• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brother 19 |OT| Fake Apples, Real Snakes

Saying Paul would've won if it weren't for the jury is a bit like saying a football team would've won if not for the other teams defense.

The entire climax of the game is making sure that, at the end, the people voting hate the other guy more than you. Josh's tactic for that was to tell the evicted members the truth when they were evicted. Paul's was to lie to them and hope they never talk to each other in the jury house. One clearly turned out to be a pretty boneheaded move.
Big brother isn’t a game about competitions & backstabbing ONLY. It’s also about managing relationships. In the house for alliances and on the way out as jurors.

JohnsonUT

The entire climax of the game is making sure that, at the end, the people voting hate the other guy more than you. Josh's tactic for that was to tell the evicted members the truth when they were evicted. Paul's was to lie to them and hope they never talk to each other in the jury house. One clearly turned out to be a pretty boneheaded move.

Josh didn't win because of his goodbye messages. He won because he was sitting next to Paul. Credit to him for taking Paul.

Also, I do think that if the jury had been less "emotional" it would have been far, FAR harder for Paul to control the house so thoroughly. More rational players would have put him on the block at least one time. IMO, the players being so easily controlled goes hand in hand with the vote outcome.

xaosslug

Saying Paul would've won if it weren't for the jury is a bit like saying a football team would've won if not for the other teams defense.

i would not be at all surprised to find out that after production saw Paul's first post-eviction message they planted the seen in Josh's mind to expose Paul + apologize... Production giveth, production taketh away. xD

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have not watched yet, but do they show Josh taking Paul because he thinks he can beat him and has a plan? Or just still blindly following Paul's manipulations and Christmas bowing out?

Also, isn't all the strategy talk pointless with the revelation of an anti-Paul pact? It means Paul could have brought the couch the the end and still lost.

Farsi

kvohq2r.png

giphy.gif

TheYanger

Josh didn't win because of his goodbye messages. He won because he was sitting next to Paul. Credit to him for taking Paul.

Also, I do think that if the jury had been less "emotional" it would have been far, FAR harder for Paul to control the house so thoroughly. More rational players would have put him on the block at least one time. IMO, the players being so easily controlled goes hand in hand with the vote outcome.

His goodbye messages, whether he realized they were doing it or not, are what directly caused most of the jury to realize Paul was lying to their faces the whole time, while paul's goodbye messages attempted to sell a lie that was no longer relevant.

You can say Josh didn't PLAN that to happen, which I think is fair, but you can't say his messages weren't important. Every time someone got evicted you could see their face as they watched those things and the realization that creeped in.

JettDash

His goodbye messages, whether he realized they were doing it or not, are what directly caused most of the jury to realize Paul was lying to their faces the whole time, while paul's goodbye messages attempted to sell a lie that was no longer relevant.

You can say Josh didn't PLAN that to happen, which I think is fair, but you can't say his messages weren't important. Every time someone got evicted you could see their face as they watched those things and the realization that creeped in.

Oh please. Even without the goodbye messages they would have figured put it was Paul. His mist wasn't strong enough that it would continue to work evem when they were in jury (well except Raven but she's nuts).

TheYanger

Oh please. Even without the goodbye messages they would have figured put it was Paul. His mist wasn't strong enough that it would continue to work evem when they were in jury (well except Raven but she's nuts).

I didn't claim that they wouldn't? But there's a difference between having to piece something together that isnt' blatant, and literally having "HEY I TRIED, I'LL WIN FOR US PAL" right next to "Paul Christmas andI are in an alliance I'm so sorry" directly next to each other for each and every member of the jury the instant they're voted out. They saw first hand what Paul was up to, immediately, because of those messages.

I would've liked to see Paul win but I'm ultimately satisfied with the outcome. It's poetic justice at its finest.

I disagree with the notion that this is a " bitter " jury. Jurors in the past respected those who evicted them and were even impressed with the gameplay. Derrick in season 16 would be a good example of this. Once you're out, there really is no reason to hold a grudge against someone and you start scrutinizing the game styles for your final vote.

Paul on the other hand, did not own up to what he did. He presumed to think that pretending to be oblivious to what is happening to the house would guarantee him the votes of jurors, the same jurors he tried so hard to evict without having " blood on his hands "and treated them for idiots who wouldn't be able to figure out his schemes once they go to jury house. His goodbye messages are the perfect example of why his jury-management was his downfall again.

You could also argue that it was fair gameplay and that certain jurors' votes shouldn't be unwinnable from the get-go but Paul proceeded to bully and ostracize houseguests depending on his own interests. He just didn't give them enough reason to vote for them after turning around the final questions where he could've been honest because the game ended at that point. Josh was partially transparent and I believe it's why he ended up winning the game.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
My wife swears that previous seasons did not show evicted house guests a goodbye message that said "I was in an alliance with X".

She is annoyed Paul lost, and says that the editing of the goodbye messages screwed Paul while helping Josh.

I need to find evidence to prove her wrong!! A week of cat box cleaning is on the line.

natjjohn

My wife swears that previous seasons did not show evicted house guests a goodbye message that said "I was in an alliance with X".

She is annoyed Paul lost, and says that the editing of the goodbye messages screwed Paul while helping Josh.

I need to find evidence to prove her wrong!! A week of cat box cleaning is on the line.

I’m pretty positive messages like that are fairly common

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

They’ve done it before. They tend to avoid doing it if the person evicted has a shot at coming back or if the person evicted is going to jury though. So in that sense, yeah they did do it to fuck with Paul.

_Isaac

They’ve done it before. They tend to avoid doing it if the person evicted has a shot at coming back or if the person evicted is going to jury though. So in that sense, yeah they did do it to fuck with Paul.

LOL wow. That's the exact goodbye message I was going to respond with.

E92 M3

Sucks that Paul didn't win - he deserved it. Josh didn't do much except bang pans.

And I wasn't surprised Cody won America's favorite - he's a cool dude.

Sucks that Paul didn't win - he deserved it. Josh didn't do much except bang pans.

And I wasn't surprised Cody won America's favorite - he's a cool dude.

I'm glad Cody won it. Paul was getting the house to rile up and make Cody miserable. That's bully tactics. Mark saw this as well and because of this, Cody and Mark voted for Josh. They knew who was pulling the strings. Josh would not have done if he didn't have a safety net with Paul.

Man, I get the feeling Cody will go off on the Amazing Race if anyone even seems like how Paul and others were in the BB house.

If I'm CBS, I put Paul and someone on there too just for the rage Cody would have to find out Paul is competing against him, again.

I've found out its an unpopular opinion to have, but I sort of would love a TAR season where half the teams are former Survivors, and the other half are former BB houseguests. TAR is one foot out of the door, and this would bring in new viewers who only watch the other shows. Gimmicky, but the real goal is to keep TAR on the air as long as possible. I personally put the three shows: Survivor > TAR >>> BB.

BB has the best format, arguably, but the casting is just the worst. Way too many people who don't watch or respect the game.

lenovox1

BB has the best format, arguably, but the casting is just the worst. Way too many people who don't watch or respect the game.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't all dumb 20-somethings with similar career and life backgrounds. Well, I guess BB 19 was half dumb 30-somethings.

Top Bottom