• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Youse Guys" a bad phrase?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
"You guys" is inclusive of men and women. There's no reason not to use it.

Oppo

I gotta call BS, through my years of being park of teenage punk, club scene, slight goth, even skater -- I rarely (and by rare I mean the situations I can think of are 2000 era Road Trip movies about Michelle Trachtenberg or maybe someone calling Avril Lavigne dude in a music video) heard people call women dudes or a single woman dude.

i hear it knowingly applied. and i approve of this approach. i'd rather lean on de-gendering man, dude, bro etc. it's both more achievable and i have to admit, funnier.

SeanTSC

I've never heard anyone call a woman "dude" or even go "Hey dude" to them. Who are these people that call women dudes?

Hear it all the time here. People pretty casually refer to each other as "dude". Same with calling a group of women "you guys".

Shit, I know I've even said "dude" to my mom on occasion.

Madness

I tend to think of people who say y'all as southerners. Hey y'all, how y'all folks doin? Never seen anyone upset at the colloquialism 'you guys' as a gender issue.

Misha

Banned
"You guys" is trans-exclusionary. You should say something else.

As someone whos trans, no. If its okay for cis-women then its okay for all women.

(and it is for most women I know at least)
I've never heard anyone call a woman "dude" or even go "Hey dude" to them. Who are these people that call women dudes?
As an exclamation its cool. You dont call a woman a dude but you call them dude, you know? Like "Dude! Did you just see that?"

Both are fairly casual though, especially dude

WaterAstro

Yeah, I use "You guys" when it is only guys and "You girls" when it's only girls. I use "Everyone" when it is mixed or when I'm not sure.

Turin

Banned
^ What Misha said.

I gotta call BS, through my years of being park of teenage punk, club scene, slight goth, even skater -- I rarely (and by rare I mean the situations I can think of are 2000 era Road Trip movies about Michelle Trachtenberg or maybe someone calling Avril Lavigne dude in a music video) heard people call women dudes or a single woman dude.

Fascinating.

Call BS all you like, it's not that out of the ordinary.

shira

tenor.gif

SeanTSC

AAs an exclamation its cool. You dont call a woman a dude but you call them dude you, know? Like "Dude! Did you just see that?"

Both are fairly casual though, especially dude

I bet "you know" and "like" are literally the three mostly commonly said words on the West Coast. Like, I would bet actual money on that.

You know, like, dude, YOU GUYS!. Yes, we actually fucking talk like that.

Fascinating.

Call BS all you like, it's not that out of the ordinary.

Well, I gotta, it's a really big claim. I'm trying really hard to think of / find material in media where women are called dudes. Like an abundance of this to make it common or ordinary. Maybe in Dudeism or surfer culture? But even then I can't place media doing this, so it's hard for me to believe it's that much different.

dlauv

I was drunk and talking to two trans women about the kink night we were attending -- they were interested in stageplay and I knew the host -- and I kept addressing them by the colloquial "you guys," and internally cringed every time I said it but I couldn't stop.

Misha

Banned
I bet "you know" and "like" are literally the three mostly commonly said words on the West Coast. Like, I would bet actual money on that.

You know, like, dude, YOU GUYS!. Yes, we actually fucking talk like that.

You might be leaking your culture cause I'm from Pittsburgh and we talk like that here too haha

Well maybe not quite like that. Usually theres a bit more content in the middle haha

SeanTSC

Well, I gotta, it's a really big claim. I'm trying really hard to think of / find material in media where women are called dudes. Like an abundance of this to make it common or ordinary. Maybe in Dudeism or surfer culture? But even then I can't place media doing this, so it's hard for me to believe it's that much different.

It's mostly casual talk. You won't see it much in media, because we sound really dumb when we do it and movies shamed "valley speak" pretty hard for a while. It slips out a lot of if you watch people who stream from the West Coast though. Like, EZA has even made note of it on several occasions that they have to make a concentrated effort to not slip into valley speak. Some of the guys even have podcast goals to not say "you know".

Dude, like, you know, you guys. People will string combinations together of that over and over here in casual conversation. Especially Like and You know.

It's mostly casual talk. You won't see it much in media, because we sound really dumb when we do it and movies shamed "valley speak" pretty hard for a while. It slips out a lot of if you watch people who stream from the West Coast though. Like, EZA has even made note of it on several occasions that they have to make a concentrated effort to not slip into valley speak. Some of the guys even have podcast goals to not say "you know".

Dude, like, you know, you guys. People will string combinations together of that over and over here in casual conversation. Especially Like and You know.

I get the whole "like" and "you know" bit but your claim was people call women dudes and it's a casual, ordinary thing. I get folks say "you guys" but a singular dude or dudes for a group seems quite rare, well really rare.

SeanTSC

I get the whole "like" and "you know" bit but your claim was people call women dudes and it's a casual, ordinary thing. I get folks say "you guys" but a singular dude or dudes for a group seems quite rare, well really rare.

It's not rare here at all in casual conversation. Even women addressing other women in a group will go "guys!".

Turin

Banned

It's actually odd to me that you find it so strange. I, and apparently others, have heard it often enough that it doesn't even stick out.

Demoskinos

I rarely ever hear any woman get offended by "you guys" and honestly its incredibly unprofessional for someone to lecture a client or customer like that.

FranF

Banned
Honestly? I would never make a thing out of it, but since you asked... I think "You guys" actually kind of sucks, especially for a group of women. Just sounds childish and "off" somehow. Never had a problem with "mankind", "chairman", masculine default in other languages etc either, like I don't mind formally being part of a group of "men" but a woman just isn't a "guy"

Maybe I'm just weird but what's wrong with "you all" anyway?

it assumes men to be the default.

Colloquially it doesn't.

Reminder that your average man would throw a shit fit if someone called him a woman, "colloquially" or not

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

In this thread we've learned you didn't know you guys was gender neutral and now we're learning you've never heard a woman being called dude before. Fascinating.

Esiquio

What if i told you one of the founders of gafs favorite burger joint 5 Guys, is a gal.

You should make a Morpheus meme for this.

OP, this would be my reaction:

rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_development.gif

I was at a animal shelter recently along with a young lady. The guy referred to us as "you guys" when talking about getting a dog for us. It's slang, man, slang. When addressing a large, mixed audience, of course you would say something like "guys and gals" or "ladies and gentlemen", of course. But in everyday speech, it's just shorthand. Just like the word "man" and "mankind" imply "woman", so does "you guys".

marzlapin

It's not, it's just that it only works in certain contexts. Like you'd never refer to a woman as "that dude over there" or "this dude was talking to me the other day" but you can go up to a female friend and say "dude did you see that?" or "omg dude no way" in response to something she says. This type of usage is common.

Similarly you would not refer to a woman as a guy but you can go up to a group of all women and say something like "hey guys are you ready to go right now?" or whatever.

Cartman86

Banned
It's certainly something i've thought of and don't say in mixed gender company if I can help it, but i've never heard or read any complaints about this as a word like I have others.

In this thread we've learned you didn't know you guys was gender neutral and now we're learning you've never heard a woman being called dude before. Fascinating.
When did I say I didn't know it wasn't gender neutral? Or the idea that I didn't know people find it gender neutral?

I'll be waiting.

Einchy

When did I say I didn't know it wasn't gender neutral?

I'll be waiting.

Here you said it isn't.

it's not gender neutral. it never was. the word "guy" refers to males. i'm sure there are plenty of people who dislike the phrase hence why you see "Hey all", "Hey everyone" "Hey folks" etc. because they know it's exclusionary and keeps the status quo. Just men all around would make a stink if they were asked to use something else.

I mean, you had to be told it WAS gender neutral and now you're having to be told dude can also be gender neutral. It's a real head scratcher how these are things that need to be explained.

Here you it isn't.

I mean, you had to be told it WAS gender neutral and now you're having to be told dude can also be gender neutral. It's a real head scratcher how these are things that need to be explained.
See you missed the point. I know people find it gender neutral but in reality it isn't.

That's, like, the point.

sangreal

They need to grow up. As for the title change, I think it’s only acceptable for a certain portion of the population here in jersey

So English is wrong and you're right? Man, what a point.

Naw, just means I've thought past the "what did the dictionary say?"

Like, the phrase is "you guys". Guy singular refers to male and everyone seems to agree but "guys" refers to both female and male and can be used if it's a group of women and one guy. It suggests a standard or a default and it's male. Plenty of words do this: freshman, grandfathered (why not grandmothered?), etc.

Your idea that "English" is wrong is really awful. English is an evolving language that takes bits and pieces from multiple languages. We learn more about by thinking and trying to understand the meaning of each word and applying them. That's how a lot of slang comes about cause it's a word that matches the action, thought, or idea being presented.

To say it's gender-neutral only means that, well, women don't seem to mind but you haven't gone past that. Just because women say something doesn't automatically mean it's gender-neutral in all regards.

Some people do get bothered by it, which I understand. But I say it a lot, even when talking to groups of only women.

Dude is a gender-neutral term to me. People have said it to me, and I've said to other women.

SeanTSC

Like, the phrase is "you guys". Guy singular refers to male and everyone seems to agree but "guys" refers to both female and male and can be used if it's a group of women and one guy. It suggests a standard or a default and it's male. Plenty of words do this: freshman, grandfathered (why not grandmothered?), etc.

Your idea that "English" is wrong is really awful. English is an evolving language that takes bits and pieces from multiple languages. We learn more about by thinking and trying to understand the meaning of each word and applying them. That's how a lot of slang comes about cause it's a word that matches the action, thought, or idea being presented.

To say it's gender-neutral only means that, well, women don't seem to mind but you haven't gone past that. Just because women say something doesn't automatically mean it's gender-neutral in all regards.

Language varies a lot, especially from region to region. For as long as I've been living on the west coast, which is the entire 34 years of my life, Guys and Dude have *always* been used in a gender-neutral manner by both men and women here. It has never not been that way for as long as I've been able to understand and speak English.

Einchy

And "you guys" evolved to be commonly known to be gender neutral and will continue to be as long as it is commonly seen as such. This isn't a case of you seeing past the dictionary, this is a case with you disagreeing with where English evolved and wanting it to evolve into something else.

As long as it is commonly seen as gender neutral, it will continue to be gender neutral, because that's how language works.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The person was an asshole, for sure, but this thread IS making me consider starting to use "you all." I can't say "y'all" but like someone else mentioned, "you all" is delightfully quaint.
"You all" has a very very different implication from "ya'll" honestly.

If you hate "ya'll" you can always just say "you" which is the most correct thing to say anyway. I just find it easy to confuse with passive aggression.

And "you guys" evolved to be commonly known to be gender neutral and will continue to be as long as it is commonly seen as such. This isn't a case of you seeing past the dictionary, this is a case with you disagreeing with where English evolved and wanting it to evolve into something else.

As long as it is commonly seen as gender neutral, it will continue to be gender neutral, because that's how language works.

Well, it evolved into the male category. FYI, language seems to evolving to gender-neutral terms like "folks", "everyone", "everybody", "y'all", etc. I think it's because "you guys" isn't as gender-neutral as a lot believe even though it's commonly used.

You're not even trying to understand the phrase "you guys" but just keep latching onto the fact that everyone says it therefore the entire thing is gender-neutral. Males, female, other can all say "you guys" and be fine but it doesn't make the core of the phrase gender-neutral because it literally references guys AKA the plural version of males because language evolved to define "guy" as "male".

Top Bottom