• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Review Thread

I won't be playing this for another month, but I need to know only one thing from those who've completed it: do Nathan and Mimsy make appearances? I'm one of the ten people who think they're funny, see.

Please don't make me click through spoiler tags just to see scores.

Yeah, uh, what's up with that?

C.Mongler

So no spoiler tags then? Is that the general consensus?

Thought it would be better for the publications and maybe persuade people to go and read the reviews rather than just eyeball the score.

If people want them gone, ill take them out though.

Yeah, please dump em my dude. I can appreciate the intent, but at this juncture if anything it's persuaded me to not even read the score, let alone the entire review. If you want to entice people to read more the best way would probably be to pull some juicy quotes from the review to put under the score in your OP. But if folks just want to breeze through and look at scores, that's their prerogative too; no shame in that necessarily.

Shifty1897

Really ruffled by the Polygon review. Phil almost seemed pissed off he had to review the game. He may not be a fan of the source material, but it's safe to say anyone who is dropping 60 bucks on a game titled South Park will more than likely be a fan of South Park.

ArjanN

Ctrl-F "PC Principal"

Cheers Polygon.

Decent reviews. Seems like it's not reinventing much from the first game, and depending on how much you like the story some might prefer the first.

To be fair PC principal is a pretty terrible character.

Really ruffled by the Polygon review. Phil almost seemed pissed off he had to review the game. He may not be a fan of the source material, but it's safe to say anyone who is dropping 60 bucks on a game titled South Park will more than likely be a fan of South Park.

There will be plenty of reviews from South Park fans; there's nothing wrong about getting another perspective of a non-fan and what the game was like for him. There are people who haven't watched South Park for years who might be interested in the game for whatever reason (superhero theme maybe?) and I think there's value in reviews from the non-devoted.

Excited for this, but the superhero stuff is lame. Not sure it will click with me like the first game for that reason alone. I hate the superhero episodes.

eXistor

At work so not really able to read reviews, but do any of them mention the average playtime? I loved that I could pretty much 100% Stick of Truth within 14 hours.

/edit:eek:h I see someone mentuioned 30 hours...man that's way too long. I thought Stick of Truth was just about to overstay its welcome and then it ended. If it's twice the length that could really end up hurting the game for me.

pakkit

Banned

I found it to be an interesting read as a person who isn't really a South Park fan, but is a big videogame fan. It wasn't like the review mislabeled South Park's sense of humor either. I don't think a 7 is the type of score to get ruffled over.

Reviews are where I expected them. At a solid B. This is probably partially due imho to them trying to follow up what was essentially lighting in a bottle. The kids doing a whole fantasy themed universe was fairly unique. The kids playing superheroes right afterwards, particularly in an era where heroes are as popular as they are, was the next logical step. But the coon and friends episodes have never been the strongest episodes of South Park. While the lord of the rings/game of Thrones ones were amazing.

In a game that relies so heavily on the writing, it isn't surprising that some dislike it more than the others. We gotta remember that the first game was largely loved and the average score was like an 84 or 85 for the different versions. This being a few points below is understandable for a sequel.

angelic

Banned
Why? I'm out of the loop. What happened?

With this one person refusing to fund them the end is surely nigh.

giphy.gif

Looks inferior to the first game, but of course Obsidian isn't making this one..

Still, will buy.
Look I like obsidian but the first game being as good as it was wasn't because of them. The combat mechanics were essentially paper Mario. The game was as great as it was because of its writing and look to be carbon copy of how the show is. Obsidian making a solid combat system behind it was just icing on the cake, but nothing others couldn't replicate.

Kouriozan

As expected, French reviews are talking about the awful dub job by Ubisoft, who are disrespecting fans by using random VAs instead of the official ones.

Audioboxer

To be fair PC principal is a pretty terrible character.

That may well be the case for anyone that thinks that, but it just continues to produce some background laughter that some continue to want to hold South Park up to these standards of moral righteousness and a paragon of social justice. It's supposed to be humour and satire. It has been since day 1, when God, the Devil and red rockets were flying around. There's still goodness knows how many dick and fart jokes. It's not an educational show, or a narrated wildlife documentary.

As is always the case with South Park, everyone is fine with it till it lampoons you. Then it's time to talk about it being problematic.

SOCIAL JUSTICE WORRIERS

South Park: The Fractured But Whole has a strange, tense relationship with progressive ideology. There was a lot of controversy surrounding its ”difficulty setting" options, wherein difficulty is represented by the color of your skin: The darker your skin, the higher the challenge.

As it turns out, this option doesn't affect combat difficulty, but it does lead to some harsh comments from random characters. I chose the darkest skin available for my character. At one point early in the game, I walked into the police station and a cop shouted out, ”Who let this thug in here?" At another, a person sitting on a bench commented, ”South Park sure is getting urban," as I walked by.

Later in the game, a meeting with school counselor Mr. Mackey leads to you choosing your gender identity. You eventually get to define your sexual orientation, your race and your ethnicity. I was able to play the game as a pansexual agender black American, which is pretty stunning compared to what's possible for player choice in most games.

Of course, it's South Park, so it all has to come back to jokes — and those jokes sometimes cut in the wrong direction. The Fractured But Whole attempts to keep responses to these choices light and positive. For example, Cartman told my character that they ”don't look like a boy or a girl; you're kind of like Prince!" That's ... cool, I guess!

But the game was constantly jabbing at me for even caring about this stuff. The aforementioned meeting with Mr. Mackey balloons into a lengthy question-and-answer session where he tries to get every detail about your gender and sexuality right while seeming exasperated. And elsewhere, the PC Principal grants you ”social justice certification" and teaches you how to spot microaggressions in battle, which he then explains in detail. It feels like there was a tug of war in development of The Fractured But Whole between being surprisingly accepting and forward-thinking, but also making sure it's all still one big joke.

After all, you can't care too much. That wouldn't be cool.

Being offended isn't really my issue with The Fractured But Whole's humor. Rather, the problem is that so many of these attempts at comedy are astoundingly banal. The game's winking, nudging ”minorities, am I right?!" jokes follow a thread of humor from the show that barely made me laugh when I was 16 in the late '90s. In 2017, it just bores me. I couldn't care enough to be offended by it because I can't fathom who would find it amusing.

Keep in mind that just because you "grow up", doesn't mean "young people" don't exist in the world anymore. Imagine people younger than you still wanting to experience the kinds of things you did when you were young? How dare they. They should all mentally be 40~50 year old men by the time they are 16. Yes, we sometimes grow out of things we used to find funny, but that isn't simply some barometer of moral superiority. There is masses of people perfectly capable of moral righteousness that can also understand satire and humour and laugh at things without it having some sinister motive or you needing to sit yourself down in a room at night and meditate on how you dared laugh at a politically incorrect joke. Just like South Park can both on occasion be progressive, and then take a piss in everyone's orange juice. It's not really surprising to me the great social battle of the past 5 years or so has been around going after comedians and satirists with pitchforks. There's obviously fierce pushback to that, because humans guilted around being able to laugh and smile are not happy humans. Smiling and laughing is natures anti-depressant, and more people need to remember how to laugh in 2017 it seems.

Yukinari

Just to make this easier for myself.

How many reviews talk about the mechanics and improvements/changes from the original and how many are just about the show itself.

Kind of a shame if the gameplay and puzzles are flawed.

ArjanN

That may well be the case for anyone that thinks that, but it just continues to produce some background laughter that some continue to want to hold South Park up to these standards of moral righteousness and a paragon of social justice. It's supposed to be humour and satire. There's still goodness knows how many dick and fart jokes. It's not an educational show, or a narrated wildlife documentary.

As is always the case with South Park, everyone is fine with it till it lampoons you. Then it's time to talk about it being problematic..

Just because something is satire doesn't elevate it above criticism. The PC principal stuff on the show was just lazy and not very funny, so the problem wasn't that it was satire, but that it was bad satire.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
As expected, French reviews are talking about the awful dub job by Ubisoft, who are disrespecting fans by using random VAs instead of the official ones.

Well, it's not Ubisoft's fault if the French VA ask for much more money than other languages' VA, even TV channels refuse to dub latest seasons because of them.

benzopil

Typical Polygon review, don't bother

BTA

Destructoid said:
South Park is partially responsible for raising a subset of a generation of kids that can laugh at anything and that takes no subject too seriously. (Chances are you already know exactly how you feel about the previous sentence.) The Fractured but Whole steps right in line with this mindset. It's all on the table. It's usually funny but sometimes it falls flat, just like the last 20 years of the show. It's not afraid to try, though.

I need to stop looking at these reviews, but just... I’m not sure how you write that first sentence, in 2017, and continue on with a mentality of “might be good or bad idk”.

It’s bad! It’s actually, literally bad to not take anything seriously! That’s not a very complicated take.

Audioboxer

Just because something is satire doesn't elevate it above criticism. The PC principal stuff on the show was just lazy and not very funny, so the problem wasn't that it was satire, but that it was bad satire.

When the criticism is hedged around building South Park up to the moral paragon of humanity, just to knock it down, then said criticism itself gets satirised.

Not enjoying comedy/satire and absenting yourself from it, is one thing. Trying to pass off said comedy/satire as literally leading to the downfalls of humanity/social unrest/the end times is another. Especially when you start going after other people who are laughing just because you're frustrated they don't respond like you are. Jokes and satire that tend to walk the line in society are good purity tests for peoples abilities to handle their own emotions, and how strongly they actually have confidence in their own beliefs. If you crumble under a few jabs from an animated cartoon that lampoons everyone, you might need to ask yourself why you haven't built up more confidence and purpose behind your own beliefs?

Isaac Hayes is a good example of breaking the fourth wall with his demise on the show because Scientology got ridiculed. Although, I have seen some people say there were other pressures involved in that mess.

Demoskinos

honestly baffled that people still find south park funny. w/e though good news for everyone who was looking forward to the game I guess.

Ahasverus

honestly baffled that people still find south park funny. w/e though good news for everyone who was looking forward to the game I guess.
They still produce quality entertainment and have evolved from the original crass humor to social commentary, where's the surprise?

BTA

If you take everything seriously then what makes you laugh?

I don’t take everything seriously, but I do take some things seriously.

Which is to say what I quoted said “anything”, not “everything”. There is a difference.

With this one person refusing to fund them the end is surely nigh.

giphy.gif
Seems quite the leap from my actual position, which is "South Park has largely been a toxic force in our culture, so I don't want to support it with my money" to "I am hastening the death of South Park."

Getting really excited. Just skimming the reviews, it sounds like this might be my favorite kind of sequel. Not one that reinvents the wheel, but a sequel that takes what was good in the first game and really expands on it. Something like Suikoden 2.

N° 2048

Getting really excited. Just skimming the reviews, it sounds like this might be my favorite kind of sequel. Not one that reinvents the wheel, but a sequel that takes what was good in the first game and really expands on it. Something like Suikoden 2.

Yep, seriously so excited.

Matt and Trey weren't joking when they said if they make games they want to make it their way and the right way.

Hope all the success for this game.

drunkenbaker

Neo Member
Just picked this up from my local Morrisons, of all places. Hopefully I'll be able to make a start tonight.

The code for the free copy of the first game seems to expire on the 31st of January 2018, so you'd better redeem it before it's too late.

zsynqx

Awesome, can't wait to pick this up.

I think it's interesting hearing that perspective. The fact that he still gave it a 7 says a lot about the quality of the game.

jacobeid

Banned
Glad to see that this turned out solid. I was personally a bit concerned considering Obsidian isn't involved, but those concerns seem to be completely unfounded.

Seems long too! I don't think I'll be able to touch this for a while though... :/. I'll be curious to see user impressions!

Yukinari

This quote in particular from the Polygon review is probably how a lot of people would feel if given the chance to review it.

"I couldn’t care enough to be offended by it because I can’t fathom who would find it amusing."

Not every season of South Park is a winner but its been going strong so clearly some people find it amusing? Like i didnt enjoy Season 21 but 22 was more what i enjoy.

Top Bottom