• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles |OT| Nickelodeon made a funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the first episode, but April looked really wired. My only grip on the show is what´s with all Japanese stuff in a cartoon? I mean the angry mark, !, etc... WTF.

A lot of American cartoons have had that kind of stuff in it over the past couple of years, like Transformers Animated and Teen Titans.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, that was okay I guess, sadly we live in a world where a vastly superior TMNT series has been created.

MisterHero

I liked the first episode, but April looked really wired. My only grip on the show is what´s with all Japanese stuff in a cartoon? I mean the angry mark, !, etc... WTF.
Being that they're comic book ninja(s), they have more to do with Japanese/comic book embellishments than most cartoons.

Avixph

Pleasantly surprised. I few nitpicks here and there. Not liking the space between the teeth thing, nor do I like how they changed April into a high schooler. So... is there not going to be one Krang? Feels weird having many. And, does Bebop and Rocksteady show up?

I laughed a few times, pretty funny. I think I'll keep watching.
No does characters suck.

Premiere was alright. The turtle personalities are mostly well done.

Still not a fan of Splinter being Hamato Yoshi. Splinter should be Splinter.

I don't like the Ultrom being called the Kraang. Kraang should be his own character.

April does look weird and the Donny romance subplot I can see will get tiring, mostly due to fan girls ruining it on the internet.

Animation is really nice, I got to say.

Shaneus

They got the wrong 80s actor for Raphael! They should've just sprung a few dollars less and gotten Corey Feldman back. Argh.

RazOmari

Much better than I was expecting. The animation is nice, had a few laughs, and I like how they actually look like teenagers instead of beefed up turtle-men.

Didn't mind the anime stuff either. I think it was done better here when compared to Teen Titans. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Gartooth

Good but not exceptional so far, I have to say though that it is nice to see Raph and Leo actually using their weapons compared to 2003 Turtles which finished off every enemy with a kick or throw.

Although I preferred it when there was a reason for the mutations (last thing you touched in 80's series, or gain intelligence/evolve in 2003 series) because in this series it seems like it is just random. Also I really don't like April's presence in the show between the forced relationship between her and Donnie, coupled with the trite
"we have to save my scientist dad!" thread
that will be an ongoing plot.

Edit: Also yeah the humor has been great so far, a lot of chuckles and smirks from me. (though I keep hearing Beast Boy coming out of Mikey)

So I didn't get to catch this, but TMNT was essentially my childhood. First impressions:

1) Art style is crap, but still better than that generic CGI they used in the most recent movie

2) The new toys are tight (well, the four turtles are, anyway).

3) The new artstyle looks amazing in print. Have you guys seen any of the children's books Nick has put out? It's this awesome blend of the original style, manga, and the 80s cartoon. Definitely my favorite print style.

4) April, seriously? Fucking seriously?

5) Kraang, really? That makes TMNT like 0/5 for perfecting Krang. He should just be a bad Utrom, which is really fucking obvious, and yet no incarnation of the turtles, as far as I'm aware, has done this.

Gartooth

5) Kraang, really? That makes TMNT like 0/5 for perfecting Krang. He should just be a bad Utrom, which is really fucking obvious, and yet no incarnation of the turtles, as far as I'm aware, has done this.

Yeah same here, I mean they have the Ultrom play a big part in the 2003 series, but Krang himself never appears!?
kind of odd that Shredder was the one made into a bad Ultrom

Kraang was in the 2k3 series. He was an ultrom who wouldnt stop complaining. I think he was like in one scene. True to the original series tbqh.

Although I preferred it when there was a reason for the mutations (last thing you touched in 80's series, or gain intelligence/evolve in 2003 series) because in this series it seems like it is just random.

I think they're going with that. Yoshi stepped on a rat, Snake was in the forest touching plants.

The IDW series is.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/09/24/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-14-preview/

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I still don't like the dozens of minor things that they threw into this like Don's gap teeth, the anime reaction shit, Raph's voice in Don which is also tripping me out like others in here, April being a kid when she was a grown woman in the original. But I love the artstyle and that the CG doesn't look cheap, fight scenes good real good too and I like when their eyes go white while fighting.

It being so kiddy is something unexpected I guess in these modern times. I'll try and watch the first episode when I can though.

Was looking at the cast listing, Jason Biggs is fucking Leo? Haha.

And I like how April's dad is named after Jack Kirby.

Oh, of course Andrea Romano is the voice director.

Tizoc

I thought the 1st ep. was pretty good, and Raph was my fav. character os far.
Still not a fan of Splinter being Hamato Yoshi. Splinter should be Splinter.
I don't get what you mean by that, but I can already tell he's hiding more about their origins than he's been telling them. He did have some funny lines though which kinda felt...out of character...

Animation is really nice, I got to say.

Agreed, the CGI was really good.

deduce

That looked really good in motion. I wasn't digging the art style before but I'm liking it now. The comic hand drawn backdrops mixed with the CGI characters and environments look great. The anime style emotions were a bit distracting and I still can't get over Don having Raph's voice but I'm really enjoy this so far.

Enk

makes good threads.
He did have some funny lines though which kinda felt...out of character...

Splinter made a funny was out of character?

I really enjoyed the first ep. It does seem more like a modernization of the 80s cartoon series than the 2k one in terms of personality. I like the meshing of the different styles from main cast to how the city looks. Lots of exaggerated expressions and moves helps to give it more life and also helps that the show is actually funny at times (ex. Mikey's first pizza bite). My only real gripe is the humans look off, and I'm with everyone else that I don't care for the changes in April. I think I'll continue watching this.

TreIII

I enjoyed it for the most part. Dunno how I feel about "Mutagen" being the center of things again, because if that's the case, we might start falling into the 80s series' trappings of having "Mutants of the Week" so that they can sell more toys.

If there's one thing I do agree with Laird on (before he later undermined this message himself), was that I liked the idea of the Turtles being "special" because they were the only mutants.

Ah well. As long as I get to see the Triceratons again. That's still my favorite arc in the original comic series, and the 2K3 toon did that so well, itself. I wouldn't mind this cartoon giving it another shot.

Sanjuro

Many of the complaints I've read have been pretty petty. People need to understand the target demographic of this show and the ability to generate at least some interest from the outside target.

If you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the comic books, the closest you are going to get is the 2k series. This seems to be a combination of that and nostalgia from the 80s cartoon. One example is "The Kraang". Brilliant idea. If I had to give a number, maybe 1.5% of people know what a Utrom is.

TreIII

Many of the complaints I've read have been pretty petty. People need to understand the target demographic of this show and the ability to generate at least some interest from the outside target.

If you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the comic books, the closest you are going to get is the 2k series. This seems to be a combination of that and nostalgia from the 80s cartoon. One example is "The Kraang". Brilliant idea. If I had to give a number, maybe 1.5% of people know what a Utrom is.

I'd agree with this.

I suppose at this point, I'm wondering what direction they eventually want to go in with this toon. I mean, just because they're dredging up that "80s series" spirit doesn't mean that they can't do something interesting with it. I loved the Archie comic series for this very reason.

Also, they really need to add in Casey, perhaps in a future season. It just doesn't seem like a complete "family" without him there. And Raphael needs his "road dog", dammit!

Sanjuro

I'd agree with this.

I suppose at this point, I'm wondering what direction they eventually want to go in with this toon. I mean, just because they're dredging up that "80s series" spirit doesn't mean that they can't do something interesting with it. I loved the Archie comic series for this very reason.

Also, they really need to add in Casey, perhaps in a future season. It just doesn't seem like a complete "family" without him there. And Raphael needs his "road dog", dammit!

I imagine at some point he will be around. I think it's probably best to introduce characters like that as late as they possibly can. Problem with many of these shows is they use the whole arsenal right off the bat, leaving them little room to expand a season or two in.

zeeaykay

If I remember correctly, I think the plan is to bring him in during the second season.

Snaku

Banned
Those of you who are purchasing the figures, where are you picking them up at?

Any cheaper than $10 at Amazon?

Cheapest I've seen them is at Walmart for just over $7. Picked up a Mikey as he was always my favorite character. I also bought the SDCC '12 Night Shadow Leo. It's more of a statue than an action figure, but I just love that paint job.

frrKy.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Weird that the opening had a different story on how the turtles were mutated than what Splinter told in the story.

TreIII

If I remember correctly, I think the plan is to bring him in during the second season.

Good.

I imagine at some point he will be around. I think it's probably best to introduce characters like that as late as they possibly can. Problem with many of these shows is they use the whole arsenal right off the bat, leaving them little room to expand a season or two in.

That would be a problem for a new property or something that is much more "strict" in its canon usage, certainly. But with TMNT having nearly 30 years' worth of story fodder/characters to use, across a variety of different toons, comics and etc.? "Expansion ideas" should be the LEAST of their concerns, in my opinion. Especially if Eastman is as involved with this toon as he is with the IDW comic.

Sanjuro

That would be a problem for a new property or something that is much more "strict" in its canon usage, certainly. But with TMNT having nearly 30 years' worth of story fodder/characters to use, across a variety of different toons, comics and etc.? "Expansion ideas" should be the LEAST of their concerns, in my opinion. Especially if Eastman is as involved with this toon as he is with the IDW comic.

The 2k show is a prime example on why "expansion ideas" don't work that well.

lunchtoast

Wasn't too bad and I was expecting to hate it. Despite the look, the animation is fluid and the faces are lively. I wish it was a bit more mature but I think that TMNT is dead outside the comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom