• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Redux is real and will be unveiled "this side of E3"

awww, I'm playing Last Light via PS+ and kinda felt like missing out because the first game never came to PS3. Now I don't know if should stop playing and wait for this :/

RoKKeR

Will buy the SHIT out of it when it releases!

Also: "Past, Present, and future." New Metro game, please! I live for this shit!

Weren't there reports that 4A was shelving the franchise after Last Light and moving on to something else?

I love the franchise so I hope that's not to case but I remember seeing a story of that nature.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm excited to check out the Metro games, but man - all these HD reduxes this early in the generation is becoming a disturbing trend. I've been around for a lot of gen transitions and never seen this before. What's worse, people are lapping the shit up, meaning pubs are just gonna keep doling them out.

Just something to consider when you're supporting these. I'm not saying don't, but I think we should be careful, as what happens early in this gen is going to be important as to how it plays out.

These posts drive me crazy because they are just plain silly. First off, why is it a disturbing trend to see games getting re-released? You seem to act like releasing these get in the way of releasing new titles. You say you've been around for a lot of next gen transitions, but seem oblivious to the fact that both the ps3 and 360 had backwards compatibility and therefore had no need to get HD re-releases.

They are done with minimal cost, require little effort. You don't have to buy them and it's a GREAT opportunity for people who haven't played them to experience them with better graphics. Plus, they also provide revenue to find development. Everybody wins.

These are being re-released because they need games to fill out the release void. The games that take full advantage of the next gen systems need to have their time taken to be developed properly. Having HD-remastered versions is a nice stop gap.

Besides that, what other option is there? Not release them?

I'm sorry, but you telling us that we should be wary of this is just plain ridiculous.

This will be like, the third time I buy the Metro games.
And that's totally OK.
I'll buy it even if I don't have a damn PS4 at the time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I never got a chance to play 2033 and I downloaded Last Light via PS+ and still haven't gotten around to it, but with this, I might jump on it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I never got a chance to play 2033 and I downloaded Last Light via PS+ and still haven't gotten around to it, but with this, I might jump on it.

Last Light was a great game. Play it, but it can be a frustrating platinum due to all of the conditions it places on getting the good ending.

GavinUK86

Already own, and completed, both, many times on PC but I wouldn't mind going through the metro one more time on my PS4. Hopefully this isn't an April fools.

scitek

I'm excited to check out the Metro games, but man - all these HD reduxes this early in the generation is becoming a disturbing trend. I've been around for a lot of gen transitions and never seen this before. What's worse, people are lapping the shit up, meaning pubs are just gonna keep doling them out.

Just something to consider when you're supporting these. I'm not saying don't, but I think we should be careful, as what happens early in this gen is going to be important as to how it plays out.
I agree it's an important time, and I think it's a good way to let devs know the frame rates and IQ we got last generation were unacceptable.

Sotha_Sil

No, they fill a niche. There aren't a lot of next-gen consoles in homes right now, and these HD remakes are cheap and easy to do compared to developing a brand new IP or game from scratch. They're filler until the install base increases, which is when the bigger projects are more likely to become profitable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I got the game on PS+ and according to DF, it runs around and over 25fps on PS3. As such, I wonder if it is worth the wait.

In addition, would anyone know if they will be holding "Ranger Mode" as a pay-wall hostage in the re-release?
I think it'll probably be included. The only reason it was separate was because of THQ but they couldn't take it away after Deep Silver became their publisher since it was already offered as a preorder bonus.

JayEH

Glad we're not getting some B.S. answer or no response like some other companies cough cough SONY.

Rambone

Hmm maybe I might get around to playing these games now. I own both Metro and Last Light but have failed to play either one of them for more than 10 minutes. I love Stalker like games but these titles got lost in the shuffle due to other games that have quickly consumed my life then and now.

Alpende

I'll buy this. I skipped Last Light because of the new consoles. Hopefully they don't ask full price but offer it for 30-40 euros or something.

DieH@rd

Banned
1920_VH.png

PS4 has enough power to run Last Light at Very High in 1080p30, although console API optimization and presence/absence of tesselation/physx/goodAA effects will play a crucial role in the final performance of the game.

In any case, game will look great on PS4.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
1920_VH.png

PS4 has enough power to run Last Light at Very High in 1080p30, although console API optimization and presence/absence of tesselation/physx/goodAA effects will play a crucial role in the final performance of the game.

Agreed! I can't wait to see how good it looks!

Great game and I loved their candid response. Although, the way I read it he says something is coming, but not necessarily this, this was just one idea at one time. If a version does release with improvements, I hope my pc version benefits, unlike the Tomb Raider definitive thing.

GlamFM

Banned
Am I reading too much into it?

This image makes it look like only 2033 will be "reworked" (REDUX´ed).

Don´t get me wrong - I´m fine with that.

2033 brought up to LL level in terms of playability and polish and both up-resed?

thDBpmy.jpg

DieH@rd

Banned
2033 brought up to LL level in terms of playability and polish and both up-resed?

I dont think they will change gameplay in Metro 2033. Redux will most probably mean that entire M2033 game will run inside Last Light engine.

M2033 is still a damn fine game, and they would be foolish to try to make it into something different now.

Mask

1920_VH.png

Yep, console optimisation can do magical things. If this does include both the Metro games, I'll be there day one. Last Light on PS+ was fantastic, and the developer DLC's AI arena waa awesome.

GlamFM

Banned
I dont think they will change gameplay in Metro 2033. Redux will most probably mean that entire M2033 game will run inside Last Light engine.

That would totally qualify as "re-worked" for me.

Shooting wouldn´t feel bad anymore.

Cant´wait.

derExperte

Am I reading too much into it?

This image makes it look like only 2033 will be "reworked" (REDUX´ed).

Remember that they called these slides outdated. But LL doesn't need a remake, the PC version already looks more nextgen than some nextgen games. What they could (or rather should) do is one Mega-Metro, rebuilt the 2033 levels, finetune them (especially the stealth sections) and make it one huge story as both games are strongly connected.

GlamFM

Banned
Remember that they called these slides outdated. But LL doesn't need a remake, the PC version already looks more nextgen than some nextgen games. What they could (or rather should) do is one Mega-Metro, rebuilt the 2033 levels, finetune them (especially the stealth sections) and make it one huge story as both games are strongly connected.

As DieH@rd suggested they will probably port 2033 to the LL engine.

Hope that means the shooting in 2033 will be just as good as it was in LL.

derExperte

As DieH@rd suggested they will probably port 2033 to the LL engine.

Hope that means the shooting in 2033 will be just as good as it was in LL.

But they said "we think the reality is a lot more exciting than the out-dated material that got leaked shows" which implies there'll be more than just a 2033 remake.

R_Deckard

I was convinced this was an April Fool's gag.

I stand corrected and am really happy as I never played this on PC or Last Gen, I will pick this up for PS4.

But also I must salute them for such a honest and deserved response from the leaks that treats us gamers as the more educated customer base we are..great new and I dof my cap to you 4A Games..
Leo-Toast.gif

i-Lo

I think it'll probably be included. The only reason it was separate was because of THQ but they couldn't take it away after Deep Silver became their publisher since it was already offered as a preorder bonus.

Ah, thanks. Curious to know if you've had an opportunity to play it on PS3 and if you would do it again on PS4?

1920_VH.png

It is kind of misleading because it is also using top of the line intel CPU. That said, I hope the optimization (shifting applicable loads from CPU to GPU) ought almost or outright negate that shortfall at a fixed framerate and resolution. That said, I am not expecting 1080p rather (around 900p).

R_Deckard

Ah, thanks. Curious to know if you've had an opportunity to play it on PS3 and if you would do it again on PS4?

It is kind of misleading because it is also using top of the line intel CPU. That said, I hope the optimization (shifting applicable loads from CPU to GPU) ought almost or outright negate that shortfall at a fixed framerate and resolution. That said, I am not expecting 1080p rather (around 900p).

Yeah I think 1080/30 will be easy, with some tweaks maybe even an unlocked FPS with upto 60...Now I say it, yes..I think 1080/60 PS4 is the aim..Go A4 games!

DinHerio

Banned

They'll destroy the overhead and optimize for multi-threading. Problem solved. I expect "very high" settings without proper AA on 1920x1080 at 30fps. Should be possible.

i-Lo

They'll destroy the overhead and optimize for multi-threading. Problem solved. I expect "very high" settings without proper AA on 1920x1080 at 30fps. Should be possible.

I think the devs will do an admirable job (if possible). However, it is best to temper one's expectation on the visuals aspect as well. I expect the game to be at 900p@30fps between Medium and High settings with FXAA at best with anything extra being cherry on top.

More importantly, I hope they fix what was broken (including bugs) in 2033 in the redux version.

I've never played these but I've always heard good things. Without spoiling anything can some please tell me what makes these games so great?

Is it the story?

Gameplay?

What?

I'm genuinely curious. I want to try them out.

Top Bottom