• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who the fuck actually buys cars as Christmas gifts?

What is with these fucking car commercials?

As a foreword I come from a family with money and at no point was there even a consideration of purchasing a fucking car as a gift for a family member. Likewise for friends of
mine whose parents have money.

But these commercials must exist because they’re effective? Is that right? Don’t get it. If you’re wealthy enough to buy a car as a Christmas gift are you really buying a C class Mercedes? Wtf?

Also FYI I’m in Arlington, VA, just outside of DC, so I understand the target audience but as I said, having grown up here since high school, not even the wealthiest friends/families I know buy family members god damn cars for Christmas. Who does that?????

Ubername

Banned
JAPs often receive such gifts and I know so because I reside in a part of the country with many JAPs

And they're aimed at middle class folk, people that probably shouldn't be buying that but want to nonetheless

Link1110

Follow-up question, when giving carts as Christmas gifts is is customary to play the oompa loompa song in the background like those Lexus commercials?

Big Blue

I have literally thought the same thing OP. I'm sure it happens but with how many holiday car commericals Americans see, you would think they are as common as stocking stuffers.

Syriel

JAPs often receive such gifts and I know so because I reside in a part of the country with many JAPs

And they're aimed at middle class folk, people that probably shouldn't be buying that but want to nonetheless

Fuck outta here with that racist shit.

joeposh

And do all car dealerships just have a storage closet filled with comically over-sized bows? What's the deal?

120v

i like how blase the commercials are, like it's throwing around some run of the mill gift idea. "should i get my wife a new ipad or... how about a $35k SUV. hmm"

that said i've known a few who aren't exactly millionaires gift vehicles for their children, adult children and spouses. not as a 'look what santa brought!' xmas gift but december is consumerpalooza and the vehicle industry isn't exempt

Ecotic

I guess it's for the heavy hitting management types who get performance bonuses in excess of $25,000 quite regularly, on top of a very high base salary. I have a few friends with fathers like that.

Relativ9

My Grandfather bought my grandmother a Mercedes SUV for Christmas some years ago. It's the one and only time he's ever bought something that expensive for her and she needed a car for work anyway.

For perspective. he owns his own property appraisal business in a small town in Norway and is moderately wealthy (earns about 3 times the national average). They have a house they built themselves over 30 years ago and their mortgage is long since paid off.

SDCowboy

It happens all the time - just usually not at a gift on Christmas morning with a bow on it. Usually around this time, there are good year end deals on vehicles so folks will buy them as a "Christmas gift" at some point during the holiday season for themselves or their spouse.

ChuyMasta

What, you plebs dont do that?

Geez,

I bought my mom a Honda fit cause she likes quiet cars.

My brother just got promoted to senior manager and relocated to the rockies so I got him a colorado chevy.

And I got a thing for Hybrids so I santa got me a Ford Fusion.

Come on guys.

n0razi

If you work at any large bank or investment firm, all the upper level managers all have new cars after Christmas

joeposh

If you work at any large bank or investment firm, all the upper level managers all have new cars after Christmas

That makes sense. End of year closeouts + hefty bonuses make it a natural time to buy a car, but I don't think Christmas has a whole lot to do with it.

Pish posh. I apologise if you can't afford something as trivial as a new BMW. In my family it would be considered a grievous insult to not purchase something ludicrously extravagant.

Why, last christmas my papa bought me Egypt. Do any of you want Egypt? Too bad because its mine. I suppose I could sublet a region or two to some lucky members as part of the christmas charity mama always insists we do to appear more reachable to the help.

But regardless of how much money one has. Its about a statement. How else are you supposed to show your enviable neighbours just how much more important you are than them? Why, I would say that is the most important thing about Christmas. You may take that to the bank.

BrettWeir

My wife and I are buying our son a car for Christmas, as he's turning 16. Granted no way near new, and under $12k, paying cash which we've been saving up for.

Hissing Sid

It's Jewish American Princess. Did you think it was the other thing?

It’s almost as though some peeps are hair-triggered and primed to explode.

On topic I know a few proppa welfy people and they have never bought anyone a car as a gift.

On the other hand I know a few aspiring middle class types who’ve maxed out their incomes living lifestyles they can’t really afford. These peeps have bought cars as Xmas presents in the past, usually for their kids.

They then let every poor fucker know that they’ve bought a car for their kids for Xmas.

The ads are probably targeted at those types of idiots.

Nipo

If you're out of DC the target should be pretty obvious. Dual income lawyers, lobbyist whose family income is 400k+.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Bought my wife a Santa Fe for Christmas about 9 years ago. I planned it for a while in advance obviously. It's really not hard to do.

I know multiple people that have purchased cars as gifts for Christmas or birthdays. You all do know that you don’t have to pay for the whole thing up front, right?

LeFlamaBlanca

Neo Member
If only having money made you less aggressive towards minor things.

“Oh no that homeless man gets food but here I am in my Mercedes and aren’t offered anything.”

I actually got a car from my parents for my 16th Christmas. Getting it for my birthday wouldn't make sense because in my state you get your permit when you're 16, license at 16.5.

It seems as good a time as any to buy a car, so why not run holiday themed commercials for it?

Top Bottom