, they weren't aiming, they were just shooting forward. It's almost like people can't fathom that they aren't as good as they thought because they used a weapon that needs to be nerfed, and so the rest of the game (and the dev) is wrong because using the weapon takes SKILL..

I mean, how many off screen enemies are walking towards you in this game? I'm not getting how your anecdote of this person shooting forward lends itself to jump to the bolded conclusion. Obviously the other battles which make up the bulk of the game are far more convoluted and DO require precise aiming. It doesn't sound like he was using that particular moment of the game to rest his case, was he?

Like I can't believe how hard this is to understand.

I can't help you with that. I've explained it to you citing examples while you keep brushing broad statements that are blatantly false. Yet another example,

If you add more health than all of the other weapons require tweaking since charge would be the only viable weapon at that point

Your argument is that it is the only viable weapon NOW. So it sounds like no matter the changes, the weapon is the subject of discussion here, not the player nor the boss / stage design. If you know the boss' patterns , you can survive long enough for the damage output for any weapon to do its job. Is the chaser / spreader / boomerang (whatever its called) not a viable weapon to get through the entire game? Of course they are. I've seen streams of players using weapons I would never pick myself for a particular segment but they do so because it suits their playstyle to overcome the obstacle. Some may be better at aiming / timing their shots better than they are with dodging and enduring bullet hell, for example. With the chaser, let's say, you give up damage output but instead gain auto damage while you focus on avoiding everything being lobbed at you. Is anyone whining about why it's fair for bullets to automatically reach their target rather than have the player aim for it? No, and that's how absurd this discussion about the charge is . These weapons are supposed to be about Compromise. The charge should be OP and it is warranted for the expense the player pays when having it equipped, just like any other tool. If anything outside the weapon is broken (missing segments, for example), you fix that. I've died over 300 times in the game and having the charge weapon equipped didn't help me against that.

Just another reminder that less than 5% of people playing this game have beaten it but go on about how it breaks the challenge.

Teeth

Hey, Teeth here, and while you've stated that you've heard what I've said before on this, I thought I should clarify a bit more here.

You have stated that:
1) The charge shot isn't overpowered
2) The other weapons should be buffed to equal the power of the charge shot
3) Bosses should have increased health if the fights are too short

Now I'm going to assume that you realize that increasing the attack power of all of the weapons while simultaneously increasing the health of the bosses is a 0-sum solution.

I'm also going to assume that you realize "outlier theory" based on design goals. ie- if 90% of bosses can be defeated with "weapon A" 20% faster than all other weapons, "weapon A" is an outlier.

Charge shot is an outlier.

Based on the idea that you realize those two things, you therefore want the weapons to be buffed up to the charge shot, EXs and supers to be buffed on top of that, and only CERTAIN boss patterns to have extra health (ie- the ones you can bypass).

But if the design goal of bosses is to have them beatable in standard successful play (not MLG PRO PLAY...just good, old fashioned, smart, capable play) in just under 2 minutes, that would mean everything would get thrown out of whack.

Your "feeling" that the other weapons are too weak, is your apparent positive emotions of seeing bosses felled much quicker with the charge weapon. You like having a boss change phases within 20 seconds of fighting them. You just want shorter fights in general.

That's fine, that's an opinion to have, but I'd have to reference this post for why that doesn't really work out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251391323&postcount=3508
Because the bosses were designed with a certain damage output in mind and one of the weapons falls a decent amount outside of that damage output. It trivializes some encounters. You can crack off 3 charge shots and kill ph3 of the Bee fight. That basically means you don't have to play the 3rd phase if you pick the broken weapon.

Buffing all of the other weapons to damage output level would decrease the boss fight times by a huge portion. At that point, you'd be able to commonly beat bosses between 1:00-1:15. Successful boss fights were designed to be between 1:45-2:00. They are timed and sequenced and balanced for this.

If you really want to get into it, we can put some numbers on it so that it becomes clearer.

Let's take a boss that has 4 phases. Let's say we buff up all of the weapons so that they have damage output of the charge weapon at it's most broken. That leads to a 1:00 fight. That means each of the 4 phases lasts about 15 seconds. Let's say each of those phases has an intro animation that is about 3 seconds long. Add an additional second for the boss to come out of the intro animation and do it's first "tell" before attacking. So that's 4 seconds where you don't have to actually do anything. So we're down to 11 seconds of actual play time on a phase. When Cuphead takes a hit, he gets about 2 seconds of invincibility to recover. So that gives you a "free" 2 seconds where you don't actually have to worry about what's going on on screen. So we're down to 9 seconds where you have to be actually watching out what's happening on screen per phase. If you picked Super Art II (invincibility), you would probably only get to use it once per fight (because they are so short), and it gives you almost 5 seconds of invincibility. So divided by 4 phases, that's about another 1.5 seconds per phase where you don't actually have to be paying attention.

So we're down to 7.5 seconds per phase where you actually have to be watching the screen, reacting to what's happening, learning the patterns....you know, playing the game.

7.5 seconds.

Now, if we wanted to properly balance the weapons around the same damage output as the charge shot, we'd actually have to buff the EX shots as well. So that would take our boss fights times down even more.

So we'd probably be down to about 6.5 seconds.

Which would exacerbate the problem of not having enough time to get enough parries in to get either A) Have ranks mean anything, and B) Even have them be useful.

Now, to add to all of this, there are some bosses that have elaborate transition animations as long as 6 seconds. So that would cut some forms down to 4.5 seconds.

And some attack tells are held for 2 seconds...so in that 4.5 seconds of actually playing the game, you would have 3.5 seconds of actually having to react to certain attacks. Of actually playing the game, per phase.

That's a problem.

Also, Lobber is used in the current All Bosses Speedrun record so....nope.

So even if the weapon doesn't let you strictly skip phases, buffing up all of the weapons to the charge level effectively just removes actually playing the game in any material way (due to the accumulation of move invincibility, transition animations, animation tells, etc). And, again, if you want the boss health increased along with the weapon strength increase, it's identical to nerfing the charge shot.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

So even if the weapon doesn't let you strictly skip phases, buffing up all of the weapons to the charge level effectively just removes actually playing the game in any material way (due to the accumulation of move invincibility, transition animations, animation tells, etc). And, again, if you want the boss health increased along with the weapon strength increase, it's identical to nerfing the charge shot.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

I don't have a problem with ANY of the weapons. I'm afraid you have misunderstood. See added clarification on my point three posts above yours. Last paragraph. I do not think the others need to be buffed to match the charge. I don't think the charge needs to be nerfed. I may have misconstrued my meaning in a previous post. I argue any adjustments that need to be made should be around the bosses and th segments, not the weapons.

N° 2048

I'm so happy I can play games without over analyzing everything.

Perfect game to me, I will get this Robot boss. Damn it, I will!

I don't have a problem with ANY of the weapons. I'm afraid you have misunderstood. See added clarification on my point three posts above yours. Last paragraph. I do not think the others need to be buffed to match the charge. I don't think the charge needs to be nerfed. I may have misconstrued my meaning in a previous post. I argue any adjustments that need to be made should be around the bosses and th segments, not the weapons.
They can either nerf one OP weapon, or completely rehaul every single boss in the game while still having to rebalance every weapon because the Charge Shot will still be significantly more powerful than the others.

What do you think is the more reasonable decision here?

They can either nerf one OP weapon, or completely rehaul every single boss in the game while still having to rebalance every weapon because the Charge Shot will still be significantly more powerful than the others.

What do you think is the more reasonable decision here?

It isn't a false dilemma so I don't need to make one. They can make parry-able objects only found during the broken segments , tweak the rank system, nerf the invisibility art, or do nothing and make notes to consider for CUPHEAD 2 , WHOO!

jviggy43

This is hilarious. I don't even know what those suggestions have to do with charge shot being clearly over powered.

Additionally as others have pointed out, does that seem more reasonable than nerfing one single weapon by 10 percent? No it doesnt.

eso76

What about having it take longer to charge ?

I think that could make things more interesting while providing a more pronounced risk/reward balance leaving you open for attacks. As it is it doesn't take long enough for that to constitute a deterrent towards using it.
In fact, lack of autofire aside, that weapon basically has no drawbacks

What about having it take longer to charge ?

I think that could make things more interesting while providing a more pronounced risk/reward balance leaving you open for attacks. As it is it doesn't take long enough for that to constitute a deterrent towards using it.

Personally, I think a simple flat damage reduction would suffice quite nicely.

Milijango

Nine hours in with only 7 bosses and 3 run ‘n guns completed.

If you couldn’t tell, this is my first experience with the genre... definitely won’t be the last.
If I can beat Beppi.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, money to be made with 1000/1000 runs here.

Thankfully the annoying small airship achievement has 0g

If only there was a way to get Expert Mode earlier.

Izuna

Banned
Swapping the Shoot and Jump buttons makes the game easier as well as putting Fash on RB or something.

This is because the joint on your thump is harder to double tap than the tip. You can basically hold A and just use X for jump/parry without any natural delay. This makes parrying on your way up way easier.

There is almost never any need to double tap the shoot button, so it shouldn't be on X.

Bydobob

A better way forward for the charge shot is to give it a longer wind-up, rather than a damage nerf. Right now it’s too quick to charge, and coupled with the almost permanent vulnerability states of bosses, means there’s little consequence for missing. It’s only right that charge shots should carry high damage, but there needs to be more risk attached to its use.

With all that said I had almost as much success spamming the roundabout. Once you’re dialled into how it works, that weapon has amazing coverage. It trivialised the final boss for me.

BiggNife

For the last phase of the train, is there a better strategy than just using chaser and focusing on dodging everything?

Ive pretty much gotten the other phases down but the last one trips me up because it's so darn fast.

Izuna

Banned
For the last phase of the train, is there a better strategy than just using chaser and focusing on dodging everything?

Ive pretty much gotten the other phases down but the last one trips me up because it's so darn fast.

Keep the cart on the left, you can use Charge Shot -- jump and shoot or aim up-right.

The flame is easy to dodge, the only thing to look out for are the white spinners, they will go horizontal only.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Was the
Queen Bee
ridiculously easy for anyone else? After taking like 30 attempts to beat the
Pirate ship
I beat her in maybe 6 attempts?

tauke

Was the
Queen Bee
ridiculously easy for anyone else? After taking like 30 attempts to beat the
Pirate ship
I beat her in maybe 6 attempts?

Well it varies for different players.
The Pirate Ship
took me like 3 attempts (and I got lucky on the last phase when I accidentally parry the hyper beam lol) and
Queen Bee
took me like forever until I use the lobber

thuway

Gamerscore: 1000! Beat it on Expert, A Rank on all levels, and did the DAMN No Hit Dice Achievement (which didn't trigger the first time!). First game I've played where I get 1000 gamerscore. I loved every minute of it. It is hard but totally doable and FAIR. However, it's more or less imperative that you use the RIGHT combination of weapons / items. Here are some helpful hints:

- The U Around is the first gun you should purchase. It's a great gun for inexperienced players on new bosses. The projectile's are massive and hit every thing making aiming unnecessary and clearing secondary enemies with minimal effort.

- The Charge Shot is literally the best gun in the game. It is overpowered to the point of almost breaking the game and making other guns irrelevant. Use this as primary and U around for the ultimate combination.

- The best Super in terms of versatility and damage is Super II Invincibility + Charge Shot. Two Charge Shots > in damage than a single Super I. Don't be lazy and master the Charge Shot.

- +2 Heart is a power up you must be saving up for. You weapons weaken by 10%, but having almost double the amount of life is a trade off that isn't even worth questioning.

- Try not to rely on Smoke Dash too much. All the enemies in the game can be dodged with proper timing.

- Lastly, don't be afraid to get up close and personal to find the proper hit/hurt boxes. I found a glitch in the game. When you fight the Devil- after doing a few hits of damage- a Hurt box appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen. You can theoeretically avoid aiming at the Devil and just shoot this box:

DMNGudmVoAAGnlO.jpg

Developer: Here's a well thought out essay and analysis on why this weapon is broken and needs a nerf.

Players:

1dxet4.jpg

Not quite. It’s not so much that they’re wrong but that we think there are better alternatives. Nerfing the power affects play style using said weapon. There are stats being tossed around how the damage output should be reduced relative to the current output but if said new proposed output is marginally stronger than any other weapon on the menu, then you risk adhering to the same play style as those other weapons which is wrong.

This is hilarious. I don't even know what those suggestions have to do with charge shot being clearly over powered.

Additionally as others have pointed out, does that seem more reasonable than nerfing one single weapon by 10 percent? No it doesnt.

Sorry, I can’t help you with your stubbornness that prevents you absorbing other ideas . It’s fucking weird how you seemingly get off brushing aside any conversation that doesn’t line up to what a dev thinks. Troll elsewhere.

Ravelle

FINALLY GOT ROBOT.

Four fucking hours on it.
Wow.

I'm still stuck on that dragon, beat him on simple and beat the pirate for a palate cleanser but that damn last stage of Match stick, the flame thrower always blasts me when I'm trying to find a footing and sprays instantly. There doesn't seem enough time to correct myself and jump up or down to avoid it.

Top Bottom