• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
Yeah, I know much of it was bait to make me look silly, but oh well. I think Sony fanboys aside, there are an equal number of folks here who are genuinely concerned about this game and I'm more than happy to address them. Lame photoshops of my face are just part of the job description, it seems -- but I'll live. :p
The progression here is hilarious. We've been begging and heckling you to come in and comment, and you've gone on to provide quite a bit of detail behind the screens. You've confirmed they are real, commented on their state (and what's missing), talked about the process, mentioned a new release date and responded to trolls.

The GAF response? "Burn him!!!"

Oh well. BTW - were new screens ever posted, or just confirmation that these were legit?

Gek54

New EGM is out. Features the screens from both 'leaks' so I guess these are not the newer screens promised by Che? The track is the Ferrari owned Mugello in Itally.

Doesn't looks too hot to me so far, but hopefully these screenshots don't properly represent the game in motion. Well, at least it is 60fps......for now and that is certainly a RARITY these days.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Apex said:

Aren't those models totally different than what you actually race with? As in much higher renders for photomode? Because they sure don't look the same as they do in the first pic... in-game, everything looks flat and that doesn't look good to me at all...

About the thread, we know that the pics were made with lots of stuff turned off - good news for the people who actually care, and didn't come in to post nonsense...

X06 is coming, and with playable Forza 2 at the show and HD pics and vids of the latest build, everything will be fine soon...

Gek54

Skilotonn said:
Aren't those models totally different than what you actually race with? As in much higher renders for photomode? Because they sure don't look the same as they do in the first pic... in-game, everything looks flat and that doesn't look good to me at all...

Only thing that photomode does is add more AA and other optional filters, the models are the same as what you drive with in the game.

Gek54

Che posted the "new" pics

You have seen them before.

It's the moment we at Turn 10 have been waiting for ever since the project began, but here at last, is your first look at Forza Motorsport 2, the Xbox 360's premier racing simulator. Although these screens represent a title that's still a work in progress, we're happy with the game engine foundations these snapshots reveal -- gorgeous, detailed car models, an all-new in-game hood view, and our continued pursuit for visual realism as the game moves into its final polishing stage of development. In the months to come, expect the floodgates to open as we show off more tracks, more cars, and announce new features to the Forza Motorsport franchise that will guarantee FM2 becomes more than simply a game but a competitive lifestyle you'll live out on your Xbox 360.

Che said:
but a competitive lifestyle you'll live out on your Xbox 360.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I seriously can't wait to hear about the new Live advances they've got up their sleeve. Screenshots can kiss my pant leg.

IJoel

BenjaminBirdie said:
That's what I'm talkin' about! I seriously can't wait to hear about the new Live advances they've got up their sleeve. Screenshots can kiss my pant leg.

It's official! Consistent racing nation war on Xbox Live!

IJoel said:
It's official! Consistent racing nation war on Xbox Live!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!

IJoel

Seriously speaking, I hope FM2 implements the sort of thing RSC2 had going with the XSN leagues. The GAF races were awesome, even though most were time trials. But it was just awesome having that level of competition where you'd be driven to try and beat some other gaffer's time and would repeat doing so over and over again until getting there. It really pushed people to get significantly better in many tracks. I know it definitely did it to me.

FightyF

Banned
I think I should probably make a new thread about this, but this game is a perfect example of diminishing returns.

forza23.jpg

To graphic whores like myself, I can see many improvements. First off, the specular highlights are amazing. Not only in this shot, but in all of the others.

Compare those highlights to Forza 1's or GT4's and you'll see that neither game compares in this regard.

Secondly, I notice the amazing resolution of the game, far greater the GT4's SEGA Genesis-like resolution, and better than Forza's. Textures are of course, just as sharp.

Next up is the apparent smoothness of the motion blur, it's a far smoother implementation as compared to other next gen games.

Fourthly, look at the geometry, even the doors are modelled seperately! If you look close enough, you can see some specular highlighting on the edge of the car frame before the door kicks in! Some poster here said they saw little difference in GT4 compared to this, and that is a perfect example of diminishing returns. I noticed that the doors were modelled seperately, as is the hood, and that the tail-lights are modelled rather than textured, but this person obviously didn't.

Another very important aspect of this game is the lighting on a micro scale. The lighting inside the door handles, between spokes of the rim, and on the opposite side of the car (where the shadow of car on the ground is also "reflected" on the car...summed up: The other side is a good deal darker).

And with it running at 60 fps, it's just going to be completely awesome to play.

And now onto some critique. A critique that's a bit more realistic, Che :)

Forza2Beta3.jpg

The lighting is excellent, color palette is spot on, but there are a few things preventing this from looking it's best.

The texture quality of the decals on the car is a bit low, in comparison to the resolution of the screen. So it's noticably blurry.

Secondly the texture filtering doesn't look that great, adding to the blurry look of the textures on the car. It's noticable in other shots when it comes to the grass textures.

The reflection in that shot looks awesome btw.

If those were fixed on that shot, it would look pretty damn real. Unfortunately they are both technological barriers rather than an art direction problem. But y'know, if they were 8-bit/4-bit textures they'd take a lot less memory and you can have super high res textures, isn't that correct? Those decals are only a few colours max...

FightyF

Banned
m0dus said:
Dude, I'm pretty disappointed with you, to say the least.

You KNOW that kind of shit's not cool. Frankly, I'm actually floored that you'd go so far as to pull it in the first place. But hey, in the end, the game will speak for itself, and I'm sure you'll come to realize how much of an ass you look like right now.

Honestly, pushing him to come in and respond to some rather blatant trolling is one thing, but ****, is this OA all of a sudden?

What's even worse, though, is that you're trolling THEIR forum now.

He's just a poser. Heck, I remember years ago I had to tell him what drafting was all about. ;)

J-Rzez

m0dus said:
Oh man, you sound WAY dissapointed!

So Seriously people, if you never intended buying this game or the console it's on, save us all your feigned concern. It's misplaced and pointless.

Yes... Yes I AM DISAPPOINTED... I've displayed optimism before in this title, as it was one of my fav xbox titles, and I loved it just as much as GT... they did things right in their own ways...

I know the physics were good in Forza, and they outshined GT in certain aspects...

I am a car nut... through and through... I own an Evo, and drove lot's of other Hi-Po cars (nothing italian :( ) and I judge these games based on the feel of what I got out of the game compared to the real thing...

I'm stating i DON'T want to see Forza HD basically if you can't take that from my post... I expected better visuals, that is all... based on what I've seen, this isn't far off from GT:HD, and lot's will state that too... a lot has to do with the "artistic approach" to the cars... I don't like it... it looks fake and cartoony... plain and simple... that is MY opinion, and if it's my opinion alone, I still won't change it cause that's how it looks...

I WAS planning on BUYING this for the console I OWN... BTW... just to let you in on that... I AM concerned thank you...

I'm critical on car games that is all... When something is touted near realistic, and my Evo in my driveway acts a different way than it does in the game, i get nerved... don't tease me...

and what's up with the generic POWER and Handling increases with the mods in these games... it needs to stop... do some homework please... as I can show any of you devs an Evo putting out 933 uncorrected AWHP... why is it limited to less? Your mods are sometime MORE than what those real cars have done, yet produce substaintially less power... You want to tout realistic, make it more realistic...

This goes to PD as well...

Gek54

Fight for Freeform said:
He's just a poser. Heck, I remember years ago I had to tell him what drafting was all about. ;)

Bullshit you did, it was the other way around. I have been drafting since I was competively karting at the age of 6, probably before you ever ever born.

puebla

well, i guess i'll have to wait until all the graphic fx are put in to really judge the game. i remember when the 1st pics of GRAW were put up and everybody was dissappointed, but as time went on it got better & better looking with new screens.

Zaptruder

Banned
arne said:
Is that what it is? thanks for clearing that up.

i need an f1 game, any game, it's been too long now for shame

I've been harassing Che about it, but maybe you can help me...

how's that support for the Logitech G25 from Microsoft looking? Will I be able to use my hefty investment with my X360 to the full, or do I just forgo all X360 driving games?

FightyF

Banned
Gek54 said:
Bullshit you did, it was the other way around. I have been drafting since I was competively karting at the age of 6, probably before you ever ever born.

That explains your bad eyes. :)

Anyways, here's a link about drafting in case you forgot Gek54.

I bet you a million bucks you didn't know what I was talking about.

Xbox Live camera pic of Gek after I kick his ass online.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gek54 said:

Whatever, I told you what camber and oversteer were like two weeks ago.

IJoel said:
Yes they did.

Ugh. I understand the need for buzzwords to sell the game, and I'm sure they're doing some nifty baked in tricks that'll look great... but its still rather misleading to throw these terms around without explaining them. Cest la vie.

Fight for Freeform said:
Secondly, I notice the amazing resolution of the game, far greater the GT4's SEGA Genesis-like resolution, and better than Forza's.

You're a funny guy.

Next up is the apparent smoothness of the motion blur, it's a far smoother implementation as compared to other next gen games.

How can you tell this without seeing the motion blur in... err, motion? :lol

That said, its pretty annoying seeing these complaints about how certain things look in screenshots that are inherently designed to be in flux (like motion blur). Or the odd "crappy texture" that you wont even notice during gameplay and wasn't a focus for a reason. I agree studios are partly to blame since they're controlling the PR shots, but people should realize by now that frame-buffer captures don't really give a very good impression these days (let alone works in progess). Graphics are maturing and the shiny pictures dont tell half the story anymore.

Some poster here said they saw little difference in GT4 compared to this, and that is a perfect example of diminishing returns.

I'd say its a testament to the quality of PD's artists more than anything (not trying to stir shit, just saying). Diminishing returns is overrated as much as the artistry is underrated.

Last Hope

All I have to say is that the blur has to go. There are so few quality racing games on the Xbox and I'd hate to see both of them ruined by their presentation.

I am glad that Che seems to understand that some people like me and some others are not complaining just to complain but rather that we are just very passionate about the game since quality racers come so so rarely. Plus, I'd love for this game to live up to GT5 because if not, I will have to buy a PS3. Forza was a great first attempt but the frame rate killed the game. If it was 60fps, it would have been close enough to the GT experience that I would not have even bought a PS2 for GT4.

In this case, it is the blur that is really holding back the game (well that is if the frame rate lives up to what they say). Please consider a slider/tuner bar for the motion blur in the options. I know the game probably can't really add anything as you are probably crunched for time as it is however from a programming approach, this should be very easy to implement and will not take more than an hour. I understand background blur is there for performance reasons but motion blur is an after effect so performance will not be impacted negatively if a user decides to remove it.

If this game plays as well as Forza with these graphics at a solid 60fps without the blur, the Xbox might be able to finally claim a racing franchise that can stand up to GT.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Then you guys will be happy to know that when you're actually racing in-game, the blur is nothing like these screenshots.

GhaleonEB

chespace said:
Then you guys will be happy to know that when you're actually racing in-game, the blur is nothing like these screenshots.
I gotta ask then - why is it like that in the screenshots? :)

skybaby

chespace said:
I really dont understand the blur hate. Even when youre watching an onboard tv camera the damn blur is there! Don't come here and say it isn't "reallistic", cause it IS.

puebla said:
i remember when the 1st pics of GRAW were put up and everybody was dissappointed, but as time went on it got better & better looking with new screens.

Yah and notice how peoples opinions changed as those screens were released?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
People who are calling out people about how its wrong to judge these screenshots are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full of shit.

puebla

sp0rsk said:
People who are calling out people about how its wrong to judge these screenshots are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo full of shit.
are you referring to me?? because i don't feel it's wrong to judge these screens. i said i'll judge them when all the fx are put in & when i see it in motion.

sprsk

puebla said:
are you referring to me?? because i don't feel it's wrong to judge these screens. i said i'll judge them when all the fx are put in & when i see it in motion.

I'm referring to alot of people in this thread.

sp0rsk said:
these screens are not good. full game MAY look better but yeah... if we aren't meant to judge ANY game on it's screens why release them? that's what they're for isn't it?

if the game turns out to look decent people won't go 'but the early screens were crap so i won't buy it'... so there's no need for defending them.

it wouldn't be the first time a decent looking game had terrible screens put out.

Ajax

Banned
sp0rsk said:

Especially since 80% of these people have been judging PS3 games even before the final dev kits were out -let alone release of the games. Hypocrisy at its best.

puebla said:

My point is that even though people might have been down on GRAW at first as UBI released shots the opinion on it changed. That's how it goes with every game. You can't expect people not judge screens just because some effects aren't in. That's never going to happen with any game. Once you release shots or a movie ect that's all people can jduge it on.

shpankey

not an idiot
SolidSnakex said:
Yah and notice how peoples opinions changed as those screens were released?
i've been saying that for I dunno how many pages now, but they just won't listen.

p.s. i predict at least 10 more posts bitching about judging early screenshots.

sprsk

shpankey said:
i've been saying that for I dunno how many pages now, but they just won't listen.

No downgrade total please dont say bad things about this game for my beloved xbox360 guys it's just not cool :(

YOULL EAT CROW SOMEDAY YOU SONY FANBOY HAWHAHAHRHARHARHAHRAR BET GT5 LOOKS LIKE GTDOWNGRADE!

puebla

SolidSnakex said:
My point is that even though people might have been down on GRAW at first as UBI released shots the opinion on it changed. That's how it goes with every game. You can't expect people not judge screens just because some effects aren't in. That's never going to happen with any game. Once you release shots or a movie ect that's all people can jduge it on.
i agree with you. i even expressed my dissappointment with the 1st batch of screens. but since then che has stated that there are graphics fx missing. never have i attacked anybody on here for judging the screens, i expect that. i said that i would wait before making a judgment, comprende my man.

and Ajax, i hope that post wasn't directed towards me. i judge most games only after i see them in motion for ANY console.

Top Bottom