• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've given up on Half-Life 3 coming out since years ago, but I hate where it left off

tc farks

Thanks for the replies. But no amount of money is ever enough...A billionaire could always use another billion right? I presume that the mega-popularity of this franchise is so far-reaching, that they'd rather wait until hat sales disappear before releasing a cash cow that fails to live up to expectations. Especially if the talent behind the creation of their single player success has been drained.

Surfinn

I am pretty much at that point myself. They have gone from being my favorite developer to not even being relevant anymore. Valve don't care about their HL fans at all.

Nice avatar.

I mean.. if 60 thousand fans asking Valve for more information on what is even happening with the series doesn't get any response, nothing will.

I just don't even understand how they gave such little of a shit that they just got to the point where they were like "fuck them, we're done communicating"

Thanks for the replies. But no amount of money is ever enough...A billionaire could always use another billion right? I presume that the mega-popularity of this franchise is so far-reaching, that they'd rather wait until hat sales disappear before releasing a cash cow that fails to live up to expectations. Especially if the talent behind the creation of their single player success has been drained.

The HL franchise still sold around 25 million copies. But of course, the time/money/manpower that goes into creating that kind of a game might seem less appealing than other avenues of revenue.

If Gabe had any sense he would buy what 3D Realms managed to finish of Duke Nukem Forever and just release it as is, as a love letter to the fans. At least then we would have some cloture.

Adam_802

Valve is just spitting in its fan's faces at this point imho. I know Gabe said they're silent bc they dont want to confuse/annoy people with updates on constant changes internally, but after 10 years its just fucking absurd now.

And why do we have to feel guilty about even bringing up Half-Life to Valve nowadays? Like people are afraid to even ask about it in a serious affirmative manner in person. Like we're made to feel like bringing up HL is inappropriate or something. And I hate how HL has become a sort of joke/meme too.

And then they do shit like Gabe having an AMA on 3/3 at 3pm....like fuck off. Or 'leaking' HL references in code, or leaving a HL3 icon in an image, etc......it goes on and on for a decade. Just stringing us along the whole time....*sigh....bunch of valve employees making little hl3 jokes who probably didnt even work on the HL games......

HL was AMAZING, and not just for the gameplay. The story was so epic in a small-scale way, which was so cool. Marc Laidlaw is a genius writer and his lore was SOOOOO deep if you read into it, but it was always presently cleverly and drip-fed in the games.

I digress, but point is I think Valve is being irresponsible and unfair to its longest franchise. The company has seemed to shift focus away from real game development for a long while now and have lost the real talent.....fucking shameful how far the once-greatest-dev in gaming to so many has fallen.

stuminus3

Never say never.

a78e6Hj.png

Surfinn

If Gabe had any sense he would buy what 3D Realms managed to finish of Duke Nukem Forever and just release it as is, as a love letter to the fans. At least then we would have some cloture.

The biggest problem with handing it off is that they know people would be pissed off. It'd be the opposite of a love letter, imo; more of a final "fuck you". Look at the reception DNF received. People were pissed that it was essentially rushed out and not a very good game.

They want to be the owners and controllers of HL but they're not willing to finish it.

Pretty fucked up situation. They have sense, they just don't care enough to make another HL game. Or to let fans know what's going on.

This is how you do it. I don't care how long it takes to MAKE the game, just at least let us know that our waiting won't be in vain.

It's more just unbelievable that one of gaming's royalty series would just peter out like this, without ever being acknowledged or addressed. Just ignored by its creators, as if they hadn't created arguably the two most influential FPS' ever made.

The ending 2 episode to is just the shitty icing on the cake.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
They only made Half-Life 2 because they wanted to push Steam. I love their games and really wish they would give us HL3.

Surfinn

This is a dumb question but why haven't they done a full remaster of the orange box for consoles?

Shit I don't even know what year it was when they even released a game. Four years back? DOTA 2?

Also it seems like their Source 2 plans fell through. I thought I read an article fairly recently that stated they weren't even done with major parts of it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah I don't think there's any evidence of that. The book "Raising the Bar" is all about how much time and effort they put into creating the best game (HL2) they could.. and all of the struggles that went along with it.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Raising_the_Bar
I'm not undermining Half-Life 2's quality. It's a damn good game, but it's clear what they were trying to do with it. I remember buying the 9600XT Radeon card to play the game which came with a code. Also I haven't read that so thanks for the link.

Is there a consensus/non-jokingly explanation as to why this game hasn't been made?

Valve has a poorly-thought-out management structure that makes it nearly impossible to accomplish anything but incremental tweaks on stuff that's already successful, and they make so much money from Steam that there's no actual pressure to change that.

Surfinn

I'm not undermining Half-Life 2's quality. It's a damn good game, but it's clear what they were trying to do with it. I remember buying the 9600XT Radeon card to play the game which came with a code. Also I haven't read that so thanks for the link.

No problem. Did they use HL2 to push Steam? Absolutely. Did they create HL2 to push Steam? All the evidence contradicts that argument. Valve clearly created HL2 because they wanted to make another fantastic Half-Life game.

Valve has a poorly-thought-out management structure that makes it nearly impossible to accomplish anything but incremental tweaks on stuff that's already successful, and they make so much money from Steam that there's no actual pressure to change that.

One would hope moral pressure would suffice. To at least SAY something.

Also, they've got more than enough manpower to accomplish what they want. They've stated various times (indirectly, via interviews) over the years that other things had taken a higher priority (things that aren't strictly SP, monolithic releases).

This is a dumb question but why haven't they done a full remaster of the orange box for consoles?

That would require work, with results. I think they'd rather spend 8 hours a day playing around in the electronics lab then dealing with the mundane world of game coding, deadlines, and the pressure of failure.

Best to just stay under the radar and keep tinkering in the lab.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i agree with those saying there is some implicit promise being broken here. the long and weird teasing is really not amusing if you are a fan of the games. just do it or say it's never getting done. you twiddled your stupid thumbs for so many years that all your HL talent retired or moved on. i'm under no delusion that valve "owes" me anything but i also don't have to like what a boring company they've become.

Surfinn

Also.. considering Marc Laidlaw (the writer for Half-Life) left Valve, there's little hope another his vision will ever see the light of day. Unless he's been done for some years and he contributed whatever was needed to create an eventual sequel.

AmyS

Is HL2 Orange Box worth picking up for Xbox 360 ?

I've only played HL2 a couple of times, and not than for a few minutes each, so basically I haven't really played it.

SlickVic

HL2:Episode 2's ending feels like a TV show that abruptly got cancelled. It's a bizarre anti-climactic way to end a story (obviously since it wasn't meant to be an ending). But here we are 10 years later, and that's the last we got of Half Life (at least officially).

I'm not going to argue Valve is obligated to provide a better conclusion to the story. They are free to make whatever games they want, and if that company has zero interest in making Half Life games anymore (hypothetically), so be it. Still, that doesn't make it less frustrating to wonder what could be in a new Half Life game.

Otheradam

I don't really see it as a cliff hanger per say. I mean, what do you think happens after? She probably griefs and you go around and kill some more stuff.

Electret

This seems likely, though they might find their management structure favorable given its ostensibly high yield of profit per unit labor.

Also, wasn't Gabe recently interviewed about HL2 development? I seem to recall he made some comments regarding the process being hellish, it taking a toll on him, and not wanting to repeat it. If my memory is correct, he would seem to be exerting a lot of personal influence on not greenlighting HL3.

I can understand how massive an undertaking it would be to support HL3 at the level fans would expect. But that in no way satisfies my desire as a fan to see it. You'd hope Valve would have greater ambition, equanimity, and a thirst for the challenge. And with that financial backing, who wouldn't want to see it attempted?

Surfinn

HL2:Episode 2's ending feels like a TV show that abruptly got cancelled. It's a bizarre anti-climactic way to end a story (obviously since it wasn't meant to be an ending). But here we are 10 years later, and that's the last we got of Half Life (at least officially).

I'm not going to argue Valve is obligated to provide a better conclusion to the story. They are free to make whatever games they want, and if that company has zero interest in making Half Life games anymore (hypothetically), so be it. Still, that doesn't make it less frustrating to wonder what could be in a new Half Life game.

Well they're not legally required, but they owe fans an explanation or some sort of communication at the very least so that fans can at least know not to ever expect another HL game.

But yeah, that time has kinda passed anyway I suppose. The damage is done.

This seems likely, though they might find their management structure favorable given its ostensibly high yield of profit per unit labor.

Also, wasn't Gabe recently interviewed about HL2 development? I seem to recall he made some comments regarding the process being hellish, it taking a toll on him, and not wanting to repeat it. If my memory is correct, he would seem to be exerting a lot of personal influence on not greenlighting HL3.

I can understand how massive an undertaking it would be to support HL3 at the level fans would expect. But that in no way satisfies my desire as a fan to see it. You'd hope Valve would have greater ambition, equanimity, and a thirst for the challenge. And with that financial backing, who wouldn't want to see it attempted?

Honestly Gabe has been saying some version of that for the last 7-10 years.

Also, Gabe has stated multiple times that their other plans took priority over doing another huge SP game.

That sort of management resulted because of decision making to step away from SP/monolithic titles, not the other way around.

If that was still a priority for the company, you'd still be seeing game/Steam updates and we'd have HL3 in our libraries.

What fucking shits me is the coy dick teasing by Gabe instead of just saying "it's dead, not happening.bad" he fucks around for a decade plus with motherfucking shit like smithing a crowbar and saying "these things take time". Treating the fan base like a sack of cunts only to be milked by bottom Feeder asset flippers on greenlight. geeet fuuuuucked.

I'm not mad tho.

#whensthesummersale?

Surfinn

What fucking shits me is the coy dick teasing by Gabe instead of just saying "it's dead, not happening.bad" he fucks around for a decade plus with motherfucking shit like smithing a crowbar and saying "these things take time". Treating the fan base like a sack of cunts only to be milked by bottom Feeder asset flippers on greenlight. geeet fuuuuucked.

I'm not mad tho.

#whensthesummersale?

Honestly, Valve had obviously and not so obviously trolled the HL fanbase too many times to count via summer/winter sales, ARGs, you name it. So many people thought it was happening a million times because of the little hints and clues that were purposely scattered.

SlickVic

Well they're not legally required, but they owe fans an explanation or some sort of communication at the very least so that fans can at least know not to ever expect another HL game.

But yeah, that time has kinda passed anyway I suppose. The damage is done.

I would like that too, but honestly, I'm not sure if even Valve knows whether or not they're completely done with Half Life. The series is certainly on hiatus, but 5-10 years from now, if someone over there gets an epiphany of what the next Half Life game should be, gets the rest of the team excited for it, then perhaps there's a passion over there to develop something new. I have to imagine it's hard for Valve close that door completely.
Makes me wonder how much of the development for HL3 (or whatever they were going to call the next one) was just roadblocks of devs just not being able to find a game they were actually excited about making, and then it was eventually just put aside. Just speculation on my part as I have no idea what the actual development looked like the 'next Half Life'.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
An official, canon, graphic novel to just tie it all up would satisfy me, at this point.

Bigfoot

It would be nice if they would finish off the story in comic form or something similar. Release it on Steam to all HL2 owners.

They were really the first ones to try episodic content though, and they failed miserably by giving up on the story in the middle of it. There was a tacit understanding between Valve and buyers that we were paying for a longer story in installments, but that agreement was broken.

So no they don't legally owe us anything, but they broke our trust. If I had known I'd be buying into a half-finished story, I never would've bought or played the episodic content to begin with.

yuraya

You may have given up on Half-Life 3 OP...but Half-Life 3 hasn't given up on you.

I still believe it will happen one day. Gabe doesn't want to live with regret for the rest of his life. One day he will greenlight that shit and it will happen. And it will be amazing.

Surfinn

I would like that too, but honestly, I'm not sure if even Valve knows whether or not they're completely done with Half Life. The series is certainly on hiatus, but 5-10 years from now, if someone over there gets an epiphany of what the next Half Life game should be, gets the rest of the team excited for it, then perhaps there's a passion over there to develop something new. I have to imagine it's hard for Valve close that door completely.
Makes me wonder how much of the development for HL3 (or whatever they were going to call the next one) was just roadblocks of devs just not being able to find a game they were actually excited about making, and then it was eventually just put aside. Just speculation on my part as I have no idea what the actual development looked like the 'next Half Life'.

Yup, good post. There is actually solid evidence of just that (devs not quite knowing what they want from HL) from interviews and other sources of info. I firmly believe it was started and stopped multiple times. There is also a quote or two saying they pretty much started over at one point in time.

It was clear that Valve weren't ever quite sure what they wanted EP3/HL3 to ultimately be.

I just wish they had the courtesy and respect to say "we don't know what's going to happen with Half-Life. We don't know if there will ever be another game made. So, at this point, expect it not to happen until you hear otherwise".

Even that shitty news would have been better than radio silence and trolling the fanbase with every release, sale, ARG.. what have you.

Ugh. What shitty decisions they've made.

An official, canon, graphic novel to just tie it all up would satisfy me, at this point.

Great idea.. this has long been floating around between fans. I hope Laidlaw eventually releases what he has in some form.

You may have given up on Half-Life 3 OP...but Half-Life 3 hasn't given up on you.

I still believe it will happen one day. Gabe doesn't want to live with regret for the rest of his life. One day he will greenlight that shit and it will happen. And it will be amazing.

This is where I'm at. Deep down, I do believe it will happen one day. But I simply cannot hold onto that hope any longer.

I feel like Rey in The Force Awakens. Waited just about as long

"They'll be back.. one day."

And we all know how THAT turned out

selo

I think I'm in the miniority here, but I think its good that we're done with Half Life. 1 was amazing when it came out, 2 didn't have the same effect on me, I consider it a pretty average fps. I wonder if people like 2 and its episodes just because of the name.

And yeah, the ending the OP mentions is kind of sad that they're gonna leave it at that, but honestly Half Life doesn't have a good story, gameplay/systems (for 1 at least) were king.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think he wants it to exist. He just doesn't know what to do with it yet.
You'd think the teams behind HL2 episodes and Portal 2 could deliver a creative and interesting Episode 3. But, nope. It's clearly not a priority.

We all hate it and I agree that the best thing to do is move on. Half-Life 3 will happen eventually, I'm sure of that, but it won't be anytime soon. I believe that Valve will go back to Half-Life once either of the following happens:

- Most big publishers leave Steam and create their own services. Steam already lost EA and I think Activision and Bethesda will probably be next. If the rest of them leave, Steam profits will crater and Valve will need original content to pull people in. Then you'll see all of Valve's big franchises make a comeback, Half-Life included.

- Microsoft somehow succeeds in locking down Windows and Valve has to release a linux-based console as Steam's main platform. A new console needs big exclusives and it doesn't get much bigger than Half-Life.

AAK

Is there a consensus/non-jokingly explanation as to why this game hasn't been made?

Because the amount of time and effort needed for Valve to make another Half Life campaign would make a diminutive amount of money compared to spending their resources of CS:GO, Dota2, and Steam services.

Ionic

Half-Life 3 is going to end up being an incredible VR game that people will try and insist doesn't count as a game.

GamerJM

Banned
I think Half-Life 3 will probably eventually happen, but it might not be in our lifetimes. It might be in so many years that Valve's structure as a company completely changes and nobody who worked on the first games is even alive anymore.

Concept17

HL3?

It's been nearly 8 years since L4D2 was released. A series that is still popular today and has an incredible amount of potential in terms of multiplayer and customization. There's so much room for the series to grow and they're just sitting on it.

You make it sound like they left it that way intentionally. They're more close to those characters in many ways, it can't have been easy for them either.

Top Bottom