• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey gets near-perfect score (39/40) from Famitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisD

All jokes about checks aside, I feel like 28-32 should be a standard in a format like this. A game below 7 sounds like it shouldnt take priority over much unless you just love the genre/look/Dev/etc. Because 6 is like.. that point where if someone was suggesting a game, they would also be throwing in a number of "you do have to deal with this sucky thing, though," type caveats. 7 is kind of like, "yeah, it's fun and worth playing," 8 is, "this game is really good," 9 is "holy cow folks it's not perfect but this game is so fun," 10 is a "you've gotta buy this game, trust me."

So if your score is just an aggregate of four people being asked to score from 1 to 10, 27 or below would entail someone handing out a 6.

Basically what I'm saying is that, if Famitsu didn't hand out so many 36-40 scores (or I seem to remember hearing they did), that score range is actually a really good place to be.

I know everyone's just joking around about the score being too low, but I think their system is a totally viable one

watershed

Banned
I wish I was on gaf when this thread was posted so I could have been the first to say "the check didn't clear." It's such an old joke at this point, it's barely even a joke anymore.

Neoweee

They've reviewed a shitload of games across 30 years. What type of distribution do you think is reasonable? That comes out to like only the top percentile of games to span the top 5% of their review range. I don't see why that is a LOL.

Square2015

That's actually higher than the scores they gave to the Galaxy games.

Galaxy: 38/40
Galaxy 2: 37/40

Seems like Famitsu staff aren't quite as enthralled with 3D Marios as much as the rest of the world is...

Japan in general is like this. Same with Zelda etc.

Famitsu has been giving these 39/40 scores way too often lately, so its value has been reduced down to nothing.

But then again, I am sure there is someone out there who just cancelled his preorder in a giant gasp of disappointment.

It's a sign that this game is not going to score that high.
Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

It's a sign that this game is not going to score that high.

I think it will hover around the 94-95 range on Metacritic (definitely not a 98... or 97 actually that BOTW had there).

I love BOTW, but a 97 it is not. A 90 mostly. A great open-world game, but a shitty Zelda game. Even though I agree with all of the criticisms of it, I still wouldn't give it less than 90.

Mario seems poised to not repeat the same mistake and depart so significantly from the template.

Japanese game not getting a perfect score from Famitsu is a disaster, Nintendo should just cancel this turd.

BOTW got 40/40 from them and yet it had a 98 (and eventually, a 97) from Metacritic. Pretty sure its indicative of Mario having 90-95 range on there.

I think it will hover around the 94-95 range on Metacritic (definitely not a 98... or 97 actually that BOTW had there).

I love BOTW, but a 97 it is not. A 90 mostly. A great open-world game, but a shitty Zelda game. Even though I agree with all of the criticisms of it, I still wouldn't give it less than 90.

Mario seems poised to not repeat the same mistake and depart so significantly from the template.
What the hell are you talking about?
BOTW got 40/40 from them and yet it had a 98 (and eventually, a 97) from Metacritic. Pretty sure its indicative of Mario having 90-95 range on there.
????

jariw

So if Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game, but a shitty Mario game, it should get lower scores...?

Chris1

So if Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game, but a shitty Mario game, it should get lower scores...?
Not the person you're quoting but yes and no

If FIFA started allowing you to pick up the ball and put it in the net like basketball I'd expect it to get crappy scores even if the game is actually good in its own right

What a Zelda game is has become so nebulous anyway that you just described a great Zelda game. But I’m not going to argue with you, it just seems hilarious that for every person intent on criticising Nintendo for sticking to their guns too often (something they’ve rarely done looking at their history) there’s one person that claims Oddysey is a “mistake” because it goes so far from the template.

What a Zelda game is has become so nebulous anyway that you just described a great Zelda game. But I’m not going to argue with you, it just seems hilarious that for every person intent on criticising Nintendo for sticking to their guns too often (something they’ve rarely done looking at their history) there’s one person that claims Oddysey is a “mistake” because it goes so far from the template.

I think Odyssey is still sticking to the template and not straying far from it like BOTW did. I generally think BOTW is a great game, but I still agree with all of the criticisms of it in this article: https://www.destructoid.com/breaking-down-why-breath-of-the-wild-is-highly-overrated-452329.phtml

We will see if Odyssey will follow a similar trajectory but I highly doubt it.

Investors gonna hold Kimi's feet to the coals over this at the upcoming meeting. Wouldn't be surprised if he's shamed into committing sudoku and Reggie takes over as acting CEO until a successor is named.

We already have a pretty good indication of what kind of a game Odyssey is. Its basically Sunshine/64 with better graphics and new mechanics. Its not seamless like BOTW, not open world, and won't court controversy due to a sparse story (in fact, people are noticing how there seems to be more story in Odyssey than in the earlier Mario games).

I think it will be a fantastic game and a great Mario game as well. BOTW I think was a great game, but had too many problems that could potentially be fixed in the next title (i.e. dungeons, enemies, unbreakable weapons, no shrines, no powers all given from the get-go, an actual story to remember, etc etc).

Odyssey seems to take the best of both worlds.

With that being said, I don't think it will be near Zelda score on Metacritic. I would be glad to be proven wrong, but I think it will stop at 95 as the highest score.

Just checking, disregard if I'm off base here, but do you not know how review aggregates work? Your less than 90 score likely would not have changed the MC score. It would still be 97 if you scored it 8/10 or whatever. It's a collection of nearly 100 different opinions, and you're asserting that yours outweighs all of them.

jariw

Not the person you're quoting but yes and no

If FIFA started allowing you to pick up the ball and put it in the net like basketball I'd expect it to get crappy scores even if the game is actually good in its own right

Like if Mario instead of being a character that jumps becomes a character that gets a jet pack on his back, or can transform into all kind of other creatures?

I think Odyssey is still sticking to the template and not straying far from it like BOTW did. I generally think BOTW is a great game, but I still agree with all of the criticisms of it in this article: https://www.destructoid.com/breaking-down-why-breath-of-the-wild-is-highly-overrated-452329.phtml

We will see if Odyssey will follow a similar trajectory but I highly doubt it.

Not to derail this thread as its supposed to be about Odyssey. But when you link an article about BoTW and one of the first sentences is that the game lacks charm or character, I start to doubt the journalist actually played the game at all.

Not to derail this thread as its supposed to be about Odyssey. But when you link an article about BoTW and one of the first sentences is that the game lacks charm or character, I start to doubt the journalist actually played the game at all.

You should read it to the end. All the crticisms imo are very valid. I will agree however that the game has charm.

But not to derail, SMO will gather a lot of 10/10, some 9/10 and the outlying 8/10 and ofc the mandatory it sucks 5/10

Just checking, disregard if I'm off base here, but do you not know how review aggregates work? Your less than 90 score likely would not have changed the MC score. It would still be 97 if you scored it 8/10 or whatever. It's a collection of nearly 100 different opinions, and you're asserting that yours outweighs all of them.

Yes. But I am just speculating based on Famitsu scores. By itself it wont do much and yet BOTW was 98 and then it dropped to 97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom