• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Louis Wu

green and blue could also be referencing a new alien ally. For instance in the military "blue" is your own troops, "green" is the foreign allied troops.
could be as simple as sea and sky.

Ugh - spoiler-laden post at the top of the page. :( Sorry.

(Halo 4 OST-based speculation, to make life easier)

GhaleonEB

Ah, so that's what Frankie hinted at by alluding to wub wub outside of the core OST. Sounds promising.

Though, the Amazon description is a little confused since it's describing a project that is NOT part of the actual OST. I'm guessing both are officially announced today and featured in the bulletin.

I'll update the OTOHFUCK

DeadNames

Banned
Is the Halo 4 OST small compared to the others? I've never bought any other OST...

It seems to me that it's tiny.

Also, wat at the Amazon description. I think I'd rather have cool orchestral music rather electronic.

About that Halo 4 OST, amazon put this description in.

"The Halo 4 Soundtrack is destined to become the most successful selling gaming soundtrack ever. Microsoft / Xbox will be shortly announcing a ground breaking collaboration between Halo 4 composer / producer Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame and 16 of the world s most renowned electronica remixers including Skrillex vs Knife Party, Sander Van Doorn, Gui Boratto, Caspa, DJ Skee, Bobby Tank, Matt Lange and Apocalyptica to mention a few. The Halo 4 game and Halo 4 Soundtrack are global priority releases for Microsoft / Xbox and the OST will be released on October 22nd, two weeks before the game release on Nov 6th 2012. There will be a fully strategized global PR campaign co-ordinated by Edelman PR and highlights include a global Halo 4 remix app competition launched in September 2012 in conjunction with Soundcloud, Facebook and Xbox. The Halo Waypoint website (http://halo.xbox.com) will place and prioritise a pre order microsite which sees monthly traffic of over 1.2 million unique user per month. Also + 6 exclusive free download remixes via a unique redemption voucher including 3 remixes and 3 Neil Davidge tracks from the Halo 4 Game"​
ipk0u6j3nqjubzcust.gif

I just recommend canonical chronological order if you want to get up to speed.

If you're not sure about Halo books period, try Evolutions, the collection of short stories, and see if you're into it.

another common pattern folks use:

Reach and First Strike and Onyx, then the Karen Travis book(s), then Greg Bear stuff.

Depends what you want to get out of it as it relates to your play experience.
Hi Frankie, I've been meaning to ask if The Forerunner Saga will go on even though Greg Bear signed for writing only 3 books Or will his Silentium Novel end its Trilogy?

Karl2177

Karl is hoping for a Justice remix, Sai is hoping for a Glitch Mob remix, and zerofire is hoping for a SBTRKT remix. I have a feeling all of us will be disappointed, but yet still enthralled.

Hi Frankie, I've been meaning to ask if The Forerunner Saga will go on even though Greg Bear signed for writing only 3 books Or will his Silentium Novel end its Trilogy?
And at the same time as all that, we're deep into Greg's third book in the Forerunner Trilogy. I was tempted to type last, but I just can't bring myself to. And I don't see any reason why we would want to stop working with Greg, so I ain't saying it and you can't make me!
http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines/post/2012/05/02/The-Halo-Bulletin-5212.aspx
Let's say all of the tracks are 4 minutes by coincidence. Would it be considered small then?
The Dark Knight Rises OST would be shorter than that. But we are talking about a video game. We shall see but It does not look small for me.
Karl is hoping for a Justice remix, Sai is hoping for a Glitch Mob remix, and zerofire is hoping for a SBTRKT remix. I have a feeling all of us will be disappointed, but yet still enthralled.
M83 please.

I will say how awesome it is that the soundtrack is being released before the game. That's going to be a sweet way to get hyped for the game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
"The Halo 4 Soundtrack is destined to become the most successful selling gaming soundtrack ever. Microsoft / Xbox will be shortly announcing a ground breaking collaboration between Halo 4 composer / producer Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame and 16 of the world s most renowned electronica remixers including Skrillex vs Knife Party, Sander Van Doorn, Gui Boratto, Caspa, DJ Skee, Bobby Tank, Matt Lange and Apocalyptica to mention a few. The Halo 4 game and Halo 4 Soundtrack are global priority releases for Microsoft / Xbox and the OST will be released on October 22nd, two weeks before the game release on Nov 6th 2012. There will be a fully strategized global PR campaign co-ordinated by Edelman PR and highlights include a global Halo 4 remix app competition launched in September 2012 in conjunction with Soundcloud, Facebook and Xbox. The Halo Waypoint website (http://halo.xbox.com) will place and prioritise a pre order microsite which sees monthly traffic of over 1.2 million unique user per month. Also + 6 exclusive free download remixes via a unique redemption voucher including 3 remixes and 3 Neil Davidge tracks from the Halo 4 Game"​

never heard of a single one of them. feelin' old.

Sai-kun

Banned

I will be amazed if ANY of those three are on there. I would die @ a SBTRKT or Justice remix of a Halo song, for real.

edit: give me Zedd, please.

Holy fuck!

These guys aren't electronica. They are a Finnish Cello trio (formerly quartet) plus a drummer. They did some of the music for that MAG game. They started off in '96 with an album of Metallica covers on cello. They've changed around a bit but their distorted cellos are pretty iconic.

They played during Mag if you played on the SVER faction.

They've just recently broke into the US mst notably because of their collaborations with Christina Scabbia and some other vocalists where they have completely radio friendly, mainstream dribble :p They're instrumental stuff is far superior.

Here is a track from their latest album I think which is quite a change from their earlier stuff.

The dudes are quite reputable cellists with Perttu attaining a lifetime chair in the Helsinki Philharmonic orchestra. Dude can fucking shred!

Saw them live in '07. Shit was crazy. how they can headbang and play cello whilst standing I'll never know. That concludes our lesson on how Apocalyptica ain't electronic artists (although they themselves have collaborated with a Japanese electronic artist).

FyreWulff

Oh snap Apocalyptica. They're like one of the bands that if I had endless money, I'd have them write the soundtrack for one of my games.

DesertFox

If DEllis or Frankie are reading and can provide clarification... Is the Recuit armor restricted to LE purchasers? Or can it be earned/unlocked through playing the standard edition?

I'm really hoping that the LE skin is the only exclusive there. Seeing as how the Recruit armor is the only armor I've seen so far that actually looks good and fits with previous versions of MJOLNIR, I'd really love to use it but I've got the standard pre-ordered currently.

tldr: Is the Recruit armor exclusive to the LE or can it be earned/unlocked through regular play?

heckfu

Banned
If DEllis or Frankie are reading and can provide clarification... Is the Recuit armor restricted to LE purchasers? Or can it be earned/unlocked through playing the standard edition?

I'm really hoping that the LE skin is the only exclusive there. Seeing as how the Recruit armor is the only armor I've seen so far that actually looks good and fits with previous versions of MJOLNIR, I'd really love to use it but I've got the standard pre-ordered currently.

tldr: Is the Recruit armor exclusive to the LE or can it be earned/unlocked through regular play?

I hope it's exclusive to LE buyers. Would make sense that if they/we shell out the money we should have something exclusive. Right?

I feel like I had this discussion just yesterday and I know people feel very strongly on the other side of the issue, but if it doesn't affect gameplay then I have no qualms about having pre-order exclusives.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for tagging the (potential) spoilers.

I don't care about the remix album, but I'm sure some folks will like it, so cool.

DesertFox

I hope it's exclusive to LE buyers. Would make sense that if they/we shell out the money we should have something exclusive. Right?

I feel like I had this discussion just yesterday and I know people feel very strongly on the other side of the issue, but if it doesn't affect gameplay then I have no qualms about having pre-order exclusives.

Right - and that makes sense. I agree that the unicorn should be exclusive. The part that confuses me is that we've seen the recruit armor in the flag gameplay and in cutscenes with Chief. I'd just like to know ahead of time if I need to buy LE to get that, or if I can earn it later down the road with the Standard.

I have no idea how a SBTRKT remix would work but I'm sure it would be awesome. I think a Modeselektor remix would be amazing though.

And aside from Skrillex, Knife Party, and Caspa I have no idea who the rest of those are

edit: fuck, now I wish I had brought my headphones to work so I could listen to SBTRKT and Modeselektor

Myyke

Neo Member
Right - and that makes sense. I agree that the unicorn should be exclusive. The part that confuses me is that we've seen the recruit armor in the flag gameplay and in cutscenes with Chief. I'd just like to know ahead of time if I need to buy LE to get that, or if I can earn it later down the road with the Standard.

The way I see it Fotus/Recruit are essentially the Halo 4 equivalents of the Legendary Flames armour effect that was marketed for Reach. I doubt that they will be made available through regular play.

Woorloog

Banned
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2012...ease-date-for-the-halo-4-soundtrack-revealed/

There you can hear some samples. Thanks for David for tweeting it.

More here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/08/22/halo-4-soundtrack-neil-davidge_n_1819736.html
http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/neildavidge.html

Besides the standard edition release, the 23rd will also see the release of the 2-disc Special Edition box set which includes the soundtrack as well as 14 remixes from electronic producers and rock musicians. While the standard edition will run you about $13.98 USD, the Special Edition will set you back $75 and include a 70-minute DVD with behind-the-scenes footage featuring the creation of the soundtrack, a hardcover book focused on the making of the soundtrack, a print signed by Davidge, a 12" disc featuring Cortana and the Master Chief, and an exclusive Avatar tee download code. You can order that directly from Halo Waypoint.

Sai-kun

Banned
So was it ever announced who did the music for H4 UNSC weapon video?

Alvin Risk, I believe

fake edit: son of a bitch there's a special edition OST?

god

fucking

dammit

edit 2: List of remixers! Track names in spoilers.

Awakening
– Gui Boratto Remix
Green And Blue
– KOAN Sound Remix
Requiem
– Bobby Tank Remix
Ascendancy
– Caspa Remix
To Galaxy
– Sander Van Doorn & Julian Jordan Remix
Haven
– Hundred Waters Remix
Revival
– DJ Skee & THX Remix
Ascendancy
– Matt Lange Remix
Nemesis
– Alvin Risk Remix
Solace
– Maor Levi Remix
Arrival
– Norin & Rad Remix
Green And Blue
– Andrew Bayer Remix
Foreshadow[/sp
oiler] – James Iha Remix
The Beauty Of Cortana
– Apocalyptica vs. Neil Davidge Remix

holy shit andrew bayer and maor levi

Praise 343. also, I'm willing to bet that the track from the UNSC weapon video is the remix track listed with Alvin Risk...

L1NETT

Special Edition will set you back $75 and include a 70-minute DVD with behind-the-scenes footage featuring the creation of the soundtrack, a hardcover book focused on the making of the soundtrack, a print signed by Davidge, a 12" disc featuring Cortana and the Master Chief, and an exclusive Avatar tee download code. You can order that directly from Halo Waypoint.

Christ. That is about £48?

Expensive stuff, this Halo 4.

FyreWulff

You really gotta get out of legacy. Wasn't the only reason it was created was to emulate the N64 Era FPS's?

Yeah it sucks that some games don't have it, but I think dev's just don't think to put it in.

Yes, and never. Also, OGXbox Counterstrike supported it.

Top Bottom