• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe |OT| Ninjas Play Free - PS4

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Huh, I remember seeing F2p and instantly turned away, but this looks legitimately awesome, will definitely give it a whirl.

This will be my first F2P game ever.
Can't wait to jump in.

my first real F2P that I like enough to put more than 2 hours in. 500+ hours now. Not your typical subpar boring grinding ass mmo. Super fast action packed ninja in space and coop. Also, tons of grinding if you don't want to pay a dime haha

X-Frame

So I'm not sure if this makes sense as a comparison, but how does this compare to ME3 Multiplayer from a tactical point of view?

For example, are there power combos or player combos? Different ammo types? Do bosses have certain strengths and vulnerabilities that certain classes can take advantage of?

Just curious, thanks!

Wait, does Warframe really have split-screen co-op? o.o

i'm still very skeptical, but it would be an amazing surprise if true. I'd go buy a second controller right away if I find out its in.

my first real F2P that I like enough to put more than 2 hours in. 500+ hours now. Not your typical subpar boring grinding ass mmo. Super fast action packed ninja in space and coop. Also, tons of grinding if you don't want to pay a dime haha

do you have an idea how much you've spent on it? Any tips for which stuff is worth buying moreso than others?

Pro Tips : Nova and Rhino are OP.
Loki, Mag, Nyx, Nekros and Vauban are insane.
Avoid Trinity, Exaclibur and Volt.

Stick with your group. Don't be a douche. Help downed friends. Shoot at stuff. Have fun. Check the wiki for everything.

Actual protips:
Nova is a glass cannon. She can be played solo but it's best in a group.
Volt will be a speedrunning team's best friend.
Trinity will save your team during high level defense and survival missions.
Nekros is a great partner when grinding.
Vauban is incredible during Infested missions.
Bring Loki for Void missions (maybe not defense or survival though)
Frost is pretty much a requirement for any defense mission.
Is Mag still useless?

Wait, does Warframe really have split-screen co-op? o.o

i'm still very skeptical, but it would be an amazing surprise if true. I'd go buy a second controller right away if I find out its in.

I was starting to doubt my memory, but I asked my wife and she distinctly remembers us playing split-screen at PAX too. That's why Warframe was her favorite PS4 game at the show.

But looking on the net there are hardly any recent previews or info. So I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

Is everything available through grinding or are there like cosmetic stuff to buy?

I was starting to doubt my memory, but I asked my wife and she distinctly remembers us playing split-screen at PAX too. That's why Warframe was her favorite PS4 game at the show.

But looking on the net there are hardly any recent previews or info. So I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

yeah, I would imagine the devs would hype up that feature too.

So looking forward to this! Pre-ordered!

PSN: nondual

Time zone : EST (I work midnights though, so may be playing late at night/early AM)

Always loved this design since it's first reveal, was saddened when they reskinned it.

But I'm glad they brought it back, game looks gorgeous

ObiDin

I'm seriously looking forward to this. If there is split screen, then it could be glorious. One question, are the 4 revives per day too limiting?

Syril

I'm seriously looking forward to this. If there is split screen, then it could be glorious. One question, are the 4 revives per day too limiting?

Not really from my experience. It's pretty easy to tell if it would be a better idea to just give up and try again from the beginning instead, and you can be revived by teammates an unlimited number of times.

Watched some vids and am now very hyped for this, wish I knew more about this game sooner lol. Love Gears and Mass Effect co-op and the style of this game is cool as well.

Damaniel

Banned
How 'free' is this game? I wouldn't mind paying if the game isn't overly excessive with microtransactions - the idea that you've got a limited number of rezzes per day already seems kind of bad. What does it actually cost to get more? How much are frames and other accessories? And most importantly, is the game strongly pay to win? I know there's a few people out there who claim they can beat everybody with starter equipment no matter how well-equipped their opponents are, but that's usually bullshit.

(In other words, is there any hope of fun for a person who doesn't want to grind for hundreds of hours to get stuff, yet doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy stuff, either? Not that I mind grinding, or paying, just not an excess of either.)

Spazznid

How 'free' is this game? I wouldn't mind paying if the game isn't overly excessive with microtransactions - the idea that you've got a limited number of rezzes per day already seems kind of bad. What does it actually cost to get more? How much are frames and other accessories? And most importantly, is the game strongly pay to win? I know there's a few people out there who claim they can beat everybody with starter equipment no matter how well-equipped their opponents are, but that's usually bullshit.

(In other words, is there any hope of fun for a person who doesn't want to grind for hundreds of hours to get stuff, yet doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to buy stuff, either? Not that I mind grinding, or paying, just not an excess of either.)

I've spent over $400 on the game and my friend has spent $0 and we both have multiple maxed frames and play all the time together. No content is locked and most of it is easy enough to get within a day or two and max within a day or two if you know what you're doing.

do you have an idea how much you've spent on it? Any tips for which stuff is worth buying moreso than others?

Spent about 40 euros. I'm a collector so I want all frames and you have limited slots. Each slots cost you Plats (real money). Same for weapons slots but I don't keep all weapons just super rare ones or really good ones/I like/I use.

Spend Plats on Orokin Reactors (warframe buffer) and Orokin Catalyst (Weapon buffer) usually called Potatoes. Any items as 30 levels, one point for mod per level. A potato will double the points per level. More points for more mods means more powerfull weapons and Warframe.

Don't buy weapons or warframes. Prices are insane. Don't buy Plats at full price. Wait for -50% or -75% Plats price reduction as daily reward on login.

Don't buy Helm. They drop on Alerts mission everyday. Just be patient.

Is everything available through grinding or are there like cosmetic stuff to buy?

You can buy all weapon and frames for money expect Primes. They are more powerfull or tweaked version of Warframes (3 for now, Frost, Mag and Excalibur but this last one is only for Founders and the program closed so it won't be on PS4 I guess) they are obtainable through Void mission, and require parts (blue print, barrel, stock and reciever for a weapon). These pieces drop based on a drop table for each kind of Void mission and difficulty. This is pure grind. No money will make you get Prime stuff or better drop for it.

For the rest : every other warframe can be farmed expect Vauban, it's parts are only available on Alerts missions. It's random. Follow the twitter feed WarframeAlerts and be there when they drop. One alert every 40 to 60 min. Last for about that long. One Blueprint (Weapon, Alternative Helm, rare resource) every 3 to 4 hours.

A warframe is to be farm on boss : you run the boss kill him, extract and you are reward with a blueprint : Helm, Chassis or System. You need the three. Once you have one, you need to build it (12h build time for most of the items of the game, 24h for rares, all can be build instantly against Plats). Once you got all 3 pieces built, go to market and buy (in game credits) the Genreal Blueprint for your new warframe. It will make you assemble all three parts into a shiny new warframe : it takes 72h.

Cosmetic can't be bought with in game credits (colors palettes, scarfs, avatars, sentinels parts...) only Plats. They don't drop from Alerts Missions.

Some melee weapons are droping only in Alert Mission.

td:lr : there is no gameplay content (warframe, weapons) you can't get without grinding, although you will be very limited with inventory without putting a bit of money. Just be patient for the very end game Prime stuff and for some of the alternative helm or frame that drop only in random alerts missions

Black-Box

Pro Tips : Nova and Rhino are OP.
Loki, Mag, Nyx, Nekros and Vauban are insane.
Avoid Trinity, Exaclibur and Volt.

Stick with your group. Don't be a douche. Help downed friends. Shoot at stuff. Have fun. Check the wiki for everything.

I play with a guy who uses Trinity. We can almost go the whole game without taking any damage.

The limited rezzes are only if you die in mission. If you don't die, you can play as much as you want. Frames and weapons are kind of expensive, but if you play smart they're not that hard to acquire through the game itself. The game isn't really pay to win, especially because it's co-op. But also, the biggest winning factor is far more in your skills and your powers vs your weapons, and skills & powers you get naturally through the game rather than buying.

I am a relatively "casual" player overall and have had a *blast* with the PC version.. i've sunk about 25 hours into it so far and spent a whopping $10 (got impatient and when I got a 75% off platinum coupon I jumped on it, then used it to directly unlock the new frame I wanted)

K.Sabot

Hope this game gets a good second wind. Really cool game with great style, just needs some writing and scenario to make it perfect.

Damaniel

Banned
The limited rezzes are only if you die in mission. If you don't die, you can play as much as you want. Frames and weapons are kind of expensive, but if you play smart they're not that hard to acquire through the game itself. The game isn't really pay to win, especially because it's co-op. But also, the biggest winning factor is far more in your skills and your powers vs your weapons, and skills & powers you get naturally through the game rather than buying.

I am a relatively "casual" player overall and have had a *blast* with the PC version.. i've sunk about 25 hours into it so far and spent a whopping $10 (got impatient and when I got a 75% off platinum coupon I jumped on it, then used it to directly unlock the new frame I wanted)

Well, it sounds far less bad than most F2P games. I did jump on the 'pre-order' promotional deal and I plan to give it a try at some point.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this on PS4. I've played the game on and off on PC for 50 hours or so and while it has certainly had some rough patches in the development, it is a pretty fun game. Looking forward to importing my PC data and playing with people who use mics.

And for those that had played the PC version a while ago and quit due to having to grind too much for rare drops, that isn't really an issue anymore.

So I'm not sure if this makes sense as a comparison, but how does this compare to ME3 Multiplayer from a tactical point of view?

For example, are there power combos or player combos? Different ammo types? Do bosses have certain strengths and vulnerabilities that certain classes can take advantage of?

Just curious, thanks!

During the action, the game is less strategy focused than ME3, but Warframe is a quicker game where mobility is more important and you are more likely to be swarmed by enemies.

In combat, the strategy comes into play in several ways:

-Since your character is so mobile, there is increased consideration of where to be and how to get there, whether through climbing, running up or along walls, sliding, dodging, dashing, or using a character specific mobility ability if your character has one.
-Melee is really fleshed out in this game, and different attacks will have different effects on enemies. Aside from just mashing melee, you can charge up a strike (which will do a lot of damage if you have the time to execute it), a diving strike (which can knockdown enemies), a ground strike on a single knocked down enemy that does a ton of damage, or a sliding strike (which can do a fair amount of damage to several enemies from a distance)
-You have four character-specific powers that draw from a single pool of energy, so you have to be careful with what and when you choose to use. There are no preset combos between powers, but some powers will naturally complement others. Often, you have to think about how to react to a teammate using a power to best exploit what it does temporarily to enemies.
-Many enemies have a weakness to a property that you can apply to weapons.

Outside of combat, the strategy comes through crafting and modding. You can use resources and blueprints acquired in game to craft weapons and frames, although this is a lengthy process. You can also craft a Sentinel, which is a personal flying drone that will shoot enemies and act according to how you equip it. You collect mods in missions that you can use to upgrade and augment your frame, each weapon, and your sentinel. You have much more freedom in how to mod your character than by just picking from a few items on a skill tree. I would check a wiki on the details of modding because not only is it a pretty detailed system, there have been a few new parts added to it in the past couple months that I don't have any experience with.

While there are plenty of cosmetic things you can buy (as well as weapons, frames, and resources) from the market with Platinum (premium currency), most of the frames and weapons can be made through crafting them.

When you complete a mission, you get credits and may get a couple mods or resources. In addition to credits, there are about a dozen different resources to collect in mission throughout the game, some of which can be pretty rare. Also, for reaching certain waves in survival instances, beating a boss, or completing certain missions, you can get blueprints. These are for weapons, sentinels, or for pieces of a new frame. For a weapon, you can craft it if you have the blueprint and the required resources, while for a frame, you need the master blueprint and the three competed pieces of the frame, each of which requires a separate blueprint and resources. Many weapon blueprints and many master frame blueprints can be bought with credits from the market, and most aren't that expensive.

Also, there are Alert missions, which randomly occur and are only available to launch for a select period of time from the main menu. These missions have a preset award for completing them that often can't be obtained anywhere else in the game (except the market, of course). Out of the dozens of weapons and 15 frames in the game currently, I think that only about ten weapons and a couple frames are restricted to drops through Alerts.

It's about time someone made an OT.

I made an OT for WF the day it launched on Steam, but it got moved to Community like a day after and nobody saw it *whines*

But, this OT is 100x better, and directed towards the PS4 I suppose :)

PC side has a GAF clan and an OT here if anyone wants to hang out sometime!

Pop

So what happens after you lose your 4 rezzes? When you die the next time, do you just start from the beginning again? Can a teammate rez you? I'm a little confused on this topic.

K.Sabot

So what happens after you lose your 4 rezzes? When you die the next time, do you just start from the beginning again? Can a teammate rez you? I'm a little confused on this topic.

You can be rezzed, but you can't self rez. Essentially, the revives are for wipe situations.

You can be rezzed, but you can't self rez. Essentially, the revives are for wipe situations.
You have 4 rezzes that you really only use when no one else can rez you? Can they rez you after you've bled out?

Am I to take it that the only time you'll need to revive is when everyone's dead and you must revive yourself and then rez everyone else?

This game is actually really fun. I'm not sure how paid content will be priced without Platinum. I guess it'll be real world currency instead.

Aside from that, nearly anything can be crafted from blueprints and resources. The only things I haven't seen blueprints for are cosmetic items like scarves and helmets. Weapon/Warframe slots are paid for as well.

You can be incapacitated. During that time teammate can revive you.

If no one revives you, you die and a prompt comes up asking if you want to revive.

If you die 4 times, your team is just awful! :p

If you have another Warframe, you can go play that one. Every Warframe has 4 separate revives. However, if you don't, I guess it's game over for the day unless you're willing to pay for more revives.

But honestly, I've NEVER experienced dying that many times, ever. 9/10 times someone will come to help you. So it's nothing to fret over :)

Pop

You can be incapacitated. During that time teammate can revive you.

If no one revives you, you die and a prompt comes up asking if you want to revive.

If you die 4 times, your team is just awful! :p

If you have another Warframe, you can go play that one. Every Warframe has 4 separate revives. However, if you don't, I guess it's game over for the day unless you're willing to pay for more revives.

But honestly, I've NEVER experienced dying that many times, ever. 9/10 times someone will come to help you. So it's nothing to fret over :)

That's good to hear.

biggest issues with warframe imo is, soloing is pretty damn boring, group play in randoms, everyone just runs off like they are speed running killing everything, while you are left with nothing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
warframe6sesc7.gif

iGhLtjuT0pwsk.png
Not sure how I'll find time for all these games but I definitely want to play this.

Pop

Oh, shame on me. I forgot to mention, if you run out of revives, you CAN STILL PLAY your Warframe. Just, if you die again, then you're SOL.

What's the highest difficulty? What if I never use my revives, could I just get kicked out?

Top Bottom