• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

Nillansan

I am about to start my first play through of TW2, I tend to play most games with a controller, is it a viable option in this case? I'll stick with the old combat system (thanks for the impressions).

Ok I just tried out the mod in the fights in the prologue and I honestly don't see much of a difference. In fact I didn't know the mod was on until I stood still and Geralt started blocking attacks automatically

You can move while blocking now, probably the most obvious way to see if it's working.

I have a copy of each witcher for gog you can have for free. I mentioned I was going to give it away a page back no one asked me for it

FACE

Banned
Regarding the text:

Flash said:
Hey, guys. As you've already noticed, unfortunately there's a bug in mod installer. Localization file is installed in wrong directory so you won't get new skill descriptions. To fix this issue, please move en0.w2string file from
\Documents\Witcher 2\UserContent\fcr2_arena\
to
witcher_installation_folder\CookedPC\
before overriding the file make a backup.
Sorry for inconvenience. I'll reupload fixed installer when Redkit website becomes more stable.

I reinstalled this game earlier today and played the prologie with the old version, now I played two hours with the new mod.

gotta say I prefered the old version. sure, geralt reacts quicker to input now, buts its somehow too fast, it looks a bit silly even, I'm fine with the pirouette, although the roll did not bother me at all.

but I have nod adjustet yet to the new blocking, I feel I have a bit less of control, doesnt really seem right.

but all in all, the differences can hardly be called a full combat rebalance, if they would have just patched this, I would never have noticed the difference.

Honestly I agree, I could have played the game again and never noticed if it was changed other than block is now a weird quen thing.
I also agree Geralt is a little TOO responsive now. It sounded good on paper but in practice he moves around like lightning now and I feel less connected to him than I previously did.
I'm a little worried the combat in TW3 will be a bit shitty now too

That's how Geralt should've moved from the start, Witchers are supposed to be faster and more skilled than humans.

I intalled this but I have a message error. Launching the mods through the launcher and the game boot up but I have no idea or indication if the mod is running through a new game or not.

Played the Prologue up to the encounter with Aryan La Valette. Combat is different, but in subtle ways. Running towards crossbowmen and automatically deflecting their arrows is badass stuff, some Metal Gear Rising shit right there. It feels pretty weird to use Quen as a standard block, but I'll take it. Also, it's nice how enemy blocks aren't stopping my attack strings anymore. I think shielded enemies can still parry Geralt's sword, but I need to test that. Still, I'm digging sword fights now. And Yrden still laughs at heavy swordsmen and shield soldiers, so that's cool.

New Experience system (getting EXP from quests only) is working out pretty well. I'm not going to make any final judgments on the new combat mechanics until after I complete Chapter 1. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy fighting Letho with these changes.

EDIT: I just loaded up the game to read the descriptions of the new skills. The Magic development path has a late skill that allows you to decrease the defense rating of nearby enemies using Geralt's medallion. Holy crap, that changes things.

sueil

The mod is amazing. I am pretty deep into act 1 and the new combat is much better than the original. Is pretty easy to get used to.

Varna

Gave it a quick try in the arena... movement feels the same. Really sucks. I hate how floaty the entire thing feels.

Does anyone have a link to the TW1 complete files that were posted in the original OT? I can't find them anywhere. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea I've played through most of Act 1 now and I definitely like the new combat better, Geralt feels much better to the control. Dig the new talent trees too.

Overdoziz

Banned
I played the game for a minute a couple of days ago, but couldn't continue on because of the horrendous input lag. Does this mod fix that?

DorianD

So I played with the mod enabled for about ten minutes and found that the combat is better than before. However, even though my game is installed on my 1TB drive, the mod installs on to my SSD which takes way too much space (60GB SSD). Oh well, perhaps another time when I have a larger SSD, but worth the venture to play with it enabled.

So I played with the mod enabled for about ten minutes and found that the combat is better than before. However, even though my game is installed on my 1TB drive, the mod installs on to my SSD which takes way too much space (60GB SSD). Oh well, perhaps another time when I have a larger SSD, but worth the venture to play with it enabled.

I have a SSD and dont have this issue I use a 2nd drive for my games and the mod let me choose where to install it

RedSwirl

I asked this in the GOG Summer Sale thread but got no answer, but since this is specifically about The Witcher 2's combat, I'll ask again:

So how is The Witcher 2's gameplay? I played The Witcher 1 for a while, but couldn't finish it based on how bad the combat was. Battles seemed to rely too much on the potions you've prepared before the battle to buff you, rather than any worthwhile decision or strategy made during the battle (for example, with the different swords and stances, there was only one right option and the others that would get you killed quickly). Are things any different or better in the sequel?

Witcher combat in general puts a heavy emphasis on preparation, especially going into monster hunts.

Flash said:
OK,
Since today, suddenly mod's audience increased from one guy to thousands of players, few bugs were discovered in matter of hours after mod release.

So,
- becoming stuck after using upgraded Axii - fixed,
- no charm effect on enemy after using Axii - looking for the cause,
- wrong install directory of localization strings - fixed,
- overpowered Igni - fixed,
- need to reintroduce stamina regeneration cooldown after Sign use - done,
- fix roll/piruette direction while strafing - wip,
- add info about restarting the game, not using old savegames with the mod installed - done,
- fix typos in readme and translation - wip,
- scale dark difficulty down,

- tutorial, I'll probably leave it as it is.

Did I miss anything?
Thanks for your patience. That's a nice motivation boost.

Now, to sleep, to work, back to the mod.
I'll update the mod this weekend.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hard/Dark difficulty is just impossible now (at least for me) Geralt is dying in 1 or 2 hits to Endregas =/.

Also, getting stuck while in the bomb throwing animation is plain bullshit and makes the Nekker tunnel quest really annoying.

Varna

This guy most be playing on easy mode where damage is next to nil. I saw dude get hit in the back several times and take next to no damage, whereas half of my life would be missing after 1 backstab.

Game is a total pain in the harder difficulty modes. There is no sword fighting... it's just rolling around and getting in quick attacks. Nothing like what you see in the cutscenes or even when two NPCs are engaged in combat.

I don't know about this mod yet. I think I'll wait until all the bugs are fixed. Moving around still feels very bad. Very floaty and there is absolutely no sense of getting hit/striking an enemy. These things are probably not within the scope of this mod though.

Game is a total pain in the harder difficulty modes. There is no sword fighting... it's just rolling around and getting in quick attacks. Nothing like what you see in the cutscenes or even when two NPCs are engaged in combat.

I don't know about this mod yet. I think I'll wait until all the bugs are fixed. Moving around still feels very bad. Very floaty and there is absolutely no sense of getting hit/striking an enemy. These things are probably not within the scope of this mod though.

Yeah my first run through was on hard mode (cause I'm a true gamer) and boy did I have some problems. I'm getting used to this mod though, but I've only gone through the prologue. We'll see how things turn out in Ch.1

sueil

Hard mode I found really easy except for a few sections. I am an alchemist so some times when I didn't have time to take potions can be a pain. A scenario where you don't have a sword and have to arm yourself then kill 5 guys? On hard mode getting hit without a sword is pretty much game over because they were doing 130 damage to me no matter what. I had 90 vitality total. Yet by working creatively some hard situations suddenly become easy. Using bombs to take out large packs of nekkers and they were comically easy. Using Aard on the act 1 boss let me kill him in about 4 seconds. Aard on large groups of humans can make them trivial. I think the game is easier with the mod than vanilla.

DorianD

I have a SSD and dont have this issue I use a 2nd drive for my games and the mod let me choose where to install it

I selected the specific path to install on my E Drive (1TB) as well, but each time it extracts the mod files to my documents folder on my C Drive (by the way I have the GOG version instead of Steam) C:\users\dorian\documents\witcher2\usercontent

It takes a whopping 5GB's, but perhaps another time I will give this more of a chance.

sueil

Can't wait for some of the bugs to be fixed. I have a bug where it won't let me make any thunderbolt potions despite having tons of ingredients for it. It is a really damn good potion too so it bugs me.

Venin

The mod is amazing. I am pretty deep into act 1 and the new combat is much better than the original. Is pretty easy to get used to.

I feel the same way. At first, I was a little reluctant because I was getting my butt kicked, but after getting used to the new mechanics and animations, I actually find this new combat system really amazing. For those of you talking about how hard it is on Hard/Dark, it's actually not too bad once you really get the feel for things. I'm breezing through it now. The quick Quen block and the strafing work wonders. And a smaller detail that I noticed is when you have your sword out and stand still, Geralt will raise the sword over his head and scan the area attentively. It looks badass. lol

I would really like to grab Riposte at some point, but I'm wondering if it's broken outside of the tutorial as well? Has anyone tried it?

You start with some equipment from part 1 and some decisions you made are referenced in 2.

Well, not just chapter 2. In the prologue, while at Foltest's side, he'll mention some details surrounding Adda, depending on how you approached her situation in the first game.

I selected the specific path to install on my E Drive (1TB) as well, but each time it extracts the mod files to my documents folder on my C Drive (by the way I have the GOG version instead of Steam) C:\users\dorian\documents\witcher2\usercontent

It takes a whopping 5GB's, but perhaps another time I will give this more of a chance.

yea it does the same for me. Don't have enough space on my c drive to install this :(

Top Bottom