• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Speaking of audio, will it be possible to use headphones for sound while playing on the TV or is that limited to when you are gaming on the WiiU pad screen? Probably been answered before but I can't remember.

TheJerit

Speaking of audio, will it be possible to use headphones for sound while playing on the TV or is that limited to when you are gaming on the WiiU pad screen? Probably been answered before but I can't remember.
I wonder if theyll have an option in the os for this? Def makes sense.

DjRoomba

Banned
My receiver supports hdmi, but only for the picture. Sound will come through the HDMI cord, but for some reason only Dolby Pro II "fake" surround sound. Its slightly old, but I think even alot of modern ones are set up this way. Since optical is pretty standard for surround systems its a little disappointing Nintendo is overlooking this.

I sincerely hope the headphones are for all, not just pad, games. Thats what I assumed. And like I mentioned in a previous post, I hope they are making sure that it produces high quality sound through the headphones, cos that could be a key feature of the system.

This is my actual view. Things have always gone in cycles with these threads. It would be nice to see the title changed back.

I think just taking out the "hardware" part and calling it Wii U Debate Thread: Of FLOPS And Flippers would suffice.

Aww.
I thought it could add to the suspense in a horror game, especially if you have them randomly vibrate as well.

There's so much you could do with a set of wiimotes and a tablet that would enhance the immersion.

Oh gosh the first thing I thought about was Fi's low battery jingle coming from 4 wii remotes in ghetto surround :(

Personally, I can't see it working as a substitute for surround sound, but it could be kinda cool as an alternative for games like Eternal Darkness. Place wiimotes around the house to hear creaking, footsteps, knocking, breathing, bugs, etc. You know, simple sounds.

Roo

I think just taking out the "hardware" part and calling it Wii U Debate Thread: Of FLOPS And Flippers would suffice.

Oh gosh the first thing I thought about was Fi's low battery jingle coming from 4 wii remotes in ghetto surround :(

Personally, I can't see it working as a substitute for surround sound, but it could be kinda cool as an alternative for games like Eternal Darkness. Place wiimotes around the house to hear creaking, footsteps, knocking, breathing, bugs, etc. You know, simple sounds.

those speakers are still to shitty for that.
Get a surround or 3D audio system instead :D

Optical is a very common solution for surround sound, both home theatre and headphone/stereo mixamps. It its a high quality solution they predates HDMI compatible mixers. Anybody who does not use a HDMI mixer for both the image and audio signal will thus be unable to use surround sound.

I understand that. My post was not saying it wasn't an issue at all only that the idea that Nintendo was making a "big mistake" was probably an exaggeration when you actually get down to what percentage of people it effects. I still think both that and ethernet are pinny pinching moves that really shouldn't be implemented. Then again Nintendo isnt including an AC adapter with the 3DS so nothing really surprises me.

My receiver supports hdmi, but only for the picture. Sound will come through the HDMI cord, but for some reason only Dolby Pro II "fake" surround sound. Its slightly old, but I think even alot of modern ones are set up this way. Since optical is pretty standard for surround systems its a little disappointing Nintendo is overlooking this.

That's only in older receivers, from the early days of HDMI. These days pretty much any receiver with HDMI should support full sound from the HDMI - in fact, it's required for the more advanced audio formats that Blu-Ray supports, because optical doesn't have the bandwidth to handle them.

It is odd that the Wii-U doesn't do optical though, it should be pretty cheap to add. One option for you, many TV's have HDMI-in, and optical out - you could do it that way if your TV has that option.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
So with the new found knowledge that console flops are twice as good as regular flops and with epic saying UE4 gets interesting on GPUs over 1Tflops does that mean that the Wii U only needs a 500-600 Gflop gpu to run UE4 well? :)

those speakers are still to shitty for that.
Get a surround or 3D audio system instead :D

Oh I already got that covered :D

I was just trying to be encouraging for the sake of conversation. And I applaud SquiddyBiscuit for trying to break up all the spec-talk a bit :p

Plus, his idea may not have been "good" but it was actually pretty clever in theory.

HylianTom

Banned
This may be a nutty family sometimes, but dammit, its our family. Keep this shit in one thread.
I tend to agree. The topics here are like the weather events: they come in cycles and if you don't like 'em, you can wait five minutes. I like how this is pretty much the de facto, one-stop-shopping Nintendo community thread, an isle of comfort in a landscape that can be not-so-comfortable.

ADANIEL1960

Neo Member
From what i have seen there does not seem to be other vieo / audio connections other than HDMI. What if you do not have a TV with an HDMI connection? Is Nintendo really only going to cater to HD only?

MDX

Crazy idea here:

What if you could place 4 different wiimotes around in your room, and use them as surround speakers while you're playing on the tablet?

I like that.

Really simple sounds like scratching sound of rats in your walls.
Or a marble being dropped on a hard floor.
Would be enough to add some immersion in a horror game.

Antagon

From what i have seen there does not seem to be other vieo / audio connections other than HDMI. What if you do not have a TV with an HDMI connection? Is Nintendo really only going to cater to HD only?

Wii-U-Back-Ports-hdmi-usb-video-out-power-sensor-bar.jpg

What's labeled as video out should be video and audio out, just like the Wii.

D-e-f-

Banned
TP had the most fleshed out sidestepping system and combo-wise, stuff like being able to roll around enemies really makes SS seem stiff at first; oh, and running and using the sword at the same time. The level design was fine, I mean it was metroid prime-y and that kind of level design didn't ruin the mystery and exploration for that.

It's the over-relying on assisted features that did, (was it called douse? you doused everything!) and the missed oportunities in level design, but the concept and way it was build was fine, just the streamlining that was a little on the overdone side.

Yea I really loved the Wind Waker-based combat with the rolling around and stuff. Made Link feel like a badass finally!

That's while why I love that Skyward Sword exists, I'd be totally fine with it being the only WM+/sword-puzzle game in the Zelda series. Skyward Sword's main focus seemed to be puzzles both environmental and combat-centered. The game always gave you a very specific thing to do and told you "here's this situation, deal with it" instead of "well, now go somewhere and find something to do (maaaaybe check out this area somewhere over there?)!" like in Ocarina of Time, for example.

In an ideal world, they would go back to the well (original The Legend of Zelda on NES) and do a modern take on that formula again. You start the game, someone goes "It's dangerous to go alone, take this!" and the rest is on YOU to discover. Skyrim (which basically is Zelda 1 but with more stats and dialog) but with Nintendo design philosophy and polish.

In addition to that, I'd prefer the concept of Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening in which Link is already a Made Man with a sharp blade on his back, knowing how to use it instead of the young boy who goes on The Hero's Journey to Discover The Power That Lies Within Him.

How else would they track wiimotes?

with love.

obviously.

----

oh and here's small blast from the past that shows not much has changed seemingly:

IGN.com said:
IGNcube: When did work begin on the GCN version of the title?

Sam: Soon after Blood Omen 2 for PS2 and Xbox were released games like Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness came out on GameCube and made us re-evaluate the GameCube as a viable platform for games targeted towards older audiences. Within a few weeks we had our first working version.

sound familiar? :D

IGN.com said:
IGNcube: Finally, what do you think of the GameCube hardware? How would you rate its power versus PS2 and Xbox? Has it been easy to develop for?

Sam: The GameCube has its plusses and minuses. Its graphical output is great, but the limited amounts of RAM and disk space were a big challenge for us.

I guess if you switch the pros and cons here that sounds like where Wii U is going? :)

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 interview about the GCN version from 2002.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/377/377943p1.html

bonus bits:

IGN.com said:
IGNcube: Blood Omen on PS2 had a sometimes-sluggish framerate. In our play so far, the GCN version runs at 60 frames. Can you talk about this?

Sam: Sure, the GameCube has a fantastic graphics chip. We were definitely impressed with the performance increase.

IGNcube: What other changes have you made to the game with its transition to GameCube, if any?

Sam: The major changes we made to the game technically were due to the reduced disk space and smaller amount of RAM. Everything had to be compressed then uncompressed on the fly as it was streamed off the disk. Our conversion team did an outstanding job.

I'm not the most affluent tech buyer, but my TV has optical out and headphone jack on it. Seeing as the TV is the visual media hub, that makes sense, no? Wonder if most TVs in Japan have optical.

darthdago

Have seen a bit talk here about a Wii U GPU based on a HD 6xxx.
So maybe what I post now is old stuff but I still think it's a good summary.
It was posted on a page that I think is NOT banned here:

http://www.nintengen.com/

It says following:

As many of you know, just a few days ago I posted a story that confirmed that the specs of the Wii U dev kit that was leaked earlier last month were true. What maybe was not made clear enough in that post was that those specs were from a dev kit from late last year and some of the things were to change. It is nice though that we can at least confirm what developers were using at the time.

Now, some things have happened over the last few months while Nintendo has prepared the final dev kits to be mass produced for the Wii U. Back in March Nintendo signed a deal with Green Hills Software, the largest independent vendor of embedded software solutions. The Wii U will be using Green Hills Software's MULTI integrated development environment to maximum reliability, maximum performance, and minimum code size. You can read more about it at the link below:

Link to Green Hills Software Press Release
http://www.ghs.com/news/20120327_ESC_Nintendo_WiiU.html

Back in May of this year it was announced in a different press release from ALT Software that the first Embedded GPU from AMD to use Green Hills Software will be the AMD Radeon E6760.

Link to ALT Software Press Release
http://www.altsoftware.com/press-ne...gl-graphics-driver-architecture-embedded-syst

The older dev kit's for the Wii U were using GPU's that were basically the AMD Radeon 4850, which Nintendo was telling developers that the performance would be roughly equal to in the Wii U's final GPU. To put this into perspective though, the HD 4850 would have never been what the final Wii U GPU would be using anyway since it pulled between 130-240 watts of power consumption and was built on the 55nm process. Also, some of the features of the 4850 are already 4 years old with better and more efficient standards being used today (DirectX 11 for example). So where does the AMD Radeon E6760 fit in all this? Take a look at the specs of this GPU:

AMD Radeon HD E6760 Specs
http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...60-Embedded-Discrete-Graphics-Processors.aspx

The E6760 scores a 5870 in 3D Mark Vantage which is higher than the HD 4850 despite the card only running at 35 watts! Not to mention the 40nm size factor of the E6760 is exactly what Nintendo announced the size would be last year for the Wii U GPU. Now of course the final Wii U GPU will still be custom made with other features made specifically for the system, but it would make a lot of sense if the GPU ends up being heavily based on the E6760 especially with the power consumption being so low.

So is all of this just a strange coincidence or do we finally have a good idea of what GPU will be powering the Wii U?

Posted by Metaldave at 12:00 AM

So all in all credits for that to Metaldave

It says following:

As many of you know, just a few days ago I posted a story that confirmed that the specs of the Wii U dev kit that was leaked earlier last month were true. What maybe was not made clear enough in that post was that those specs were from a dev kit from late last year and some of the things were to change. It is nice though that we can at least confirm what developers were using at the time.

Now, some things have happened over the last few months while Nintendo has prepared the final dev kits to be mass produced for the Wii U. Back in March Nintendo signed a deal with Green Hills Software, the largest independent vendor of embedded software solutions. The Wii U will be using Green Hills Software's MULTI integrated development environment to maximum reliability, maximum performance, and minimum code size. You can read more about it at the link below:

Back in May of this year it was announced in a different press release from ALT Software that the first Embedded GPU from AMD to use Green Hills Software will be the AMD Radeon E6760.

http://www.altsoftware.com/press-ne...gl-graphics-driver-architecture-embedded-syst

The older dev kit's for the Wii U were using GPU's that were basically the AMD Radeon 4850, which Nintendo was telling developers that the performance would be roughly equal to in the Wii U's final GPU. To put this into perspective though, the HD 4850 would have never been what the final Wii U GPU would be using anyway since it pulled between 130-240 watts of power consumption and was built on the 55nm process. Also, some of the features of the 4850 are already 4 years old with better and more efficient standards being used today (DirectX 11 for example). So where does the AMD Radeon E6760 fit in all this? Take a look at the specs of this GPU:

http://www.em.avnet.com/en-us/desig...60-Embedded-Discrete-Graphics-Processors.aspx

The E6760 scores a 5870 in 3D Mark Vantage which is higher than the HD 4850 despite the card only running at 35 watts! Not to mention the 40nm size factor of the E6760 is exactly what Nintendo announced the size would be last year for the Wii U GPU. Now of course the final Wii U GPU will still be custom made with other features made specifically for the system, but it would make a lot of sense if the GPU ends up being heavily based on the E6760 especially with the power consumption being so low.

So is all of this just a strange coincidence or do we finally have a good idea of what GPU will be powering the Wii U?

Nice find.

Think that's just expanded on from what BG and others were talking about yesterday. The guy who writes that blog keeps tabs on what's discussed on here... maybe even a member.

*Beaten.

Roman

It was actually posted on Go Nintendo :p

And that site got it from us, we discovered and posted this first.

de Blob would be interesting but I heavily doubt it's that. It's impossible to predict because they could be hired by many different publishers for porting.

darthdago

So the immediate stupid question that pops up in my head is what score would xbox 360 gpu get?

I actually googled it but did not really find anything concrete.

I dont think that you can compare it that easy if its an old result of a 3D Mark test.
the X360 GPU would have to run the same new 3D Mark test (with all features) like the new GPU then you will finally see that the new GPU can do actual tasks better.
e.g. if u take 3D Mark results from 2008/9 from the HD4850 then it has 7000+ ...
But I doubt that on an actual 3D Mark version it would achieve such high numbers.

ASIS

It says following:

What does that mean exactly?

Earendil

What does that mean exactly?

It means that if the WiiU GPU uses this as a base, it could have somewhere in the neighborhood of 576 GFLOPs, which according to some gets doubled when you put it in a console, so effectively makes it 1152 GFLOPs and above the 1 TFLOP marker for UE4 to 'get interesting.'

pulsemyne

If you read the spec sheet of the GPU then its sounds very much like the kind of GPU we would expect in the WiiU. Power draw looks about right. The GFLOPS is pretty much bang on the estimates people have made as well. With a tweak here and there it probably is the GPU that forms the base.

darthdago

It means that if the WiiU GPU uses this as a base, it could have somewhere in the neighborhood of 576 GFLOPs, which according to some gets doubled when you put it in a console, so effectively makes it 1152 GFLOPs and above the 1 TFLOP marker for UE4 to 'get interesting.'

...and it means that WiiU has a very modern GPU (yes it is cos its released beginning 2012)
and it has all the modern features needed by some engines to run...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Skeletal Animation, yes.

It was more impressive on the wolf.

They actually added skeletal animation on OoT remake, albeit not as polished, because of the way the game is designed no doubt. It's really flickery at points (in certain frontier-like positions won't stop changing position whilst trying to find the right one).
Nice!

I hope they add skeletal animation to the individual Pikmin for the new game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If you're unhappy with the state of software discussion in this thread, you certain can.

Now, I'm certainly not telling people to do this, but if you want to make a new Community thread, it would be my personal suggestion that you talk for a bit in this thread and decide on what you want the rules to be in the Wii U Software Discussion thread.

I would suggest one of the following three options:

1.) Only announced games.
2.) Only announced and potential games, but not specifically deconfirmed games.
3.) Any announced or potential Wii U game at all, even if it is deconfirmed.

I would think that option 2 is the best, since I feel discussing the next Zelda or a Wii U version of Watch Dogs would be a lot more fun than discussing only what is announced, and also feel that discussing those would be a lot more fun than debating if Crystal Dynamics is dumb or not.

However, if you want to pick another option instead or make an entirely different rule altogether, or even no rules at all, by all means feel free.

You can also feel free to make any other (reasonable) rules that you want. For example, whether or not you want to debate if (insert third party) is supporting the platform, and if so, how much they are. You can also continue discussing software in this thread after the new one is made, since inherently hardware is most important in terms of what it does for software.

You also don't need to make a new thread at all if you would prefer to just keep all the discussion in this thread, but I just wanted people to know that they had the option available if they feel the amount of hardware discussion in here was making it hard to discuss games.

Since these are community etiquette rules, you won't get banned for breaking them, but you may feel free to PM a mod to have any hardware based derails deleted or moved back into this thread, depending on which you feel is more appropriate. PMing either EatChildren or myself would likely be the most prudent choice, since I can't guarantee other mods will actually come by and delete or move the posts.

Since I might not be back here anytime soon, feel free to go ahead and just make the thread in Community if you feel it is appropriate, and if it gets locked by someone else while I'm gone, simply PM me and I will go talk to them and tell them why I approved it, at which point it will presumably be unlocked.

So people know, I'd be behind something like this. I don't think it's about splintering the community or anything, but instead designating Wii U discussion between software and hardware.

Fact of the matter is, we're seeing a lot of discussion about the Wii U's hardware, moreso than anything else. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does tend to dominate the thread. Curiously, there appears to be more hot debating and discussion going on about the Wii U's guts than there was the 3DS, Vita or any console in recent memory.

Nintendo is pretty quiet about software for the moment, but I wouldn't be opposed to a Wii U software general, which instead focuses on announced/confirmed/rumoured software and ways in which these games will be played. It would allow people perhaps a little intimidated by the hardware focused discussion to share thoughts, ask questions, and maybe offer impressions from the Wii U Nintendo tour thing.

Random question:

I don't own a PS3 or 360, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you email a PS3/360 owner and have them receive it on their system like you can with the Wii?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I personally do not think a new software thread is needed. This one already moves slow enough as it is.

Frankly, the reason there is so much hardware discussion is because there hasn't really been anything new software wise since E3.

I think as we get closer and closer to launch things will even out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom